I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if we’ll be able to get to the PP lounge in HNL from the SW gates? Our plan is to hang out there for a bit before our flight to SAN.

Honestly, I think it'll be a long walk.

The Priority Pass Lounge that serves food and drinks is Hawaiian's Plumeria Lounge, which is in Terminal 1 (the Interisland Terminal), just past security in the 3rd Floor of Lobby 2 on the map. I believe the Southwest gates are G7-G10 on the other end of the airport.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-6.14.46-PM.png

I've never tried taking the Wiki Wiki shuttle just for the sake of hitting up a lounge. I don't know if that's a possibility.

IIRC, there's a United Club Lounge around G3 - do you have United Club passes?

Would someone with access to the Chase travel portal be willing to look something up for me? I am interested in knowing how many UR would be required to book a flight on Hawaiian Airlines, Tuesday Jan 25th from MCO to HNL nonstop, First Class.

I don’t have any of the Sapphire cards yet, but thinking about getting one.

Many thanks!

This is with the CSR

**THIS IS NOT A DRILL**

CA theme parks can open 4/1 if in Red Tier to CA Residents (with many other restrictions). Official from the governor’s office. Link to DIS chatter on the topic.

ETA: DIS Article
😂 I have Touch of Disney tickets for 4/2.
Tagging DLR peeps. @ten6mom too I think.
Reading anything I can about DLR opening. I know they are opening to CA residents only.
Any rumors as to when they might open to all, or negative testers, or vaccinated peeps?
Reaching for anything as I have rebooked last years DLR/Universal trip for end of June. I have rebooked too many times already and will have to push it to 2022 if DLR is not open to all.

Congrats!!

Regarding Amex, I would love to work out a long term plan for how to maximize MRs for myself, DH, and possibly even DD (P3). I feel I understand the basic plan for Chase cards but, when it comes to working out a long term plan for MRs, I am at a loss. Right now, I have 2 amex biz hotel cards and DH has 1 so we have used a few slots already with non-MR cards. Is there a recommended order to start getting MR earning cards with 2 or 3 persons?
In my experience, the Amex Membership Rewards program is much more complicated than the URs program. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that MRs are much more complicated.

With Chase URs, you have the 2 Sapphires, 2 Freedoms for personal cards and 3 Inks for business card. It's very easy to understand what each of the cards brings to the table, you can combine all of your URs between cards and even spouses. The transfer partners are 1:1, The portal has flexibility, they cash out at 1cpp, etc.

With Amex MRs, you first want to evaluate redemption options before you start earning. Are you planning to get a Schwab Platinum card and cash out at 1.25cpp? Do the travel partners interest you? Are you going for Home Depot gift cards at 1cpp?

Then you need to remember that Amex does not allow you combine points across spouses. So if you both wanted to cash out, you'd need 2 Schwab Plats. And there's also the dreaded pop-up where if you aren't keeping Amex happy with your spend levels you might find yourself locked out of future earning.

The cards are all over the place too and most have hefty AFs. The personal cards will count towards 5/24. But you have a ton of options, ED, EDP, Gold, Green, Plat, Schwab Plat, Biz Plat, Biz Gold, Biz Green, Blue Business Plus (BBP).

Each one has a different sign-up bonus, varying annual fees, and different category multipliers. It would be really hard to give a solid recommendation on what card(s) to get here. If you're looking for a no-AF option to store your MRs, the BBP card is a good idea since it's a biz card BUT it will count against your 4 CC limit. Charge cards have a different limit, you can have 10 of those.

So hopefully this scattered post gives you a sense of why there isn't necessarily a roadmap on Amex MRs. If you're looking for a big bonus with a big MSR, then maybe Biz Plat is for you... but honestly you could probably come up with a reason to get any of these cards (or a reason to get none of them).

We are planning Hawaii next summer too... I've got 2 time frames to work with:
Right after school ends Memorial day weekend May 28-June 13 (17 days) or
June 18-July 5th (18 days) including travel dates.
Plans so far:
Fly into KOA - 2 nights - just want to visit Volcano NP - something close to the NP
KOA to OGG - 5 nights - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
OGG to HNL - 8 nights (3 nights at AUL). Thinking Hyatt then move to AUL - if we did end of June we would spend Fourth of July at Aulani.

Man this trip is getting expensive really fast - might have to reduce AUL to 2 nights.

What dates would be best?

Personally, I would choose May. Many schools are still in session, so you may get better rates or fewer travelers.
Sounds like a fabulous itinerary!

Honestly, I think it'll be a long walk.

The Priority Pass Lounge that serves food and drinks is Hawaiian's Plumeria Lounge, which is in Terminal 1 (the Interisland Terminal), just past security in the 3rd Floor of Lobby 2 on the map. I believe the Southwest gates are G7-G10 on the other end of the airport.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-06-at-6.14.46-PM.png

I've never tried taking the Wiki Wiki shuttle just for the sake of hitting up a lounge. I don't know if that's a possibility.

IIRC, there's a United Club Lounge around G3 - do you have United Club passes?
Thanks. We are boarding at G10. We’ll probably give it a whirl since we’ll have 2-3 hours to kill and no United Club passes so PP is the only option.

I only had United miles from the canceled trip to Australia. We typically fly SW.

Plans so far:
Fly into KOA - 2 nights - just want to visit Volcano NP - something close to the NP
OGG to HNL - 8 nights (3 nights at AUL). Thinking Hyatt then move to AUL - if we did end of June we would spend Fourth of July at Aulani.

Man this trip is getting expensive really fast - might have to reduce AUL to 2 nights.

I would love to spend 17 or 18 days in Hawaii! We were at Aulani several years ago on the 4th. At that time, there were fireworks on the beach and they were great. Not sure if they were still doing it or if there is anyway to find out. Aulani point bookings are usually cheaper in June, so that might be a thought.

Would someone with access to the Chase travel portal be willing to look something up for me? I am interested in knowing how many UR would be required to book a flight on Hawaiian Airlines, Tuesday Jan 25th from MCO to HNL nonstop, First Class.

I don’t have any of the Sapphire cards yet, but thinking about getting one.

Many thanks!
165,849 points on Hawaiian Airlines departing at 7:45 am
ETA: I didn’t see that someone already posted, but it looks like it’s gone up since then. Hopefully it goes back down for you!

Lots of trips to Atlanta in my future. DD decided on GA Tech. Thankful for a healthy stash of RR points. I'm doing my research on Hilton cards since there seem to be some decent options near campus. Now just hoping for a somewhat normal freshman year for these kids who basically lost their senior year in high school.

And my Away bag is arriving today. Can't wait!

Congratulations to your DD!!! I really, really hope that the next school year will be somewhat normal.

I had some pretty scary health stuff last year that made me wonder if I would live to my 40th bday.(June 2022)
I swore if I came out ok, I would go to Hawaii/ Aulani for my 40th. I’ve been trying hard to have a plan in place to get 5 people there June 14-26,2022.
I ran it by DD who will be graduating high school that month. They don’t release graduation dates until close to June. I told her if there are snow days or graduation was late she might miss it. She was fine with that.
Now, today she asked if we could plan the trip for another time😞 She doesn’t want to miss graduation.
I am last of my 5 coworkers in seniority so I won’t be able to take 10 days in July or August. I don’t know what to do🤷‍♀️
I understand DD wanting to attend her graduation ceremony. Just really sad I cant spend my 40th in Hawaii.
I am left with my April break 2022 which is over April or pushing back to June 2023.
Im thinking April sounds ok. That gives me even less time to get my points in place.

I'm so sorry that the timing isn't working out for you. You definitely deserve that trip. IMHO April is an ideal time to visit the islands - we've been there during the summer and during spring break and I honestly prefer the spring break weather. It can get way too hot in the summer.

Did they reverse the order? Seems like they typically went north first and then moved to the Mediterranean later in the summer. Maybe it is better monetarily since I think they had a hard time filling the late summer (Sept) cruises.

If they did then they did it years and years ago. I've been tracking the Magic summer cruises for the last few years and they always head to the Med first (makes sense since May is still "winter" in Norway and Iceland. What I have noticed is that they mix up the order of those Northern European cruises - the one we took to N/I/S was in mid August, then 2019 the same cruise was offered in July, and then for 2020 it was scheduled for mid August again (that's the one that got canceled :sad2: ). I've been in the Med region in late Summer and wouldn't do that again.

Plans so far:

I would pick the first dates. Some schools will still be in session so few people and a little less $$. I haven’t been yet, but it looks like it just gets hotter, busier and more expensive as June goes on.

I just want to double-check: on the UR home page, it says "Spend $4,000 by 5/30/21 to earn your 60,000 bonus points." Counting backwards, does that mean the first statement will close on 3/30? I want to ensure we reach MSR before the first statement closes so I can use PYB on groceries next month.

I just want to double-check: on the UR home page, it says "Spend $4,000 by 5/30/21 to earn your 60,000 bonus points." Counting backwards, does that mean the first statement will close on 3/30? I want to ensure we reach MSR before the first statement closes so I can use PYB on groceries next month.
No, your statement closing date should be on the account page.

My husband has a CIP, CIC (PC from a CIP), and CIU. He was just charged the second annual fee on the CIP. He is 0/24 and would like to get him back into getting cards now that house construction and refinancing is complete. My plans for him are more Chase cards for UR and then try to get him an Amex - a Hilton and some MR earning card - if he is in Amex' good graces again. If no Amex, then start him on Hyatt. Should I cancel his CIP to reduce the amount of Chase Business cards or is it better to PC it? I'd like another Chase business for him to keep him on a good pace for the next 24 months but not sure where the number of cards becomes a problem. He actually has a small ebay business.

Tagging DLR peeps. @ten6mom too I think.
Reading anything I can about DLR opening. I know they are opening to CA residents only.
Any rumors as to when they might open to all, or negative testers, or vaccinated peeps?
Reaching for anything as I have rebooked last years DLR/Universal trip for end of June. I have rebooked too many times already and will have to push it to 2022 if DLR is not open to all.
Unfortunately this is entirely dependent on the governor and his COVID policies, updates to which are completely unpredictable.

Personally I don’t think I will go to DLR this summer. I expect heavy handed state mandated Covid policies to still be in place (did you see the very real discussions about limiting screaming in CA theme parks?). As of now indoor dining is not allowed inside theme parks regardless of the county tier. Avengers will not be open. Time indoors will be limited by the state so very limited AC breaks.

Frankly I would throw in the towel and go 2022 now. Plan something not CA for 2021.

My husband has a CIP, CIC (PC from a CIP), and CIU. He was just charged the second annual fee on the CIP. He is 0/24 and would like to get him back into getting cards now that house construction and refinancing is complete. My plans for him are more Chase cards for UR and then try to get him an Amex - a Hilton and some MR earning card - if he is in Amex' good graces again. If no Amex, then start him on Hyatt. Should I cancel his CIP to reduce the amount of Chase Business cards or is it better to PC it? I'd like another Chase business for him to keep him on a good pace for the next 24 months but not sure where the number of cards becomes a problem. He actually has a small ebay business.
Either is fine. If you don’t need it, close it. Since I have a CIC, I just cancel the CIP as the AF posts.

It's tricky because they never seem to list the statement closing date for the first month! I can tell you our business card experience, not sure if it works exactly the same for personal. DH opened a CIC on 1/27, it says to make the MSR by 5/1, and the first statement closed on 2/28. Again, this is a biz card so no guarantees I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter