• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I’m pretty sure I’m going to get the United Quest. My most recent cards are:

CIC - applied Feb 23, 2021
CSP/CSR - applied Oct 26, 2020
SW Priority - applied Jan 2020 (closed Jan 2021)

Am I ok to apply now? Or should I wait?

Also my CSR and CSP credit limits are somewhat high. Am I better off reducing those before I apply, or keeping them as is so I can move credit to the United card if necessary?

Just finished my taxes. I hate having a K-1 and very much miss my W-2. But I was within $800 on my estimated tax payments so I'm pleased with myself. And H&R Block online cost > $200 this year:(
That's good with your estimates. I'm about 2k off! Last year I overpaid and this year underpaid. Capital gains got me.

That's good with your estimates. I'm about 2k off! Last year I overpaid and this year underpaid. Capital gains got me.
Same here. I used my Biz Plat to pay estimated taxes before Q4 deadline and took care of most of the MSR that way, so I have some coming back to me even with the capital gains.

Ok so I’m pretty sure I’m going to get the United Quest. My most recent cards are:

Also my CSR and CSP credit limits are somewhat high. Am I better off reducing those before I apply, or keeping them as is so I can move credit to the United card if necessary?
You have a better chance of instant approval if you lower the limits.

The recommended spacing between Chase applications is 3 months...but you can apply now....
As far as the CLs...what is your CL to household income Chase usually wants in under 50% or 75K total ....

The recommended spacing between Chase applications is 3 months...but you can apply now....
As far as the CLs...what is your CL to household income Chase usually wants in under 50% or 75K total ....
I’m at $13k on Biz cards and under $35k on personal, so sounds like I’m ok.
I’m under 60 days but I don’t have any plans to get additional cards any time soon so I may go for it - especially because we’ve got some medical expenses coming up that would be perfect to hit the MSR.
thanks!!

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. After not traveling for more than a year I am really out of the loop here.

Usually you can tell by the configuration of the J cabin, if the seats are straight they aren't lie flat, if they are herringbone they probably are. You may have to look up the equipment list to find out. Going to the specific airline forum on Flyertalk is usually a good way to check also. What is the route?

I believe with United you have to transfer to one of the foreign carriers and use their programs to book. I don't know offhand which ones. Or you can book through the Chase travel portal at 1.25 or 1.5 cpp.

Thanks. We do have a CSR. I did look at things this way - was just hoping there was some easy way to tell without looking at each flight. I did find a good one last night (of course I know they are swapping planes and canceling things left and right these days, though). It's SFO>ORD. MDW could work, but I didn't see anything I liked with that route.

URs can transfer to United.

Great! Thank you!

You can look up your flight and plane on Seat Guru dot com. It will show you if the seats are truly lie flat or angle flat.

You can transfer UR to United 1:1.However, I’d advise checking paying through the UR portal especially if you have a CSR which will make your points worth 1.5 cents each. Then compare which way will cost you less points.

If you have a biz Plat Amex you can book through their travel portal and pay with MR points. Then, in a few weeks you would be refunded 35% of your points.

If there is saver award space on the United flight you can also transfer your MR points to Air Canada and book the United flight that way. MMS article here for more details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/millio.../amex-points-for-united-airlines-flights/amp/

Thank you for this. DH does have a biz plat. Would United have to be his "chosen airline" for him to get the 35% back to work? He also has a CSR. I was wondering if they would treat us badly if we booked this way (Marriott was not nice to us when we booked through the Chase portal or as they called it "a third party" and made things pretty difficult).

This is true, but @mmmears keep in mind equipment swap outs happen ALL THE TIME so just because you book one configuration doesn't mean you'll board that one. :rolleyes: I've benefitted (united Polaris whoo hoo) and been burned (Aer Lingus old biz, boo) with plane changes.

Yes, this is my big fear. AA royally screwed us over the last time we flew domestic with them and they switched planes and shoved us all in the back, separately of course. I still haven't forgiven them for that one. And, of course, as you might have suspected, I have my eyes on Polaris. ;)

Thank you to everyone who tried to help me. After not traveling for more than a year I am really out of the loop here.

Thanks. We do have a CSR. I did look at things this way - was just hoping there was some easy way to tell without looking at each flight. I did find a good one last night (of course I know they are swapping planes and canceling things left and right these days, though). It's SFO>ORD. MDW could work, but I didn't see anything I liked with that route.

Thank you for this. DH does have a biz plat. Would United have to be his "chosen airline" for him to get the 35% back to work? He also has a CSR. I was wondering if they would treat us badly if we booked this way (Marriott was not nice to us when we booked through the Chase portal or as they called it "a third party" and made things pretty difficult).

Yes, this is my big fear. AA royally screwed us over the last time we flew domestic with them and they switched planes and shoved us all in the back, separately of course. I still haven't forgiven them for that one. And, of course, as you might have suspected, I have my eyes on Polaris. ;)
A quick check shows a lot of lie flat opportunities on SFO-ORD on UA, you probably aren't going to get many going into MDW.
Airlines generally don't have a big difference in how they treat third party customers vs how they treat those that book directly. Nowhere near where hotels do. To that Marriot you're just another Expedia customer, which tends to cause the hotels all kinds of issues.

Sending
I’m at $13k on Biz cards and under $35k on personal, so sounds like I’m ok.
I’m under 60 days but I don’t have any plans to get additional cards any time soon so I may go for it - especially because we’ve got some medical expenses coming up that would be perfect to hit the MSR.
thanks!!

sending:tink:for an instant approval

If you are purchasing an economy ticket then the 35% back kicks in only on your chosen airline. If your ticket is for business or first then it doesn’t matter what airline you choose.

I’ve had some challenges when booking some hotels through the UR travel portal with points. Never had an issue when using Fine Resorts & Hotels booked through Amex.

DH applied for Chase Ink Business Cash in February and had no problem getting an instant approval.
I applied for Chase Ink Business Cash this month and needed to review. I had recently closed a few CIP cards so I think that had something to do with it. I see now that after speaking with the customer service team that I have been approved. I have some big business bills coming up, so I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to get here.

I have about 525,000 UR points in my account right now. (DH and I combine all our points onto my CSR.) I love the pay yourself back that we've had for a while now. Has anyone heard if it's extending past 4/30? Has anyone tried buying gift cards with other purchases at the grocery or home improvement stores to "cash out" at 1.5x point value? I think this may be the best for us to do since we typically find better deals with our timeshare and military discounts for travel.

TIA for any help!

DH applied for Chase Ink Business Cash in February and had no problem getting an instant approval.
I applied for Chase Ink Business Cash this month and needed to review. I had recently closed a few CIP cards so I think that had something to do with it. I see now that after speaking with the customer service team that I have been approved. I have some big business bills coming up, so I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to get here.

I have about 525,000 UR points in my account right now. (DH and I combine all our points onto my CSR.) I love the pay yourself back that we've had for a while now. Has anyone heard if it's extending past 4/30? Has anyone tried buying gift cards with other purchases at the grocery or home improvement stores to "cash out" at 1.5x point value? I think this may be the best for us to do since we typically find better deals with our timeshare and military discounts for travel.

TIA for any help!
Congrats! I too am impatiently waiting, in my case for P2's CIU to arrive in the mail. I didn't do this (and now I'm wishing I had), but I've read you can SM Chase to expedite delivery of your Ink card, so if you get on that right away you may receive your card within a couple of days.

The PYB feature has been extended to 9/30/2021, and I've used it numerous times to buy gift cards and done PYB with no problem. Looking at my CSR UR portal, even though the PYB has been extended, all of my previous eligible grocery purchases expire at the end of this month (even ones that were made at the end of March). So it would probably make sense to hold off on any large gc purchases until May to allow yourself the full 90 days for PYB. Maybe Chase can get that fixed before May, but I wouldn't count on it.

UA and AA don't use MDW. MDW is primarily SW (WN) and DL. If looking for Chicago, ORD will have way more flights.

You can use Google flights to help narrow it down. Search flights/date, narrow it down to First then when you see the list of flights click the arrow on right to open where it will show seat type.11DA8CB2-26E4-40EE-96A6-557F47F52341.png

Last edited:
Hello experts! Can anyone tell me how Citi bank is about churning?
I have about $5000 I have to spend soon. I was looking for airline cards. We fly PHL to MCO primarily, so we are limited on which airlines we use. We have a ton of SW points already and the JetBlue card didn’t look like it was worth much, so I am looking into AA.
The thing is, we already have 2 AA cards. I have the old AAdvantage Platinum select (opened in 2015) and DH has CitiBusiness (opened in early 2019).
We never closed either out (Idk why). If we were to close them out and get new cards would that be a problem? How long of a waiting period?
Or would it just be better for DH to add on a personal card since he has a business card? I would have him do the Platinum Select for $2500 spend and then possibly do another $2500 on a different card somewhere
I’d appreciate any advice or input you have.
Thank you!

DP for the Lowes Amex offers, 10% and $25/$500. I bought two fridge filters, some pringles and 2 variable Amazon cards. Wanted $200 on each. She had to call a manager, they looked at my ID, and my credit card, noted the names matched and rang them up no problem. Got the "you used your offer email" before I got to the car. Now hopefully the $25 triggered too. Guess I won't be using dh's card though, since they scrutinized the names.

Just wondering if anyone has been able to take advantage of the group order function for UBER eats with Amex credits for two people. DH has $15 and I have $25 now each month, and it would be really nice to get rid of them in one fell swoop. I tried to play around with the group order function on UBER eats, but I couldn't figure out whether it would take the UBER eats credits automatically from both accounts?

I find the food credits by far the hardest to use. I rarely use my Amex golf $10 credit for door dash, shake shack, etc.

Anyone have any creative use for the Dell $100 each 6 months? I've bought so many computers over the past few years with the Amex Business Plat there is no room for any more, and it seems as if they have gotten rid of a lot of their "accessories."

I still can't believe I was able to get the 100k offer w/10x groceries and gas for the Personal Plat without a popup, but I confirmed the offer after the card arrived by asking how long I have to meet minimum spend. Good thing I was on chat or I would have laughed when they said October 1! I met it about 4 hours later when I charged part of my estimated taxes! The MRs pretty much appeared right away. I also had the 20k MR offer for pay over time so now I'm flush again :)

are u looking to find J or Y?
also, have u checked out the portal on the same flights?

are u looking to find J or Y?
also, have u checked out the portal on the same flights?
I’m getting better at earning points, but I’m still pretty much a newbie at earning points so I don’t even know the difference between J and Y 😀. When I originally booked our flights for July 2020, I got round-trip seats for three of us for 60 K United miles each. I’m hoping to find something similar to that for our trip July 2022. Since flights aren’t open that far out yet, I haven’t been able to look at prices or points yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter