I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, depending on the airline going through LHR can cost quite a bit in taxes and fees. Not worth it for flying in coach. That said, if it's a lie flat seat on BA, then I'm ok with paying the taxes and using the miles for the comfort.
Lie flat seats on AA for 192k miles and $328?

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here! I still have a lot to learn and catch up on, but via another thread this group was recommended. We are going to be doing some big spending in the next few months and I want to make sure I make the right card choice to maximize benefits! Ok, here's the info for you gurus:

• Neither me nor my P2 have applied for or received any cards in the past 24 months.
  • I currently put about $3000 on cards monthly; however, in the next four months, we anticipate $10k+ in additional expenditures that can be put on a card due to kid's summer camp and kitchen reno payments.
  • We always pay our credit cards in full each pay period - every two weeks.
  • We fly out of BWI or MDT (Harrisburg). MDT is much closer, but SW only flies out of BWI or PHL; BWI typically has cheaper SW flights than PHL.
  • Speaking of SW, we currently have 82,000 in SW RR, attained by using the Chase SW card.
  • We currently have $123 in Disney Rewards (and reading the benefits of some of the cards you all use, I feel like a sucker for putting my eggs in the Chase Disney Visa basket!)
  • We do NOT have a preferred hotel program; we like to stay in Air BnBs/VRBOs when traveling.

Future trips:
  • May 2022 - renting DVC points (so need cash), using SW points to fly, need to buy Disney park tickets
  • Summer 2023 - Disneyland/SoCal - renting DVC points OR Good Neighbor Hotel, planning to use SW points but need to ensure will have enough after May 2022 usage
  • 2025 OR 2026 - Hawaii - split stay between Aulani and rental on a different island. Again, planning on SW points to fly
Currently, I use a Chase Amazon card for Amazon, drug store, gas, and restaurant purchases; the Southwest card for large bills (kid's daycare, big vet bills, the like), and Disney card for everything else. I feel like there is a better way, and you guys probably know what it is 😊
Welcome! You must be close to my neck of the woods! (I am near the MD/PA line on the MD side.) We fly out of BWI also. I have looked at MDT flights but they are sparse.

The CSP/CSR MDD (that you have probably seen recommended a million times) is your best place to start. URs can transfer to SW to help cover flights, cashed out, transferred to Hyatt, etc.

MDD just means you apply for CSP or CSR day 1 (best on M-Th in case you need to call), get approved, another card on day 2, get approved. It must be the next day to work. So Wed CSP, Thurs CSR.

We just went to HI for Spring Break. Only to Oahu. We flew United to Oahu (again you can transfer URs to UA) and flew SW to San Diego, spent the night, SW to BWI to come home.

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here! I still have a lot to learn and catch up on, but via another thread this group was recommended. We are going to be doing some big spending in the next few months and I want to make sure I make the right card choice to maximize benefits! Ok, here's the info for you gurus:

• Neither me nor my P2 have applied for or received any cards in the past 24 months.
  • I currently put about $3000 on cards monthly; however, in the next four months, we anticipate $10k+ in additional expenditures that can be put on a card due to kid's summer camp and kitchen reno payments.
  • We fly out of BWI or MDT (Harrisburg). MDT is much closer, but SW only flies out of BWI or PHL; BWI typically has cheaper SW flights than PHL.
  • Speaking of SW, we currently have 82,000 in SW RR, attained by using the Chase SW card.
  • We currently have $123 in Disney Rewards (and reading the benefits of some of the cards you all use, I feel like a sucker for putting my eggs in the Chase Disney Visa basket!)
  • We do NOT have a preferred hotel program; we like to stay in Air BnBs/VRBOs when traveling.

Future trips:
  • May 2022 - renting DVC points (so need cash), using SW points to fly, need to buy Disney park tickets
  • Summer 2023 - Disneyland/SoCal - renting DVC points OR Good Neighbor Hotel, planning to use SW points but need to ensure will have enough after May 2022 usage
  • 2025 OR 2026 - Hawaii - split stay between Aulani and rental on a different island. Again, planning on SW points to fly
Currently, I use a Chase Amazon card for Amazon, drug store, gas, and restaurant purchases; the Southwest card for large bills (kid's daycare, big vet bills, the like), and Disney card for everything else. I feel like there is a better way, and you guys probably know what it is 😊
Welcome out of the shadows!
As iflossu pointed out, the Chase sapphire preferred and reserved are the perfect way to earn the most Chase URs and cash them out at a higher rate. But if you aren’t ready for a premium card start with the CSP. Then P2 can use your support link for the CSP. I’ve cashed out $3,000 to pay for our summer Disney trip, which is 200,000 URs using our CSR or 240,000 URs using a CSP.

From there you can add chase Biz cards to accumulate more URs.

If you have the UR to use and don't have anything planned for them, I'd transfer them. I don't know where the Hilton is in Tokyo to comment on that.

But did want to say, the Toy Story Hotel at TDL is supposed to open later this year, so that could be an option but I don't know that it'd be on the UR portal.

I do have plans to use my existing URs in May and probably won't get substantially more until the fall. I didn't know about the Toy Story Hotel...I don't think the on-site TDL hotels are bookable on the portal but it might be worth the cash. The pictures online make it look so cute!

Lie flat seats on AA for 192k miles and $328?

Is that one way or RT? Is that for one or more people? Is it in J or F class? I’d be good with the $328 in taxes even for only one person. But 192k AA miles is a little steep for one person even in F. No way I’d do it in J. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it in F but I’d be comparing my different options.

And Japan is booked. Again. Woo. It's anticlimactic the third time you book the big once-in-a-lifetime international trip - I guess I'll get excited if I'm finally on the plane next March.

I do need some advice on booking our hotels. Our original plan was 5 nights in Tokyo at the Hyatt Regency, 5 nights in Kyoto at the Park Hyatt, and 3 nights at Tokyo Disney at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. With this latest rebooking we added an extra night in Kyoto, but now I am short 30k Hyatt points for the first five nights in Tokyo. Should I 1) stick with plan A and just transfer 30k URs to Hyatt, use 170k Hilton points at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, and use my remaining 130k Hilton points on a domestic trip this fall? OR 2) switch to the Hilton Tokyo for the first 5 nights, burn most of my Hilton points, and then just figure out something else for the Tokyo Disney part of the trip (Hotel Miracosta if I win the lottery, or URs through the portal, because at least those are refundable if plans change again). Besides "earn more points" (I have PYB plans for all of my future SUBs), is there a 3rd option I'm not considering?

I'm probably overthinking this but DH hates it when I try to process all my thoughts at him so y'all get to give me your opinions :upsidedow

I think the Hilton 5th night free is a good deal, so I'd do something that takes advantage of that. I'm planning to do 5 nights at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. Planning to go to Odaiba when we're there since looks like it takes about the same amount of time as from the Tokyo Andaz.

I do have plans to use my existing URs in May and probably won't get substantially more until the fall. I didn't know about the Toy Story Hotel...I don't think the on-site TDL hotels are bookable on the portal but it might be worth the cash. The pictures online make it look so cute!

You might look into Hyatt for TDL. There's no info on the site at the moment because they are changing it from a Hyatt Place to Hyatt Regency and it's supposed to open this summer. But the first review on trip advisor mentions a shuttle that's 15 minutes to the parks. I can't imagine they wouldn't keep that. It's not as close, but it could help solve your point issues since you only need 3 nights there. And then like @wanderlust7 said you could do the 5th night free in Tokyo at the Hilton.

If anyone is still sitting on their 10% Lowe's Amex offer, you can buy a $200 vgc in-store and get a $15 Lowe's gc (DoC post), limit 2 exp. 4/28. It works on the lower fee grocery everywhere vgcs too. My local Lowe's restricts customers to one gift card (of any type, any amount) per purchase. Otherwise I would've stacked the $25 off $500 Amex offer as well.
Can I use a VGC at Target or grocery stores to then buy a Disney Gift card? Amazon maybe?

I'm looking at flights ORD-LHR next March. Our dates aren't open yet but I'm seeing an early flight which is consistently less miles than the overnight (preferred) flights. It arrives LHR at 10:30 pm. Assuming this would get us to a hotel well after midnight. Anyone frequenting LHR know what it's like there late night? Taxis available?
Also, I know there is currently a quarantine restriction in place. Are people booking assuming restrictions will be lifted but plan to cancel if they are not?

If you end up on the early flight, I would use a car service. We did so the last time and it was super easy and they are there waiting for you, holding a sign. I looked and couldn’t find who we used but Tripadvisor forum will have great recommendations.
Also, we love London Walks if you plan to do any walking tours. And biscuit decorating in Notting Hill. Stayed at the Royal Garden Hotel the last trip and it was a great location next to the park.
FYI, I just got an alert today from Scott’s cheap flights about $400ish airfares to the UK through March 2022, multiple airlines and destinations, some as open jaw. I personally have gotten airfare Chicago to London, departing Paris for in the 400s (economy, of course). I would have a hard time paying nearly that in just taxes.

How are people planning to prove they are vaccinated? I expect even more travel (keeping it on topic) things opening up to those fully vaccinated but I am not sure how to prove you are vaccinated.. I have my CDC vaccine card but really anyone could forge something like that. I guess my state's department of health has a record but haven't been able to figure that out. Am I the only one thinking about that?

Depending on your state, you may have a state vaccine registry. For WI, for example, you enter you name and SSN and it will pull up a history of your immunizations.

Just finished booking our Airbnbs and VRBOs for Iceland this summer. Met my CSP MSR. We are staying mostly along the Southern coast and the Golden Circle. If anyone has any MUST DOS, SEES or EATS, I’d love to hear about them.

Also, Iceland Air has good deals right now. Iceland is open to vaccinated Americans without quarantine. Children test upon arrival but then follow the quarantine requirements of the parent (no quarantine if test negative and parents are vaxxed).

Sorry to respond so late, but a friend recommended the tomato soup farm restaurant (somewhere on the Golden Circle tour) and we loved it. You eat inside a huge greenhouse where they grow tomatoes hydroponically. They also keep bees there to pollinate the plants. The soup was great, the bread was fantastic, and it was just plain fun. I think you're coving the areas I'd recommend in terms of locations.

Is that one way or RT? Is that for one or more people? Is it in J or F class? I’d be good with the $328 in taxes even for only one person. But 192k AA miles is a little steep for one person even in F. No way I’d do it in J. Doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do it in F but I’d be comparing my different options.

I agree with Calypso - 192k miles for one person is a lot, but I know that AA miles tend to work that way. I'd also pay the $328 for lie flat seats in any case.

If you can take the express train from LHR to Paddington, that's what I'd recommend. I'm not sure if you'd have time as the last train departs at 11:25pm. I'd have to guess that unless you arrive a half hour or so early, you'd miss the last train. If you are traveling business class you will get tickets to use the 'express' customs line, which can save a lot of time.

Taxis are plentiful, but you might want to look at booking a car in advance so they are waiting for you after exiting arrivals with your luggage.

Ds and I are taking a daytime flight to London next year. I am excited for it since the overnight flight is too short for me to get a good night sleep. We will arrive at our hotel after 10:00pm, relax for a while and go to sleep.

I do not plan on cancelling our trip next year (March, 2022) unless the sky falls! Seriously. Our ultimate destinations are Australia and NZ and if they aren't allowing foreigners at that time, we will spend 10 or 12 days touring London and Scotland and come home.
Ditto the car booking in advance for a late night. I've had good luck with Blackberry cars. Uber has been off and on in London (I've lost track), but I wouldn't rely on them that late anyway and taxis can be VERY expensive. I prefer knowing what I'm in for ahead of time :)

I've managed five trips to LHR during the pandemic and I'm headed back in a couple weeks. I'm really hoping they make the US a "green" country on 5/17. That would allow us to skip quarantine and just test 3 times. As it stands right now, I"m in for 5 tests and I've been fully vaccinated for months. I miss the pre-quarantine days :)

Yes, depending on the airline going through LHR can cost quite a bit in taxes and fees. Not worth it for flying in coach. That said, if it's a lie flat seat on BA, then I'm ok with paying the taxes and using the miles for the comfort.
I'm like you. I do BA business/first seats all the time and just view the taxes as the cost of comfort! For my May trip, I'm in Club World, but for late June with the family it's First for all of us. I hope the Concord lounge is back open by then. I actually had the opportunity to upgrade my return to First, but I didn't do it since the Concord lounge and spas are one of the biggest perks. The terrace is fine, but it's not the same!

I'm like you. I do BA business/first seats all the time and just view the taxes as the cost of comfort! For my May trip, I'm in Club World, but for late June with the family it's First for all of us. I hope the Concord lounge is back open by then. I actually had the opportunity to upgrade my return to First, but I didn't do it since the Concord lounge and spas are one of the biggest perks. The terrace is fine, but it's not the same!

Definitely not the same. I was sad to read that BA is permanently closing the Elemis Spas at LHR and JFK. That was always a nice little treat.

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about booking through the Chase UR portal.

Currently, it’s about 1,200 UR points a ticket cheaper for me to book directly through the UR portal than through the JetBlue portal.
However, I’m apprehensive to book given that there is only one direct flight on JetBlue for my day. With so much unknown due to Covid, I feel like there is a higher than usual probability this will get cancelled or changed to a flight with a layover (layover is a deal breaker for me).

Do you know if they were to change the flight, could I opt to cancel and get all of my UR points returned? If not, what are my options?

Future trips:
Welcome! As others have mentioned, the CSP or the CSP/CSR combo is a great place to start. In case you didn't know, just wanted to mention that you can only get the Sapphire cards every 48 months. Don't feel bad about the Disney visa. Several of us here have or have had this card. There is a time and a place for it, and sometimes, like right now, it offers spending incentives. :)

Just found out yesterday that someone applied for unemployment using DH’s SS#. I’ll gladly accept any advice on things we need to do. We have put a freeze on his credit at all three bureaus, reported it to our state, and been in touch with his employer. In process is SS and I’ll have to look into IRS today. Nothing else seems out of place so far. Any recommendations re identity theft insurance? Currently don’t have it, but I guess maybe it’s a good idea.

eta we also added a fraud alert to the credit bureaus

Anyone had luck with Marriott expending certificates lately? I have a 50K certificate that I wish they would extend for a year... it hasn't been expended at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter