I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to share another case of Citi being Citi. Ordered dinner last night, used my Citi card which was promptly denied. I quickly got a text asking me if it was my charge, I responded yes. Then I got an email and I replied yes, it was my charge. Charge still denied so I called, told the guy it was my charge but now he wants all sorts of info I'm not willing to provide. So I said no thanks. Tonight I get another text, and an email, saying I won't be able to use my card until I contact them. So I call the number on my card, guy asks me my security word. The Citi website says: we will not ask you to provide any of the following: account number, security word, user ID or password... I explain this to the man on the phone, citi website says you won't ask me that. He says I need your security word. I ask to talk to a supervisor. He puts me on hold for 15 minutes comes back and says no one is available yet due to 'a high volume of calls' and wants me to keep holding. I said Citi texted and emailed me telling me to call ASAP but there's no one to talk with? No I'm not holding longer, thanks anyway. I hung up. I gave them all the 'fraud' info they wanted 3 times yesterday but now they want me to give them more info, which their own website explicitly says they won't ask for. I guess my account is locked and I'll be closing the card 🤷🏼‍♀️
Usually that warning says don’t give any of that info if Citi calls you. In both of your instances you called Citi. The reason a security word exists is so you can give it to Citi when you call them. It’s also common for a cc company to need your account number so not sharing it with them when you call them doesn’t make sense.

For some reason I thought I had until the end of June to use my 10x MR at grocery and gas on my plat but I don’t, it ends June 3! Feeling a little like a deer in headlights. What do I do! I won’t be able to max it out full value since I’ve also been working on 5x UR grocery on a freedom card I got last summer and I don’t want to raise the rat’s eyebrows with my sudden large grocery purchases. But I want to get something done before June 3. I’m thinking about maybe getting a $150 Kroger gift card plus misc grocery purchases about every 2-3 days until then. If I keep it <$200 but more frequent I’m thinking that will work. Just thinking out loud here but chime in if you have thoughts on this!

Anyone know the best way to use 5th night free and a FNC at a Hilton resort? Do I need to call the resort to book?
Just to be clear, are you trying to use FNCs to cover 5 nights but only pay with 4 FNC? If so, it doesn’t work that way. When you use actual points, you get the 5th night free but for FNC, you would use 5. To use FNC, you need to call Hilton. The number is on the email about your FNC.

I have to say, they have the worst system since you can’t see the certs in your account and the need to call.

You should be able to book online. Have you tried that?
Just to be clear, are you trying to use FNCs to cover 5 nights but only pay with 4 FNC? If so, it doesn’t work that way. When you use actual points, you get the 5th night free but for FNC, you would use 5. To use FNC, you need to call Hilton. The number is on the email about your FNC.

I have to say, they have the worst system since you can’t see the certs in your account and the need to call.
Thanks, I’ll call the resort as soon as my points post.

I’m trying to stay a total of 6 nights; pay for 4 with points, get 5th free, then use FNC for a 6th night.

Thanks, I’ll call the resort as soon as my points post.

I’m trying to stay a total of 6 nights; pay for 4 with points, get 5th free, then use FNC for a 6th night.
I booked my room reservation with points online, and then called Hilton customer service to book the final night with my FNC. You will have 2 separate reservations, but in my experience if you contact the hotel ahead of time, or at check in, they are very accommodating at keeping you in the same room.

For some reason I thought I had until the end of June to use my 10x MR at grocery and gas on my plat but I don’t, it ends June 3! Feeling a little like a deer in headlights. What do I do! I won’t be able to max it out full value since I’ve also been working on 5x UR grocery on a freedom card I got last summer and I don’t want to raise the rat’s eyebrows with my sudden large grocery purchases. But I want to get something done before June 3. I’m thinking about maybe getting a $150 Kroger gift card plus misc grocery purchases about every 2-3 days until then. If I keep it <$200 but more frequent I’m thinking that will work. Just thinking out loud here but chime in if you have thoughts on this!

I'm in a similar boat. Mine expires in the middle of June. My only grocery store in town besides walmart does not accept Amex, so I've been trying to do mostly grocery pickup at walmart which has worked pretty good. I am going to experiment today - I have a pickup set for some plain black shirts for DS. He got a new job and has to wear a black collared shirt each day. I just picked up a couple of cheap ones in two sizes since I'm not sure how that brand runs. I'm going to return the ones that don't fit and I'm hoping that they will just put the refund on a gift card instead of going back to the credit card. If they will, I may do a couple of purchase/returns to get some walmart gift cards built up, but I'm not sure if the effort will be worth it. I'm going to decide when I try it with the shirts.

The closest actual grocery store that takes AmEx is about 20 minutes away and they are priced a bit higher anyway, so not worth going there to me. If I could sneak in a few gift cards it might be worth a trip, but nothing that I can do small amounts regularly because of the drive just to get there.

I'd been regularly putting $500+ grocery purchases for the past six months, but my deadline came up on me too. I decided to go ahead and max it out and did around $4K the last week. All points posted as normal. Except, I must have did the math wrong and spent $1500 too much, because the last few purchases did not get the extra 9x.

For those of you hoping to have your add a ___ AO offer change mine just changed again. Went from add a Biz Gold back to add a Biz Plat. Good thing for me it's only the 100K, otherwise I'd have to get another one! Hopefully someone gets the 150K!

Last edited:
For those that signed up for Motley Fool... when do you plan to cancel? I don’t feel like I have received any good information, like when I click on a link with the next big stock they just want me to sign up for another product to get the deets.
Thanks for the reminder. This has been sitting in the back of my mind. I figure we can cancel at any point now. It’s been since December? I haven’t logged on to their site since I signed up. No value in it for me. I should probably cancel while I’m thinking about though. I’ll try to look into it this week.

Has anyone closed a card with chase through SM lately? I've always closed Chase accounts that way, and sent a SM yesterday to close on of P2's accounts. They called and left a message for him this morning asking him to call back. I'm assuming they'll try to talk him into a PC, but P2 hates talking to CC companies on the phone, does he really need to call back?

For those that signed up for Motley Fool... when do you plan to cancel? I don’t feel like I have received any good information, like when I click on a link with the next big stock they just want me to sign up for another product to get the deets.
I plan to keep it all year because it is helping me get educated on stocks. I pretty much ignore their emails which are many, and focus on the web page with the stock adviser picks. They also have info on what stocks are good for beginners on that page which is good since I’m a beginner. The service they keep emailing about is for their “rule breakers” group which is separate and more expensive than the stock adviser service many of us got last winter. Rule breakers present stocks that are under the radar smaller companies that they think could make huge returns in the future so they’re also a bit riskier. Pairing their stock adviser service with weekly podcasts has helped me learn a lot this year.

I was thinking about this recently also. I haven't explored the site much and honestly don't even know what I paid for. That's embarrassing to admit, but the deal was a money maker and I figured I would check the membership out fully "when I had time." Sadly, that hasn't happened yet. I unsubscribed from most of their marketing emails. It was too much!

Has anyone closed a card with chase through SM lately? I've always closed Chase accounts that way, and sent a SM yesterday to close on of P2's accounts. They called and left a message for him this morning asking him to call back. I'm assuming they'll try to talk him into a PC, but P2 hates talking to CC companies on the phone, does he really need to call back?
I canceled one on sm last month, no problem. I'm not sure why they need him to call?

I closed my CIP by SM a few weeks ago, and didn't get a phone call. Maybe there's a retention offer???

I'd been regularly putting $500+ grocery purchases for the past six months, but my deadline came up on me too. I decided to go ahead and max it out and did around $4K the last week. All points posted as normal. Except, I must have did the math wrong and spent $1500 too much, because the last few purchases did not get the extra 9x.

For those of you hoping to have your add a ___ AO offer change mine just changed again. Went from add a Biz Gold back to add a Biz Plat. Good thing for me it's only the 100K, otherwise I'd have to get another one! Hopefully someone gets the 150K!
Thanks! Mine is back now too. I am trying to time it for June so I can at least triple dip the Dell credit, although with TVs being gone, I have no idea what to purchase. We all have new laptops, I want the Google thermostats but DH wants to stick with our ancient ones. What is everyone using their Dell credits on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter