I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you rented dvc before? If so, can you pm me. I have some questions and would like to know your experiences.

We did go to Blackwater Refuge, and even packed binoculars, but it was definitely the wrong time of year to visit. The insects were impressive though, based on the thunking sounds on the car as we drove through! There was a fly that was as at least an inch long that landed on my side window. 0.0 Going when the birds are migrating is a sound plan.

One thing surprising to me at the Hyatt was that the balconies did not have solid floors, but were basically Juliet balconies with grates underfoot. It wasn't a space to hang out in at all.

We ate dinner one night at the Hyatt, and then one night in town. Turns out that the days we were visiting were the same ones that most restaurants were closed (maybe they're open over the weekend and then close at the start of the week), so there wasn't much selection. The place we ate at was called Snappers and I cannot recommend it. I got crab cakes for dinner and it was quite pricey for not much actual food. Which was sad for me because I love crab cakes.

I drove the Bay Bridge and thought of you! And @WVMomof3! lol

Yes, the migration is the key time for Blackwater and in October/November. Even early spring, but definitely a fly/mosquito fest in summer. This time of year I watch the webcam and that's about it. They warn you on the website to come prepared with insect repellant but I prefer to stay away until they are gone. Same with Assateague in summer - if you stay on the beach you are fine but get on the short trails and get eaten alive.

I rarely do crab cakes unless I make them myself. I don't care for a lot of filler or big onion chunks. But I did get to have crabs in the shell for 4th of July as son in law had a bushel at his house on Sunday. He hired a caterer to do a spread because none of us want to cook! Still, we were eating outside and something was biting at my ankles. So I retreated to inside. But the food was great and I enjoyed myself.

Thank you. That's what I figured as well. I went ahead and booked one night last night. I guess I really won't know until check in, but I think it will be okay. I didn't think I'd use the benefit at all, but this will work pretty well. With taxes I paid $23.75, not bad for a night away, breakfast for two, and the $100 will come close to covering dinner.

What hotel did you book, if you care to share?

Highly recommend the ATV tour in Aruba. I actually got up the courage to jump into the natural pool. (No photos since the climb was daunting, especially in flip flops—-note: wear sneakers!) The North Shore is so different than the calm Caribbean at the hotel.CAE5BE2B-E3A5-4D63-A89F-2507EF265314.jpegFD15E363-5919-42B9-8881-DAD8B97AF8E7.jpegCAE5BE2B-E3A5-4D63-A89F-2507EF265314.jpegFD15E363-5919-42B9-8881-DAD8B97AF8E7.jpeg6F7DFBBB-76DC-49F4-A633-FB69EA7FBD96.jpeg1A559515-D1EB-4632-A307-7C842CFEC40C.jpegA5ABC78D-AB49-4448-9C0B-F49F58A3E3A0.jpeg

For all the Hyatt card users...Have you ever called and gotten points for your unused free Hyatt nights?
We have 4 that expire the end of December. I planned to use them for Orlando but decided to stay
on property since it will be holiday season. I thought i remembered someone posting they got some
points for unused after they expired.

Hello DIS credit card gurus! I am currently trying to plan a bucket list trip to the Maldives for my (gulp!) 40th birthday next May. I have more than enough AAdvantage miles to fly the 2 of us roundtrip in the business class QSuites on Qatar Airways. I'm now looking at several hotel options and one that sticks out is the brand new Le Meridien Maldives where I could stay for as little as 140,000 Marriott Bonvoy points for the entire week (or $700 + 85,000 which I would be fine with). I have status with Hyatt but the only redemption there is the Park Hyatt which is a crazy number of points. I have no status with Marriott and no Marriott-branded credit cards, with about 25,000 points in the bank. Current cards are AA and Hyatt co-branded, excellent credit rating.

So what should be my credit card strategy?
Marriot Bonvoy Boundless card? Currently offering 3 free nights (up to 150,000 point value). Not sure how this redemption would work...I guess pay for the remaining nights out of pocket?
Amex Platinum? I have received many targeted offers for this card but put off by the high annual fee. My understanding is I can transfer AmEx points 1:1 to Bonvoy and that would easily get me enough points.
Other suggestions out there?

Thanks for your wisdom! :)
First off, never been to the Maldives!

But, consider the Brilliant card. It will give you 75K points right now, plus $100 fee toward global entry if you need it, $200 restaurant credit to use in the next 6 months and a 50K free night cert (but not till about 13-14 months later) as well as a lot of travel related perks. There is also a $300 travel credit to use when you stay at Marriott hotels, so if you went with the 85K and $700, you could use the $300 to offset the $700. The card would essentially cost you nothing. It may be worth it for you to read the rewards plus T and C on this card. It's a 3K spend.

You could do that asap and get your room booked. Good rates don't last and tend to disappear quickly. This is not the all time high for the card, but - you need your points to book now. Also, using the Boundless 3 free nights could backfire if they raise the points needed as the card gives a 35K cert, which would be useless if a night or two were raised to 40K per night. Just realized it is 50K per FNC - I'm still with the Brilliant on this, assuming you are talking a 5 night week. Plus 4 points nights give 5th night free. FNC do not generate free extra nights when used together.

There are other excellent cards out there as well and Amex MR can be transferred as well as Chase UR. I'd rather save those 2 currencies and use as many Marriott card generated points as possible. But, if you decide to save your cash, an MR card could help. The $300 credit is also good on food, drink and whatever you can charge to the room as well.

P1 and P2 could each get a card.

@Judique gave you some great advice. I might add that you may want to secure Le Meridien Maldives now in anticipation of having the points later. This is a crazy unheard of redemption for the Maldives. A reminder that Marriott now only allows you to do a points advance for 60 days, so you'd need to have those points in your account in 60 days from the time you book. Worst case, if you don't have the points in 60 days, you could cancel and hope that it falls back into inventory and rebook, giving yourself another 60 days to earn the points. Info about Marriott's recent policy change on points advance here

Highly recommend the ATV tour in Aruba. I actually got up the courage to jump into the natural pool. (No photos since the climb was daunting, especially in flip flops—-note: wear sneakers!) The North Shore is so different than the calm Caribbean at the hotel.View attachment 587430View attachment 587431View attachment 587430View attachment 587431View attachment 587432View attachment 587433View attachment 587434
That was the highlight of our trip too! My first experience on an ATV. Quite a ride. The natural pool was a little daunting for our entire crew! My kids got in but there was no way I was doing it!

I was just auto approved for the CSP. Woohoo! I PC'd my CSR to a Freedom last week. This puts me at 3/24 so technically I could go for the MDD but I am not sure the 60,000 UR points are worth taking up another slot. My SW CP expires in December and I'll want to go for another one right away in 2022.
Congrats party:

American Club in Kohler. It was the only one I saw come up in Wisconsin.
How did I not recall you're in WI? We spent a week in June all over WI. Lol. Stevens Point, Sturgeon Bay and Lake Geneva.

In the past, referral links have stayed alive for a few extra days.

So if you can make one, generate it soon and hope it keeps working
I have made a couple already but will generate another closer to estimated end date or if we hear for sure

@Judique gave you some great advice. I might add that you may want to secure Le Meridien Maldives now in anticipation of having the points later. This is a crazy unheard of redemption for the Maldives. A reminder that Marriott now only allows you to do a points advance for 60 days, so you'd need to have those points in your account in 60 days from the time you book. Worst case, if you don't have the points in 60 days, you could cancel and hope that it falls back into inventory and rebook, giving yourself another 60 days to earn the points. Info about Marriott's recent policy change on points advance here

This fantastic advice - thank you so much for pointing it out! I ended up going with Amex Platinum to take advantage of the 150K targeted offer. Now to shop and hit that $6K spend (easy to do in one month in my household 🥴)!

I need some advice. My CSP AF just posted. My plan originally was to upgrade it to a CSR, but DH got an Amex Platinum offer with no lifetime language last month, so he went for that instead. So now, he's holding two Amex Platinum cards. He will probably cancel one in November, but I'm not sure there's a reason for us to hold 3 premium cards with the attendant AFs. Would it make sense to pay the $95 AF on the CSP and upgrade it in November when one of the Platinums drops off or should I just go for the upgrade now? I guess I could also downgrade it and wait a year to upgrade it to a CFR after DH gets rid of both Platinums. I don't know how to think this through.

I know we’ve got a lot of Hawaii travel coming up in this group - we are here now, so I thought I’d give my resort review (1st of 3 resorts we are staying at). Right now we are finishing up our stay at Wailea Beach Villas in Maui.

Pros - the rooms are GORGEOUS. We are in a 2 bedroom condo with a full living room, kitchen and washer/dryer. It’s seriously nicer than my house at home! Tip - it’s a Hyatt property and you can book through the Hyatt website, but you can’t pick your specific room. There are several other websites where you can see and book a specific room. We used Destination Hotels, but I also saw that Exotic Estates has them listed too. I’m sure there are others. We are in Penthouse 306, and the location is PERFECT. The first number is your floor number - I don’t think I’d want to be lower than 3. The Penthouse is the main building with the lobby, a fitness center (super nice equipment) and a game room with a pool table, ping pong table and shuffleboard. It’s the farthest building from the beach - maybe a 4-5 minute walk. There are “villas” closer to the beach. I think there are maybe 8 of those buildings, with maybe 4-6 units in each? I think the unit sizes vary from 2 bedrooms to 4 bedrooms.

Other pros - the location. Right on Wailea Beach next to Grand Wailea (which is insanely huge-looking - we haven’t explored there). And the main building is literally a one-minute walk to Shops at Wailea, which is a really nice outdoor shopping and dining complex. Everything from high-end stores like Prada, to Banana Republic, to an ABC convenience-like store. And tons of restaurants. In two days, I think we’ve walked over there at least 4 times to eat or grab things we needed. No place is closer than Wailea Beach Villas. We are also walking distance to Grand Wailea and Wailea Beach Resort (Marriott), so you’ve got easy access to their restaurants. There is also a stand at the Marriott to rent kayaks, boogie boards, and snorkel gear. I assume that’s open to everyone but I’m not positive. (A con for Marriott - it’s NOT on the beach. It overlooks rocks and is a bit of a walk to a sandy beach. Not a far walk, but it is NOT beachfront).

The beach isn’t huge (I’m used to North Carolina beaches!) but it is nice and not insanely crowded. They’ll set up umbrellas and chairs for you (free).

Cons - it’s not a true resort in that there are no restaurants or bars on-site. The restaurants aren’t a huge deal because Shops at Wailea is so close, but it would be nice to have a beach or pool bar to get drinks. There is a food truck at Grand Wailea that you can access, but it’s very limited in their drink selections -a handful of beers and maybe two cocktails.

There are two pools and they are really small - an adults only (18+) pool near the beach, and a family pool near the lobby (a decent uphill walk from the beach - maybe 4-5 minutes?). Both have hot tubs. No slides or anything like that. BUT, even though they are small, because the resort is so small, we’ve never seen them crowded at ALL. No problem getting chairs and umbrellas any time of day.

I think that’s it? Tomorrow we move to Hyatt Residence Club in Ka’anapali for 3 days, and then Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu for 4 days.

For excursions, we’ve done - Haleakala Bike Trip (not the sunrise one - that required a 1:30am departure from our hotel, but the morning one), through Bike Maui. Not for the faint of heart. As a nervous parent of fearless teen boys (15 and 17), it was pretty terrifying for me (I would have loved it if we were adults only - I was busy worrying about my kids the whole time!). I can’t imagine taking kids much younger than mine on that trip.

Molokini and Turtle Town snorkel trip on the Calypso -we did this this morning, and it was a blast. The boat is the biggest in Maui and has a jumping platform and two slides (my kids love that stuff, so that was why I picked this boat). The crew was phenomenal. The snorkeling at Molokini was pretty disappointing given the build up - we saw a lot of fish but not much variety. And we had to cancel Turtle Town because of swells and went to an alternate spot where we didn’t see much of anything. But even with that, I’d highly recommend Calypso - most of the boats go to the same spots, so you won’t get much variety there, and Calypso was a fun boat with a great crew.

Oh, and for anyone going to Hawaii anytime soon or even not soon - make excursion and restaurant reservations NOW. Everything is and has been booked up solid for weeks (thank goodness I’m a crazy Type A planner and booked everything 6 months ago)! Some restaurants are walk up only - expect 60-90 minute+ waits, even if you go early (5:30ish). Take out is your friend - even the really high end restaurants are doing take out, which saved us our first night here - another reason we love having the Villa with so much room and a full kitchen.

I’ll be back with more later! Happy to answer any questions.

Great tips! We leave for Maui in just over 2 months and are staying at the Andaz in Wailea. I'm preparing to book the Haleakala sunrise on Saturday and from what I've read it seems to require the same level of sophistication as getting a Rise of the Resistance boarding group! Fortunately I snagged a Mama's Fish House reservation months ago and I'm going to try for Merriman's at the 30 day mark. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Not sure about MLB concessions but we went to a few college World Series regional games and those concessions coded as dining on the CSR.
I went to Fenway on June 8th. Not Amex but CIC coded as food and drink.

Eta: sorry June 7th not 8th not that it matters.
Good to hear! Now I just have to get DH to use the right cards when I'm not there to tell him which one to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter