I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently used a CSP to pay for a Disney Cruise. Any thoughts on the CSP trip insurance? I’m not familiar enough with trip insurance to know if it’s good or if I should supplement with a third party. I’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance.

For all the Hyatt card users...Have you ever called and gotten points for your unused free Hyatt nights?
We have 4 that expire the end of December. I planned to use them for Orlando but decided to stay
on property since it will be holiday season. I thought i remembered someone posting they got some
points for unused after they expired.

There are data points on r/awardtravel and Flyertalk. What I've seen says that it's likely they'll do it if you're Globalist, less likely if not. I haven't needed to try it out though.

Great tips! We leave for Maui in just over 2 months and are staying at the Andaz in Wailea. I'm preparing to book the Haleakala sunrise on Saturday and from what I've read it seems to require the same level of sophistication as getting a Rise of the Resistance boarding group! Fortunately I snagged a Mama's Fish House reservation months ago and I'm going to try for Merriman's at the 30 day mark. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Morimoto at Andaz was our arrival night takeout savior! It was fantastic! The sticky ribs in particular are ridiculously good. And the property is gorgeous!

I need some advice. My CSP AF just posted. My plan originally was to upgrade it to a CSR, but DH got an Amex Platinum offer with no lifetime language last month, so he went for that instead. So now, he's holding two Amex Platinum cards. He will probably cancel one in November, but I'm not sure there's a reason for us to hold 3 premium cards with the attendant AFs. Would it make sense to pay the $95 AF on the CSP and upgrade it in November when one of the Platinums drops off or should I just go for the upgrade now? I guess I could also downgrade it and wait a year to upgrade it to a CFR after DH gets rid of both Platinums. I don't know how to think this through.
Some changes are supposedly coming to CSP/CSR per DoC that may influence your decision. I usually consider whether I'll be using the benefits of a card in the near future, and that helps me decide whether to PC a card or keep it. That being said, I once PC'd a CSP to a Freedom and a few months later PC'd it back because my trip plans changed.

oooh, great idea. I might look into that! Too bad the golf is so expensive!
Yes, DH was hoping we could golf, but the only availability I could find was in January and February. :D DH's nephew works there so he was able to golf there last year cheap. I like golf too, but I don't know if I could ever get myself to pay for those courses.
How did I not recall you're in WI? We spent a week in June all over WI. Lol. Stevens Point, Sturgeon Bay and Lake Geneva.
Yup :D I know it wasn't Disneyland, but hope you had a good time in Wisconsin. I love it in the summer. I've never been to Lake Geneva. Checked it out for their winter festival, but never ended up going.

Some changes are supposedly coming to CSP/CSR per DoC that may influence your decision. I usually consider whether I'll be using the benefits of a card in the near future, and that helps me decide whether to PC a card or keep it. That being said, I once PC'd a CSP to a Freedom and a few months later PC'd it back because my trip plans changed.
Thanks. I missed that. Perhaps I should keep the CSP. I don't know. I have barely used it this year at all.

I need some advice. My CSP AF just posted. My plan originally was to upgrade it to a CSR, but DH got an Amex Platinum offer with no lifetime language last month, so he went for that instead. So now, he's holding two Amex Platinum cards. He will probably cancel one in November, but I'm not sure there's a reason for us to hold 3 premium cards with the attendant AFs. Would it make sense to pay the $95 AF on the CSP and upgrade it in November when one of the Platinums drops off or should I just go for the upgrade now? I guess I could also downgrade it and wait a year to upgrade it to a CFR after DH gets rid of both Platinums. I don't know how to think this through.
Do you have another card to transfer to partners if you need that? You could PC to a no AF card and then upgrade to CSR when you need it. You only have to wait a year in the first year of having a card. Or keep in mind if you PC to a CSR, only keep a year, and use the $300 travel credit twice you come out ahead on the AF anyway.

Just closed my Amex Marriott Bonvoy once getting hit with the $125 annual fee.
They did offer a $50 credit plus $100 if I spent $2000 in 3 months.
So with the $15 wireless credit it might not have been so bad to keep it but I’m busy working on a MSR for my platinum and a CSP so don’t have $2000 to waste on Marriott. I also find the FNC extremely hard to use so I just cancelled.

Trying to digest DOCs article about the CSP and CSR changes. Am I the only one a little confused? Looks the the CSP gets the hotel credit and 10% anniversary credit. In the comments, people are blending the two. Will the CSR get those benefits too? Otherwise, maybe I should jump on the CSP bonus and dump my CSR to a CFF.

So the Amex Platinum yea or nay? I got the 100k email with the 550 annual in May. I called to see
if they would honor it since the AF is increasing. They would.

I would never consider this card before with that fee because i have CSR. But on a Hawaii trip
recently our friends took up to Centurion lounge which was nice (and uncrowded at the time).
After feb /23 no way im paying for family members though.

My audible renewal is in August that i want to keep and could use credit for.

I need another global entry credit for my daughter this year.(if they cover it)

DW trip coming up in December and i want to see if i could upgrade seats with the incidentals.

Have universal/WDW trip this year and next and would love to use hotel credits there.
Honestly with 4 trips planned the next 18 months I feel i can get use out of the credits and
would like the sub.

HOWEVER my husband said travel is still so up in the air with variants around that i should pass and
the renewal at 695 is absurd. I mean does anyone cancel after 2nd renewal fee hits?

What say ye my fellow travelers?
My biggest peeve and the reason I never was interested in cards is if I HAVE to figure out a way to use
credits....I would not normally use. I hate that. But i am about to get another global entry for DD. Renew
audible. Upgrade seats etc. Even then 550 AF is SCARY let alone 695. And do you keep CSR. These
are travel cards to me and in today's climate future travel is very much up in the air.
Travel is up in the air for you so only you can decide if travel cards are worth it. To me travel is not up on the air, I have an exit strategy on everything I book and am 0% concerned about whatever the latest variant is- so I cannot answer the value question for you.

AFs don’t really drop, in recent history at least so don’t be expecting that to happen- ESPECIALLY in today’s climate where everyone is gradually getting less scared of covid. As it takes a back burner to no burner in more and more minds travel and cc demand is increasing more and more. AFs ain’t dropping in that environment! Math wise don’t analyze the card based on year 2, only analyze based on year 1. You can do the math to decide if you want it in year 2 come year 2.

@Judique I am also waiting for Marriott to credit my FNC from last weekend. I would love to know what they tell you when you call.
Last time they failed to credit back my FNC I was able to Dm them on Twitter and they had it fixed quickly.

This has happened to me a couple times now and Twitter DM always fixed it for me too!

(Stupid Bonvoy, this “glitch” has been happening for a couple years 🤦🏻‍♀️)

We're on our summer vacation now and have had the worst hotel experience we've ever had. That being said, I'm know there are many worse things that could happen, but our service has been terrible and if I had paid cash instead of using points for the 5 night stay, I would really be livid. I've never left a bad review, but I'm seriously thinking about it. I just don't know whether I should leave it on HIlton's website, tripadvisor or where??

The front desk employees have been rude and service has been non-existent. It went the farthest tonight when the 35-ish year old man working the front desk used terrible curse words when he was talking to me. I had gone to the desk to get extra towels because they hadn't serviced our room the entire time we'd been there and he blamed it on the management and was over the top in describing what he thought of them. I really couldn't believe it. Anyway, I was just wondering if and where anyone has left a negative review. I know covid has messed everything up, but in my opinion, our stay went above and beyond terrible.
Hilton sees your points as cash all the way to their balance sheet so you should as well. When I have stuff go very wrong on hotel stays my first move is a Twitter DM*. I don’t ask for compensation at first, if they don’t offer anything but an apology in response to my tale I then push for compensation. If they refuse then I go the blast it route with bad reviews. (I’ve never had to blast it but that would be my next step. I’ve only had serious issues with Hyatt and National Car Rental, both companies made it right.)

Stuff has obviously gone very wrong at your hotel so I’d start with a DM to Hilton on Twitter.

*I assume you aren’t Diamond, if you’re Diamond call the Desk.

Trying to digest DOCs article about the CSP and CSR changes. Am I the only one a little confused? Looks the the CSP gets the hotel credit and 10% anniversary credit. In the comments, people are blending the two. Will the CSR get those benefits too? Otherwise, maybe I should jump on the CSP bonus and dump my CSR to a CFF.
If the CSP adds that stuff the AF is going up so I would be inclined to hit the bonus now. I can see them not adding good stuff to the CSR because they still haven’t rolled out the AF increase to grandfathered card holders.

Last edited:
App'd 6/25 for CIU, used my LLC info, received 7-10 day message.
Checked my acct relentlessly, called status line a few times (no app on file), finally gave up. I was hoping to see the denial letter in my acct so I would at least know why.
I just saw the envelope with the card this morning, it must have arrived yesterday. It never showed in Informed Delivery, but I do remember seeing my son walk in with mail yesterday. I didn't check the mail because my ID email showed no mail being delivered.

I'm not sure why the card isn't showing in my acct, I used all the same contact info. Possibly because my previous cards were sole prop and this one is LLC. Either way, there's a 7-10 day which is typically denial that turned into approval with no interaction from me.

Just checked my Chase account and saw that my Freedom Visa got the normal 5x points for grocery store purchases in the 1st year AND 5x points for grocery stores being one of the 5x categories! Surprised they are letting me double dip like that. But ~$100 in groceries netted me like 1000 pts!

Do you have another card to transfer to partners if you need that? You could PC to a no AF card and then upgrade to CSR when you need it. You only have to wait a year in the first year of having a card. Or keep in mind if you PC to a CSR, only keep a year, and use the $300 travel credit twice you come out ahead on the AF anyway.
I wouldn't cancel the CSP. I'm looking to product change if I do anything, so yes, I will have a card to keep points on.

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I have a Chase offer for 10% cash back, $30 max, at Southwest on my SW card. I also signed my SW card up for the current spending bonus offer (6x Southwest purchases, 5x gas and travel), so I'm contemplating buying a $300 SW gc.

I also signed up for two overlapping Chase Marriott spending bonuses. One is for 10x Marriott purchases and 5x gas/travel. And the new one is for 1 elite night per $3000 spend (which was a feature of the old Chase Marriott card). I'll be at 48 nights if I use all 5 of my FNCs remaining, so putting $6K spend on the Chase Marriott so I can maintain Platinum is a consideration.

Last edited:

wait a day or 2. DoC wasnt posted correctly so some of the things arent correct, ie DoC has CSR travel rate at 2x (should be 3x) and CSP grocery category is online only.
but no, CSR has its own benefits, CSP has its own benefit.

was really hoping the CSR get the 10% back too...

Yes, the migration is the key time for Blackwater and in October/November. Even early spring, but definitely a fly/mosquito fest in summer. This time of year I watch the webcam and that's about it. They warn you on the website to come prepared with insect repellant but I prefer to stay away until they are gone. Same with Assateague in summer - if you stay on the beach you are fine but get on the short trails and get eaten alive.

I rarely do crab cakes unless I make them myself. I don't care for a lot of filler or big onion chunks. But I did get to have crabs in the shell for 4th of July as son in law had a bushel at his house on Sunday. He hired a caterer to do a spread because none of us want to cook! Still, we were eating outside and something was biting at my ankles. So I retreated to inside. But the food was great and I enjoyed myself.
So funny. I have never heard them referred to that way- ”crabs in the shell”. We always just call them “steamed crabs” or “hard shell crabs.” I love them but couldn’t stand the smell or taste of them when I was pregnant with DS. Thank goodness that went away!

Hmmmm, though I'm still out of the game when it comes to CSP vs CSR vs trying for the MDD......I think I might almost be ready to accept only having the CSP, LOL. Originally I was going to jump ship once the AF went to $550, but then they extended a year, gave a retention credit, etc.

Is there a 3 mos wait between business and personal chase cards? Or only personal? I got the CIU in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter