I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I've only just started thinking about utilizing credit card purchases to maximize reward points recently, so this is all very new to me! We definitely only put purchases on credit cards that we can pay off immediately. In fact, I'll often focus only on high-cost purchases and then pay it directly from checking/savings so that the balance doesn't creep up on us!

High cost purchases - I like to proceed on a $4000 spend when I have insurances to pay or some other bill that can be paid by credit card. Then there is always grocery spend - most people do at least $3-400 a month and some do $1000 and up to $2000. And almost everybody buys gas and pays for utilities. Add these all up and you can portion out your regular spend without jumping into other non essential purchases. Even if your utility charges $1.75 to pay up to $600, (my electric company) that's a small price to pay. I might pay the $600 even when I only owe $200 as I know it will be paid for the next month or two. Another point - paying the $600 will also generate 600 UR's which is a minimum $6.00 for the $1.75 spend, not counting the signup bonus.

Editing to add: these mentioned are monthly bills that I would expect are paid in full each month. So, when they get charged, I pay them off so that they aren't hanging around and so that my bank account is not showing me money I've already spent.

Editing again: Upcoming expenses, like putting on a roof, building a deck, making a new car down payment. Things you know you are planning and will do anyway. I've applied for a card to pay at least a portion of stuff like this. Money is in the bank for at least some of it. Many car dealers will allow up to $5K. Just for future planning...

Last edited:
Where do you park your UR points? I have a freedom unlimited. I probably will PC CSR to freedom flex.
Do i tell them to transfer points?
They stay with the Flex, once you have the new CSP in your account you can transfer them there. I'm still not sure if you can upgrade the Flex back to the CSR if you have the CSP.

Thank you, it does seem like I hit this thought at a lucky time! It looks like early bird checkin would put us with a earlier boarding group, is that correct? I'm going to have young kids with me when traveling to Disney, so we'd be eligible for family boarding regardless. Also, if we get upgraded boarding passes, is there any reason for the early bird checkin? Thanks so much for providing this input!
If you upgrade your boarding passes at the gate that is only for that flight, which is great if you have a direct flight, but if you don't have a direct fight you wouldn't get upgrade boarding for your connecting fight.

We have early bird check in for our flight to MCO. We use the upgrade boarding pass at the MCO gate for our return fight, but our youngest DD is 10.

I decided to be my own DP since the worse they can say is “no” but DH is now the proud owner of CSP and CSR. I’ll downgrade my CSR to a Freedom and then wait to apply for the CSP (and hope the 100k doesn’t go away before I can apply.)
so you already tried it with DH? or planning to try it upcoming.... I'm curious to hear what happens!

Wasn't there a tip somewhere to lower your credit limit before Pc'ing your CSR?

If there is a possibility that you might PC it back to a CSR, keep 10k on it. I actually have a Chase Freedom ready to go with a 10K plus limit. I keep my other cards at $3K to $6K although I know people go lower. I have the CSP which I will probably PC later this year and then I may want a CSR in time.

It was recommended that I re-post this question here as it seems there's a number of credit card experts who frequent this thread :-)

I've had a Citi ThankYou Preferred card for many years, and it tends to be the credit card we use for big purchases that we want to collect points for (we pay these purchases off and don't carry a balance). Until recently, we were mostly using our ThankYou Points for Amazon purchases for the convenience of doing so, but I know that's not the most effective way to use them and am wondering if there's a way they can be put to use towards the Disney World vacation we're saving up for in July 2022?

I don't see Disney in the list of gift cards for redemption, nor do I see Southwest (the airline we are most likely going to be flying with). There is a Landry's giftcard if we end up eating at T-Rex or Yak and Yeti while there, but that could be risky if we don't. There's a number of gift cards to places that sell Disney giftcards (eg, Target), but not sure if I'd be able to use a giftcard to buy a different giftcard?

Any other thoughts on using ThankYou Points towards a Disney vacation or on the card/rewards program in general?
Which TYPcard do you have?
TYP are great for Disney vacations as you can book hotel or buy tix with them. As others have mentioned, you have to call to book for tickets although you can book the hotels on TYP website. You need to call and get to the Cruise and Tour department. You can't do it online and the regular booking people can't do it (despite telling you they can and then not being able to 'figure it out' BTDT). If you have a lot of points, use them for tickets or hotel. If not, gift cards are probably your best bet (or cash). I used my points earlier this year to get three 5 day hoppers but I generally save all my points for WDW. Sadly they devalued TYP earlier this year and they are worth .01 per point when they used to be .0125.
I think you posted about hoping for 'free dining' but beware as it's often not a savings. Maybe @SouthFayetteFan will chime in here with his expertise.

I'm planning on DH doing the drive for the road to Hana. I think I'm going to buy the Shaka guide/app that narrates for you and tells you where to stop. I just wasn't sure how well my kids would do on such a long tour. I really hope it all goes well 🤞
I was so stressed a few years ago when we did the road to Hana. I knew we wouldn't be able to get up early enough to do the whole thing so I just told myself we would try to get to the Garden of Eden and then if that's all we could handle then so be it. That's exactly what we did and I'm glad we stuck to that plan and didn't stress out about what we didn't get to see. The road is an experience in and of itself! If you are heading back through Paia in the late afternoon, stop at Ho'okipa beach to see the turtles sunning themselves. There were almost 50 of them, crazy!

Honu.jpg

So I walked DS (almost 22) thru the CSP app today, using his p/t income (still a student) he was instantly approved! woohoo. I offered to make the MSR for him,(and keep a chunk of points) he told me no thanks,he had some school bills to pay and it was all his! :rotfl2: He has learned well....

Checking on my Amex card to see what Maggianos cost me. Found that the Marriott offer from this morning is already gone from both MR cards. I had not intended to use it as I already have a couple of gift cards and don't intend to pay for a stay by the end of the month. Would have used it if it had landed on a Marriott card, but it didn't.

Also found a Clear offer for $179 on my Gold card.

However, once he gets the CSP he can upgrade either the CSP to a CSR after a year or can upgrade the downgraded card back to a CSR. No sign up bonus in the downgrade/upgrade which is the difference versus an app for a new card.
Wait....this is what I was asking earlier..... they'll allow you to upgrade the previously downgraded card (CSR-FU-CSR) even if you've just gotten the CSP? Thus allowing you to hold 2 sapphires (one PC'd back ) ?

I was making dining reservations for our trip later this month and saw this offer on the Resy website:

American Express®
Gold Card

Annual Fee: $250 †¤

For the Love of Restaurants. Receive 20% back as a statement credit on purchases made at restaurants worldwide with The American Express® Gold Card within the first 12 months of Card Membership, up to $250 back.
Plus, earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. †

DOC has the offer as 35k MR and says the highest offer is 50k so this seems like a really good opportunity if someone is looking at this card.

So my friday nightmare got even more fun. My BF was delayed 3 hours so he wasn't able to get my DD when she landed. I had no issues getting her, BUT on the way back home, I ran over something on the expressway and managed to blow out my tire on my BRAND NEW JEEP! The BF came over after he landed at 3am! He's a keeper!

I found out my mom went into Chase and got the CSP, but they told her she's only getting 80k. Can she SM about this? She did it last week, so the offer should be the 100k. All this CSP talk is killing me now. I got the CIU on 6/1. So I can't swing this yet. Grrrrr. I'm hoping it lasts a bit longer than 7/17.

Yes. Charge posted July 3, credit dated July 5, although I think it actually showed up July 8. Still waiting for my Graham & Fisk canned wine credit.
Did you do an offer w/ yours?

For those of us that did the Macy's Wine offer, I would suggest you chat with Amex. They are saying that "The merchant is not showing eligible as purchase is not made by the link given in offer ", I used the link but the vendor posted as HEMISPHERE-MACYSWINEGLENDALE CA. They said that they are opening an investigation.
Thanks for the heads up, I guess I'll message.

I live in a very modest house in a very upscale neighborhood of multi million dollar homes. My children were always ashamed of my house but it was my house where all their friends (with home movie theaters and indoor pools) preferred to hang out.
That's me and the ex. I joke we live in the ghetto of our area. Our area was named the snobbiest area in MI, LOL. We have houses as much as $20 millions in our school district! I live in a 1979 Pulte house, the ex in a 1970's condo (1/2 mile from me). We learned our lesson after our first house. We built a nicer house in a "cheaper" area. For house #2, we went for the cheapest house in the nicest area. Our school district was #25 in the nation. There's lots of "stress" on academics, etc here. So my kids kinda get left behind (which sucks as a teacher) since they aren't all A overachievers trying for the Ivys.

Did you use a promo or discount code? I used one and have not gotten credit. Hemisphere must be the parent company of Wine Insiders as the charge for WI posts as Hemisphere as well. They are very obnoxious about not crediting if you use a promo code or if you buy things that are specially priced. I chatted Amex about the WI offer and eventually got credit but will probably let this one go.
I used a code too....I'm still gonna try and see what I might get.

Yes, I understand completely. Sometimes its hard to get them to go home to their mansions.

That said, the people in the mansions tend to be nice people also.

As far as the modest house, are there really any modest houses left in Maryland? I thought all the 'I want to buy your home' companies bought them all up and flipped them up!

Mine is a 1963 split level. I finally replaced the torn linoleum in the kitchen during the pandemic. Lol.

Just wanted to share something that made me go, wow ok. DD came home from a weeklong summer camp and I asked how things went with her cabin mates. It was good, but she did mention two girls whose first questions to her were -- Girl#1 "What school do you go to? Is it public or private?" and then she proceeded to ignore DD since the answer did not pass her bar. Girl#2 "What kind of car do you drive?" and this girl too ignored DD for the rest of the week because the answer did not pass her bar either. Geez. Fortunately there were others in the cabin who could accept someone beyond what kind of school/car they have in their life!

Well, it's good that they showed their true colors early on so your DD knew to make friends with other people. These aren't girls she wants to know anyway, but I'm still sorry she had to deal with this.

I've found that this type of attitude exists both in public and private schools. I went to public, my kids go to private and there is always a "I'm better than you because of where I got to school/drive" attitude from some people in both. Heck, it even gets down to the brands you wear, especially with HS girls. This also exists in adults because the "girls" with these attitudes become the moms with these attitudes that I dodge with a 10 foot pole.

Totally agree. The apples don't fall far from the tree, and this kind of behavior sometimes offers up a look inside the values of the entire family. DD went to private schools for reasons, and I got flack from people early on who were offended that we didn't send her to the local public. DD was lucky that her HS friends didn't have the "our house is better than yours" attitude, and even if the parents were driving 6-figure cars most of the kids didn't even have cars at all (and several who did had the old, beat-up family minivans). I grew up in this area, and we can't compete on a money/house/address level with other people, and I really don't care. Either like me for who I am or don't be my friend. But I know it's hard for kids.

Does anyone have some dining or other fun recommendations for Kauai (Poipu)? It's been a long time since we were last there and I'm sure things have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter