I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was so stressed a few years ago when we did the road to Hana. I knew we wouldn't be able to get up early enough to do the whole thing so I just told myself we would try to get to the Garden of Eden and then if that's all we could handle then so be it. That's exactly what we did and I'm glad we stuck to that plan and didn't stress out about what we didn't get to see. The road is an experience in and of itself! If you are heading back through Paia in the late afternoon, stop at Ho'okipa beach to see the turtles sunning themselves. There were almost 50 of them, crazy!

View attachment 588900

Wow that's an awesome pic! Definitely putting that on my list to stop at!

I might do this if there's not a different way that would be best to use them...see which giftcard would give me the most bang for my buck (or points in this case) for stores where I'll be shopping anyway and then just put away that amount into the vacation fund.

Thank you, this is good to know.

Would I be able to use this if I booked a resort stay/ticket package through a travel agent? I'm still hoping that there's going to be some future discount or promotion that I'll be able to take advantage of later on (fingers are crossed for a free dining promo, although I do realize this is likely a pipe dream).

Sorry, I'm not aware of a way to book a package but we have DVC and so we just needed the tickets so I wasn't looking for that.

I know I should know this, but does DH need either a sapphire card or CIP to be able to transfer his UR to me? I'd like to PC his CSP to a freedom card, but all he will have then is his CICs and the freedom.

Does anyone have some dining or other fun recommendations for Kauai (Poipu)? It's been a long time since we were last there and I'm sure things have changed.
Fresh Shave had the yummiest Shave Ice the food trucks at Warehouse 3450 were yummy. Just make sure you are trying to find after 8:00 at night. Nothing is open!

Does anyone have some dining or other fun recommendations for Kauai (Poipu)? It's been a long time since we were last there and I'm sure things have changed.
We went 4 years ago, so this might be realllly outdated, but we loved -

restaurants: Keoki’s Paradise (good, mid-priced sit down restaurant) , Da Crack (super casual take out burritos), Beach House (nicer restaurant, AMAZING views).

activities - Kipu Safari through Outfitters Kauai, and DEFINITELY spring for a helicopter ride if you can. We did the Jurassic Falls Helicopter Tour through Island Helicopters, and it’s the single best excursion/activity I’ve done ANYWHERE.

I know I should know this, but does DH need either a sapphire card or CIP to be able to transfer his UR to me? I'd like to PC his CSP to a freedom card, but all he will have then is his CICs and the freedom.
He can still transfer, but you might have to call to get it done. Online transferring among household members has been finicky lately.

Wow that's an awesome pic! Definitely putting that on my list to stop at!
It’s an easy drive from the GW even if you can’t stop there on the way back from Hana. We stopped there in the AM and there was just one lonely turtle on the beach but when we stopped there in the afternoon, the beach was full of them! i think they prefer the afternoon sun. It was fun to also watch them make their way in and out of the water. I could stay there for hours watching them!

You might also consider including that you can "double dip" the $300 travel credit during the first 30 days of the second calendar year, then cancel or PC your CSR for an AF refund (So, +$50 net). You can also trigger the credit with a refundable Southwest fare (Business or Anytime) if you don't have travel plans. The CSR always pays for itself in the first year of acquisition/upgrade. Then, it boils down to whether the benefits, such as trip insurance, are worth keeping. Ever since they added 3x dining to the CFU and CF, it seems less mandatory to keep the CSR, unless you travel a lot and want that insurance.

Yes, that is another great point on the travel credit DD option. I don't consider the bonus categories at all on my valuation for the CSR because they are available on other no fee cards in the UR portfolio as you pointed out. The travel insurance part of it I left off intentionally and wanted to focus on the card as a keeper card. I've had it since it first came out and used the CPC route to bypass 5/24 when that was a thing way back when as the long term value was too good to pass up. Having long since passed 48 months on a the bonus and managing to finally get under 5/24 last year for the first time since 2012, I was quite happy to cancel it and pick up the CSP since DH has a CSR. But I will definitely upgrade mine back next year so he can cancel his and churn it. The biggest value for me will always be the redeeming for 1.5 through the UR portal. Year after year we redeem well over $1,000 in UR points on travel so it makes sense to keep the CSR long term.

Last “newb” question, CFF (Flex) or CF for the downgrade of my beloved CSR? It will feel so strange not to have it.

CF is going to get you 5x on rotating categories. We each have 2 of them and max those out every quarter which nets a nice 60k UR each per year.
CFF will get you the same 5x on bonus categories plus 3x on drugstores and dining. DH has this one as well.
CFU should also be considered as it will get you 3x on dining and drugstores, plus 1.5 on all non bonus categories. This is the card we each use at Costco and for most non bonus spending when focusing on UR points.

I have a question about ds' new CSP account....so he's had the CiP (pc'd to CiC) and that's it. He got instant approval for CSP, but it's not showing on his acct. (it's a business page I guess) Will he have to wait to get it in mail and add it to his account? I know he won't want to keep it separate. (usually cc shows up pretty fast after an app)

I booked UA Polaris flights back in 2019 for a summer 2020 international trip (that obviously didn't happen) using URs. When the airline canceled the flight, I had to contact Chase to get my URs back; it definitely was not automatic. But, cancellations are one thing and flight changes are another. Each airline has its own definition of what counts as a flight change that qualifies for a refund, and those terms definitely were altered during the pandemic such that airlines gave themselves more leeway to make flight changes without having to issue refunds. So there's legwork to be done in your case, where you need to find out what those policies are on the airline you're looking at. My concern would be that the flight change window is so wide that the airline would say they're within their boundaries to not issue a refund or voucher. And if they don't, then you don't get your URs back (and it would be true with using cash as well).

Wholeheartedly agree with your reasoning, and why I've held onto my CSR since 2017. Although I put the UR redemption at 62000 to break even, so anything higher than that means the CSR wins:
$250 - $95 = $155
$155/0.0025 = 62,000

The 0.0025 comes from the difference in redemption multiplier: 0.015 - 0.0125 = 0.0025

I value the CSR for the travel protections, which are stronger than the Plat, so all flights get partially paid on the CSR. Which keeps me tied to the CSR as I make future travel plans since I have to at least hold onto it until the trip happens. That's fine. I cycle DH in and out as an AU as needed (he's the one with Globalist), which doesn't affect his 5/24 status since the card is older than 24 mo.
If I have the csp and am.looking at booking something for 120k URs how do I figure out the amount of points it would be if I upgraded to the csr. (Not good at math :rolleyes:

I have been MIA lately since we have purchased a fixer upper and have been working to get it livable before we move in 2 weeks. Renovating remotely, getting a house ready to sell, and packing is not for the faint of heart. I have been trying to follow along and love reading about everyone's travel. Hopefully we can travel some after the move.

On the CC front, my oldest DD just started her real job and applied for the CSP last week. She got the "we'll see" message. Strangely enough, my DH got a voicemail from the Chase fraud department the next day for her. It just seemed odd that they would leave a message for her on his phone number when she gave her number. Yesterday, the automated message said 7-10 days. I encouraged her to call the fraud department and see if they just needed verification since she put her apartment address instead of our home address. After 2 1/2 hours on hold, she answered lots of verification questions (grandparent's birthdays??) and was approved!!!

For stats, I added her as an AU probably 6 or 7 years ago. She got a WF credit card once she turned 18. She wasn't willing to apply for one of the lower Chase cards while in school. Her credit score is high 700's. Hoping she gets her card soon so she can refer me before the 100k ends. @Albort has given me hope that it doesn't end on 7/17.

We did a quick trip to Disney this weekend to finish up our FL Resident passes. We charged everything to our room but the charges have come in strange. I changed the card on the account to my CSR but half the magic band charges went to my husband's Capital One (that was the previous card on there) and half went to my CSR (no rhyme or reason as to dates when charged). We are all on the same MDE account. Plus, there are $360 in pending charges that we don't recognize and which I will have to call Disney about tomorrow when they actually post. And the Capital One charges all came in as a lump sum from WDW - Resort Hotels (itemized on the receipt) while the CSR charges all have come in individually as Food and Drink which is not how the magic band charges ever come in. I didn't think it was possible to have two cards for charging on one MDE account.

Besides the funky WDW charges, it was a nice trip. Hot as the surface of the sun. MK on Saturday was sweltering so we took a 2-hr detour to have a blessedly uncrowded, yummy lunch at Fort Wilderness. Kids ran around, we had plenty of room in the AC and the Fort worked its remarkable restorative powers on us so we could go back and brave the heat and crowds. We didn't stay for the fireworks although that was sort of the goal of the trip but we had been up at 5:30 to make rope drop and the heat just wore us down. The teenagers stayed and closed out the park. Pop buses were great for MK. We are lucky we can go often being local but I'm crossing July off my list. The lines were ok - about an hour at the longest for headliners - but they walkways were not packed and it did feel better walking around than the usual super crowded times.

I have been MIA lately since we have purchased a fixer upper and have been working to get it livable before we move in 2 weeks. Renovating remotely, getting a house ready to sell, and packing is not for the faint of heart. I have been trying to follow along and love reading about everyone's travel. Hopefully we can travel some after the move.

On the CC front, my oldest DD just started her real job and applied for the CSP last week. She got the "we'll see" message. Strangely enough, my DH got a voicemail from the Chase fraud department the next day for her. It just seemed odd that they would leave a message for her on his phone number when she gave her number. Yesterday, the automated message said 7-10 days. I encouraged her to call the fraud department and see if they just needed verification since she put her apartment address instead of our home address. After 2 1/2 hours on hold, she answered lots of verification questions (grandparent's birthdays??) and was approved!!!

For stats, I added her as an AU probably 6 or 7 years ago. She got a WF credit card once she turned 18. She wasn't willing to apply for one of the lower Chase cards while in school. Her credit score is high 700's. Hoping she gets her card soon so she can refer me before the 100k ends. @Albort has given me hope that it doesn't end on 7/17.
So the referral links should probably last a bit longer. I don’t if she already has an account or can create one without the card.

FYI, I used the Macy's wine deal without a promo code and got the $25 credit a few days later. There was a disclaimer that said using a code would make you ineligible for the credit.

Ok, really stupid question here (not CC related but y'all are nicer than the rest of the boards) I have MDE account, and have DH and DS listed because I manage everything. DH has an account but has never used it. My MDE uses his full name, while his uses a nickname. Is it possible for him to add DS and me to his account or somehow link so he could try for RoTR boarding group? Tickets are on my MDE.

Congrats on the house! We are also selling/buying/moving though thankfully not far (all of 6 blocks lol) Our last move was a disaster so DH and I are a bit gun shy. We were originally closing in July for our new house but sellers asked for August. Silly me agreed and am regretting it already. We close on both houses 8/13, we will be at WDW 8/5-8/14 🤦‍♀️ So literally everything we own will be packed in boxes or in a suitcase when we leave for WDW. On our return, we will move 8/16 (although quick cleaning/painting 8/15) and DS starts school 8/18. Put this in the what-was-I-thinking category.

Ok, really stupid question here (not CC related but y'all are nicer than the rest of the boards) I have MDE account, and have DH and DS listed because I manage everything. DH has an account but has never used it. My MDE uses his full name, while his uses a nickname. Is it possible for him to add DS and me to his account or somehow link so he could try for RoTR boarding group? Tickets are on my MDE.
yes, you need to add them as friends and they need to accept it, you'll just search via email address.

If I have the csp and am.looking at booking something for 120k URs how do I figure out the amount of points it would be if I upgraded to the csr. (Not good at math :rolleyes:
It would be 100K UR with a CSR:

120,000 UR x 0.0125 = $1500 worth of travel

$1500 / 0.015 = 100,000 UR

You'd save 20,000 URs worth $300 with CSR's PYB or travel redemption value.

My kids signed in to my MDE account using my credentials and we all tried for boarding groups that way. I am linked to my SIL and I can see her on my account but she wasn't included in the boarding group when I got boarding groups this weekend (she had reservation to HS as well but was not trying for a group). My understanding is that multiple people signed in to the same account won't mess it up. I just keep my finger on the Join at the landing screen where the AT-AT show and my eye on my Iphone clock. As soon as it turns to 7am, hit the Join, then Join, then Join. Don't stop to look, don't read. It's worked for me both times.

Does anyone know if reselling an XBOX gift card is still a reasonable possibility? The AF on my biz plat will post next month and I can't imagine I will get a retention offer that makes keeping the card worthwhile, so I'd like to use the Dell credit for the gift card if I can resell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter