I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the new SW Personal card last week and while not instantly approved I called in and they did say it was approved but it is still nowhere on my online account. This is the second straight card that I ran into that after never having the issue before. Am I the only one running into this? I am not looking forward to calling in and getting it linked up again.

Something fun that my neighborhood does for Halloween: one neighbor hooks up a flat trailer to a tractor (which he owns for his business) and decorates it all for Halloween. Hooks up a big speaker on the top of the tractor also and plays appropriate music (even Grim Grinning Ghosts!). Kids line up in his drive way to board the flat trailer and go on a ride around the neighborhood singing together in their costumes. He fits about 10-15 at a time, depending on how many parents ride along. They come back and another batch of kids does it all over again. It's really fun and a break from all the trick-or-treating walking!

IHG or Hyatt free night certs..... can I use these from my account for my DS if I'm not going with him?

Just a friendly reminder to not forget about the extra benefits on cards. Saturday night my DD was out with her friend/boyfriend (I get conflicting info on the status) and got a flat tire. We were able to use the roadside assistance on the CSR to get the car towed. So far I haven't seen the $50 charge for it but I suspect it may be delayed due to the towing company. Even if it does show up, I'm sure a tow directly from the towing company would be more.

Glad I was able to think of this in the moment. DH was none too thrilled at the moment, apparently she ran over a curb and blew out the tire. Second tire in a month. :sad2: When my kids were little and people said " they get more expensive the older they get" I didn't see how that was possible. Now I do.

ummm, have they started college yet?? Just wait. Lol

Something fun that my neighborhood does for Halloween: one neighbor hooks up a flat trailer to a tractor (which he owns for his business) and decorates it all for Halloween. Hooks up a big speaker on the top of the tractor also and plays appropriate music (even Grim Grinning Ghosts!). Kids line up in his drive way to board the flat trailer and go on a ride around the neighborhood singing together in their costumes. He fits about 10-15 at a time, depending on how many parents ride along. They come back and another batch of kids does it all over again. It's really fun and a break from all the trick-or-treating walking!
That sound FUN! Maybe set up an outdoor movie to give kids something to do while waiting (assuming it’s dark).
Our friends go all out for Halloween. The outdoor movie, a haunted house maze thru garage, fresh popcorn, hotdogs, and af course, candy. Then more food and desserts inside for friends.

I'm super frustrated with AC today.

They changed my flight back from Edinburgh in May from Edinburgh to Brussels (15h layover), Brussels to Toronto, to Edinburgh to Brussels (same layover), then Brussels to Montreal, Montreal to Toronto. This won't work for me as I won't do 2 layovers and AC doesn't have any other options. All I could do was take the train from Edinburgh to London the day before, stay overnight at the airport, then fly AC London to Toronto. Or book through AA (on BA metal), Edinburgh to London, London to Toronto (with a 5 hour layover at Heathrow to enjoy the Centurion lounge); but taxes are $1,200.00 :scared::scared:.

Trying to book a flight from Toronto to Vancouver on January 1st for a ski trip; with ACs dynamic pricing we can fly biz class for 144k miles and $2,200.00 cash :oops:. Umm no thanks. We can fly in premium economy, which I am considering as it's under 5h each way and daytime, so should be doable. Not sure what the cash cost would be for this. I have eUpgrades which could be used on this flight, but they 'expire' on December 31st; with my AmEx AP Reserve Cdn card they will automatically roll over, but the way it works is they will disappear on December 31st, then reappear at the end of January. So they are completely useless for a January 1st trip. I have to decide on this trip today as the cancellation policy for the Westin Whistler is 60 days before check-in (which is insane).

Any DVC, Annual Pass experts out there that can help me with this question... I have a cousin that I go to Disney with usually. Would it be possible for me to buy the Annual Pass for her with the DVC discount even though she doesn't live in the same household?
searchupdate-3.jpg

I like to look at my stash of points and miles like a diversified portfolio. They provide options. Ideally we've got 4 million points between us across all hotel, air and variable currencies. When the total is significantly below that, then I will see why that is and where I need to replenish. Once one of us dips below 250k URs or 250k MRs, it is time to work on the spending bonus categories of the cards.

Nothing wrong with spending real money for smaller travel trips while earning more points and miles for your larger trips. Hope this helps :flower3:

It does! Also gives me something to strive for. I'm on the fence about retiring next year (long story that involves a large retention bonus for my current job as I'm in a business unit that is shutting down next year). I've been thinking that travel hacking/point accumulation might help defray the costs of our next few years of travel since we'll have the time to do it.

Was thinking of using UR points for some domestic airfare this summer, but if I book it via UR and pay, I'll get a decent return on points. So I guess my brain is starting to work in evaluating options.

I'll chime in. We earn and burn with the 'long game' in mind. We spend almost all of our flexible points (MR/UR/TYP) on long haul international flights in business or first class. That is far and away the best value for using these types of points IMHO.

[snip]
-- but that's a whole other topic. Anyways- have started to ramble- sorry.

Don't apologize! Much like hearing real world examples of using G+/LL, hearing real world examples of this is VERY HELPFUL! :D

Our problem is we can’t go anywhere for more than a week at a time. Which really really stinks.

That's our issue (due my DH's job). One of the reasons were considering retirement by 2023. Well, it was in our plans that he do so, but now it may be both of us. One way or another, we're planning a 2 week trip to Ireland in 2023 which would be our first 2 week vacation....ever.

No, they have to have an ID showing the live at your address.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's a bummer! I might still get it for me. It seems like a good deal to get the DVC annual pass. I don't go to Disney that often. We usually go on cruises or to Aulani. But I'm thinking this year maybe I'll get the pass and go a couple of times and I will break even.

On a different topic, who was it that was going to Vienna for the Christmas markets? I'm going in December and booked the Andaz Vienna with my Hyatt points. I would love to hear about other things to do while in Vienna.

My annual fee for my amex platinum will be coming at the end of the month. I thought I took screenshots of retention offers people got but don’t see them saved anywhere?

Has anyone gotten a good retention offer on their personal platinum? Just want to know what to look for when I try to chat.

I just read this morning of someone locally who goes around on horseback with a carved pumpkin over their head! 😆 Apparently, this has been going on for decades, and I only just found out about it. Wish I'd seen it!

My annual fee for my amex platinum will be coming at the end of the month. I thought I took screenshots of retention offers people got but don’t see them saved anywhere?

Has anyone gotten a good retention offer on their personal platinum? Just want to know what to look for when I try to chat.

65k for $4000 spend is the highest I saw. Though I've only seen it once. 55-60k is more common (also $4000 spend). Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter