I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have 2 Best Buy offers on one of my Chase cards, one is for 10% off up to $25 and expires in 3 days. The other is for 10% off up to $44 and expires in 10 days. Ideally, I'd like to use both these offers (to buy gift cards), so does anyone know if Chase will honor these in order of expiration date? I don't want to go buy $250 in gc's and they use the 2nd offer.

My Delta offer says "vacation packages". Are flights "vacation packages"?

edit: nvm, I clicked the terms and see it's not valid for flight only.

If it's worth it, you might be able to book a really cheap motel for 1 night and just not use it. I think you have to call if you don't want the hotel dates to match the flight dates. Unless it's a reservation within 30 days, Delta takes a deposit. So you might be able to use this offer more than once on the same booking (twice if it's around $2000, 3x if it's $3000 or more).

For anyone looking, Delta Vacations has WDW Disney hotels.

ETA: There might be a 2 night minimum for hotels to be part of a package. Couple years back there was a 2 cpp Delta Vacations redemption promo and a bunch of strategies came out from that.

There's also an Amex Offer for Delta that came out a couple weeks ago, not sure if those have run out already.

Last edited:
Accidentally posted this in the wrong place before so reposted here:

Looking for some help if anyone is willing to help out. Not brand new to the board but began planning for a trip and then COVID hit and put all those plans on hold. Looking to go to WDW next summer. We have the following Chase business and personal cards between my spouse and I: Ink Business Unlimited (both), Ink Business Plus (both), Ink Business Preferred (both), Ink Business Cash (spouse), Freedom (both). By "both" I am meaning each with our own account and not as an authorized user. Between all the Chase cards we have almost 354,000 Ultimate Rewards points. I've read that you can transfer the Ultimate Rewards points to Marriot rewards and then redeem for stays at the Dolphin or Swan. Do we need an active Marriott rewards credit card to do this? We don't have any currently open but I have checked and have a Marriot rewards account with a working login and a handful of a few thousand points there. Just didn't know if you need an active Marriott card or a specific Chase card to do the transfer or even how you do the transfer...

The second question is more in regards what else should I be looking at as a targeted strategy to further reduce trip costs. I didn't know if I should be looking at the Citi Premier or Citi Prestige as an option for park tickets. We haven't had any new credit cards in at least a couple years; maybe longer (I'd have to try and check a free credit report to be certain). And there maybe better things I should be looking at or other cards. So, if any more experienced or expert users wanted to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

So I have 2 Best Buy offers on one of my Chase cards, one is for 10% off up to $25 and expires in 3 days. The other is for 10% off up to $44 and expires in 10 days. Ideally, I'd like to use both these offers (to buy gift cards), so does anyone know if Chase will honor these in order of expiration date? I don't want to go buy $250 in gc's and they use the 2nd offer.
Have you already added them? I guess so since you know the discount amount. Weird that both offers are on one card and overlap. I would buy $250 GC and a $440 GC at the same time and take screenshots of the offers just in case you need to call.

Looking for some help if anyone is willing to help out. Not brand new to the board but began planning for a trip and then COVID hit and put all those plans on hold. Looking to go to WDW next summer. We have the following Chase business and personal cards between my spouse and I: Ink Business Unlimited (both), Ink Business Plus (both), Ink Business Preferred (both), Ink Business Cash (spouse), Freedom (both). By "both" I am meaning each with our own account and not as an authorized user. Between all the Chase cards we have almost 354,000 Ultimate Rewards points. I've read that you can transfer the Ultimate Rewards points to Marriot rewards and then redeem for stays at the Dolphin or Swan. Do we need an active Marriott rewards credit card to do this? We don't have any currently open but I have checked and have a Marriot rewards account with a working login and a handful of a few thousand points there. Just didn't know if you need an active Marriott card or a specific Chase card to do the transfer or even how you do the transfer...

The second question is more in regards what else should I be looking at as a targeted strategy to further reduce trip costs. I didn't know if I should be looking at the Citi Premier or Citi Prestige as an option for park tickets. We haven't had any new credit cards in at least a couple years; maybe longer (I'd have to try and check a free credit report to be certain). And there maybe better things I should be looking at or other cards. So, if any more experienced or expert users wanted to chime in, it would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations on your stash!

Your CIP comes with the ability to transfer to partners, but not the CIU, CIC, or Freedom. You do not need a Marriott cc to do it. You just need the loyalty account number and the name needs to match your Chase account.

It may not be the best value to transfer Chase UR to Marriott though, unless you're just topping off. Swan and Dolphin costs 50k Bonvoy points regular rate and 60k if your dates go up to peak (40k non-peak, but that's a lot rarer). UR usually transfer 1:1, though there's a 50% transfer bonus now. Let's say the dates you want are 50k, then it would cost about 33.3k UR. If you had a Chase Sapphire Reserve, you could book it through the travel portal at a 1.5 cent per point rate. So that 33.3k UR would be worth $500. I think cash rates usually are lower than that? Bonvoy award redemptions come with 5th night free, so you'll need to factor that in too.

There are some great bonuses on the Bonvoy cards now. Expires soon on 11/3. The Amex Bonvoy business card is at 125k with 2 free night certificates up to 50k. That could be 4 nights at the S&D on one bonus.

Only way this makes sense is with a 5 night stay since the 5th night is free for Bonvoy members that book at marriott.com. With the current transfer rate through Chase you will do 'just OK'. There are better ways to use the points- but at least you will be getting some value out of them and your stay will be free :) I would pay cash and use them for flights- but we all have different priorities with the way we like to use our points.

Saw this on Reddit : https://global.americanexpress.com/...sel,MULTIPR,Carousel,Offers,SingleLink,i83174
Free night with $8k spend. Worked for my Aspire.

Thanks! Got it on both our Aspires. But not on DH's Surpass.

Now my gears are turning. Do I downgrade DH's Aspire to a Surpass so the spend can also go towards the 15k FNC. I don't see anything in the terms that prevents that. Renewal was in June, already got the FNC and used the resort credit (guess that might be subject to claw back). Still have a little left on the airline credit I should use up before. 🤔

Just had some more thoughts. Get a Hyatt membership number. Transfer 100k URs to Hyatt and stay at the Regency for 5 nights. It isn't as convenient as the Swolphin, but will save you at least 100k URs. This leaves you with 250k URs. Use the leftover points towards 2 RT economy class tix you would transfer either United- then you pay for 2 of your expenses instead of one- and you will still have some points leftover.

Last edited:
Maybe the award booking service could be on Dischurners? I would be interested just to know more about it.
I hoard points. We have a lot of points. Will have over a million URs when the next statement closes (wiped out that spend too quick, need another), over 500000 Delta miles, and more. Our problem is we can’t go anywhere for more than a week at a time. Which really really stinks.
we hide in the basement tonight. Our dogs go ballistic if anyone comes near the door so it’s just too much work.

Happy_2_B gave permission to copy and paste their PM about what service they used to Dischurners. So, I just did that tonight.

It does! Also gives me something to strive for. I'm on the fence about retiring next year (long story that involves a large retention bonus for my current job as I'm in a business unit that is shutting down next year). I've been thinking that travel hacking/point accumulation might help defray the costs of our next few years of travel since we'll have the time to do it.

Was thinking of using UR points for some domestic airfare this summer, but if I book it via UR and pay, I'll get a decent return on points. So I guess my brain is starting to work in evaluating options.

Don't apologize! Much like hearing real world examples of using G+/LL, hearing real world examples of this is VERY HELPFUL! :D

That's our issue (due my DH's job). One of the reasons were considering retirement by 2023. Well, it was in our plans that he do so, but now it may be both of us. One way or another, we're planning a 2 week trip to Ireland in 2023 which would be our first 2 week vacation....ever.

Retirement will definitely give you more time to learn the hobby, adopt and adapt strategies for your situation. It will also give you more flexibility to jump on opportunities when they arise and not be constrained to specific dates. We all play the game differently and there really isn't a wrong way to churn. Personally, I don't get too bogged down on the value/return I get for my points. Granted, I do seek the highest value, but it's not like I would have spent real money on it instead of points in those situations for the most part. With that in mind, I'll share a real world example.

P2 aka PlanePrincess said he wanted to stay in an over water bungalow somewhere as a bucket list trip. I said it may take me 5 years to put it together. No problem and I start planning for French Polynesia. At around the 3 year mark, he asks when will we get to fly on one of the planes that has a shower in the first class section o_O so now we are more concerned with flight experiences and not just the destinations and I'm thinking someone's head is getting a bit too big for his tiara. I explained the easiest way for something like that is if we went to Dubai. He says it sounds like fun. Ok, switch gears and let's plan for a Dubai and Maldives combo. Thanks to Bon-Blah merging with SPG at the time we were able to take advantage of the situation and shave a year off the 5 year plan.

We wound up flying first class on Emirates but took a positioning flight from Miami to Houston to get the plane with a shower. I honestly don't recall if I paid real money or booked an award ticket on the positioning flight. It wouldn't have mattered and I would have paid OOP for the positioning flight. That Emirates flight with the shower was over $20,000 per person, so a couple hundred bucks to get to the plane we wanted to fly would have been fine. Emirates allows stopovers, so we flew to Dubai and stayed at the Al Maha Desert resort and spa which is an all inclusive for a few nights. The rooms at the time were about $1300 per night. We used 60K Marriott points per night to cover them since that was the cap before the merger.

Then, we flew to the Maldives and stayed a few nights in the over water bungalows at the Conrad Rangali. You have to take a sea plane to get there but we were able to leverage the Hilton Aspire resort credit for that. At the time it was about $500ish per person. We were able to make a pre payment of $250 with each of our cards before the calendar year ended. Then during the next calendar year when we took the trip we charged the flight to the room so the sea plane was close to free. The bunglaows were about $1200 per night but we used Hilton points. I had plenty in my account from cc bonuses. However, I do purchase Hilton points every year during the 100% bonus sales because I can usually get out sized value with them.

The Hilton Aspire gives you Diamond status. This allowed us to have free breakfast and cocktail hour which was quite savings since food there is expensive. A club sandwich was over $30. When I added up the costs of just the flights and accommodations, the trip would have been over $57,000 before any food. I feel I got a great value/return for the points and miles that I used. Taxes on the flight were about $235. I never did bother to add up the value of each point. What for? I was never going to actually spend $57k to do this trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter