I love credit cards so much! v4.0 - 2021 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well today I paid off the last of my "divorce debt". I got about $7k in debt w/ my divorce. I've had the money all along in savings, but 4 years ago, my savings accts actually earned something. So I moved the debt around from 0% acct to 0% acct. I did the BOA Americard twice ($0 transfer fee, 0% balance), and sent it to the Amex Everyday (same 0/0 offer). Today my 0% ended on my BOA account, so I paid off the balance ($1800). I spent the last 4 years sending $100-200 to the card. I'm going to send the extra $200 to my CIC/CIU cards (0% on those right now) I'm floating balances on right now (new dishwasher, back to school expenses, etc). And once everything is back into paying it off monthly (which I would assume I'll be good to go after the holidays), I plan on trying to send that $200 into savings. I've been good about sending my "refinance" savings into an account each month instead of letting it just absorb into my budget. Sadly my "raise" this year seems to only be $50/paycheck. So that's just getting absorbed into the budget w/ the cost of everything going up WAY more than that.

While I have a nice savings (again from the divorce), I haven't done really much to add to it over the last 4 years. I have done bank bonuses, etc that have helped grow it a bit. The idea was that it was my downpayment for a beach/rental property. But the prices, are still insane, so that dream is on hold. So I guess now, is saving what I can now...even if small, to have a bigger cushion when I possibly retire in 2.5 years.

Anyways, one debt is gone! YAY!!!! Now the question is, do I close the BOA card? It's $0 AF. Last time I "paid it off" (by transferring to the Amex) they PC'd me to the Rewards card, which is how I was able to open another Americard, LOL. Overall, I don't like BOA, and rarely use their cards. So IDK if it's worth keeping (other than lowering my utilization).

So I went digging in my own receipts and looks like the Amex benefit applied shown on the receipts is wrong. It only shows the plat bucket of credits, not the gold credit. At first I thought my gold credits weren't applied for months!

I have a gift card in my account, so that makes it harder to figure out. Had to go through the receipts since I added the gift card and add up the amounts I went over the credits. It did add up for me though. If the excess is charged to cc it's easier to figure out.

Hope your issues get resolved!
That sounds exactly like what I’m seeing. I’ll go back and run the numbers like you did. Thank you!

My oldest is 16 and should be driving on his own in a couple of weeks. I'd like to get him started on a card for credit building, and so we don't have to deal with getting him gas money. He doesn't have a job, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to just make him an authorized user on one of my or DH's cards, or get him his own card where we co-sign? Probably keep in the chase family since we have a bunch of those already. I do not want to deal with a pre-loaded card, or setting him up with a checking account etc until he actually HAS a job (probably June.)

Suggestions?

Just booked the last 2 nights of my trip at the swan reserve in case it goes away again. The first 5 are booked via Bonvoy points. Hopefully they can keep us in the same room.
So DH's CSR still has the Expidia portal, but his CSP has switched.

😁
@becausseimnew Your tip made me look into that, and my CSP shows a different travel portal than my husband's CSR, which is still showing as Powered by Expedia and has a different interface.

I booked the Swan Reserve on Powered by Expedia interface, so if anyone is interested in that hotel, I would take @Jax1023 advice and jump on it, in case it gets pulled. Swan Reserve is opening TODAY, so if Chase does have some behind the scenes work they do to pull Disney properties, this one may have slipped through as it is so new. I cancelled my ressie and added another night and now I feel like I got some exclusive deal.

My oldest is 16 and should be driving on his own in a couple of weeks. I'd like to get him started on a card for credit building, and so we don't have to deal with getting him gas money. He doesn't have a job, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be best to just make him an authorized user on one of my or DH's cards, or get him his own card where we co-sign? Probably keep in the chase family since we have a bunch of those already. I do not want to deal with a pre-loaded card, or setting him up with a checking account etc until he actually HAS a job (probably June.)

Suggestions?

Make him an authorized user on one of your cards. It's great for his credit too, especially if you choose a card with a longer credit history (assuming no payment blemishes). You can usually do so online.

Suggestions?

I believe you have to be 18 to get a card in your name. We couldn't even get my DD a debit card for her checking account when she was 16, which didn't seem right to me as I know her older sister had one before 18. As long as you have good credit, it is good for them to be added as an AU on your account to start their credit history.

I'd like to ask...has anyone here hesitated on a new CP plan b/c of the difficulties swa has been showing recently? Schedules changing, convenient routes dropped, delays,cancellations..... I still have points I will try to use, but not sure about the 'big push' for cp..... I'm really debating what cc next and I wonder if any of you are questioning this?

Data point for anyone with old WDW tickets that "fell off" your MDE app.

We got tickets through the 2x points promo Delta ran in 2019. The tickets were good through 2020, but we all know how that went, LOL! By Jan 2021 they weren't showing in my account anymore. We are now booked for 2022, so I called the ticket line and they said the value of the tickets are still applicable to future tickets, but an escalation team had to do it for me. He scheduled me for a call back. The escalation team used my Delta confirmation number to find the tickets, and we were able to use the value of the 2019 tickets towards tickets for 2022.

Learn from my mistake - make sure you capture the $ value of the tickets when you bought them. The amount I was credited seemed accurate, but I really only had a ballpark idea.

I've used TYP for our last WDW trip and our future, rebooked from 2020, DLR trip. It's a bit of trouble BC you have to call and make sure you get the Cruise dept but otherwise no problem. Like Chase, you can use points plus cash if you don't have enough points.

Any issues linking the tickets to MDE?

Grrr, I've been sitting on an AMEX offer for 5% back when you use it to pay your insurance. Well my renewal finally comes due this month, I go to pay only to find out Progressive does not take AMEX. >:(
Haha, I had an AMEX MSR to meet, we switched insurance on the home and car. Home doesn't take cards at all. Insurance is now Progressive, so you know the rest. I feel your pain

I'd like to ask...has anyone here hesitated on a new CP plan b/c of the difficulties swa has been showing recently? Schedules changing, convenient routes dropped, delays,cancellations..... I still have points I will try to use, but not sure about the 'big push' for cp..... I'm really debating what cc next and I wonder if any of you are questioning this?
All airlines are having issues (note American last weekend), so in my view, if you plan to fly in 2021/2022, you are rolling the dice re: delays. For us, we are based out of a small airport and SW is one of our limited choices. We have always had good service with them. I'm apprehensive about potential delays, but whether I'm flying for free on points of paying cash on another airline, I will have the potential for issues.

😁
@becausseimnew Your tip made me look into that, and my CSP shows a different travel portal than my husband's CSR, which is still showing as Powered by Expedia and has a different interface.

I booked the Swan Reserve on Powered by Expedia interface, so if anyone is interested in that hotel, I would take @Jax1023 advice and jump on it, in case it gets pulled. Swan Reserve is opening TODAY, so if Chase does have some behind the scenes work they do to pull Disney properties, this one may have slipped through as it is so new. I cancelled my ressie and added another night and now I feel like I got some exclusive deal.
I feel like when Riviera Resort opened, some rooms snuck through onto the chase Expedia portal. So it does seem that new hotels sneak through at first and then go away.

If your interested in booking the swan reserve with UR, I’d jump on that soon

Honestly no, I think all airlines are having issues. And I think SW is the only one that seems to care to make it right. When they cancelled our flights in June, they gave us $250 Luv vouchers per person (not including CP). I can't imagine that other airlines do the same.

2022 will be DH's 4th year of maintaining the CP and we plan to use it for 3 trips. I'll also try to earn the CP, so that we have 2 CPs.

No. Everyone is having issues. They'll pull it together.

Well today I paid off the last of my "divorce debt". I got about $7k in debt w/ my divorce. I've had the money all along in savings, but 4 years ago, my savings accts actually earned something. So I moved the debt around from 0% acct to 0% acct. I did the BOA Americard twice ($0 transfer fee, 0% balance), and sent it to the Amex Everyday (same 0/0 offer). Today my 0% ended on my BOA account, so I paid off the balance ($1800). I spent the last 4 years sending $100-200 to the card. I'm going to send the extra $200 to my CIC/CIU cards (0% on those right now) I'm floating balances on right now (new dishwasher, back to school expenses, etc). And once everything is back into paying it off monthly (which I would assume I'll be good to go after the holidays), I plan on trying to send that $200 into savings. I've been good about sending my "refinance" savings into an account each month instead of letting it just absorb into my budget. Sadly my "raise" this year seems to only be $50/paycheck. So that's just getting absorbed into the budget w/ the cost of everything going up WAY more than that.

While I have a nice savings (again from the divorce), I haven't done really much to add to it over the last 4 years. I have done bank bonuses, etc that have helped grow it a bit. The idea was that it was my downpayment for a beach/rental property. But the prices, are still insane, so that dream is on hold. So I guess now, is saving what I can now...even if small, to have a bigger cushion when I possibly retire in 2.5 years.

Anyways, one debt is gone! YAY!!!! Now the question is, do I close the BOA card? It's $0 AF. Last time I "paid it off" (by transferring to the Amex) they PC'd me to the Rewards card, which is how I was able to open another Americard, LOL. Overall, I don't like BOA, and rarely use their cards. So IDK if it's worth keeping (other than lowering my utilization).
It's not just utilization- it is credit history that impacts your score. There's no AF- so no reason to just not let it sit there and 'get older'. The longer a line of credit has been open- the more it impacts your score. If you've only had it a year or two not a big deal- but I just closed my original Sapphire from way back in the day after transferring the CL to another card- and my score dropped by almost 100 points. Some of that was from opening a new CC around the same time- but that wouldn't account for a 100 point drop.

Any issues linking the tickets to MDE?

Haha, I had an AMEX MSR to meet, we switched insurance on the home and car. Home doesn't take cards at all. Insurance is now Progressive, so you know the rest. I feel your pain

Traverlers is the same so I always end up getting a visa/MC at the grocery store when I'm working on amex. Use it for ins and the chiropractor since he also doesn't take amex.

Suggestions?

My kids get AUs on my card (and sock drawered) at 12/13 until they need them. My DD has cards she uses for gas, etc. Also Chase will let you open a HS checking that comes w/ a debit card when/if that time comes. I don't think they can get a card in their name until they are 18.

All airlines are having issues (note American last weekend), so in my view, if you plan to fly in 2021/2022, you are rolling the dice re: delays. For us, we are based out of a small airport and SW is one of our limited choices. We have always had good service with them. I'm apprehensive about potential delays, but whether I'm flying for free on points of paying cash on another airline, I will have the potential for issues.
Actually AA and SW are having "more" issues because they don't have the crews for the schedules they are building. They are just hoping flight crews will pick up OT. AA waited on bring back people from leave, and it's a standstill getting them through recurrent and flight check. AA's meltdown you'll notice was the end of the month....they had crews that not just timed out, but timed out for the month! So that's why they had to cancel. When crews get timed out, they end up in other locations, you now have to get cres to airports which is fun if it's not a base, etc. But AA apparently called back a bunch from the 2 year leave early now, so Nov and Dec should have more crews. Just sharing what I've learned from the pilot wife groups I'm in. Spirit's meltdown was in August was lack of ground crews and schedulers. That led to the above (timing out and displaced). I know AA isn't giving much in regards to compensation (I got $150 voucher for mine in June). Spirit I know was giving hotel, food credits. And I know they refunded flights and gave vouchers for future flights.

It's interesting to be on the "inside" now, LOL.

It's not just utilization- it is credit history that impacts your score. There's no AF- so no reason to just not let it sit there and 'get older'. The longer a line of credit has been open- the more it impacts your score. If you've only had it a year or two not a big deal- but I just closed my original Sapphire from way back in the day after transferring the CL to another card- and my score dropped by almost 100 points. Some of that was from opening a new CC around the same time- but that wouldn't account for a 100 point drop.

It's a newer card (opened 18mos ago). So shouldn't impact history score. I should look and see what my oldest is. If I PC my CSR (one of my older in my name, thanks divorce), will that history stay?

now why didn't I think of that?!?!

I know travelers doesn't like the cards because if you cancel they refund to the last payment. But I wasn't planning to change so it's never been an issue.

Used my PPK to finish paying this 6 months off last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter