I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really curious when (or maybe IF?) rentals will come down. Truly insane. We have a car booked for Bozeman for 8 days that is costing twice as much as an Escalade cost us just 3 years ago (though maybe I don't want to pay that gas anyway). I'll be curious what "automatic upgrade" I'll get now that I'm President's (via Venture X). We've only used Hertz for the last 10 years because my corp discount made it competitive with anyone else.
Ha ha. Yes we have a rental from Bozeman for late August too, 6 days. I thought it was alot when we booked it. (Around $700, one way to Jackson Hole). I checked again last week and it was over $2K. Rental cars are just insane prices. And add the cost of gas now too. Our Yellowstone trip will be more expensive than many international trips we've taken, and I am still not coming to terms with it, lol.

It glitched out on Chrome earlier today for me, but it's working now. I thought maybe I did too many searches lol.

Thanks so much! You were right. It's really glitchy. We switched to Safari and had the same trouble, but every now and then it is working. Couldn't find anything until the Fall, but we found something!!! We have had to cancel so many trips over the last couple of years, so I am thrilled to find a use for our FNC. :goodvibes

For those that have been to DLP and Paris, did you do Disney or Paris first? We will arrive at 9:30AM on Sunday and depart at 11:00AM the following Saturday.
I'm thinking 3 nights in each location. My original thought was Paris first, but seems like some things are usually closed Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

We did DLP first and I think about the same mix as you, 3 nights in each location, but I think you could do DLP for 2 nts and Paris for 4 as well. If I recall it was because it seemed easier to arrange transportation to pick us up from the airport and take us to DLP. The train seemed a bit complex and didn't seem to save much money. I think it was good to be able to adjust to the time change and jet lag that way as well.

Not sure what you have booked for DLP hotel, but most of their hotels are super, super basic, almost motel-esque. Everything you've read about that is true.

We did Remy's restaurant and that was one of the highlights of our time in DLP.

If I recall you are planning for Nov or Dec. FYI, when we went in spring, the Eiffel tower was absolutely frigid at night time, being outdoors and so high up. So I would dress in underarmour type thermals and full winter coats, hats/gloves, etc, for that.

For the Louvre, we did ThatMuse scavenger hunt and it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for the reminder! I need to book my Paris/Rome nights for my August trip. Luckily, my CIB SUB points hit tomorrow. Now, I just have to make a final decision on where I want to stay.

I prefer aspirational properties even if I have to pay for a night or two. Anybody stayed at the Hilton Maison Astor in Paris? Any Hyatt/Hiton/Bonvoy suggestions for either city?

We stayed at the PHPV and it's fabulous, but an issue if you need to squeeze 3-4 people in a room. I had it booked again for 2020 but had to cancel, and I'd stay there again if we get the chance to go back to Paris.

For those that have been to DLP and Paris, did you do Disney or Paris first? We will arrive at 9:30AM on Sunday and depart at 11:00AM the following Saturday.
I'm thinking 3 nights in each location. My original thought was Paris first, but seems like some things are usually closed Sunday/Monday/Tuesday.

We only spent part of a day at DLP so just took the train into Marne la Valle (I believe that's the place) because we wanted to spend most of our time in the city itself. I'd look at the dates and check out park hours vs. the hours of things you want to see in Paris and see if one works better for you. We were there over Easter weekend and DLP was the only thing open that day (but in the end we took the train through the chunnel to London and spent the afternoon at the British Museum which was also open). Tourist sites in Europe sometimes close really early even if they are open on the days you want to visit.

I think we actually got more steps in in Paris than at the parks. We took the train to Versailles and there was a ton of walking there, too.

I haven't but iirc @mmmears has been to the PH Vendome in Paris. I've also read great things about the Hotel de Louvre (both Hyatt properties). I stayed in the Westin Excelsior in Rome (Bonvoy) on a tour and it was very nice but sadly don't remember much other than a lot of marble lol since I was so jet lagged. 😆 Enjoy your planning!

Thanks for the mention. :) I was deciding between that hotel in Rome and the Ferragamo place and went with the latter, but now that we have points it's good to hear that the Westin is a good choice. The reviews were mixed and I didn't know anyone who had stayed there.

Well Bonvoy DP.....

I just booked the Courtyard Carolina Beach for the dates 6/28 to 7/2. My FNC expire on 6/30 and it let me apply to my last night (which is 7/1). I have a trip planned to NC, but I normally like to stay around Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach. I have a trip planned with the kids in August and we'll stay there for sure. I figure this is a back up if I can't figure out anything else to do with the FNC before then. I already have the other hotel I normally stay at (Holiday Inn Express) on hold. So I'm covered if I back out.

This now has me looking at changing my flight though, LOL. It's 2.5 hours from PGV to Carolina Beach. ILM is right there, and then there is MYR (on Spirit, aka free, LOL) which is 2 hours away. The rental car out of ILM is $30 more, but an SUV which I prefer. The flight is 23k miles more. MYR would be free, but the rental cars are $600, even off site. I guess I have time to figure it all out, since everything can be cancelled.

Now I can overthink trying to find somewhere else to use these free nights before then!

Just throwing out my experience a couple years back - I booked a Marriott FNC night for the expiration date and when it came time to check-in we found it had been cancelled/expired and they deducted points from our account instead. We were able to get it worked out on the phone but it wasn't easy. So me personally wouldn't feel like it was successful just yet. I had booked our night a few weeks in advance and everything looked good until check in day.

Again, this was a couple years back so maybe they're just glitchy enough for it to actually work now? It'd be nice to see a positive Bonvoy'd DP.

Can I cancel a bofa biz card through sm or do I need to call?

Think I'm going to app for another Alaska biz but with a "biz" this time. Got the one I have March 1 last year so I want to cancel it.

Any Citi card that earns TYP can be used to purchase DLR tix directly thru Citi (actually Cx Travel does it for Citi) but as they are 1 cent per point now, you could get the same value as using Chase UR and cashback. I'm not sure what you mean by using the points by purchasing thru travel agent, TYP are worth the same as cashback or thru Citi travel portal.

I found the Marriott properties hard to book, especially the Fairfield Anaheim. We stayed at Camelot Inn our first stay. Not luxurious by any means but it was fine. No fancy pool. Honestly after being in the parks all day, the shorter the walk to the hotel, the better. Visiting this summer and booked the Best Western thru Chase portal with UR. Even shorter walk from parks. If you won't spend much time at the hotel, go for close proximity. If you'll use the pool daily and spend time in the hotel, go for amenities.
My kids are still fairly young- will be 5 and 10 when we go. The 5 year old will still nap. We can’t handle all day at a park, we do morning til like 1, then a nap/swim. Head back for dinner. With only being at Disneyland for 3 days we’ll likely push our luck with the kids and try and stay for fireworks/ world of color. But that will definitely require a break.

Which car rental companies let you use your status benefits when booked via 3rd party.. is it National?
As far as I've been able to tell it depends entirely on what 3rd party you booked with. I've been able to use Thrifty, Hertz, Budget, National and Alamo using AutoSlash that books through Priceline.
I haven't but iirc @mmmears has been to the PH Vendome in Paris. I've also read great things about the Hotel de Louvre (both Hyatt properties). I stayed in the Westin Excelsior in Rome (Bonvoy) on a tour and it was very nice but sadly don't remember much other than a lot of marble lol since I was so jet lagged. 😆 Enjoy your planning!
Not that it's probably going to matter to anyone here but after next week the Vendome is no longer bookable using a FNC. It is one of the properties going up to Cat 8, Hyatt certs only go up to 7. No idea what the points price is going to be, but I'd bet much higher than it is now.
I'm really curious when (or maybe IF?) rentals will come down. Truly insane. We have a car booked for Bozeman for 8 days that is costing twice as much as an Escalade cost us just 3 years ago (though maybe I don't want to pay that gas anyway). I'll be curious what "automatic upgrade" I'll get now that I'm President's (via Venture X). We've only used Hertz for the last 10 years because my corp discount made it competitive with anyone else.
It's usually one car class at non UC locations like BZN. You can get some fantastic upgrades with PC at UC locations like MCO though.

our plan is dlp first since the boys we're taking will be super excited. then paris proper for 4 nights.

I was going to need my original FNCs extended in Jan. When I called they told me to call back closer to the exp date and that I had to still have the card. Then they got extended. I was kinda hoping I could get an extension since I've technically not asked prior, they gave one system wide! Esp considering some of these have been extended several times. I earned my FNC in Jan 2021. When did you get yours?
Mine posted Dec. 24, 2020. I was hoping the same thing.
You may also want to consider whether your DLP days would be weekday or weekend. I am going for the first time in August. We are doing DLP first because we arrive on Monday and leave on Sun. I have read that weekends are busier than weekdays in the summer, so we are going at the start of our visit to avoid the weekend.

Anything else I need to know that may have changed? I don't see Universal Tickets on the portal currently but in the past they kind of came and went. Have people been able to get them since the portal change? I can always do PYB through UT (possibly a better deal that didn't exist when I did this last time) but am curious what the redemption is like both ways.

There's no PYB category for travel if that's what you were thinking? CSR categories are dining, airbnb, select charities, annual fee, and Away luggage (going way 3/31). CSP is similar, but no dining or AF.

My kids are still fairly young- will be 5 and 10 when we go. The 5 year old will still nap. We can’t handle all day at a park, we do morning til like 1, then a nap/swim. Head back for dinner. With only being at Disneyland for 3 days we’ll likely push our luck with the kids and try and stay for fireworks/ world of color. But that will definitely require a break.
For 3 days then I'd probably spring for a Disney hotel. GCH would be the best not only because it's the nicest, but it's also closer to return for naps and breaks. The Disneyland hotel is farther than some of the places on Harbor IIRC.

Kink in my plans that I didn't even think about which is my fault. NC only takes visa or mc for tax payments. I guess instead of putting the amount over 15k on my just approved Alaska biz I'll put the whole NC on it and go over msr. It'll leave me with a bit over that msr to do on my surprass for the fnc. Not a huge deal but frustrating since I would have been done with the 15k and over half done on the msr with the tax bill. Oh well.

Kink in my plans that I didn't even think about which is my fault. NC only takes visa or mc for tax payments. I guess instead of putting the amount over 15k on my just approved Alaska biz I'll put the whole NC on it and go over msr. It'll leave me with a bit over that msr to do on my surprass for the fnc. Not a huge deal but frustrating since I would have been done with the 15k and over half done on the msr with the tax bill. Oh well.

Did you consider Plastiq already? Though the 2.85% fee may be more than the state charges.

Did you consider Plastiq already? Though the 2.85% fee may be more than the state charges.

It's 44 more than through the state site but can I use plastiq for that with amex? I know sometimes amex is weird about paying taxes and giving points.

It's 44 more than through the state site but can I use plastiq for that with amex? I know sometimes amex is weird about paying taxes and giving points.

Taxes with Amex are allowed on the Plastiq chart. I've done it with property tax some time ago when they had a discounted fee promo.

I've done many Amex SUBs with taxes (property and federal). I think the reports of issues comes about because sometimes Amex SUBs are just delayed. When people ask about it, some reps erroneously say taxes don't count.

I've used plastiq with amex for MA state taxes. Is the debit fee rate the same as cc fee for taxes in NC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter