I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the grocery gas home improvement on my Hyatt, they actually emailed me about it. I'd rather have Hyatt points than the Lowe's discount, so I'll try to remember to use it there.

I have that 5k offer on all 3 of my CICs, never gonna bother with it. Even my ligit business doesn't spend that. I actually need to call and PC that one to a CIU because it makes more sense for us.
I got nothing on my Hyatt and I also would prefer Hyatt points to Lowes 5%

I do this too!! I always worried something will happen and I will miss payments especially with all those cards. This way I know I will never get a bad credit report or a late fee. I always go in and pay the balance before the due date but I need a back up to ease my anxiety lol.

I read this advice from you awhile back and so I did it too - It changed my life for the better! Thanks btw :drinking:

What Starbucks offer is this? I don't remember anything about it.

How do you maximize points/earnings on Costco gas? I never know what card to use there. I use my (CIC 5X UR) VGC or MCGC for my warehouse purchases but GCs don't work for gas.
I use my Citi Costco card which is 4% on gas. Plus Costco gas is always the cheapest in my area. (It's not much really as I drive a hybrid and gas up about once a month if I'm not on a trip.) I have the Executive membership and my DD shares my membership, but I collect the checks since I pay for the membership. Plus, I spend all my money on my grandkids anyway.

The Starbucks offer is 10X on up to $500. I got it on my CSP. I've seen people saying CSR, CSP and Freedom cards.

Edit: For those interested, the 5% on Freedom cards is listing Costco, Sam's and BJ's as examples of eligible gas stations this quarter.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it could I book a refundable flight and then cancel after the credit is applied? I’ve seen people doing that to use the CSR credit. I think that would work better for me as we have a ton of RR points and I doubt we’ll be needing a gift card for awhile.

Edit: For those interested, the 5% on Freedom cards is listing Costco, Sam's and BJ's as examples of eligible gas stations this quarter.
Good to know about Costco gas! I automatically assumed it wouldn't count, but like you we don't fill up often.

Too bad Universal hotels charge as Loew's Hotels and travel, maybe I will buy some Universal gift cards in the shops when I'm there and see if that works for the 5% back.

Now that I think about it could I book a refundable flight and then cancel after the credit is applied? I’ve seen people doing that to use the CSR credit. I think that would work better for me as we have a ton of RR points and I doubt we’ll be needing a gift ca
That is a good plan too, it will have an expiration date to be aware of though.

My AF is due on my CSR. I upgraded it from a CSP over a year ago and want to downgrade back to a CSP. I have used my travel credit which reset in March. Can I do that? Also my AF is due on my United Quest. I also have the United biz card and don’t see the reason to keep both. I used the GE on both cards as well as the travel credit on the CSR. And I have a PP on my Venture X. Also, just got approved for a CIU after getting an immediate denial followed by the letter. I called to have it reconsidered and had to discuss my business with a rep. I found out a few days later when a new card showed up on my Chase app under my biz cards.

My AF is due on my CSR. I upgraded it from a CSP over a year ago and want to downgrade back to a CSP. I have used my travel credit which reset in March. Can I do that? Also my AF is due on my United Quest. I also have the United biz card and don’t see the reason to keep both. I used the GE on both cards as well as the travel credit on the CSR. And I have a PP on my Venture X. Also, just got approved for a CIU after getting an immediate denial followed by the letter. I called to have it reconsidered and had to discuss my business with a rep. I found out a few days later when a new card showed up on my Chase app under my biz cards.

You can downgrade back to a CSP. If you don't need the benefits, you can also downgrade to one of the Freedoms (no fee).

For the United Quest, there's a no fee personal United card you can downgrade to. When you hold the United biz card and a personal United card, you get 5000 anniversary miles.

Hit up our very sad Saks (they have the escalators blocked now because there's no merchandise upstairs anymore) today for two $50 gift cards. Then I traded in dd's Apple Watch 3 at Best Buy to get her a blender and knife set for our campus apartment. Been a productive day!

And I don't know if anyone's been to the Homestead, but boy is it getting long in the tooth. It's undergoing a huge renovation but I'm skeptical. Can't believe how bad the Omni let it get.

That is a good plan too, it will have an expiration date to be aware of though.
What expiration? My plan was to book a flight that was fully refundable and then cancel it after the credit posts and have the flight cost credited back to the card. Would they not credit the card if you cancel a refundable flight?

I just looked to book an airbnb...$500 per night for 2 nights...ok. when I get to the final page where I get to see all the fees, it's up to almost $1,600. $600 in fees... that's more than the price of another night! I just couldn't. It's insane.

I need to buy WDW park tickets for our Sept trip. Just bought DVC direct in May so this is our first time not having an actual WDW vacation “package”. I want to maximize on earning Cash Back/Points and just save as much money as possible with the cards that I have and get the best bang for my buck. I’ve been trying to research this topic on here all day, but haven’t quite found the answer I’m needing. Sorry, I don’t have all of the abbreviations figured out yet so I will spell it all out. I am also not interested in getting a new credit card. I just got the CSP card in May and that’s what I used to purchase my DVC ownership and have already earned my SUB, which was awesome!!

Here are the cards that I already have and am considering making this purchase with:
* Chase Disney (regular not premier)
* Chase Freedom
* Chase Freedom Unlimited
* Chase Sapphire Preferred

Apparently, I love Chase ! 😂

I need to purchase 4 adult tickets. This will just be a short trip. Probably want 4 day tickets with Park Hopper, but no water park option. Around $2200 total.

From what I have read on this thread, buying park tickets will not code as travel, but as entertainment. From my calculations this is what I’m coming up with. The 5% bonus (up to $1500 purchase) on the Chase Freedom card this quarter lists Disney World as entertainment so I assume that includes buying tickets, but that only earns $75 max cash back, plus $7 for the overage, $82 total. My Disney visa only earns 1% on all purchases, so $22. CFU earns 1.5%, so $33. I’m so very new to the CSP so I’m not sure what this purchase would earn. I’m also not against buying Disney gift cards at Kroger or Sam’s club on any of these cards if it earns me more. I saw where some people recommended buying tickets from websites like Undercover Tourist, but I’m not sure how that will code on any of my cards or if it’s a good alternative to purchasing directly from Disney.

I think I’ve covered everything I know so far. I’m sure there is tons of advice that y’all can give me to make this best savings scenario for me !! I appreciate it.

So here is what I've been doing for discounted Disney tickets. Let's see if it would make sense for you. I have been buying gift cards at Kroger online for the fuel points. So during a 4x promotion (I think there is one running right now), for every $250 in GCs, you'd receive 1000 fuel points, which equals $1 off a gallon of gas at select gas stations (up to 35 gallons). Since you mentioned Kroger, I assume you have a Kroger gas station near you to redeem your fuel points, or a Kroger gas station partner (ours is BP in Wisconsin)? So P2 and I fill gas together to get up to the 35 gallons, which saves us $35. $35/$250= 14% savings.

Your purchase at Kroger will code as blackhawk gift cards (NOT grocery), so if you used your CFU= $2250 * 1.5%= $33
If you max your savings at the pump, $35 fuel savings/$250 gc for $2250 worth of GCs= $315
Your total savings/earnings would be= $348/$2250 or nearly 15%

I don't know how this compares to the savings you'd get by buying discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist, or something like that. UCT also gets great discounts on rental cars, if you are needing that.

Also, fuel points requires a bit of work, filling up large vehicles or multiple cars, so it's not for everyone. And the fuel points do expire at the end of the following month, so you'd have to be able to use the points in a timely fashion, or be able to spread your purchases out if you don't go through that much fuel.

If you go this route, I'd search some blogs first to make sure you understand everything before going all in. And then maybe start small to see that it works for you.

I just looked to book an airbnb...$500 per night for 2 nights...ok. when I get to the final page where I get to see all the fees, it's up to almost $1,600. $600 in fees... that's more than the price of another night! I just couldn't. It's insane.
I really hate how AirBNB will sort by the per night price, but the fees are different for all of the properties, so it's not at all an apples to apples comparison!

Info you didn't solicit, but thought I'd share for others considering an AirBNB: If you do go the AirBNB route, don't forget to go through the BA site to get Avios. And you could consider buying discounted GCs for AirBNB, but caution that you have to have to use these on the original payment. You can't pay the first 50% and then later use a GC.

I really hate how AirBNB will sort by the per night price, but the fees are different for all of the properties, so it's not at all an apples to apples comparison!

Info you didn't solicit, but thought I'd share for others considering an AirBNB: If you do go the AirBNB route, don't forget to go through the BA site to get Avios. And you could consider buying discounted GCs for AirBNB, but caution that you have to have to use these on the original payment. You can't pay the first 50% and then later use a GC.
Thanks for the reminders. 👍

What expiration? My plan was to book a flight that was fully refundable and then cancel it after the credit posts and have the flight cost credited back to the card. Would they not credit the card if you cancel a refundable flight?
Yes, they will if you pick the refundable fare. I've done it actually by accident before and then, you know, "by accident" again ;)

Yep, we’re in the same boat. Trying to book 2 nights next month at the beach. It’s “$100” per night, so it should be like 200 + tax/fees, right? Yeah when you get to the totals page it’s 644 😂😬 it’s so dumb how Airbnb sorts by price but then sticks it to you in fees. I wish they would show you the total “real” per night price with everything included as you search.

I've heard (but not yet personally tested) that AirBnB recently made a change and now you can use GC for both initial payment and subsequent payments.

So here is what I've been doing for discounted Disney tickets. Let's see if it would make sense for you. I have been buying gift cards at Kroger online for the fuel points. So during a 4x promotion (I think there is one running right now), for every $250 in GCs, you'd receive 1000 fuel points, which equals $1 off a gallon of gas at select gas stations (up to 35 gallons). Since you mentioned Kroger, I assume you have a Kroger gas station near you to redeem your fuel points, or a Kroger gas station partner (ours is BP in Wisconsin)? So P2 and I fill gas together to get up to the 35 gallons, which saves us $35. $35/$250= 14% savings.

Your purchase at Kroger will code as blackhawk gift cards (NOT grocery), so if you used your CFU= $2250 * 1.5%= $33
If you max your savings at the pump, $35 fuel savings/$250 gc for $2250 worth of GCs= $315
Your total savings/earnings would be= $348/$2250 or nearly 15%

I don't know how this compares to the savings you'd get by buying discounted tickets from Undercover Tourist, or something like that. UCT also gets great discounts on rental cars, if you are needing that.

Also, fuel points requires a bit of work, filling up large vehicles or multiple cars, so it's not for everyone. And the fuel points do expire at the end of the following month, so you'd have to be able to use the points in a timely fashion, or be able to spread your purchases out if you don't go through that much fuel.

If you go this route, I'd search some blogs first to make sure you understand everything before going all in. And then maybe start small to see that it works for you.
Thank you. That does make total sense to me! We do have a Kroger and get fuel there. We have an F-250 diesel truck, plus a Yukon and a Corvette that both require the 93 premium gas so we do spend a lot on fuel each month. I do have a Kroger Visa card also that I believe gives us and extra $0.05 off a gallon at the pump.

Thanks for the great advice. I am going to look more into this and see how I can make it work for us. It may not work for this trip since I have to buy our tickets by next week, but for sure it could be perfect for our next trip in May. I keep hoping the AP sales will start again soon, but no luck yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter