I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't really dabbled with Amex at all yet (all I have through Amex is an old no fee card that I basically sock drawer unless I want to use an offer). However, I got an email offer for 90,000 SUB on a Gold Card plus 4x points on restaurants and groceries that I'm considering. Is this good for this card, or should I wait for a better offer?

The 90,000 MRs is a pretty good offer - not sure I have seen a better one for that card. The 4x restaurants/groceries is standard for the Amex Gold.

I haven't really dabbled with Amex at all yet (all I have through Amex is an old no fee card that I basically sock drawer unless I want to use an offer). However, I got an email offer for 90,000 SUB on a Gold Card plus 4x points on restaurants and groceries that I'm considering. Is this good for this card, or should I wait for a better offer?
That’s the highest offer I’ve seen for the gold.

Saw a couple of 20% off Best Buy up to $20 on some of my Chase cards this morning. Too bad I have all the Disney cards I need for an upcoming trip. (Plus the Best Buy closest to me closed.)

And question- is there any problem with me booking an ADA accessible room if I don’t actually need it? I’m looking for two beds in NYC on points, which is not always easy to find. One of the ones I did find with two queens has a roll in shower. I didn’t see any restrictions listed, so I assume it’s ok for me to book it?

Saw a couple of 20% off Best Buy up to $20 on some of my Chase cards this morning. Too bad I have all the Disney cards I need for an upcoming trip. (Plus the Best Buy closest to me closed.)

And question- is there any problem with me booking an ADA accessible room if I don’t actually need it? I’m looking for two beds in NYC on points, which is not always easy to find. One of the ones I did find with two queens has a roll in shower. I didn’t see any restrictions listed, so I assume it’s ok for me to book it?

Hilton customer service once told me - try to avoid booking an accessible room if you can, but if that is all that is available with the dates/points you need, then you are welcome to book it.

I had called them when I was booking a hotel that only ever seemed to have accessible rooms available as standard room redemptions. At check-in, I was upgraded to a non-accessible room anyway.

yeah, 99% of the time, they move you into a standard room anyways.
The only time ive gone from a standard room to an ADA was when they upgraded me to a suite at hyatt.

Sorry for the duplicate (?) question - isearched my old posts and not sure if the answer applies here but...Hyatt- can I check in on some points booked night that are thru DH's acct if he's not with me?

Sorry for the duplicate (?) question - isearched my old posts and not sure if the answer applies here but...Hyatt- can I check in on some points booked night that are thru DH's acct if he's not with me?
I've not had a problem doing so as long as I'm added as a guest for checkin.

Getting ready to book two nights at the Hyatt Waterfront Hotel in Oakland.

DH and I both have our free night certificate from holding the Hyatt card - they were just issued so don't expire until August of 2023.
DH has lots of Hyatt points in his Hyatt account due to cancelling a booking earlier this summer.
It's a JDV Hyatt, so it will be another brand for both of us (and will actually give each of us 5, so another free night).

I am planning on booking one night in each of our names so we get the brand credit. I will use my free night certificate (by default since I don't have any points without transferring). One night is 15,000 points and one night is 12,000 - so I'll book the 15,000 in my name for sure.

On the night to book in DH's name - is there any reasoning between either using the free night certificate or using points? As far as I can tell, it's a category 4, so I guess that's the highest we can use the free night for. The only reason I was thinking of using points is because the 2nd night is off peak, so fewer points. I don't know if we'd be able to use DH's free night certificate for a category 4 hotel later that would need more points. Or, it could be the other way too (end up using on a lower category hotel for even fewer points).

I'm new to having choices lol, so just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything!

Do you check your dashboard to see if they are pending? I referred DH and he was approved on 7/26. I don't see anything yet, but not sure where I should be looking either.

When you're in the card details if you click on "See rewards details & redeem" pending support points will be here along with the normal reward points. I haven't documented past approvals and when the support points show up so I'm not sure if it is consistent. Usually it's 2-3 weeks from what I've seen.

wow, I only have 10%. I would love 20.

Ok, here goes.

Newbie here.

We are contemplating buying DVC direct, and I have read about people charging the purchase to get 0% interest and maybe to get various kinds of points. I know nothing about any credit cards except the one we have, but a purchase this big seems like an opportunity to get some points in return. I’d appreciate any thoughts about which card/cards would give us the most bang for the buck. I’d only want to do it if it’s simple and easy to manage.

Answering questions from stickie #2:

We have not applied for any credit cards in the last 24 months. We have one card we have used for the last 5 years or longer, through our credit union. We both have excellent credit.

We do not spend a lot monthly on a card. Mostly use it for big expenses, unusual purchases, and expenses.

We pay off our credit card each month. Fly out of Philadelphia. We fly American, Spirit and Frontier the most. Yes, SW flies out of Philly. No hotel rewards preference. We have points from our credit card – 52,000. Have used those points in the past to buy plane tickets.

As far as goals, I’d love to offset travel costs in any way, like using points for plane tickets.

We travel to Orlando usually once a year in Feb (sometimes more often) and most years fly somewhere else as well. Plan to fly to Mexico City in 2023, probably summer. Want to get out to Disneyland in the next year or two or three also.

Our travel party is two adults and two kids - age 11 and 3.

TIA for any thoughts. I started to read some articles and blog posts and feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of options.

When you're in the card details if you click on "See rewards details & redeem" pending support points will be here along with the normal reward points. I haven't documented past approvals and when the support points show up so I'm not sure if it is consistent. Usually it's 2-3 weeks from what I've seen.

Thank you! Still not there, but it's just been right at 2 weeks at this point.

Southwest has 40% off flights to and from California with promo code SAVE40. Sale ends today.

https://frequentmiler.com/southwest...y01U6naYLFiRb3OQ-upCft7W58gugjYAy8Y1NX9mokV7I

Thank you for posting! We are flying home from California on Sept 6th and it looks like the late night flights are the only discounted ones that day. It does make them abour $200 cheaper than the flight that we currently have booked, but we have to go to work the next day, so I don't want to be getting to our airport after midnight! Considering it's all with points and we're just buying one ticket due to the companion pass, I think we'll stick with what we have for now.

Ok, here goes.

Newbie here.

We are contemplating buying DVC direct, and I have read about people charging the purchase to get 0% interest and maybe to get various kinds of points. I know nothing about any credit cards except the one we have, but a purchase this big seems like an opportunity to get some points in return. I’d appreciate any thoughts about which card/cards would give us the most bang for the buck. I’d only want to do it if it’s simple and easy to manage.

Answering questions from stickie #2:

We have not applied for any credit cards in the last 24 months. We have one card we have used for the last 5 years or longer, through our credit union. We both have excellent credit.

We do not spend a lot monthly on a card. Mostly use it for big expenses, unusual purchases, and expenses.

We pay off our credit card each month. Fly out of Philadelphia. We fly American, Spirit and Frontier the most. Yes, SW flies out of Philly. No hotel rewards preference. We have points from our credit card – 52,000. Have used those points in the past to buy plane tickets.

As far as goals, I’d love to offset travel costs in any way, like using points for plane tickets.

We travel to Orlando usually once a year in Feb (sometimes more often) and most years fly somewhere else as well. Plan to fly to Mexico City in 2023, probably summer. Want to get out to Disneyland in the next year or two or three also.

Our travel party is two adults and two kids - age 11 and 3.

TIA for any thoughts. I started to read some articles and blog posts and feel a bit overwhelmed by the amount of options.
The Chase Disney Visa card has 0% interest for 6 months on Disney purchases, including DVC, and you'll earn 1% or 2% back depending on which card you have. If you don't care about 0% interest for 6 months then there are better options. If you want to keep it simple and are only interest in 1 or 2 cards to manage I would start with Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP), you and your spouse could each get one.

The bonus (SUB) for the CSP is 60,000 points, for spending $4,000 in 3 months and has a $95AF. If you each got your own CSP you could earn a minimum of 143,000 Chase Ultimate rewards which could be transferred to Southwest. You would earn 64,000 (60K SUB + 4K for the spend) then refer (support links) your spouse, which will earn you an additional 15K URs, plus the 64K from his card.

That should be easy to manage, then after a year one of you could downgrade a card to a Chase Freedom which doesn't have an annual fee, you'll need to keep one CSP to be able to transfer points to travel partners.

I would also suggest purchasing all flights with the CSP, because it comes with travel delay benefits. Here is a write up on how it works.

We also have a group on Reddit for support links if you are interested in the CSP or a Disney Visa.

Biz - I was thinking that would tie in / increase my chances for the biz card. I hate denials too, and they're the only bank I've been denied! Should I attempt the personal? Or that's too much within a couple days?

My impression is it's fairly common for biz checking to ask for docs. I would think it's ok to try for a personal, but I don't really know. I haven't done that many bank account bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter