I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year! I am new to the Disboards and was recommended by another Disney fan that this board could help me build my credit card collection over the years and help me with earning points and rewards. I am a 1st-year college student so I don't have very many major purchases besides the usual gas, groceries, and food. I live with my mom still and she has more credit cards than I do and has good credit so I would like to simultaneously use my and her good credit and our cards to gain points and travel more. She has more of the usual costs such as groceries, insurance, cell phone, etc. Our goals are mostly travel-related and tend to be larger trips to Europe, Asia and the Americas, and Disney Trips.

1. Me
12/21 --- Capital One Quicksilver Card

2. Mom (sorry I don't know the other information)

AMEX Platinum Card
Chase Freedom Card
Chase Ink Card
Costco Citi Anywhere Visa Card
American Airlines Citi Card

I would like to know what you guys recommend are the best way to earn and accumulate points for travel or what programs are available that would allow us to earn points. Thank you!

Happy New Year! I am new to the Disboards and was recommended by another Disney fan that this board could help me build my credit card collection over the years and help me with earning points and rewards. I am a 1st-year college student so I don't have very many major purchases besides the usual gas, groceries, and food. I live with my mom still and she has more credit cards than I do and has good credit so I would like to simultaneously use my and her good credit and our cards to gain points and travel more. She has more of the usual costs such as groceries, insurance, cell phone, etc. Our goals are mostly travel-related and tend to be larger trips to Europe, Asia and the Americas, and Disney Trips.

1. Me

AMEX Platinum Card
Chase Freedom Card
Chase Ink Card

I would like to know what you guys recommend are the best way to earn and accumulate points for travel or what programs are available that would allow us to earn points. Thank you!

Happy New Year and :welcome: to the thread! PIF each month is the cardinal rule. It will take time to build your credit history, so be patient. We each approach the game differently and there is know wrong way to churn so to speak. My personal method has been to build up a family of cards (Chase is my main one) and focus on the bonus categories for all of my keeper cards. Starting out though, it was all about the new card bonus and hitting that MSR. I still do that too of course. Hitting an MSR is the fastest way to accumulate points.

Most of us on this thread will say start with Chase. Find out what mom's 5/24 status is if she is going to be your willing P2 and you are doing the homework while you build your credit history. Chase Freedom has the 5x quarterly bonus categories, so make sure your mom should has activated that on her account. This quarter it is groceries and Ebay. Find out which Chase Ink card she has since Chase has a few different flavors of Ink card and they each have different spedning bonus structures. Some are more lucrative than others. . There's the old Ink Plus, CIP, CIC and CIU. They are all business cards which is good because they don't count towards your 5/24 but you'd still need to be under 5/24 to get them from Chase. Don't apply for a card unless you are sure you can meet the MSR and get the bonus. Many ways to do that. If she is under 5/24 I's say go for a Chase Ink Preferred assuming it has been more than 3 months from her last Chase card.

Do most of you get charged a convenience fee if you use your credit card to pay property taxes? Ours is 2.09%. Thinking of applying for the SW biz card to get me to CP sooner and pay the taxes. I’m 4/24 and I have 2 other cards I’m working on the MSR Sw priority opened 10/22/2021 and Venture x opened 12/6/2021. Taking my time on the x as I already have a good stash of Cap One miles to use. I also have a large deposit to make on a Generac. Is it too soon to try for a biz card? My only other biz card is the CIP which I opened Jan 2021 and I’ll be downgrading when AF comes due to a CIC.
mines 2% but they give me 4% for paying early I was short about that much to hit globalist on spend/low nights this year so I felt it was worth the 2% YMMV might be worth it if its not to bad.

I use it for car rentals, Expedia’s prices are pretty in-line with Costco. And I’ve been looking at hotels/Airbnb in Japan and the options on the new CSP portal suck.
transfer to hyatt I am planning a trip for 2023 myself (I don't think its going to open this year).

transfer to hyatt I am planning a trip for 2023 myself (I don't think its going to open this year).
That’s when we are planning a trip too. I would like to stay at apartment style hotels since are girls will be 12 & 15 and we’ll be traveling for 18 days. I would need a lot of points for 2 hyatt rooms.

Well I figured out the issue w/ my taxes....you can only do 4 transactions, 10 min apart and then have to wait 5 days. So I should be able to pay off the rest of my taxes with the VGCs.

I have to laugh at the Away talk.....I just found out how my the BF's black "cloth" bag cost. Needless to say I was SHOCKED how much they are. For now I'm rolling with the purple 3 piece set I got for $70 from Macys, LOL.

Next weekend is a 3 days weekend for me, and the BF is off. Trying to talk him into going somewhere. I joked with him that it's been too long since I've had Zaxbys (bad thing is, he just had Zaxbys on Monday when he was in RSW). I could also do with some time away from the cold and snow!

Thanks for your input and advice. I think it will be difficult to achieve Hyatt Globalist at the moment. Not only will it be hard to stay that many nights and/or spend that much $ on the card, I think the status only last for about a year+ and then you have to keep staying and spending to keep the status from year to year? Has the SUB been better in the past?

Seems like throwing a $450 AF to Hilton (once a year) to achieve Diamond status is the easiest for my lazy ***.

I need to do some research to see what benefits are available and which ones will be valuable to me.

Thanks again!
I got the Aspire in 2019. I cancelled the card in 2020 and got to keep Diamond. That has now continued to be extended (thank you Rona). It's been nice riding it for so long!

Do most of you get charged a convenience fee if you use your credit card to pay property taxes? Ours is 2.09%. Thinking of applying for the SW biz card to get me to CP sooner and pay the taxes. I’m 4/24 and I have 2 other cards I’m working on the MSR Sw priority opened 10/22/2021 and Venture x opened 12/6/2021. Taking my time on the x as I already have a good stash of Cap One miles to use. I also have a large deposit to make on a Generac. Is it too soon to try for a biz card? My only other biz card is the CIP which I opened Jan 2021 and I’ll be downgrading when AF comes due to a CIC.
I'm paying mine this go round w/ VGC I bought for a SUB but also the 5xURs. So I think it's worth the fees. But if I don't have VCG or a SUB, I'll probably pass on using a CC.

Whoa! Holy moly! I haven’t been on the boards in ages but am actually planning my first real Disney trip (live in the area so have always done casual head over for a weekend type deals) and saw the shoutout!

This thread has for sure taken on a life of its own! I haven’t been in the churning game for a little bit now but still keep an eye on maximizing points on spend.

After a house purchase and complete remodel I find myself sitting on almost 3 million Marriott points :rotfl2:I’m still not sure how all that accrued (as I did not spend $3 mil lol) - lots of bonus points for high spend during my reno for sure. I guess I should follow along for some redemption ideas!

I can’t believe how much work has gone into this thread/concept over the years!

Can some of you fine folks answer some questions about the Personal AMEX Plat? I got an offer for 25k MR for 2k spend to upgrade along with 10x groceries and gas for the next six months. If I take the upgrade from my Gold to Plat, what are the differences between the AU Plat that costs $175 and the AU Gold that costs nothing? Would my wife be able to use the lounges on her own? Is there a second GE credit for a Plat AU? Clear? And can I use the DL SkyClub if I'm not travelling on DL that day? I have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks from MKE on SW, the only AMEX Plat lounge there is the SkyClub.

Whoa! Holy moly! I haven’t been on the boards in ages but am actually planning my first real Disney trip (live in the area so have always done casual head over for a weekend type deals) and saw the shoutout!

This thread has for sure taken on a life of its own! I haven’t been in the churning game for a little bit now but still keep an eye on maximizing points on spend.

After a house purchase and complete remodel I find myself sitting on almost 3 million Marriott points :rotfl2:I’m still not sure how all that accrued (as I did not spend $3 mil lol) - lots of bonus points for high spend during my reno for sure. I guess I should follow along for some redemption ideas!

Just want to say HI. I remember when you started the original CC thread. :)

1. Me

AMEX Platinum Card
Chase Freedom Card
Chase Ink Card

Somehow my response got goofed above. lol

I'll echo Calypso on PIF (pay in full) every month or do not play the game. That being said, it's smart to start building your credit at such a young age. I'm surprised how many of my kids' friends had no idea how to be responsible with a credit card.

Since you just got the Quicksilver in 12/21, I'd recommend holding off for 6 months or so. Use it, pay it off monthly. Later this year, have your mom refer you for a Freedom card. Whatever variety is appealing to you. Chase doesn't want to issue cobranded cards to people without much of a credit record. After using the Freedom responsibly, the world of Chase will be open to you. While in college, my DD had a Discover first, then Freedom, then SW. Post grad with a job, she got the CSP.

For your mom, find out her opening dates on her cards to figure out her 5/24. If she's under 5/24. She doesn't have a CSP or CSR. Either of those would give her travel use of her URs from the Freedom and Ink card.

Can some of you fine folks answer some questions about the Personal AMEX Plat? I got an offer for 25k MR for 2k spend to upgrade along with 10x groceries and gas for the next six months. If I take the upgrade from my Gold to Plat, what are the differences between the AU Plat that costs $175 and the AU Gold that costs nothing? Would my wife be able to use the lounges on her own? Is there a second GE credit for a Plat AU? Clear? And can I use the DL SkyClub if I'm not travelling on DL that day? I have a trip scheduled in a couple weeks from MKE on SW, the only AMEX Plat lounge there is the SkyClub.
https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-c...xpress-platinum-card/adding-authorized-users/

Oh wow! I would transfer some points to AA and book nice trip to the Maldives 🇲🇻
Enjoy your remodeled home and all those points.

Keep in mind that if you haven’t had the plat before, taking the upgrade offer locks you out of the SUB in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter