I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you cancel it or modify it? I had been cancelling and it takes like 10 min to be able to rebook but someone here (sorry I forget who) mentioned modifying the existing res which is what I did. On the app I hit the edit and it took me to the room choices and had the 45k per night as an option. Clicked it, confirmed and it was all done. Super easy and way less stressful.

I canceled it. Will try the modify next time! Didn't know it was an issue. I've canceled and booked something else before with no lag.

I need a new card...I'm 2/24. I have a side "business" but the limits on business cards have been too low for my purposes lately. I need a card with no foreign transaction fees. I have 2 bills I have to pay in British pounds (tuition and medical) which will put me over pretty much any spend. Ideally, I would do a platinum amex but the university only takes visa and Mastercard so I'm stuck with those. I will have an immediate need (in April) for a flight from London to the States so I value any travel rewards. I'm thinking either a capitol one or a chase BA card. Any thoughts?

As an FYI from someone who has been paying tuition in GBP for the last 2+ years, Amex seems to be hit and miss when it comes to foreign transactions counting towards MSR. I have had one success and two fails. The first one almost cost me a SUB, but I caught it with 2 weeks to spare so I could make up the spend. I argued with several amex reps over this, but none could really explain why the spend was not counted for MSR purposes, though one rep speculated that somehow the currency conversion process may make it look like a finance charge. Like I said, I gave up and met the spend elsewhere so I didn't pursue my argument to its conclusion.

I have had no issues with Chase on GBP payments. I am currently working on the Cap1 VenX MSR and have included GBP tuition payments in my spend, but i still have $4k to go so I don't yet know if there will be any problems. Cap 1 VenX could be a good choice for you as they seem to give good credit limits - $30k seems fairly common.

As for Chase BA, could work for you particularly if you have use for the 'Travel Together' voucher you get after $30k spend, I think. But taxes on BA awards can be really high for long haul. I tend to use my stash of BA Avios for short haul flights in Europe.

I had a DCL cruise booked for my big 60 in August 2020 that was canceled. Finally did my first big trip since Covid in Germany and France this past December. Also went to Garmisch but opted to stay at the Edelweiss lodge, a military resort. We spent New Years there. Going back to Garmisch in May to see the Passion Play. We’ll be staying at an Airbnb in Austria (renting a farmhouse) when we go down for the Sound of Music tour. I used my Cap One Venture x when DS and I stayed at an Airbnb near DLP. Used my free $200 credit. And DD is using her Venture x credit in Austria. Are you by chance military? You can erase your travel charges with Cap one. I’m really starting to appreciate this card!
No, not military, but I am a DoD Civilian. We looked at the Edelweiss lodge, but opted for the 3 bedroom house since my sister and her husband were going to be joining my family of 4.

As an FYI from someone who has been paying tuition in GBP for the last 2+ years, Amex seems to be hit and miss when it comes to foreign transactions counting towards MSR. I have had one success and two fails. The first one almost cost me a SUB, but I caught it with 2 weeks to spare so I could make up the spend. I argued with several amex reps over this, but none could really explain why the spend was not counted for MSR purposes, though one rep speculated that somehow the currency conversion process may make it look like a finance charge. Like I said, I gave up and met the spend elsewhere so I didn't pursue my argument to its conclusion.

I have had no issues with Chase on GBP payments. I am currently working on the Cap1 VenX MSR and have included GBP tuition payments in my spend, but i still have $4k to go so I don't yet know if there will be any problems. Cap 1 VenX could be a good choice for you as they seem to give good credit limits - $30k seems fairly common.

As for Chase BA, could work for you particularly if you have use for the 'Travel Together' voucher you get after $30k spend, I think. But taxes on BA awards can be really high for long haul. I tend to use my stash of BA Avios for short haul flights in Europe.
I appreciate the heads up. DD's uni doesn't seem to take amex at all so that would not be a problem for me. Good to know though. What are your suggestions for getting her home for spring break cost effectively? If BA isn't a good option, what works? It looks like all flights from LHR have huge taxes no matter the airline. Also, I'm cutting it a bit closer for an April flight on points. I was thinking of buying through a portal (like chase) maybe or somehow of travel reimbursement like cap 1

Delta and American have historically had lower taxes than BA and Virgin. It is less of an issue if flying economy, but those taxes really start to mount up in the premium classes. My last UK flight was on American in September , and I think I paid about $460 in taxes for Premium to UK and Business return to BOS. Was about $1000 less than the equivalent on BA.

Delta and American have historically had lower taxes than BA and Virgin. It is less of an issue if flying economy, but those taxes really start to mount up in the premium classes. My last UK flight was on American in September , and I think I paid about $460 in taxes for Premium to UK and Business return to BOS. Was about $1000 less than the equivalent on BA.
I'm not flying her premium. She'll do in an economy seat. Lol.

I love so many things about the Venture X. I've even planned to fly thru IAD to meet my sister when we fly to Frankfurt, Germany in May and hoping to try out the new Cap One lounge there. (Fingers crossed that it will be finished by then!) Hard to say how long they will continue that offer. Cap One also has another offer for a biz card with a huge spend ($50,000 in 6 months) with a $3000 cash bonus. Since you get double miles, that equals 400,000 miles for that card! I'm hoping that offer stays around for a bit. I just got a Unite biz card 10 days ago so need to spread out. The Cap One biz card will be for our business using the EIN, just have to make sure we have some big purchases coming up.
Hey @sinnika, looks like there is a new snail mail mail targeted offer on the biz card that gets $3500. Keep an eye out for it and maybe see if there's some place you can opt in for marketing from Cap One?

I will be booking a European Cruise this week for May 2023. 2 cabins. 5 of us. I have a United Card (actually DS's) that I need to meet SUB on, so could use that. Or should I use my CSR - even though I will be buying separate trip insurance.

I have a DLR tix from UCT. As it's expired, UCT says we need to contact DLR about it. DLR says the only place that can issue a new tix is the ticket booth at DLR in Anaheim. So I need to get to Anaheim, get a new ticket and then make park reservations for the whole week for a park hopper in June. Seems ridiculous that in 2022, there is no other way to do it than in person and I risk going cross country, only to not be able to get into the parks.
Anyone see a problem with this? Any chance it will be so crowded I won't get in?
Depends on whether it is a busy time. I was in a similar situation in Oct because I bought tix and then decided I wanted to add a day. Found out I could only do it at a ticket booth. I was worried about reservation availability because we visited Columbus day weekend. I ended up "holding my nose" and buying 1 day tickets so I could make our reservations. It was a good thing I did because every single day booked up for both parks before we left for our visit. If you are going during a "normal busy" time, maybe just watch the ressie calendar for a couple of weeks to gauge whether or not days fill up. Good luck!

I'm not flying her premium. She'll do in an economy seat. Lol.

When my son flew back last month, he said economy was only about 30% full. Lots of pax had a row to themselves. By contrast, the premium economy cabin had only a few empty seats, I'd be surprised if demand had increased to the point of flying full planes by spring break, so economy could work out really well.

Depends on whether it is a busy time. I was in a similar situation in Oct because I bought tix and then decided I wanted to add a day. Found out I could only do it at a ticket booth. I was worried about reservation availability because we visited Columbus day weekend. I ended up "holding my nose" and buying 1 day tickets so I could make our reservations. It was a good thing I did because every single day booked up for both parks before we left for our visit. If you are going during a "normal busy" time, maybe just watch the ressie calendar for a couple of weeks to gauge whether or not days fill up. Good luck!
This is a 5 day 2 park ticket. So I need 5 days in June, after school lets out which is busier though I'm not sure it's "holiday weekend" busy. So frustrated with this. But I can't really afford another $500 ticket when I have one already.

I have a DLR tix from UCT. As it's expired, UCT says we need to contact DLR about it. DLR says the only place that can issue a new tix is the ticket booth at DLR in Anaheim. So I need to get to Anaheim, get a new ticket and then make park reservations for the whole week for a park hopper in June. Seems ridiculous that in 2022, there is no other way to do it than in person and I risk going cross country, only to not be able to get into the parks.
Anyone see a problem with this? Any chance it will be so crowded I won't get in?
It really is ridiculous! Last summer I got a one day ticket, made a reservation, then had to switch days. of course I couldn’t just reserve a different day because the price for my new day was higher and there was no way to upgrade online so I called. I was lucky the CM on the phone was able to do it for me, but she said only because I had originally paid with a gift card. Weird.

Will they let someone make the change at the booth on your behalf? I’ll be there next month and would have time to do it for you if that’s allowed.

When was the last time you opened a Chase business card? It seems that they are giving higher credit limits, P2 was just approved for the CIC with a $7,500 CL. But I think the CIP is the only ink card that doesn’t have a FTF.
Just had the same experience with a higher CL given on my DHs CIU application…$7,500 CL……in the past he was only given a $3,000 limit on a CIC

Do Chase AU’s get their own separate offers like with Amex? I don’t see any on mine. Do the AU’s just use their own card and get the offers that are loaded on the primary card?
Offers are shared on Chase cards because the card number is shared on Chase cards. I have three Chase cards, my wife is an AU on all three, the numbers are the same between my primary and her AU cards on all three.

So now that my Kabbage bank bonus posted, I'm thinking of doing the other Amex Business Checking account bonus. It's $300 like the Kabbage one, and the interest rate of 1.1% is nice. I don't know why I hesitate before apps. UGH. Especially ones like this that have NO SPEND! It's literally just moving money into an account. And wait some time, and poof, free money! LOL.
I keep getting kabbage biz account offers.... I'm afraid to try this for a 'biz'...... does it work for 'businesses'?

I got a credit for the AF on my SWA card last year. If I close the account will I be able to open another or does that credit count as a bonus and exclude me from earning a new SUB?

I got a credit for the AF on my SWA card last year. If I close the account will I be able to open another or does that credit count as a bonus and exclude me from earning a new SUB?
As long as it’s been a year since you received the credit, and 2 years since your last sign up bonus you’re good to go. It’s recommended you wait approximately 30 days after closing to apply for the new card so it’s cleared from Chase’s system.

As long as it’s been a year since you received the credit, and 2 years since your last sign up bonus you’re good to go. It’s recommended you wait approximately 30 days after closing to apply for the new card so it’s cleared from Chase’s system.

I got the credit in August so I guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter