I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question on buying apple products. We have decided to get my mom an apple watch for her birthday. She's 78 and pretty techy for her age. She uses an iphone very well and currently uses a fitbit for her watch. My sister heard about the fall detection on apple watches and we decided we needed to get one for her. I know it's not fool proof, but it's something that she's gotten nervous about since she lives by herself and I think it will give her some peace of mind.

Anyway, I seem to recall that there was a deal for purchasing apple products with the CSR, but I can't find anything on it, so maybe I dreamed it lol! I do see that there's a deal to get a $10 best buy gift certificate for buying $100 apple there which isn't all bad, but wanted to find out if I was dreaming about something with the CSR or if anyone knows another way to save on apple products right now.

Thanks!

I wanted to add that if your mom wears hearing technology (old term- hearing aids), they may have fall notification. Some of the newer updates for wearables include this.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you get changes. Even as little as 10 minutes can trigger the automatic system to ok a refund rather than TF. Otherwise not a lot you can do. As a lesson to anyone else in this situation, this is one of the few times where booking an Anytime fare would be worthwhile.
Yeah just epic fail on my part. This trip has been doomed since 2020.

Quick questions, I am working on my MSR for the Southwest Bus card. My first payment is due March 21. When will my statement close date be?
For the SW business card I just opened the first payment due date was February 17 and my first statement closed January 20th
..if your card follows the same pattern the close date would be February 24th

So I need Hotel CC 101 please!

We currently hold Amex Plat (me), Amex Gold (dh), CSR (me), CF (me), something Hyatt (dh), CFF (dh), SW Priority (me), CIU (me). We are both 0/24. I plan on going for SW CP for 2023-24.

If you were just starting out with hotel points, would you start with Marriott or with Hilton? Which brand is less stressful to deal with? Marriott will be having a devaluation soon, correct? What's the deal with FN certs? How soon do you receive the FN certs and are they then sent out at the same time each year (Q for planning purposes)? How difficult is it to stitch together stays using multiple FN certs from 2 people?

Right now I'm looking at using points/FNs on the Big Island in Oct/v early Nov and then in Sydney and Perth (maybe others) in Oct 2023. Regular domestic travel includes Sacramento/Davis and Colorado Springs when visiting family, and then road tripping to national parks (where we like to stay in-park on cash).

I appreciate the help!

I think Hyatt is the least stressful to deal with, then Hilton, then Marriott. But I like Hilton FNC the best (well, I'd probably like a Hyatt Cat 7 FNC the best, but I haven't gotten one of those yet lol).

For the Hilton FNC, as long as you can find a standard award night, there are no caps. They used to be a little more restricted in that you can only use them on weekends, but they've paused that requirement on FNC issued through this year. If you open an Aspire, you'll get an FNC about 2 months after opening the card, as well as about 2 months after each anniversary. I haven't had any issues using multiple FNCs. Our stay at the Grand Wailea on Maui was 2 FNC from DH and 1 from me. On our Fairfield Anaheim stay, we did have to re-swipe our cc each day.

We've stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Club Kings' Land twice on timeshare exchange. We like it a lot. Cash rate is usually reasonable, but point value is often high. I'm not sure if there are standard awards there since they might all be suites.

Have also stayed at the Westin Hapuna for one night. It's a beautiful place. That was 50k Bonvoy points, which is the regular rate. If dates go to peak, then it would be 60k. Who knows what will happen after March though. If we don't get Bonvoy'd hopefully most will stay between non-peak and peak at least for this year.

I keep reading about the SW cards and the CP and with this new SUB where you get the CP right after meeting the MSR, I'm so tempted. It's my FOMO kicking in.

Then reality hits. I have NEVER flown SW and am unlikely to do so. Our home airports are HPN/LGA and MIA/FLL (2nd home). I will pay more to not have to drive too far to the airport (if there may be traffic). Thus, ISP will never work for us. We drive to MCO when staying in MIA. I will also pay more to fly non-stop.

My DD2 is the only one who flies SW. She goes to school in Tuscaloosa (BHM airport) and during breaks, rather than fly her to NY or Miami where we are (and have connecting flights), we fly her non-stop to MCO where her older sister (DD1) is living. Then we go visit the 2 of them in Orlando. But since she is the only one flying the BHM-MCO route, we have no use for a CP.

Sounds like such a GREAT deal. Kind of sad I can't take advantage of it without manufacturing inconvenient travel for myself. Lol.

Booked flights to Japan for winter in case June doesn't happen (not looking good). Outbound was a bit harder, so ended up on Delta Comfort+ for 64k each one-way. Will have to reposition to LAX, but should be easy with SW and the CP. Cash fare is only $790, so not great cpp. But as it's a flight originating in the US (annoying Delta requirement), would be able to cancel and get everything back. On the way back, got KIX-LAX on JAL biz for 4 (yay!) with 60k AA miles each.

I considered changing the June flights I have booked with BA as website says I can change for free. But they restrict it to changes within 365 days of when the original flight was booked, so I couldn't do it. Not really ready to pay the redeposit fee or take a voucher yet.

Hi All!!!
Woefully behind ... I cheated and started catching back up at 01/01/22 ... still way behind.

Quick question: If I use CIC to purchase Dis GCs at Staples.com, are they digital (immediately available) or mailed out?

Want to pay some DVC dues that are due on the 15th, and I don't feel like leaving the house (snowstorm, but also just lazy :D )

Last edited:
Oh dang it...I lost an amex card. I canceled it and they're sending a replacement. My only question is... do the automatic payments I have on that card (my NY Times subscription is on it) continue on the new number or do I have to reset that before NY Times charges next month?

Oh dang it...I lost an amex card. I canceled it and they're sending a replacement. My only question is... do the automatic payments I have on that card (my NY Times subscription is on it) continue on the new number or do I have to reset that before NY Times charges next month?
The number should stay the same, but the CVV and expiration date will probably be different. More than likely you’ll just need to update that information.

Hey guys, you know how now with SW CP pass the CP recipient still has to check in but they are sorta pre-linked to the CP holder and get the boarding position before or after that person? So you can pay for EBCI for the primary person and the CP recipient essentially gets the benefit of their EBCI.
Anyone know if the same is true if you book a Business Select fare, i.e. the CP recipient would also get A1-15? Wishful thinking?

Most of the time recurring transactions will continue without a problem. I had to fight with Chase last year when my local newspaper kept charging me after I cancelled. Changing the card number didn't affect their ability to charge me. Had to go through three levels of CS to get someone who knew what was going on and how to fix it.

Hey guys, you know how now with SW CP pass the CP recipient still has to check in but they are sorta pre-linked to the CP holder and get the boarding position before or after that person? So you can pay for EBCI for the primary person and the CP recipient essentially gets the benefit of their EBCI.
Anyone know if the same is true if you book a Business Select fare, i.e. the CP recipient would also get A1-15? Wishful thinking?
It absolutely is not, BS fares do not allow companions to be checked in with them. There is a DP and discussion in the SW thread in the Transportation forum about that from earlier this week.

So I need Hotel CC 101 please!

We currently hold Amex Plat (me), Amex Gold (dh), CSR (me), CF (me), something Hyatt (dh), CFF (dh), SW Priority (me), CIU (me). We are both 0/24. I plan on going for SW CP for 2023-24.

If you were just starting out with hotel points, would you start with Marriott or with Hilton? Which brand is less stressful to deal with? Marriott will be having a devaluation soon, correct? What's the deal with FN certs? How soon do you receive the FN certs and are they then sent out at the same time each year (Q for planning purposes)? How difficult is it to stitch together stays using multiple FN certs from 2 people?

Right now I'm looking at using points/FNs on the Big Island in Oct/v early Nov and then in Sydney and Perth (maybe others) in Oct 2023. Regular domestic travel includes Sacramento/Davis and Colorado Springs when visiting family, and then road tripping to national parks (where we like to stay in-park on cash).

I appreciate the help!

Another vote for Hyatt first (you can always get one for yourself in addition to your DH's card), then Hilton, then Marriott. We haven't found great value with Marriott and it looks like it will only be getting worse in the future.

For those of you that have been Churning for several years, do you go through periods where you slow down?
I feel like I've got too much going on and I need to slow down, cut back on the number of cards we open.

I found this thread in April 2017, almost 5 years, we've opened about 50 cards between the 2 of us.

If the churning slows down the travel will also slow down. We haven't taken a break from traveling, but maybe we should.
I am not a churner, but I do use points for travel. With selling a house/purchasing a house, moving out of state, and whole house renovations, I just haven't had the capacity to keep up with all the ways to maximize points during the last year. Hopefully, I will have more time in the future.

A DVC Question: I usually pay dues with Disney gift cards. Can I pay dues with our CIP for 3x assuming it codes as travel?

Last edited:
It absolutely is not, BS fares do not allow companions to be checked in with them. There is a DP and discussion in the SW thread in the Transportation forum about that from earlier this week.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm putting my travel hacking glasses on and squinting real hard, and I'm justifying really high points for a quick weekend trip next weekend, cuz with CP it's "only half the price."

I am not a churner, but I do use points for travel. With selling a house/purchasing a house, moving out of state, and whole house renovations, I just haven't had the capacity to keep up with all the ways to maximize points during the last year. Hopefully, I will have more time in the future.

A DVC Question: I usually pay dues with Disney gift cards. Can I pay dues with our
If your next word was gonna be some CC, then no, unless you pay the entire balance. Partial balances (i.e. monthly) can only be paid with DGC or some kind of Disney credits

I see you were editing to ask about the CIP. I've heard the CSR counts for the $300 travel credit

If your next word was gonna be some CC, then no, unless you pay the entire balance. Partial balances (i.e. monthly) can only be paid with DGC or some kind of Disney credits

I see you were editing to ask about the CIP. I've heard the CSR counts for the $300 travel credit
I did go back to edit my post. We will be paying in full. I was asking about the CIP. We cancelled the CSR since we weren't traveling as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter