I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@platamama An update on the issue I had with adding DS as AU to DH's second plat. I was able to find the AU offer consistently under View All Cards, but it still wouldn't go through. I also tried without SSN and adding in his middle initial. The denial letters say it's because they've approved a card of the same type recently. Today is 91 days from when I did the AU on the first plat and it went through. So it would appear AUs of the same card type are subject to 1/90. I think only on personal cards though, because I've accidentally made DH AU twice on the same biz card (thought it didn't go through, did it again, ended up with 2).

Probably a niche DP, but I thought it was interesting lol.

@platamama An update on the issue I had with adding DS as AU to DH's second plat. I was able to find the AU offer consistently under View All Cards, but it still wouldn't go through. I also tried without SSN and adding in his middle initial. The denial letters say it's because they've approved a card of the same type recently. Today is 91 days from when I did the AU on the first plat and it went through. So it would appear AUs of the same card type are subject to 1/90. I think only on personal cards though, because I've accidentally made DH AU twice on the same biz card (thought it didn't go through, did it again, ended up with 2).

Your record keeping is on point! 😃 Glad to hear your DS is onto his next AU card. More MRs on the way!

So I need Hotel CC 101 please!

We currently hold Amex Plat (me), Amex Gold (dh), CSR (me), CF (me), something Hyatt (dh), CFF (dh), SW Priority (me), CIU (me). We are both 0/24. I plan on going for SW CP for 2023-24.

If you were just starting out with hotel points, would you start with Marriott or with Hilton? Which brand is less stressful to deal with? Marriott will be having a devaluation soon, correct? What's the deal with FN certs? How soon do you receive the FN certs and are they then sent out at the same time each year (Q for planning purposes)? How difficult is it to stitch together stays using multiple FN certs from 2 people?

Right now I'm looking at using points/FNs on the Big Island in Oct/v early Nov and then in Sydney and Perth (maybe others) in Oct 2023. Regular domestic travel includes Sacramento/Davis and Colorado Springs when visiting family, and then road tripping to national parks (where we like to stay in-park on cash).

I appreciate the help!

I'm probably the person who has been to Australia most recently (lol Feb 2020) and opened a WoH credit card just for the opportunity to stay at the Park Hyatt Sydney...and it was an amazing hotel and definitely worth the 5/24 slot. DH and I agree that it's our favorite hotel of all times...so my vote for Australia (there's a PH in Sydney and Melbourne) would be Hyatt. Can't help you with HI but there are plenty of others who have opinions on that. :)

Anyone know of a good resource that explains the best way to get Alaska Air award flights using UR or MR pts? We've had to make a change to our Vancouver trip and now the only flight that fits our schedule is through Alaska Air but we've never used them before. They have award availability on their own site (30K main / 50K first), RDU-YVR. But I wonder if we could find better through a travel partner.

Add me to the recommendation for Hyatt first and then Hilton. For utilizing FN certs DH and I like the strategy of we each get the same hotel card at the same time or very soon after one of us does. This way our FN certs drop and are available at or about the same time each year. I prefer not having to wait several months to piece together a 2 night stay with FN certs.

Chase drops the FN certs right about the same time your AF hits during your cardmember anniversary month. Amex will drop the FN certs 8-12 weeks after. So if you are trying to time when you will get your FN cert each year, get an Amex about 2-3 months before the month you’d like your FN cert to drop.

We each have 2 Aspire cards now and have had no issues using FN certs. You do have to call to book using those. I just booked 3 nights in Dubai at the Habtoor Palace LXR using 2 of my FN certs and one of DH’s. I emailed concierge and they confirmed they will keep us in the same room.

When we each had only had one Aspire, we’d make a one night reservation for each of us with the same room type. They can add a note to keep you in the same room. On check in we would just reconfirm that with the hotel. Same with Hyatt and Marriott FN certs.

Hope this helps :flower3:
the same for me i would go hyatt>hilton> FHR -independent hotel -amex hotel collection- marriot :) a little bitter i know.

Last edited:
Anyone know of a good resource that explains the best way to get Alaska Air award flights using UR or MR pts? We've had to make a change to our Vancouver trip and now the only flight that fits our schedule is through Alaska Air but we've never used them before. They have award availability on their own site (30K main / 50K first), RDU-YVR. But I wonder if we could find better through a travel partner.

Not sure about partners but 30k is good if it's rt. I've had sea to mco at 40k rt.

... Quick question: If I use CIC to purchase Dis GCs at Staples.com, are they digital (immediately available) or mailed out?

Want to pay some DVC dues that are due on the 15th, and I don't feel like leaving the house (snowstorm, but also just lazy :D )

I went ahead and signed up for a Staples acct ... and it appears the Dis GCs are hard-copy only and take about 2 weeks for delivery

So it would appear AUs of the same card type are subject to 1/90. I think only on personal cards though, because I've accidentally made DH AU twice on the same biz card (thought it didn't go through, did it again, ended up with 2).

I wouldn't expect it to be an issue with a biz card because those are not AU cards but "Employee" cards. Would alienate some business if an employee wasn't allowed a card because they were given a card from another employer.

I'm trying to get the answer out of AA, but does anyone know, a trip credit from AA, do I have to fly by the exp date or book buy the exp date? I'm trying to plan my summer trip to NC, but we get out later this year, and getting there before 6/25 is proving to be a challenge. UGH.

The only dates/cost that works has me staying over on a Saturday night. Well the points for the Sat night is like triple the other nights. So it kinda negates the 4th night free perk IHG gives.

Also do you know how the AA cancellations work? I know cancelling on points is easy. But if I cancel a "bought" ticket, and it's not basic economy, do I get a credit? AA twitter is taking FOREVER to respond.

So I need Hotel CC 101 please!

We currently hold Amex Plat (me), Amex Gold (dh), CSR (me), CF (me), something Hyatt (dh), CFF (dh), SW Priority (me), CIU (me). We are both 0/24. I plan on going for SW CP for 2023-24.

If you were just starting out with hotel points, would you start with Marriott or with Hilton? Which brand is less stressful to deal with? Marriott will be having a devaluation soon, correct? What's the deal with FN certs? How soon do you receive the FN certs and are they then sent out at the same time each year (Q for planning purposes)? How difficult is it to stitch together stays using multiple FN certs from 2 people?

Right now I'm looking at using points/FNs on the Big Island in Oct/v early Nov and then in Sydney and Perth (maybe others) in Oct 2023. Regular domestic travel includes Sacramento/Davis and Colorado Springs when visiting family, and then road tripping to national parks (where we like to stay in-park on cash).

I appreciate the help!

Add me to the IHG fans. I'd say for me, IHG - Hilton - Marriott. I have 5 FNC w/ Marriott and no idea when/how I'll use them. I have a friends/family hook up now w/ Hilton, so I find I'm staying with them the most. But I love IHG since the 4th night is free!

Alaska Air is a bit hard because the only transfer partner is Bonvoy at 3:1. You can book through partners, but there would have to be saver award availability. You can try AA to see if that particular flight comes up as an award. With that many miles, I'm thinking it's not saver. But if you do see it in AA, it should come up for other partners as well. Then you can figure out which transfer from UR or MR and is the better deal.

Other options would be to use UR through the travel portal. Or if you have a biz plat and selected Alaska as your airline, you can book with MR through Amex Travel and get 35% MR back (25% with biz gold). But these options would be less flexible as it would be equivalent to a cash fare.

Alaska Air is a bit hard because the only transfer partner is Bonvoy at 3:1. You can book through partners, but there would have to be saver award availability. You can try AA to see if that particular flight comes up as an award. With that many miles, I'm thinking it's not saver. But if you do see it in AA, it should come up for other partners as well. Then you can figure out which transfer from UR or MR and is the better deal.

Other options would be to use UR through the travel portal. Or if you have a biz plat and selected Alaska as your airline, you can book with MR through Amex Travel and get 35% MR back (25% with biz gold). But these options would be less flexible as it would be equivalent to a cash fare.
It doesn't come up on AA. I had tried British Air earlier and no go also. (If I'm doing it right--I just look to see if it's bookable with the partners). So I think it's UR portal or cash. Thanks very much for your help.

My DLR saga continues. So I have 3 tix from 2019/20 and was unable to use them in 2021. 2 were obtained with TYP and one from UCT. All are expired.
UCT says must contact DLR, they can't fix.
First call to DLR, CM says Cx Travel (Citi travel partner for TYP) must call to get new tix issued; for UCT must show up to DLR ticket booth in person to upgrade to new ticket.
First call to Citi, rep super nice, takes my info and offers to call me back after he calls DLR and gets new tix. He calls back to say, DLR told him *I* should call but not until my dates are open as they are only selling tickets for dates open for reservations.
Second call to DLR yesterday (our travel dates are now open for res) CM insists all upgrades/new tickets must be obtained by the travel agency who booked them. This includes Cx Travel and UCT. After telling her Cx travel was told no on this last week, she insists she's right because any refund has to go back to original purchaser. No mention of having to show up in Anaheim in person for either set of tix. Phone call 30 minutes long, after hold of 5 minutes.
Called Cx Travel back, after multiple menus to get to Cruise dept, I hold 20 minutes and get disconnected. Next call, after waiting another 15 minutes, a person actually answers. I explain, rep is nice, says please hold while I call DLR. She comes back 10 minutes later saying the hold time is so long and they will be closing so she'll need to call Monday.
I have emailed UCT again to see what they say, but I'm sure they'll reiterate the "nothing they can do" which they already told me.
So after 1 1/2 hours on phone, I have no resolution and little hope for one at this point. Plus now the rep will be calling me back on Monday while I'm at work, which is uncomfortable at best (I don't have a desk job, so always have to try to step away and find a place to talk). Ugh.

My DLR saga continues. So I have 3 tix from 2019/20 and was unable to use them in 2021. 2 were obtained with TYP and one from UCT. All are expired.
UCT says must contact DLR, they can't fix.
First call to DLR, CM says Cx Travel (Citi travel partner for TYP) must call to get new tix issued; for UCT must show up to DLR ticket booth in person to upgrade to new ticket.
First call to Citi, rep super nice, takes my info and offers to call me back after he calls DLR and gets new tix. He calls back to say, DLR told him *I* should call but not until my dates are open as they are only selling tickets for dates open for reservations.
Second call to DLR yesterday (our travel dates are now open for res) CM insists all upgrades/new tickets must be obtained by the travel agency who booked them. This includes Cx Travel and UCT. After telling her Cx travel was told no on this last week, she insists she's right because any refund has to go back to original purchaser. No mention of having to show up in Anaheim in person for either set of tix. Phone call 30 minutes long, after hold of 5 minutes.
Called Cx Travel back, after multiple menus to get to Cruise dept, I hold 20 minutes and get disconnected. Next call, after waiting another 15 minutes, a person actually answers. I explain, rep is nice, says please hold while I call DLR. She comes back 10 minutes later saying the hold time is so long and they will be closing so she'll need to call Monday.
I have emailed UCT again to see what they say, but I'm sure they'll reiterate the "nothing they can do" which they already told me.
So after 1 1/2 hours on phone, I have no resolution and little hope for one at this point. Plus now the rep will be calling me back on Monday while I'm at work, which is uncomfortable at best (I don't have a desk job, so always have to try to step away and find a place to talk). Ugh.
Not DLR related but did your London Spring Break work-out?

I'm so irritated with SW. I purposely booked a spring break trip out of Reagan (90 minutes away) to Fort Myers to get a nonstop. The nonstop no longer exists and they reassigned us to a flight connecting in Midway. And they will only honor the fare for flights out of DCA, IAD, or BWI. BWI is a hike but is the only option with nonstops. Tickets out of Richmond are now about 70,000 rr points (I think I booked for about 20,000 points).

I'm trying to get the answer out of AA, but does anyone know, a trip credit from AA, do I have to fly by the exp date or book buy the exp date? I'm trying to plan my summer trip to NC, but we get out later this year, and getting there before 6/25 is proving to be a challenge. UGH.

The only dates/cost that works has me staying over on a Saturday night. Well the points for the Sat night is like triple the other nights. So it kinda negates the 4th night free perk IHG gives.

Also do you know how the AA cancellations work? I know cancelling on points is easy. But if I cancel a "bought" ticket, and it's not basic economy, do I get a credit? AA twitter is taking FOREVER to respond.

Add me to the IHG fans. I'd say for me, IHG - Hilton - Marriott. I have 5 FNC w/ Marriott and no idea when/how I'll use them. I have a friends/family hook up now w/ Hilton, so I find I'm staying with them the most. But I love IHG since the 4th night is free!
I am no AA expert, never flown them before, until now. I am sitting in Phoenix right now, flown here with my AA credit I was told I had to use it by the expiration date.

I'm so irritated with SW. I purposely booked a spring break trip out of Reagan (90 minutes away) to Fort Myers to get a nonstop. The nonstop no longer exists and they reassigned us to a flight connecting in Midway. And they will only honor the fare for flights out of DCA, IAD, or BWI. BWI is a hike but is the only option with nonstops. Tickets out of Richmond are now about 70,000 rr points (I think I booked for about 20,000 points).
Have you tried calling to see if they’ll let you take the Richmond flight? I know others have had success with the reps being flexible on situations like this.

I got one Chase card in 2021 the CSP 7/21.

My total credit is just over $70,000. I'd be happy to shift credit around, my Freedom card has a 20,000 limit so plenty of room to move from there!!

I've never called recon. I'm happy to do it and ask them to shift credit. I just don't want to put myself in Shutdown territory.

I feel like I've really messed up this CP round.

I closed my SW plus and then applied again to soon after closing - auto denial 12/21
Applied for SW Bus and denied because within 30 days of the other app 12/21
Applied for SW Bus and approved late 1/22
I agree, you should take a breather here. All of the apps are making Chase think you are thirsty for credit. If you can wait 90 days to reapply, I would. I would make sure your credit is under 50% of your household income, as advised by others, as well as pay down the high balance prior to the next application. Don't go crazy lowering your CLs, as that won't be helpful if your utilization already looks high.

If you really, really have to have this card, I think you should pay down the high balance and call recon w/i 30 days of app. I called once when I didn't get auto-approved, and was in a similar situation as you, where I had applied for credit too frequently in a short amount of time. In my case they did move some CLs around and approve me for the card. I think this is unlikely just because of the number of apps in a short amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter