• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. Long time no post (for me on this thread).
Is there a no-fee product change option on the Amex Green card? I don't think so, but would appreciate the board's wisdom. Here is the background. I have Amex Schwab Plat, Gold, and Green, plus various other Amex and non-Amex cards. The green is my absolute oldest credit card for credit history purposes (mid-1980s). It was a Green Card way back when, then a Gold, then a Plat, all back when you had to graduate like that. A couple years ago I added a Schwab Plat and downgraded the original regular Plat to the Green.

I do not get sufficient value from the Green to justify keeping it, but I would rather not lose the history on my credit report. The next oldest cards are 1989, 1990, and then a big jump to 2005. Knowledge or creative ideas are appreciated. Maybe the 1989 and 1990 cards are enough. They are fee free and not going anywhere.

The green is the lowest of the charge cards. They don't have a no at option.

Question on booking cruises with UR points - we've done lots of Carnival Cruises, so I know all the ins and outs of booking them. We are looking at an NCL cruise this fall and am considering using our UR points to book it.

It's my understanding that you can only pay with URs once, so if I'd want to pay for the whole cruise with URs, I'd have to do it at booking, it that right?

Also, is there any disadvantage with NCL of doing that? If the price drops, do they usually let you apply for the drop in price as either OBC or anything? If paying for everything now would take away some of our options, I'm not sure that's the best way to go.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on booking NCL, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks!

Hi folks. Long time no post (for me on this thread).
Is there a no-fee product change option on the Amex Green card? I don't think so, but would appreciate the board's wisdom. Here is the background. I have Amex Schwab Plat, Gold, and Green, plus various other Amex and non-Amex cards. The green is my absolute oldest credit card for credit history purposes (mid-1980s). It was a Green Card way back when, then a Gold, then a Plat, all back when you had to graduate like that. A couple years ago I added a Schwab Plat and downgraded the original regular Plat to the Green.

I do not get sufficient value from the Green to justify keeping it, but I would rather not lose the history on my credit report. The next oldest cards are 1989, 1990, and then a big jump to 2005. Knowledge or creative ideas are appreciated. Maybe the 1989 and 1990 cards are enough. They are fee free and not going anywhere.
There is no further downgrade from the Green. But if it's not working for you I would go ahead and close it. It will still stay on your reports for the next 10 years, by that time all of your current cards will be 10 years older.

When Southwest changed our flights for June I decided we would most likely have to cancel our quick WDW weekend. None of the airlines had decent flights times to make it worth going down for 2 days.
I listed my 2 nights at Poly dvc as a confirmed rental and told DH if no one rented we would just take the hit and pay for Spirit flights to not waste the dvc points.
3 days later someone rented it. Part sad we aren’t going to be at the Poly for my birthday but part relieved I don’t have to pash cash for 5 airline tickets and deal with all the crowds at WDW.
Now to start planning our Nov. WDW. I don’t think I’m going to be planning any short WDW weekends for awhile. The crazy flight changes make it impossible to get down and back quick.

I need help making a decision on which credit card to get. Here's the situation:

We plan to book our Disney plane tickets as soon as the SW calendar opens up for December, which will be in mid-June. We plan to buy 6 tickets using points and will need approx 137,500 points (if they are about the same as they are right now). We currently have 105,000 points on our CSP credit card to transfer. We do not have any other cards.

Question:
Should we open a SW credit card for 40,000 extra points (for $1,000 spending in 3mo, plus $69 fee) or another CSP for 75,000 extra points (for $4,000 in 3mo, plus $95 fee...I am calculating the bonus based on 40,000 points welcome offer + referral bonus)???

We would get more points with opening a new CSP, but spend less overall with SW. We wouldn't continue to use the SW card after the ticket purchase, honestly. Wondering which would be the best option and cause us not to "waste" any points or spend extra $ in the process. Hope that makes sense!

Okay question about credit cards:

Right now there's a promo on Delta Skymiles Platinum that with a new application and approval you get 90k skymiles points when you spend 3k in the first 3 months. They have a high fee ($250 a year) but also I think give a companion pass a year which is nice since we do plan on traveling at least once a year in the future. I like the draw of the 90k points since we're traveling in December and with that and my Delta points I can probably swing everyone's tickets.

However.

I already have a Delta Skymiles Gold card. Upgrading to Platinum is an option but only give 20k bonus skymiles, so that doesn't seem worth it. I talked to the people doing chat today and they said the 90k is just an introductory offer so what I could do is just apply and get a platinum card that has nothing to do with my Skymiles Gold card. Which seems weird?

Would it be worth it to get that second Amex card? Should I get the platinum and close the gold? Just upgrade the gold? I don't have enough of a mind for this!
I agree with others about the Companion Certificate. We are sitting on 3 right now and having a hard time finding a good redemption. The flight times are typically not ideal and sometimes the price is just as expensive as buying 2 tickets. If you can book pretty far in advance, your chances are definitely better.

I need help making a decision on which credit card to get. Here's the situation:

We plan to book our Disney plane tickets as soon as the SW calendar opens up for December, which will be in mid-June. We plan to buy 6 tickets using points and will need approx 137,500 points (if they are about the same as they are right now). We currently have 105,000 points on our CSP credit card to transfer. We do not have any other cards.

Question:
Should we open a SW credit card for 40,000 extra points (for $1,000 spending in 3mo, plus $69 fee) or another CSP for 75,000 extra points (for $4,000 in 3mo, plus $95 fee...I am calculating the bonus based on 40,000 points welcome offer + referral bonus)???

We would get more points with opening a new CSP, but spend less overall with SW. We wouldn't continue to use the SW card after the ticket purchase, honestly. Wondering which would be the best option and cause us not to "waste" any points or spend extra $ in the process. Hope that makes sense!
The CSP has an in branch offer, 80,000 URs and annual fee waived the first year, I would go that route.

I don't agree with that. Hyatt has gone to seasons or whatever they called it but it's still a set cost. I don't have to keep checking my booking hoping the points go down like I do Hilton.

Same with Alaska. They have their saver etc awarda but they generally dont change once it's set. Could it, yes but not to the extent SW or DL changes the point cost for a flight.

There are also still other airlines that have a fixed award cost even if they aren't legacy carriers. I don't see anything marriott does as a reason to worry. Neither Hilton or hyatt have started charging the fees marriott does and they could have by now.
yeah im a huge Hyatt fan I cant fly Alaska no routes, but yeah good points. Maybe i should have saw it as I hope hyatt stays this way for years to come :) But if it doesn't im going to complain on here, i think hyatt though being smaller they haven't done that yet. I did have a great time at the park hyatt dc got upgraded to the executive suite beats the king with the side sofa.

I just applied for my mother (with her blessing) for a Amex Marriott Biz. And I got this message:

"To process your application we need some additional information about you, and if applicable, the other business owners of your company. Please call Customer Care at"

Ugh! She will kill me if she has to call, but won't mind if I do. Can I just call? I put 2 in the number of employees box because I was going to get an employee card. Was this a mistake? Anyone ever get this message? What should I expect the call to be like??
Any help or insight is appreciated.

Edit to add: I called. They said they didn't need any information, but that it would take 24 hours to get a decision.
She got an email that she was approved!

Question:

40k for the personal cards is their low offer. Usually, it will go up to 65k multiple times per year. Would you consider business cards as a sole proprietor? The SW Biz cards are still at their normal 80k/60k with slightly higher spending requirements.

If you can get the in-branch CSP offer, I agree its the best one for your circumstances. But, not everyone is able to get that offer, so consider SW Biz as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter