• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had a thought. And it's a stupid thought too, but I figured I'd ask. Can I use my Chase SW card to purchase a day pass at the AA Admiral's Club and that counts against my $75 annual credit? No, right? Because it's only a SW annual travel credit? I'm 99% sure that I cannot and I know that you guys are the experts.

I'm flying to Kauai and I am considering getting the Admiral's Club one-day pass for that long trek over. It's a nice lounge at IAH -- not sure what it looks like in Phoenix on my layover though. Any input would be appreciated.

Any cc's that I could acquire really quickly that would give me the admiral's club for free for a year or something similar?

I just had a thought. And it's a stupid thought too, but I figured I'd ask. Can I use my Chase SW card to purchase a day pass at the AA Admiral's Club and that counts against my $75 annual credit? No, right? Because it's only a SW annual travel credit? I'm 99% sure that I cannot and I know that you guys are the experts.

I'm flying to Kauai and I am considering getting the Admiral's Club one-day pass for that long trek over. It's a nice lounge at IAH -- not sure what it looks like in Phoenix on my layover though. Any input would be appreciated.

Any cc's that I could acquire really quickly that would give me the admiral's club for free for a year or something similar?

It won't count since it's not a general travel credit. I would double check that you'd get access at both airports before you buy it. Not sure that all day passes are really day passes in that it's only good at the lounge you buy it at. It varies by airline.

You are correct the $75 annual credit is for SW purchases only

I have a 2 part question.
1. Can you use AA Admirals Club without a boarding pass ? (I have a free pass I won)
2. Anyone familiar with SNA know proximity of AA Admirals Club to SW gates?

I have a 2 part question.
1. Can you use AA Admirals Club without a boarding pass ? (I have a free pass I won)
2. Anyone familiar with SNA know proximity of AA Admirals Club to SW gates?

I just looked at the T's and C's and you must show an American or JetBlue boarding pass with the admiral's club pass - I bolded the language you're looking for below:

One-Day Pass
Experience the Admirals Club for the first time or come back and visit with a One-Day Pass.
Available for purchase online and at select locations for $59.
Domestic and international Admirals Club locations (based on lounge capacity).
Excludes clubs that are currently closed. Learn more
One-Day Passes are not currently accepted in Charlotte (CLT) due to construction.
Features inside the club include:
  • Comfortable chairs to relax
  • Chef-inspired food and drinks
  • Wi-Fi and power ports
  • Personal travel assistance
  • Shower suites (select locations)
Important Information
One-Day Passes may be activated by entering an Admirals Club within 12 months of purchase. Once activated, the pass may be used for 24 hours.

One-Day Pass holder must show a boarding pass for same-day travel on any departing or arriving flight that is marketed or operated by American; marketed and operated by any oneworld® airline; or marketed and operated by JetBlue Airways (excluding JetBlue Airways flights operating to and from Europe).

One-Day Passes purchased online are currently non-transferable and must contain the name of the guest intending to use the pass for entry into the Admirals Club.

Up to 3 children under 18 are included with each purchase (children must be accompanied by an adult).

Admirals Club terms and conditions

I just looked at the T's and C's and you must show an American or JetBlue boarding pass with the admiral's club pass - I bolded the language you're looking for below:

One-Day Pass
Experience the Admirals Club for the first time or come back and visit with a One-Day Pass.
Available for purchase online and at select locations for $59.
Domestic and international Admirals Club locations (based on lounge capacity).
Excludes clubs that are currently closed. Learn more
One-Day Passes are not currently accepted in Charlotte (CLT) due to construction.
Features inside the club include:
  • Comfortable chairs to relax
  • Chef-inspired food and drinks
  • Wi-Fi and power ports
  • Personal travel assistance
  • Shower suites (select locations)
Important Information
One-Day Passes may be activated by entering an Admirals Club within 12 months of purchase. Once activated, the pass may be used for 24 hours.

One-Day Pass holder must show a boarding pass for same-day travel on any departing or arriving flight that is marketed or operated by American; marketed and operated by any oneworld® airline; or marketed and operated by JetBlue Airways (excluding JetBlue Airways flights operating to and from Europe).

One-Day Passes purchased online are currently non-transferable and must contain the name of the guest intending to use the pass for entry into the Admirals Club.

Up to 3 children under 18 are included with each purchase (children must be accompanied by an adult).

Admirals Club terms and conditions
Thanks. I thought that's what I saw before but couldn't find it in the app. Sadly my free pass will expire before I can use it.

This might be a simple question, but for the life of me I cannot find the answer anywhere on United or Chase.

I have the Chase United card, I bought our tickets on the United site with said card, and my United miles # is on the account. I know I get a free bag (and DH since I bought the tickets at the same time. But how do I redeem this perk? Do I buy a bag in advance and it gets refunded on the card? Do I need a link or voucher? Do I just show up at the desk and give them my bags? Nothing on my email confirmation says I have a free bag, but I do see the image below when I go to United. What is confusing me is that below that message it has the buy luggage option.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-165613~2.png
    Screenshot_20220412-165613~2.png
    175.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20220412-165457~2.png
    Screenshot_20220412-165457~2.png
    164.8 KB · Views: 7
I have an offer to buy IHG points at a 100% bonus. Is this ever a good idea?

I always max out this offer when it becomes available. And sometimes when I exceed my annual limit, one can bypass that by having points gifted to them.
Here's why I love IHG. I'm a big fan of the Kimpton brand, which is available on points, and if you have the right card, you get stay 3 nights, get the fourth free, which beats all other programs.

For an upcoming caribbean stay, a standard room was selling for $6,400 with taxes and fees for a four night stay :oops: , which is just obscenely crazy. Instead, one could buy points for just $1,050 utilizing the purchase point bonus and the fourth night free.

ive used it twice codes as 3x from CSR
Awesome, thanks!
I've considered Turo but was scared by not knowing how insurance would treat it. And I'm not sure if the CSR covers it
I was planning to buy one of their plans as I suspect CC wouldn't cover.
CSR does not cover it I have full insurance I contacted them (my insurance company) they said we were covered YMMV.
That's what i figured. I was going to contact my insurance company, too, to figure out the insurance I need to add (or if I need to add anything).
I used the $30 off $150 amex offer last month. It coded 1x for me, but the $30 off was worth it.
I just found the offer on our cards, too. I suspect it will be worth it for us, too.

This might be a simple question, but for the life of me I cannot find the answer anywhere on United or Chase.

I have the Chase United card, I bought our tickets on the United site with said card, and my United miles # is on the account. I know I get a free bag (and DH since I bought the tickets at the same time. But how do I redeem this perk? Do I buy a bag in advance and it gets refunded on the card? Do I need a link or voucher? Do I just show up at the desk and give them my bags? Nothing on my email confirmation says I have a free bag, but I do see the image below when I go to United. What is confusing me is that below that message it has the buy luggage option.
The free bag(s) will be automatic when you check in for your flight. So, for example, you will enter one bag to be checked for yourself, and it should show zero dollars owed for that checked bag versus requiring payment.

We are heading to DC for a few nights the week after Easter - Wednesday to Saturday. We (DH and I plus DD14, DS13 and DS10) are driving from MA and staying at the Grand Hyatt.
We are going to the zoo on the Thursday, but other than that no concrete plans. Will obviously go to monuments and museums. Just trying to figure out a plan. And of course we'll need to eat! I believe there are a few on this board in the DC area.
Any tips/suggestions, must dos would be much appreciated.

I'm a bit behind the game - just catching up on this forum, but hopefully some of this will be helpful.

The museums are great - and definitely try to see monuments both during day and at night, if possible. The International Spy Museum might be great for the kids - they seem like the right ages to really enjoy that. And, it doesn't get as much traffic as the other areas on the Mall, but I loved the Botanical Gardens that are just southwest of the Capitol.

I highly recommend using the metro to get around town and not dealing with DC traffic as much as possible. You are right by MetroCenter - so have easy access to all the lines.

Dining Recommendations:
  • Jaleo and/or Zaytinya by Jose Andres - both are walkable from your hotel and are fabulous. Jaleo is Spansh tapas while Zaytinya is Mediterranean mezze (essentially tapas) - ham croquettes are my favorite thing on any Jose Andres menu, but I've literally never had a bad dish at any of his places.
  • Ambar - I recommend the Eastern Market outpost, but they also have one in Clarendon. A good happy hour which is nice - but with a group I highly recommend the all you can eat dinner. I've had great success starting off with a dish or two we definitely want to try (drunken mussels!) and then letting the wait staff bring whatever they think is best.
  • Mari Vanna - Farragut North - Amazing Russian-style dumplings. I've never been able to figure out whether I like the pelmeni or vareniki best. Plus house infused vodkas for the adults.
  • Old Ebbit Grill - Easily walkable from your hotel and right next to the White House. I personally think it's a bit of a tourist trap, but my mom and dad loved it and used to go every time they came to visit me when I was living in DC. It's got a ton of history - it was supposedly Teddy Roosevelt's favorite bar back in the day - probably worth a visit.
  • Filomena's - Georgetown - Another typical tourist trap - and yet every time someone came to DC and wanted to go I was all about it. Definitely need reservations here and it can be a bit pricey - but I love this place for reasons I can't quite explain. Plus Georgetown is a great area to spend half a day.
  • Dupont Circle - Also worth spending an afternoon/evening - I recommend Pizza Paradiso for dinner and Un Je Ne Sais Quois for pastries/afternoon snacks. Plus Kramers and Second Story Books were some of my favorite places to browse.

I'm a bit behind the game - just catching up on this forum, but hopefully some of this will be helpful.

The museums are great - and definitely try to see monuments both during day and at night, if possible. The International Spy Museum might be great for the kids - they seem like the right ages to really enjoy that. And, it doesn't get as much traffic as the other areas on the Mall, but I loved the Botanical Gardens that are just southwest of the Capitol.

I highly recommend using the metro to get around town and not dealing with DC traffic as much as possible. You are right by MetroCenter - so have easy access to all the lines.

Dining Recommendations:
  • Jaleo and/or Zaytinya by Jose Andres - both are walkable from your hotel and are fabulous. Jaleo is Spansh tapas while Zaytinya is Mediterranean mezze (essentially tapas) - ham croquettes are my favorite thing on any Jose Andres menu, but I've literally never had a bad dish at any of his places.
  • Ambar - I recommend the Eastern Market outpost, but they also have one in Clarendon. A good happy hour which is nice - but with a group I highly recommend the all you can eat dinner. I've had great success starting off with a dish or two we definitely want to try (drunken mussels!) and then letting the wait staff bring whatever they think is best.
  • Mari Vanna - Farragut North - Amazing Russian-style dumplings. I've never been able to figure out whether I like the pelmeni or vareniki best. Plus house infused vodkas for the adults.
  • Old Ebbit Grill - Easily walkable from your hotel and right next to the White House. I personally think it's a bit of a tourist trap, but my mom and dad loved it and used to go every time they came to visit me when I was living in DC. It's got a ton of history - it was supposedly Teddy Roosevelt's favorite bar back in the day - probably worth a visit.
  • Filomena's - Georgetown - Another typical tourist trap - and yet every time someone came to DC and wanted to go I was all about it. Definitely need reservations here and it can be a bit pricey - but I love this place for reasons I can't quite explain. Plus Georgetown is a great area to spend half a day.
  • Dupont Circle - Also worth spending an afternoon/evening - I recommend Pizza Paradiso for dinner and Un Je Ne Sais Quois for pastries/afternoon snacks. Plus Kramers and Second Story Books were some of my favorite places to browse.
Awesome! Thank you so much. These are great suggestions. Spy museum is definitely going on the list! I so appreciate this!

The free bag(s) will be automatic when you check in for your flight. So, for example, you will enter one bag to be checked for yourself, and it should show zero dollars owed for that checked bag versus requiring payment.
Thank you so much for the info. I have only flown SW the past few years and was worried about the bag fees 🤪

Hello!
I have an old C1 card ( 20+ years) that I just received an upgrade offer for. I think I know the answer to this, but I just wanted to check - If I upgrade to Venture One this will not affect my X/24 status, correct? because it is the same card? will it still show as that 20 year credit history?

I already have the Venture X, so I am not concerned about not being eligible for the Venture One SUB - I will be gaining the ability to earn rewards points for this card.
thank you so much for your wisdom.

I mentioned over the weekend DD got instant approval for the Cap One Venture, 60k offer, to take a trip with her friends. Card is not estimated to be delivered until a week from Saturday, the 23rd. they are flying into to one city and out of another. The flight to Seattle was $99 over the weekend when she applied for the card, $119 on Monday, and today is now $649!!??!! That's an insane jump, and may kill the trip. Just venting :-(

You are welcome. Note that depending on which card you have, you might have to enter DH's bag as a second one for you to have it show up with $0 owed.
I have the Explorer, which I believe it is one for me and one for a companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter