• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if I should get a garage fridge tomorrow. If I did that I'd be more inclined to get my current fridge repaired (because if it broke again I would have a back up while waiting to replace it). I'm just really struggling with figuring out how to function without a fridge for a week. DD says I'm being dramatic.

I did this and its been great to have a back-up whenever the kitchen refrigerator acts up. The good part of the spare is I was just looking for basic and took whatever they had in stock.

Have a couple Amex Offers for Marriott on my cards this morning - $50 off $250 at any Marriott property and $100 off $500 at Marriott Luxury Brands (RC, JW, W, St.R etc). Both offers expire 6/30.

Not sure how likely I am to use these offers before the end of June, certainly not the 'luxury' one, but hopefully some of you with existing plans can save a few $$$

I did this and its been great to have a back-up whenever the kitchen refrigerator acts up. The good part of the spare is I was just looking for basic and took whatever they had in stock.
Best Buy had a nice GE with very good reviews in stock open-box excellent for $710 (was $1,080). I should be able to get it home in my Odyssey.

And my 15-year old Havanese is falling apart. I'm hoping she makes it until dd gets home for the summer (two more weeks). But one of her back legs is giving out on her so she's falling. I'm heartbroken. She has been the best dog ever and we've been through thick and thin. I swear she was the only thing that got me through my divorce.

Have a couple Amex Offers for Marriott on my cards this morning - $50 off $250 at any Marriott property and $100 off $500 at Marriott Luxury Brands (RC, JW, W, St.R etc). Both offers expire 6/30.

Not sure how likely I am to use these offers before the end of June, certainly not the 'luxury' one, but hopefully some of you with existing plans can save a few $$$

I also had a spend $40 at Walmart.com and get $10 back - can use 2 times. Had this on both of our Plat cards.

I'm trying to cancel a flight on SW next weekend and the website won't let me. Says I have to call. Not in the mood to call. Anybody know why this might be happening?

Correct me if I'm wrong please....I thought one of the newer benefits of holding a SWA cc was free points transfer to another account.....did I imagine that? I'd like to combine some. but not with the fee..... help? Oh,another SWA car rental question...if my P2 was an Au on my cc, would that qualify him as a cardholder (for the better rates/transfer etc)

Last edited:

Correct me if I'm wrong please....I thought one of the newer benefits of holding a SWA cc was free points transfer to another account.....did I imagine that? I'd like to combine some. but not with the fee..... help? Oh,another SWA car rental question...if my P2 was an Au on my cc, would that qualify him as a cardholder (for the better rates/transfer etc)
I think it's just the business cards that get the $500 credit for transfers.

Not all SW cards have the same benefits. I believe it's one of the business cards. Look up the benefits of the card(s) you have (or want) to double check.

WWYD...... ok- I'm just playing around with some of my numbers at the moment and I'd love some advice. in the most basic scenario- would you rather
1) use approx. 38k UR for a car rental (I only have about 160k total,and I value these most for flexible use)
2) use approx 95k SWA points for same rental (I'd still have a small stash left for use,plus a CP for the next couple of years if I did this) but I honestly truly don't like SWA right now. Yes, those points can get me places, but not simply,and they only go about 1/3 as far as they used to..... (ex. my flight will cost me 50k) but I'm kind of sorry I got the CP,and not sure how I plan to use it all at the moment. (just my thoughts on those)
Probably neither of those isconsidered 'best use' of points, but I'm only interested in getting some travel in for free/cheap right now. thanks for any input on this! (fwiw, I can't qualify for another UR bonus for awhile,so I'm careful with how I use those)

WWYD...... ok- I'm just playing around with some of my numbers at the moment and I'd love some advice. in the most basic scenario- would you rather
1) use approx. 38k UR for a car rental (I only have about 160k total,and I value these most for flexible use)
2) use approx 95k SWA points for same rental (I'd still have a small stash left for use,plus a CP for the next couple of years if I did this) but I honestly truly don't like SWA right now. Yes, those points can get me places, but not simply,and they only go about 1/3 as far as they used to..... (ex. my flight will cost me 50k) but I'm kind of sorry I got the CP,and not sure how I plan to use it all at the moment. (just my thoughts on those)
Probably neither of those isconsidered 'best use' of points, but I'm only interested in getting some travel in for free/cheap right now. thanks for any input on this! (fwiw, I can't qualify for another UR bonus for awhile,so I'm careful with how I use those)

If it were me....and those were the only two options - then I'm spending the 38k URs.

I'm not particularly happy with SW right now either - but 95k pts and a CP can take you a lot of places - and I am optimistic that SW will gradually improve routes again over the next few years.

Steps:
For TSA precheck: application, schedule appt, pay at appointment
For GlobalEntry: application/pay online, schedule appt or complete upon re-entry into U.S.

I am a big fan of GlobalEntry and it includes TSAPrecheck. But, appointments can be hard to come by.

I looked into this yesterday and in my state (NC) the only location is CLT (3 hours from me) and the website just says "no appointments available". Other locations (that I checked just for fun) were into December, others May, but literally nothing in my state at this time. I'd prefer to do GE than TSA precheck, but I'm presuming you don't get either until the appointment is completed, so not sure what we'll do.

An update on my Chase points situation. I called Chase Rewards again on Wednesday because the points that I was promised last week never appeared. This time I got a wonderful agent by the name of Tonni (shout out to Tonni), who said it seemed that the supervisor last week never submitted the request for points. Tonni felt terribly for all that I have been put through and said that she would expedite a request for 5,000 points. I checked my account this morning and the points were in my account. I promptly transferred them to my CSR. I am not going to follow-up with the hotel for the credit for breakfast since they already refunded 150 euros to my account for the issues that I encountered and that is more than sufficient to cover the cost of breakfast. If they credit the breakfast great, if not, I am fine as well. I will definitely stay at the property again since the price is unbeatable for the location, the rooms are perfect for me and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

I was going through dh's AA account and noticed that he had 4 System Wide Upgrades (SWUs) that are expiring in July. I didn't know what they were so I did some research and learned that they are very valuable. Not wanting to waste them I set to work making sure that I use all of them. First I booked a flight from Toronto to Frankfurt in November. From Frankfurt I will fly to Budapest (using Aeroplan points) for 5 days (I was able to get the Ritz Carlton Budapest for a steal of a rate of 300 euros with my AAA card, regular price over 400 euros), then take the train to Vienna, where I will meet ds for our Christmas Market tour. Today I booked a trip from Toronto to Milan in early March. I will stay in Milan 4 nights, then take the train to Florence (5 nights booked at the Il Tornabuoni at a rate of 21,000 pts / night versus over 600 euros), then train to Rome. When AA opens their schedule for mid-March I will book the return leg. Last SWU will be used to fly Toronto to Amsterdam in early April, 2023. Dh is on track to earn another 2 SWUs by the end of the summer (he's halfway there already). I will use these instead of points whenever I can. They were super easy to use -- once I found the availability for a confirmed upgrade I called AA and the agents upgraded me immediately and booked my seats. Wish I had known what these were before -- I bet that several never got used.

I looked into this yesterday and in my state (NC) the only location is CLT (3 hours from me) and the website just says "no appointments available". Other locations (that I checked just for fun) were into December, others May, but literally nothing in my state at this time. I'd prefer to do GE than TSA precheck, but I'm presuming you don't get either until the appointment is completed, so not sure what we'll do.
We’re in NC as well and RDU does walk up appointments daily. I didn’t realize my now 14yo wouldn’t be able to use my GE /precheck with me any longer and I preferred not to have to wait on her through the separate security line. I bought her precheck online on Tuesday night, arrived at RDU on Wednesday at 3:45p to do walk in appointment prior to our 5:50pm flight. They were closed until 4pm but we were the 3rd person in line so we were on our way to security by 4:15pm. TSA texted me Thursday that they had received her application and I received a notice Friday that she was approved with her known flyer number. I added it to her flight and precheck was on her boarding pass for our flight home Sunday. I realize YMMV but it was super easy painless process. I would have preferred GE but couldn’t get to CLT so I went with precheck and used my Amex Plat. It gave me the credit so all in all it worked out well for us.

I would say don’t be deterred from trying a walk in appointment if you’re close enough to RDU or the other Raleigh location.

Best Buy had a nice GE with very good reviews in stock open-box excellent for $710 (was $1,080). I should be able to get it home in my Odyssey.

And my 15-year old Havanese is falling apart. I'm hoping she makes it until dd gets home for the summer (two more weeks). But one of her back legs is giving out on her so she's falling. I'm heartbroken. She has been the best dog ever and we've been through thick and thin. I swear she was the only thing that got me through my divorce.
My Yorkie was sick the last few days but when I got home (from Disney) earlier he was all excited and happy, took his walk out back and ate some food. DD had texted me he hadn't eaten in several days.

He will be 13 this year. Will be keeping an eye on him as I have noticed decline. Vet says he's doing fine for his age. I guess I'm doing fine for my age also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter