I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the $300 credit can only be applied towards bookings made on Capital One’s travel portal. If the UOR tickets are purchased from their portal, then the credit should apply. But if purchased separately, then the credit will not apply. Do they sell UOR tickets on the portal? That would be great if so.

You can use your SUB to erase the charge but not the $300 bonus. That is only for purchases through their portal.

Ok, so I think I have a new plan. Rebook our HRH stay through the Cap One portal (it's actually $8 less than what we have booked through Universal). The $300 travel credit would then be applied, correct? We would get 10x the points for the stay, and that would get us very close to reaching the MSR. If we reach finish the MSR and get the 100k mile SUB in the same statement, we could use the miles to erase a large part of the hotel charge, is that correct? We currently have 12,400 miles (worth $124) in rewards, does it matter if we go ahead and use those to knock $124 off the price now? Sorry for some many questions, I feel so lost with Cap One and want to make sure I maximize the miles. If we don't use the $300 travel credit for this hotel, I'm not sure when we'll be able to use it. Thank you!

Just a fun share... newest mouseketeer arrived Aprl 7th. It's a girl! We didn't find out ahead of time. About everyone thought boy based on how I carried, morning sickness, etc. The only thing that fit was lots of heartburn meaning lots of hair! Got a ways to grow into that hat.

View attachment 664861

View attachment 664857
Congratulations! What a sweet baby :love:

No worries it is on the list also :) We’ll just be in the area sooner to visit USF.
I'm a UCF alumn, so obviously biased, but I'd definitely vote UCF 😍

I've lived in both areas and just thought the Orlando area was so beautiful. Downtown area has a central park surrounded by skyscrapers, that was one of my favorite places. It's called Lake Eola, go take a look if you can. Lots of cool sculptures there, some monuments, and swans!

Plus, UCF students get discounted tickets to UO and WDW!

Just a fun share... newest mouseketeer arrived Aprl 7th. It's a girl! We didn't find out ahead of time. About everyone thought boy based on how I carried, morning sickness, etc. The only thing that fit was lots of heartburn meaning lots of hair! Got a ways to grow into that hat.

View attachment 664861

View attachment 664857
Congratulations on your little blessing. So cute!

Ok, so I think I have a new plan. Rebook our HRH stay through the Cap One portal (it's actually $8 less than what we have booked through Universal). The $300 travel credit would then be applied, correct? We would get 10x the points for the stay, and that would get us very close to reaching the MSR. If we reach finish the MSR and get the 100k mile SUB in the same statement, we could use the miles to erase a large part of the hotel charge, is that correct? We currently have 12,400 miles (worth $124) in rewards, does it matter if we go ahead and use those to knock $124 off the price now? Sorry for some many questions, I feel so lost with Cap One and want to make sure I maximize the miles. If we don't use the $300 travel credit for this hotel, I'm not sure when we'll be able to use it. Thank you!
Sounds like a perfect plan to use the $300. You have 90 days to erase travel charges so you’ll have time to erase the charge ( although you’d have paid the bill).

Gap insurance?
Gap is best with a smaller down payment, it only covers the difference between what you owe on your loan amount and the insurance payout/ current value of the vehicle. You would lose any downpayment money unless you had a unique plan like mentioned earlier. I'm interested in how new car replacement works if you're determined at fault or % at fault, I've never heard of it and it looks like only one or two of the big companies offer it..

If this is a new car be thoughtful paying it off upfront. If someone hits and totals it the second you drive off the lot you're out whatever value was lost the when it became "used".
I am not sure I am following. Are you suggesting not to pay off a car upfront in case you decide you want to default on the loan if the vehicle becomes totaled?

I am not sure I am following. Are you suggesting not to pay off a car upfront in case you decide you want to default on the loan if the vehicle becomes totaled?

I don't think that's what they were saying, rather to put a smaller down payment in case of accident? I'm starting to get what they are referring to but I've always slapped a big amount down on most of my cars and then paid them off very quickly.

Another twist is just recently cars have been appraising higher than what they cost.

I am not sure where you got defaulting. Say you buy a 40k car in cash, you drive it off the lot and now that car is work 30k. It gets hit and totaled, insurance would give you 30k, so now you lost 10k. If you paid 5k in cash and 35k in a loan and it was totaled insurance would pay 30k and gap would pay 5k so you lost 5k.

It's way more funky now with used car values and also it's personal preference/ depends on your interest rate to decide if that matters to you. You could go forever with no accidents and it doesn't matter or a college student could run a stop sign and total your 3 week old 22' and you're out your down payment :(

i couldn't even find how to find AA flights!
and BA doesn't seem to go anywhere in Europe without stopping in London with the high fees
I’ve been able to find flights. I was looking at flights home from CDG since I was trying to save my AA miles for Japan.
I found the exact flights that were on AA for 22.5K miles + $87, on BA it was about 33K Miles + $200ish. It was CDG --> DFW-->TUL on AA metal.

I am not sure where you got defaulting. Say you buy a 40k car in cash, you drive it off the lot and now that car is work 30k. It gets hit and totaled, insurance would give you 30k, so now you lost 10k. If you paid 5k in cash and 35k in a loan and it was totaled insurance would pay 30k and gap would pay 5k so you lost 5k.
GAP insurance costs money, too. All insurance and extended warranties have a negative expected return; you will pay more for the coverage than you receive in benefit, with rare exception. Is it worth the price of GAP insurance to cover the unlikely scenario that you'll total a brand new car in the first year? Totaling a care means doing more damage than it's worth, which is incredibly unlikely on a new car.

GAP insurance costs money, too. All insurance and extended warranties have a negative expected return; you will pay more for the coverage than you receive in benefit, with rare exception. Is it worth the price of GAP insurance to cover the unlikely scenario that you'll total a brand new car in the first year? Totaling a care means doing more damage than it's worth, which is incredibly unlikely on a new car.
Totally true. But I was discussing paying off a car in full vs what happens if you total a car with a loan that's upside-down, I just used the example of a first year accident. 12% of accidents result in a totaled car. 8% of accidents with a car younger than 4 years result in a totaled car. The average annual cost for gap is $20-$40. But I think this has gone quite off topic for this thread

It's way more funky now with used car values and also it's personal preference/ depends on your interest rate to decide if that matters to you. You could go forever with no accidents and it doesn't matter or a college student could run a stop sign and total your 3 week old 22' and you're out your down payment :(
Got it, thanks for clarifying. Even if off topic, I feel like the regulars on this thread are the lifelong learner types, and so it's a good discussion.

Is cheated the system, hopefully it doesn’t backfire. DH and I each have a Hyatt FNC, we are going to use them in San Diego next month, but the Andaz San Diego has a 2 night minimum and they wouldn’t use them together on one reservations. I used the Pay My Way trick, book one night cash and one night FNC, I did that twice and now I need to cancel the cash nights. Fingers crossed it works.
I was able to drop the cash nights via Chat on both reservations and they are linked. hopefully we'll receive my Globalist benefits on DH's reservation.

i couldn't even find how to find AA flights!
and BA doesn't seem to go anywhere in Europe without stopping in London with the high fees

I've been trying to learn how best to use Avios since we have a lot from our canceled summer Japan trip. AA would need to be SAAver award, which you can tell from booking codes T/U/Z (econ, biz, first). You can start by looking on AA for the usual SAAver rates (for example, 12.5k one-way for within the US). Then check if it's the right code. Sometimes Web Specials are the same number of miles, so those wouldn't work.

Last edited:
we have to go back jack shephard GIF
https://giphy.com/gifs/lost-jack-shephard-we-have-to-go-back-BF4npXkyM4ZsA
We came back from our trip to our Aulani on Sat. It was wonderful. I feel like we barely scratched the surface of things to do on Oahu. So our once in a lifetime trip quickly changed to “we’ll do it next time”

We decided we would like to go back either April or June 2024 depending on how our schedules work out.

I started around 20 months out figuring out the cost, what points I needed and how to get them. I probably covered around half the trip cost with points from credit cards and a few days of Aulani with our small dvc contract. The rest was cash I saved over the 20 months plus I rented DVC points for a few nights and covered part of it cashing out MRs to Schwab.

I am completely empty of all points so I am pretty much starting from scratch. On Wed. I need to sit down and see what I have, what to dump and what I can get. DD starts college this fall so once I figure out their payment system I might be able to hit bigger spends on Amex business cards assuming the school takes Amex and the bonus outweighs the fees.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about Hawaii, Hawaiian airlines,etc to make this trip possible!

Anyone else get super stale marketing emails from Chase today? Hubby and I both opened SW cards end of 2021 for the 100k offer, both have hit the full bonus and gotten enough miles to hit CP.

Today, we both got an email saying, "Congrats on spending for the 50,000 miles bonus! You can spend $12k more to get the other 50k"

Ummm, been there, done that, everything credited months ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter