I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try the Undercover tourist trick- bundling a ticket (AMC popcorn) with the car rental? I recently tried it because it was mentioned here and was amazed at how much cheaper the rates were. I thought it would be limited to ORD, but they aren't.
Thank you for posting! My Destin rental was over $800 through Costco, through UT, it is now $225. Just crazy!

Did you try the Undercover tourist trick- bundling a ticket (AMC popcorn) with the car rental? I recently tried it because it was mentioned here and was amazed at how much cheaper the rates were. I thought it would be limited to ORD, but they aren't.
Wow, that is a great trick! I haven't booked it yet, but for a one-way rental I'm looking at, the cost dropped from $1300 thru Costco to $400. Thank you!

I must be the only one this doesn't work for 😥 I tried pricing out my one way rental from BZN-JAC in August (which I currently have reserved for $700 thru Expedia), and even after adding a ticket, it's $1,200 on UT!!!

On my last leg of our weekend trip to SD, had an amazing time even though things started terribly wrong.
Left my purse (fanny pack) on the first flight, which meant no ID and no credit cards (thankfully DD has my CFF). Couldn’t pick up our rental car, had to Uber/Lyft, was able to use Apple Pay for most things which meant I could charge almost everything to DH new CIC. Had planned to use Clear at SAN, but Clear is only at terminal 2 and the terminals don’t connect. Thankfully got there early enough to go through the no-ID process. Was even able to use the Centurion lounge at PHX without Plat and ID.
Stayed at Andaz San Diego using 2 FNC, was upgraded and received globalist free breakfast for 2A2C. Perfect weather to enjoy the rooftop pool and go to the beach. Downtown has a lot of homeless, but I assume that’s all big cities.
It was the perfect weekend getaway.
Andaz was my 5th Hyatt brand, so another FNC, should also be getting my credit card FNC soon. I hope to be able to use those in Paris later this year.

On my last leg of our weekend trip to SD, had an amazing time even though things started terribly wrong.
Left my purse (fanny pack) on the first flight, which meant no ID and no credit cards (thankfully DD has my CFF). Couldn’t pick up our rental car, had to Uber/Lyft, was able to use Apple Pay for most things which meant I could charge almost everything to DH new CIC. Had planned to use Clear at SAN, but Clear is only at terminal 2 and the terminals don’t connect. Thankfully got there early enough to go through the no-ID process. Was even able to use the Centurion lounge at PHX without Plat and ID.
Stayed at Andaz San Diego using 2 FNC, was upgraded and received globalist free breakfast for 2A2C. Perfect weather to enjoy the rooftop pool and go to the beach. Downtown has a lot of homeless, but I assume that’s all big cities.
It was the perfect weekend getaway.
Andaz was my 5th Hyatt brand, so another FNC, should also be getting my credit card FNC soon. I hope to be able to use those in Paris later this year.
Oh, wow. Glad things improved. Did you get your purse back?

24 hours ago DH and I had 460,000 MRs, as of today we are down to 52,000. We transferred points go BA for our Japan trip next summer and to Flying Blue for Paris this winter, AirFrance released J seats (217,500 miles for 4) so we upgraded, we had to add a day to our trip but I’m okay with that.

That's a really good deal on AF. We paid about the same for 3 tickets in J (for 2023) that you did for 4. I'd love to book a trip to Japan but I need to wait until tourism starts there and I see how it's going before I consider it.

Oh, wow. Glad things improved. Did you get your purse back?
It was FedEx home, I had to pay for shipping so it will arrive on Wednesday.
That's a really good deal on AF. We paid about the same for 3 tickets in J (for 2023) that you did for 4. I'd love to book a trip to Japan but I need to wait until tourism starts there and I see how it's going before I consider it.
Today there is an Amex transfer bonus to Flying Blue. Could have saved even more, but I’m not mad. Just happy I didn’t miss out on 4 J seats.

Today there is an Amex transfer bonus to Flying Blue. Could have saved even more, but I’m not mad. Just happy I didn’t miss out on 4 J seats.

I saw that transfer bonus today and thought of you. That's always my fear, that the minute I transfer, a bonus will pop up! But that's a great attitude; it's better to have the four of you in those seats than to have saved a bit.

If anyone hasn't tried SeatSpy, I really, really like their interface if you are looking for direct flights on select airlines, including AirFrance and KLM. It's SOOO much better than some of the other programs, as far as usability. You can see outbound and inbound side by side and you just hover over a date to see details. If you are doing the free trial or the paid version, you'll see business class fares as well. You can also set an alert if you are waiting for seats to open up.

1652664331011.png

Do you know about the Undercover Tourist ticket trick? Buy ANY ticket (a “ticket” for an AMC movie theater fountain drink is like $3) when you rent a car through UCT, and you get up to 50% off the car rental. We saved a TON on our Orlando rental in July that way.
@iujen94 I just regurgitated your hack. Shout out to you for saving a ton of peeps money with this trick this weekend!

I must be the only one this doesn't work for 😥 I tried pricing out my one way rental from BZN-JAC in August (which I currently have reserved for $700 thru Expedia), and even after adding a ticket, it's $1,200 on UT!!!
I'm so glad to hear this. Well not really, but it means I'm in good company since I had a similar experience. Not that extreme but it was definitely not cheaper.

Happy that some people have had great success! But unfortunately it's not guaranteed. Maybe next time for us!

How does this UT trick work? Book a car with a popcorn? I must have totally missed this conversation.

So UT or UCT gives a discount when you bundle a "discount ticket" with a car rental. They sell discount tickets for movie theatre soda and popcorn, reportedly as low as $3. So you basically buy a throw-away ticket to get the discount, if you don't need a real ticket for anything. Once that discount ticket is in your cart, you'll be able to see the WAYYY discounted rental car prices.

I was helping my mom who was helping a friend, and she was very concerned about the popcorn ticket. So it will just go to waste? Will they send it to me in the mail? Sigh.

So UT or UCT gives a discount when you bundle a "discount ticket" with a car rental. They sell discount tickets for movie theatre soda and popcorn, reportedly as low as $3. So you basically buy a throw-away ticket to get the discount, if you don't need a real ticket for anything. Once that discount ticket is in your cart, you'll be able to see the WAYYY discounted rental car prices.

I was helping my mom who was helping a friend, and she was very concerned about the popcorn ticket. So it will just go to waste? Will they send it to me in the mail? Sigh.
I bought a soda ticket (FYI, they email it to you), intending to just delete the email because I never go to the AMC theater. Then lo and behold, my son went to see Dr. Strange at the AMC so it actually got used!

Checking on Chase offers today and they have a Tripadvisor discount good for 'things to do' on Tripadvisor. 20% off up to $23. That would be spend $115 or more get 23 off. Not good on any other travel related category such as hotels or air.

This 'may' work for individual day tickets at Universal. Or maybe there are other places you might want to use it for. I only looked around a tiny bit. But if you have an upcoming trip, YMMV.
It also might work for Kennedy Space Center.

I didn't get deep into it so make your own judgement and let us know if it's any kind of bargain.
I had it on 3 cards.

24 hours ago DH and I had 460,000 MRs, as of today we are down to 52,000. We transferred points go BA for our Japan trip next summer and to Flying Blue for Paris this winter, AirFrance released J seats (217,500 miles for 4) so we upgraded, we had to add a day to our trip but I’m okay with that.
I loved the airfrance lie flat i can't go back now!

1652714081943.png1652714098033.png

same also when it does id imagine flights will open up (right now they are so sparse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter