• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Chase, is there a way to have your own sign on for an auth user card on a biz account, like there is with Amex? P2 CIC 2, will NOT allow me to download, I get an error message everytime. I can download all his other accounts on the same login no problem. I really do not want to manually enter all transactions from a $7500 MSR, into Quicken.

I still can’t believe DS will be 16 next year. This morning I told him give 3 places he wanted to go and I would pick one for his surprise 16th birthday trip. Of course, I will probably need to remind him 10 times before I get anything.

BTW, he is so happy to be back at private school. And I love seeing him in his uniform every day again. His school was terrific with expediting getting him back so quick and his teachers are working with him to get caught up. It was totally right decision despite the sting to my bank account.
I just got back from Greece for my 16 year old’s bday trip this summer. We had the best time! I’m sure wherever you pick will be great

Enterprise car rental has a promotion out that started yesterday - Plus Your Points - where they have several activities for points without renting a car. I'm not seeing it instantly credit but there's a dashboard for tracking. I have the 20 pts for registration so I'll check tomorrow if the rest have shown up.

https://www.plusyourpoints.enterprise.com/

I have 220 points tracked just for reading, watching a video, taking a poll, etc. Supposed to have another 150 for the app install and sign in but it didn't track. (I still have to look into to that, there might be a legit reason.) They're also doing 2x the points for any rental during that period plus some bonuses for reserving the app, weekend rentals, airport, etc. I just rebooked an existing rental through the app since it was a few dollars cheaper and now I should get a bonus on top!

Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in the terms that say reservations have to be made during the promotion, just that it had to be picked up. So I think my existing week rental should work. Dates are Oct 5 - Jan 31 and only rentals that occur after registration will count, so register now!

And Disney related, you get 50 points for reading about their Disney partnerships. They have a lot of pickup/drop-off options at WDW that I didn't realize (they'll pick you up right from MK on a shuttle supposedly)
Were you able to access all of the bonus items when you signed up? The only ones it's showing for me are the registration one and the travel poll.

DH just informed me that he has a LUV voucher from some delayed flights we had last year. And then I looked and I happen to have one that expires today! I completely forgot. I obviously will not be completing travel by the end of the day. Is there a way to extend those? I remember that their used to be a way to do so but I am not sure if that is still true?

ETA: Phew! I actually realized that I already used mine!! That was a close one! Still would love to extend DH's for later next year if that is possible?

DH just informed me that he has a LUV voucher from some delayed flights we had last year. And then I looked and I happen to have one that expires today! I completely forgot. I obviously will not be completing travel by the end of the day. Is there a way to extend those? I remember that their used to be a way to do so but I am not sure if that is still true?

ETA: Phew! I actually realized that I already used mine!! That was a close one! Still would love to extend DH's for later next year if that is possible?
I believe what you can do is book a flight with the voucher, cancel it, and get the credit back as travel funds (that no longer expire).

Continuing my brief synopsis of my trip....

transfers between Abu Dhabi and Al Maha and Al Maha and Dubai were arranged by Al Maha and transport was seamless both directions. Cars were clean, drivers professional and punctual. Have I said how wonderful the staff at Al Maha was? Because they were truly incredibly nice and honestly I wish every hotel in the world had staff like the Al Maha -- they are definitely some of the best hotel staff I have ever encountered.

Transfer to Dubai was wonderful. Conrad Dubai had upgraded me prior to arrival to king suite, but it wasn't ready when I arrived just after 3:00pm, so they upgraded me to a 1 bedroom suite which was HUGE (mind you, this took forever because they kept trying to convince me to wait in the bar until the king suite was ready, but I had plans and did not want to wait for at least an hour, most likely more, for the king suite to be ready). I had a walk-in closet, full living and dining areas, huge bathroom and powder room (which I never used) and a very spacious bedroom. There was no welcome amenity, but when I returned to my room on the first night there was a little tray of sweets of some sort and the second night stuffed dates. I didn't eat any of them, but they looked nice. While the property isn't the newest and shiniest, it is located just outside of the World Trade Centre subway station, which is somewhat central to most things to do (though nothing walkable). My room was nice, but a new mattress wouldn't have hurt as the bed was a bit lumpy. I probably wouldn't stay here again but wouldn't rule it out either. My favorite part of the stay was the executive lounge. The staff on the desk when entering were the nicest and most helpful people. I also enjoyed the afternoon tea 2 of the 3 days and had dinner there on my last night (when my flight out of Dubai was at 11:00pm). The afternoon tea was really nice, the dinner was okay, considering that it didn't technically cost me anything I was happy to have it available. Breakfast in the restaurant was underwhelming but sufficient. They could take a few lessons from the Conrad Abu Dhabi on how to provide a good breakfast ;).

Activities in Dubai, I felt, were somewhat limited. I went up the Burj Khalifa and considered it a huge waste of both time and money. The Dubai Mall was so big that it was overwhelming, but the water fountain show was gorgeous (I saw it twice). I purchased some clothes for my cousin's baby at Marks & Spencer (I the Dubai Mall) and that was it. But interesting to see. I did the XDubai, the world's largest urban zip line. It was AMAZING -- it went over part of the Dubai Marina; it was over way too fast, but it was super fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I did a speed boat tour of the palm, which was a lot of fun, but hot hot hot. The gold souk and spice souks were interesting, though I don't think I'd go back. I don't drink or party, which is why (I think) a lot of people go to Dubai, so maybe I was missing something, but I could not visit Dubai again and be perfectly okay. The subway was extremely efficient and the a/c was powerful; I'd recommend it to anyone over taxis because it takes about the same amount of time to get place to place and it's much less expensive. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (on a value and taste basis) was at a small restaurant in the gold souk, Mama's. A little hole-in-the-wall that served some of the best shawarma I've ever eaten and it cost US$1.60. Where can anyone get a meal for that? Nowhere that I can think of. It was so good that I'd probably venture back to the gold souk just to eat at Mama's.

I met a couple at the RC that had stayed at 3 Hilton properties in Dubai, one in Old Dubai, the Conrad and the brand new Hilton on the Palm. Their favorite was the new Hilton, but I think the location could be problematic for anyone that wants to see some of the sites, because it is somewhat removed from where most things are. However for anyone that is going to party and spend time on the beach it would be ideal. Not sure if I'd choose to stay on the Palm (if I ever went back), but there are those who wouldn't stay anywhere else, so it's a matter of personal preference.

The Conrad is a solid choice for Dubai, but with a plethora of hotels and more springing up, if someone were deciding where to stay I would look at what they want to do and then choose the location accordingly. I can't see myself staying in Dubai again, but would probably give consideration to the Conrad because of the location and executive lounge, should I ever need to spend a night or two there on a layover.

I'll need to go back and read the last week, but my dad passed away Sunday morning. Last week my mom held down the fort while I went to NOLA for school. My sister came in to "give me the weekend off". On Weds he was transferred from the hospital to the SNF. I went to see him on Saturday morning. We chatted a little but he slept for most of it. I left around 1pm. My sister held down the fort the rest of the day. At 1:50 am I got the call he had passed. It sounds like it was peaceful and he decided it was time.

The "good news" is since he gave up his fight so "soon", everything he had was able to remain protected. He was able to leave us what he had managed to put in place for us. I'm honestly shocked at what I will be getting (and my sister isn't happy he split it 70/30).

And to keep this relevant....while sitting at the funeral home, I asked the director if they can take the number for a credit card. He said yes, and while we sat there planning I opened the Amex Gold Biz that I had a "preapproval" email for. Probably not the best option out there, but I thought I'd give it a try since I've been in Amex pop-up hell, and I knew I'd hit the spend immediately. The director laughed as I did it. But FYI, the transaction was declined as apparently it wasn't an "approved use" of the temp number. Luckily they are okay with me paying later today when my card arrives.
@LilSweetPeaPhoto I am so sorry for your loss. You have my deepest sympathies.

Has anyone ever seen any Princess Cruise offers on either Chase or Amex? I have had nearly every cruise line on one or the other, but can't recall Princess. We are getting ready to book one to Alaska next year and was hoping for some kind of offer!

Quoting myself... checked my Amex offers first thing this morning, of course there are new NCL and HAL offers, $300/$350 off $1000. Fingers crossed for a Princess offer soon! Would be awesome if both myself and DH get it!

Continuing my brief synopsis of my trip....

transfers between Abu Dhabi and Al Maha and Al Maha and Dubai were arranged by Al Maha and transport was seamless both directions. Cars were clean, drivers professional and punctual. Have I said how wonderful the staff at Al Maha was? Because they were truly incredibly nice and honestly I wish every hotel in the world had staff like the Al Maha -- they are definitely some of the best hotel staff I have ever encountered.

Transfer to Dubai was wonderful. Conrad Dubai had upgraded me prior to arrival to king suite, but it wasn't ready when I arrived just after 3:00pm, so they upgraded me to a 1 bedroom suite which was HUGE (mind you, this took forever because they kept trying to convince me to wait in the bar until the king suite was ready, but I had plans and did not want to wait for at least an hour, most likely more, for the king suite to be ready). I had a walk-in closet, full living and dining areas, huge bathroom and powder room (which I never used) and a very spacious bedroom. There was no welcome amenity, but when I returned to my room on the first night there was a little tray of sweets of some sort and the second night stuffed dates. I didn't eat any of them, but they looked nice. While the property isn't the newest and shiniest, it is located just outside of the World Trade Centre subway station, which is somewhat central to most things to do (though nothing walkable). My room was nice, but a new mattress wouldn't have hurt as the bed was a bit lumpy. I probably wouldn't stay here again but wouldn't rule it out either. My favorite part of the stay was the executive lounge. The staff on the desk when entering were the nicest and most helpful people. I also enjoyed the afternoon tea 2 of the 3 days and had dinner there on my last night (when my flight out of Dubai was at 11:00pm). The afternoon tea was really nice, the dinner was okay, considering that it didn't technically cost me anything I was happy to have it available. Breakfast in the restaurant was underwhelming but sufficient. They could take a few lessons from the Conrad Abu Dhabi on how to provide a good breakfast ;).

Activities in Dubai, I felt, were somewhat limited. I went up the Burj Khalifa and considered it a huge waste of both time and money. The Dubai Mall was so big that it was overwhelming, but the water fountain show was gorgeous (I saw it twice). I purchased some clothes for my cousin's baby at Marks & Spencer (I the Dubai Mall) and that was it. But interesting to see. I did the XDubai, the world's largest urban zip line. It was AMAZING -- it went over part of the Dubai Marina; it was over way too fast, but it was super fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I did a speed boat tour of the palm, which was a lot of fun, but hot hot hot. The gold souk and spice souks were interesting, though I don't think I'd go back. I don't drink or party, which is why (I think) a lot of people go to Dubai, so maybe I was missing something, but I could not visit Dubai again and be perfectly okay. The subway was extremely efficient and the a/c was powerful; I'd recommend it to anyone over taxis because it takes about the same amount of time to get place to place and it's much less expensive. Probably my favorite meal of the trip (on a value and taste basis) was at a small restaurant in the gold souk, Mama's. A little hole-in-the-wall that served some of the best shawarma I've ever eaten and it cost US$1.60. Where can anyone get a meal for that? Nowhere that I can think of. It was so good that I'd probably venture back to the gold souk just to eat at Mama's.

I met a couple at the RC that had stayed at 3 Hilton properties in Dubai, one in Old Dubai, the Conrad and the brand new Hilton on the Palm. Their favorite was the new Hilton, but I think the location could be problematic for anyone that wants to see some of the sites, because it is somewhat removed from where most things are. However for anyone that is going to party and spend time on the beach it would be ideal. Not sure if I'd choose to stay on the Palm (if I ever went back), but there are those who wouldn't stay anywhere else, so it's a matter of personal preference.

The Conrad is a solid choice for Dubai, but with a plethora of hotels and more springing up, if someone were deciding where to stay I would look at what they want to do and then choose the location accordingly. I can't see myself staying in Dubai again, but would probably give consideration to the Conrad because of the location and executive lounge, should I ever need to spend a night or two there on a layover.
Your trip sounds amazing so far! We avoided staying at the Palms for the November trip because we wanted to be a bit closer. I think I’d love to do the urban zip lining! We are staying at Habtoor Palace using free night certificates. Good to know that the Conrad was a good option as well.

This will be our first time spending any time in Dubai since the last trip we went straight to the Al Maha. I agree that the staff is simply amazing! I know most people recommend only staying a couple of nights. We did 4 last time and are doing 5 this time. Fortunately, I am pretty content to do archery everyday and I am really looking forward to another dinner secluded in the desert dunes. Do they still offer the canvas and paint set in the Bedouins?

I think you just added another item to the bucket list with the Doha portion and seeing the Mosque you described.

Looking forward to to hearing about the rest of the trip! Thank you so much for sharing!

This will be our first time spending any time in Dubai since the last trip we went straight to the Al Maha. I agree that the staff is simply amazing! I know most people recommend only staying a couple of nights. We did 4 last time and are doing 5 this time. Fortunately, I am pretty content to do archery everyday and I am really looking forward to another dinner secluded in the desert dunes. Do they still offer the canvas and paint set in the Bedouins?
The easel is in the room, but what I thought were paints were anti-bacterial wipes. Maybe you have to ask for the paints? I have no drawing skills, so I never asked, but I'm sure if you asked Lorain (at the front desk) she could make paints appear (she was SO wonderful -- a true gem). One thing to note is that you have to book your activities for the following day asap as the early spots fill up quickly (I did archery both days at 9:30am and it was already scorchingly hot by that time). Not sure if you did dune bashing last time you were there, but I HIGHLY recommend it.

I also booked Platinum Heritage to do a sunset hot air balloon ride over the desert. It was really nice, but not something I would do again (mostly because the pickup time was 4:00am, which makes for a very long day!). Platinum Heritage was AMAZING to deal with -- I can see why Al Maha recommends them so highly. I skipped the breakfast that they offer after the balloon ride because the food at Al Maha is SO much better than what they were serving. But I did do a private camel ride (private because I didn't eat the breakfast they prepared, so I went when everyone else was eating), which, to me, was much nicer than the group camel ride at Al Maha.

I was lucky enough to be able to book a flight on Qatar Air first class (on a leased plane from Cathay Pacific) from Dubai to Male. I flew 15 minutes from Dubai to Doha where I had a 3 hour layover. Al Safwa, the first class lounge at Doha, is renowned in the travel blog community. It was the nicest airline lounge that I have been in. Unfortunately I wasn't hungry when I arrived, so I relaxed in a chaise-lounge type of chair for an hour or so. Eventually I went to the restaurant and was fawned over by a lovely waiter. I had the lentil soup and a mezze platter and both were delicious. I was able to board a bus to take me to the plane directly from the lounge. The bus they use for first class passengers is the nicest airline bus I have ever been on and Qatar uses the buses exclusively for first class passengers.

I was the only passenger in first class on the flight, which departed Doha at 3:10am. I knew that I wanted to sleep for as much of the flight as I could, so the flight attendants (I had 3 looking after me, which was excessive) gave me my pajamas and amenity kit before we took off. Before the seat belt sign was turned off they told me that I could change into the pajamas while they made the bed for me. I can say without hesitation that it was the best plane sleep that I've ever had. One of the flight attendants had to wake me for breakfast and I was sound asleep. I wish I could remember what I had for breakfast, alas I cannot, but I do remember being very impressed with the food (they even made me a decaf latte with almond milk)!

Having flown Qatar Air for 3 legs of the trip I agree with anyone that says it is the best airline in the world. The food is delicious, I love the 'dine on demand' concept (ahem, Air Canada) and the staff is universally so incredibly nice. I wish they flew from N. America to Europe because I would position myself pretty much anywhere to catch one of their flights.

Is there any easy way to pay for Amazon Prime with a gift card or do you still have to buy yourself the gift of Prime?

I think so. But thank you for asking, I have two of those I got last year and need to figure out what to do. I just need to cancel before it renews and then apply it correct? I've checked the box so they'll email me 3 days before renewal.

I think so. But thank you for asking, I have two of those I got last year and need to figure out what to do. I just need to cancel before it renews and then apply it correct? I've checked the box so they'll email me 3 days before renewal.
I've always canceled/turned off renewal. Then applied a gift of membership which I've sent myself. For some reason I was thinking there was a more direct way now, but I've probably made that up.

Mine renewed yesterday with no notice. I saw the pending charge on my card. I cancelled as soon as I saw it, then added my gift of Prime. All good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter