• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so excited, we leave in 30 days. I'm so happy you enjoyed it more than WDW, everything I read is that the magic is missing at WDW. Any tips?
Download the DLP app. I did no planning. My daughter scheduled a character breakfast at Plaza Gardens restaurant. Characters come to your table so no more social distancing. Last December my son and I had dinner at King Ludwig’s castle which is a German Bavarian restaurant. Food was reasonably priced and the dollar is strong against the euro. I used to do all the Disney planning but now my adult children do it all! Nice to have roles reversed. Snack choices in the parks are very limited. And counter service is extremely slow. It’s just a different pace there. The parks are right next to each other so easy to hop back and forth.

what amex delta do you have?
and i guess you have amazon also?
My AmEx is a Gold Skymiles.
Yes. I have an Amazon Chase credit card too. (My only Chase brand card currently).

Sorry if I misunderstood the sticky. I thought it said to include only new approvals in the past 2 years.

My AmEx is a Gold Skymiles.
Yes. I have an Amazon Chase credit card too. (My only Chase brand card currently).

Sorry if I misunderstood the sticky. I thought it said to include only new approvals in the past 2 years.
It did but i was curious 🤨 I'm a delta fan. MSP has a great lounge do you fly enough to benefit from the certificate? You also get mqm.

Last edited:
Anyone do any hyatts in Costa Rica?
Trying to book for next year the Andaz looks great wondering if any of you went.

It did but i was curious 🤨 I'm a delta fan. MSP has a great lounge do you fly enough to benefit from the certificate? You also get mqm.
I really don’t fly enough (for now) to get to use the lounge. Maybe when my kids are old enough I might get to fly enough to warrant it.

I'm so excited, we leave in 30 days. I'm so happy you enjoyed it more than WDW, everything I read is that the magic is missing at WDW. Any tips?
Glad @sinnika mentioned your trip report; I loved reading it and seeing your beautiful family. OMG, it's hard to tell you apart from the girls, so good on you! My favorite line of the report so far: "And what does any vacation addict do? You add another day to your trip, you don't make it shorter." lol, classic

You made the right choice to do biz class. What you don't realize is how much money that decision is going to cost you on future trips, 😁 , so be prepared. 🤣

A few tips:
  • Don't forget to frequently check your seats on AF. They often change aircraft and don't notify you.
  • Try to get reservations for Remy's; it's so much fun. We love that they had the original Remy ride and couldn't wait for it to open here.
  • The girls will love watching Jay Swanson's YouTube channel about Paris. It's addictive.
  • We really loved Montmartre; definitely check out his video on that
  • You mentioned Earl of Sandwich on arrival which is a decent option; we also really like Vapiano's pasta and pizza with the fresh basil plants at the table
  • Did you get your Eiffel Tower tickets? The online tickets book up fast.

Anyone do any hyatts in Costa Rica?
Trying to book for next year the Andaz looks great wondering if any of you went.
I really liked the Andaz. The beach isn’t super great, but pools are amazing and it was fun to take the boat and see the animals and play at the other beach. It’s a really pretty resort. We spent half our time in Arenal doing all the activities: zip lining, white water rafting, rappelling, horse back riding, hanging bridges, etc and then the other half just at the resort.

For anyone who flies Southwest out of BWI, there's evidently a restaurant in the concourse that now accepts Priority Pass: https://frequentmiler.com/bwi-airpo...ss-restaurant-good-news-for-southwest-fliers/ This will be nice for getting breakfast before those morning flights 🙂

DH and I both have Priority Pass through Venture X, does anyone know how credits would work at the restaurant if there are five of us eating (me, DH, 3 kids)?

Glad @sinnika mentioned your trip report; I loved reading it and seeing your beautiful family. OMG, it's hard to tell you apart from the girls, so good on you! My favorite line of the report so far: "And what does any vacation addict do? You add another day to your trip, you don't make it shorter." lol, classic

You made the right choice to do biz class. What you don't realize is how much money that decision is going to cost you on future trips, 😁 , so be prepared. 🤣

A few tips:
  • Don't forget to frequently check your seats on AF. They often change aircraft and don't notify you.
  • Try to get reservations for Remy's; it's so much fun. We love that they had the original Remy ride and couldn't wait for it to open here.
  • The girls will love watching Jay Swanson's YouTube channel about Paris. It's addictive.
  • We really loved Montmartre; definitely check out his video on that
  • You mentioned Earl of Sandwich on arrival which is a decent option; we also really like Vapiano's pasta and pizza with the fresh basil plants at the table
  • Did you get your Eiffel Tower tickets? The online tickets book up fast.
AF already changed our aircraft once, hopefully they don’t change it again. I was bummed about the change because it’s an older model plane. The thing I’m most excited about is the new Delta lounge at ORD, I think we’ll be able to use it?
Also, I haven’t flown business class yet and my wallet is already regretting it. Our Japan tickets are business and we paid $1,400 in fees. I was also trying to plan a huge 2024 trip to South Africa in J, but I think I need to give our wallet a break and do something smaller, maybe heading to South America instead.

I’ve been watching Jay Swanson, so much good content. He has such an awesome personality and I love his dog.
We are definitely following his Louvre guide. I feel like I want to see so much, but just don’t have enough time.
And thanks for the lunch recommendation, will have to try that.
I did get our tickets, I tried to time if for an hour before sunset, which is at 5ish. I’m sure it’s going to be cold and windy up there.

Download the DLP app. I did no planning. My daughter scheduled a character breakfast at Plaza Gardens restaurant. Characters come to your table so no more social distancing. Last December my son and I had dinner at King Ludwig’s castle which is a German Bavarian restaurant. Food was reasonably priced and the dollar is strong against the euro. I used to do all the Disney planning but now my adult children do it all! Nice to have roles reversed. Snack choices in the parks are very limited. And counter service is extremely slow. It’s just a different pace there. The parks are right next to each other so easy to hop back and forth.
I’m still on the fence about a character meal. I think it would be like $240 for us to eat there. Were the main 5 characters at breakfast? And I think I have to book that 3 days in advance, I would probably book it for our last morning, I just need to figure out what time the reservations are released.

I'm still pretty new here so forgive me if I'm oversharing here or asking in the wrong place. I'm looking for some advice on a potential new card for my family. Short version of the story -my idea is that it would be mainly to try to eek out some cashback or points for A) theme park tickets (we intend to go 2 of every 3 years or so) and B) DVC annual dues (new members as of April 2020). ...Unless there's just another card better for a variety of other things too or with a generous enough signup bonus to be worth the effort. I have considered buying Disney gift cards with my Target Redcard for the 5% discount but wasn't sure if there was something easier/better.

I have different cards good for the majority of our regular monthly purchases.
  • What amount of spend would you put on a card monthly
    • groceries - $450 on TARGET REDCARD at 5% discount
    • gas+Costco purchases = $450 per month on CITI COSTCO at 4% cashback
    • car insurance = $122 per month but don't think they take credit cards
    • streaming = $75 per month most at 5% cashback category on USB CASH+, unless promotion on AMEX DELTA
    • internet = $75/mth (not sure if they take credit cards)
    • other expenses -
      • $600 fast food and restaurants. Fast food via 5% cashback category on USB Cash+ or restaurants at 4% cashback always on USB Altitude (too much eating out but that's a longer story)
      • $100-200 on Amazon at 5% cashback rewards via CHASE AMAZON.
  • I pay off cards in full.
  • I fly out of MSP
  • Prefer Delta Skymiles
  • SOUTHWEST Airline services my airport but only on a limited basis (not a hub for them)
  • No Hotel Rewards program preference
  • I currently have ~60k miles with Delta.
  • Churning goals: see above
  • I plan WDW trips generally two of every three years.
  • Travel party is wife (middle age like me) and two not-very-adventurous teenagers
  • I get a work bonus every March that represents about 10-20% of my salary (only thing that keeps me from griping about otherwise feeling underpaid for my job).
  • Wife sells Mary Kay on a VERY limited basis so she could maybe qualify for business type credit cards?
10/20 - USBANK Altitude
01/21 - CAP1 Menards Store Card
06/21 - APPLE Apple Mastercard
07/21- TARGET Target Visa
09/21 - SYNCHRONY Warners Stellian Store Card
11/21 - Maurices Store Card
06/22 - USBANK Cash+ Visa

Welcome!

If those store cards show up on your credit report, then you are 7/24 (new accounts within the last 24 months). If you have any authorized user cards or closed cards with an open date within the last 24 months, those will count too. You won't be eligible for any Chase cards until some drop off and you are 4/24. Would recommend not getting any more store cards as there are better bonuses out there.

In the meantime, you can go for non-Chase business cards. Selling Mary Kay can certainly count. You would apply as a sole proprietor with your name as the business name. Amex has 3 versions of business Delta cards. For the Delta Gold biz, I see a support offer of 70k miles for $3000 spend, first year annual fee waived. Recent best is 75k for $4000 spend and $200 statement credit, so you might want to wait a bit and see if that comes back.

For anyone who flies Southwest out of BWI, there's evidently a restaurant in the concourse that now accepts Priority Pass: https://frequentmiler.com/bwi-airpo...ss-restaurant-good-news-for-southwest-fliers/ This will be nice for getting breakfast before those morning flights 🙂

DH and I both have Priority Pass through Venture X, does anyone know how credits would work at the restaurant if there are five of us eating (me, DH, 3 kids)?
Funny that you should mention that! I flew out of BWI back to Houston and I did dine at that restaurant. It was Sunday, October 9 and I saw it on my Priority Pass. However, it didn’t take affect until the following day so I had to pay full price for my meal. Still, I had a nice meal of fish and chips and an ice tea so for airport food, it was pretty good! Next time I go back I want to try their crabcakes. Baltimore is my hometown and I do miss their crabcakes! I’ve used my PP in the past to get $56 off of the bill, which is $28 off of each person when dining with the second person. Not sure how it works when someone has two cards. Please do mention that you have the PP when you enter the restaurant. That was my mistake.

AF already changed our aircraft once, hopefully they don’t change it again. I was bummed about the change because it’s an older model plane. The thing I’m most excited about is the new Delta lounge at ORD, I think we’ll be able to use it?
Also, I haven’t flown business class yet and my wallet is already regretting it. Our Japan tickets are business and we paid $1,400 in fees. I was also trying to plan a huge 2024 trip to South Africa in J, but I think I need to give our wallet a break and do something smaller, maybe heading to South America instead.

I’ve been watching Jay Swanson, so much good content. He has such an awesome personality and I love his dog.
We are definitely following his Louvre guide. I feel like I want to see so much, but just don’t have enough time.
I did get our tickets, I tried to time if for an hour before sunset, which is at 5ish. I’m sure it’s going to be cold and windy up there.

I’m still on the fence about a character meal. I think it would be like $240 for us to eat there. Were the main 5 characters at breakfast? And I think I have to book that 3 days in advance, I would probably book it for our last morning, I just need to figure out what time the reservations are released.
The characters were Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Tigger, Eyore and Pooh. The rabbit from Winnie the Pooh was also there but we didn’t get an opportunity to get our picture with him. We actually didn’t want to wait around. They did spend a lot of time at the table interacting with our 10-month-old grandson. And I noticed the same for other children. Again things are at a slower pace so if you’re on a time schedule, the character breakfast may not be the best choice. Of all the restaurants we ate at, I would definitely rate Remi‘s the highest! That is definitely one not to miss if you can get a reservation.

Attachments

• D5F03EAB-56D3-491B-85EA-2E4FE1C2A9B9.jpeg
    D5F03EAB-56D3-491B-85EA-2E4FE1C2A9B9.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 9
I really liked the Andaz. The beach isn’t super great, but pools are amazing and it was fun to take the boat and see the animals and play at the other beach. It’s a really pretty resort. We spent half our time in Arenal doing all the activities: zip lining, white water rafting, rappelling, horse back riding, hanging bridges, etc and then the other half just at the resort.
thanks, I booked it I trust this thread and i may have obsessively looked at reviews last night too lol. is the shuttle for 59$ the best way to get there? were only going for a few nights I figure this is best.

link to Jay Swanson?
also had this happen I booked the new air France planes got the old ones but for the 70k miles it was a deal so I guess I cant complain too much :)

Last edited:
The characters were Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Tigger, Eyore and Pooh. The rabbit from Winnie the Pooh was also there but we didn’t get an opportunity to get our picture with him. We actually didn’t want to wait around. They did spend a lot of time at the table interacting with our 10-month-old grandson. And I noticed the same for other children. Again things are at a slower pace so if you’re on a time schedule, the character breakfast may not be the best choice. Of all the restaurants we ate at, I would definitely rate Remi‘s the highest! That is definitely one not to miss if you can get a reservation.
That picture is adorable!

Welcome!

If those store cards show up on your credit report, then you are 7/24 (new accounts within the last 24 months). If you have any authorized user cards or closed cards with an open date within the last 24 months, those will count too. You won't be eligible for any Chase cards until some drop off and you are 4/24. Would recommend not getting any more store cards as there are better bonuses out there.

In the meantime, you can go for non-Chase business cards. Selling Mary Kay can certainly count. You would apply as a sole proprietor with your name as the business name. Amex has 3 versions of business Delta cards. For the Delta Gold biz, I see a support offer of 70k miles for $3000 spend, first year annual fee waived. Recent best is 75k for $4000 spend and $200 statement credit, so you might want to wait a bit and see if that comes back.
Wow. Pretty insightful stuff there. Thank you!
Good to know about Chase 4/24 requirements (I saw that referenced in other conversations here and didn’t realize that’s what that meant). One store card was not on my report (only on my wife’s) and one would pass 24 mths in 1-2 weeks. So it seems after the Jan store card drops off I’d be eligible for Chase cards since I’d be 4/24. At this point would it be worth waiting until Jan for a Chase card or just get AmEx business gold now/soon? DVC dues will be due in Dec sometime unless I take their int. free monthly financing. i need to get park tickets at some point. A little nervous about whether I can stall til Jan without having a price increase sprung on us.

thanks, I booked it I trust this thread and i may have obsessively looked at reviews last night too lol. is the shuttle for 59$ the best way to get there? were only going for a few nights I figure this is best.
Looking forward to feedback on this property. I've been eyeing the Andaz and the Secrets all inclusive one for a potential trip sometime down the line.

We are visiting the Berkshires this weekend and staying at the Miraval there. I will be sharing my thoughts on the thread.

Wow. Pretty insightful stuff there. Thank you!
Good to know about Chase 4/24 requirements (I saw that referenced in other conversations here and didn’t realize that’s what that meant). One store card was not on my report (only on my wife’s) and one would pass 24 mths in 1-2 weeks. So it seems after the Jan store card drops off I’d be eligible for Chase cards since I’d be 4/24. At this point would it be worth waiting until Jan for a Chase card or just get AmEx business gold now/soon? DVC dues will be due in Dec sometime unless I take their int. free monthly financing. i need to get park tickets at some point. A little nervous about whether I can stall til Jan without having a price increase sprung on us.
You can get Amex business cards other than Chase right now, if you can get approved. Business cards (except for a few exceptions which report to your credit report) do not add to Chase's 5/24 rule.

But yes, for any future personal cards, stall until January and then June-July when 3 should drop off. Reason - Chase UR cards are one of the most desirable and flexible currencies. Another note - unless Chase gives you a preapproved invitation, they will also not approve business cards until you are under 5/24, so a lot of people will not get a personal card at 4/24 to keep the business card app's open to them.

I maximize offers to pay my DVC dues with gift cards. My dues are set up as a monthly deduction from my checking account, mid month. But, as i collect discounted Disney gift cards, I go in before the monthly amount is collected and pay it down. Usually I get it paid before years end and then start collecting gift cards to start over in January. My dues money comes from various sources but is never lower than a 10% discount since I started doing it this way. I don't even bother with the 5% deals anymore, but certainly would if need be.

Funny that you should mention that! I flew out of BWI back to Houston and I did dine at that restaurant. It was Sunday, October 9 and I saw it on my Priority Pass. However, it didn’t take affect until the following day so I had to pay full price for my meal. Still, I had a nice meal of fish and chips and an ice tea so for airport food, it was pretty good! Next time I go back I want to try their crabcakes. Baltimore is my hometown and I do miss their crabcakes! I’ve used my PP in the past to get $56 off of the bill, which is $28 off of each person when dining with the second person. Not sure how it works when someone has two cards. Please do mention that you have the PP when you enter the restaurant. That was my mistake.
i haven't found good crab cakes at bwi if you find it let me know. nothing beats g&m :)

So cute!
Thanks, I'll try to get a Remy's reservation if I can't get a character breakfast reservation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter