• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Chase Office Depot offers today, 10% up to $11.

Thank you for posting! I have 6 office depot offers and 49 days plus 4 Shop Disney offers. So that's $860 to spend on Disney gift cards to offset my upcoming DVC dues at 11ish%. Worth it to me to save $86 plus get some UR's, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt points and IHG points.

I think a lot of us are going to be in Costa Rica next year and many staying at the Andaz. I think @CyndiLouWho, @reliev, @NewbieMom and maybe @wanderlust7 ? My flights are pretty terrible and I don't think I even have a return booked (though I have a placeholder SW fare in hopes of a free change) and so far I've only booked for 5 nights between the Andaz and Tabacon, so I still have a lot of planning to do if we are actually going to make it there.

I had Christmas booked on points at the Andaz (60 day cancellation policy!). But Japan reopened, so we're going there instead. 😁 I'd like to plan a trip some other time, but haven't figured out when yet.

I must have missed the conversation. Is this a site for finding deals on seats overseas? I’ve been booking directly with UA but I’m sure there are better deals out there. Usually it’s 30,000 points one way in economy from IAH to Frankfurt, Germany.
oh no, Jay Sawnson is an American living in Paris that has lots of great information regarding Paris.

For Air France/KLM deals I'm just always checking the app to see if I can get a better deal on our return flight (currently booked on AA), and I've seen really good deals to from Paris. The awesome thing about the Flying Blue group (AF/KLM) is that both Chase and Amex are transfer partners. When looking at award space for AF/KLM don't use the website, download the apps.

I read on FB some are having luck getting Chase to match the 90k offer on CIC's if you signed up in the last few months. So I sent a SM and we'll see what happens. I just hit the MSR this week for it. son, LOL. I think I can pull off the
p2 is a little over $3k into the $75k spend on the CIC. Is it worth it to SM do you think?

I SM them yesterday on p2 checking account, as 3 of those flash offers for 20% show as redeemed on 9/30 but have yet to be credited. they said he has to call. That's not happening.
New Chase Office Depot offers today, 10% up to $11.
I have this on soooo many cards. But OD is 30 minutes away, and I would fee weird buying like 10 separate cards.

I would love to do a cooking class and I'm sure DH would love the coffee class (he's such a coffee snob he buys green coffee beans and roasts them himself ).
OMG, my husband also thinks he's some type of coffee barista. Does your husband have an Aeropress? It's a little contraption sort of like a french press but apparently better. My husband swears by it. Maybe a good holiday gift and it's super inexpensive.
Adding myself to the list! :) Going over Christmas this year, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'd love to make it to Tabacon also, but there's no availability for the dates I need. I have fond memories of the La Fortuna area, and would love to get back there someday.
Please report back- I'd love to hear all the details.
For Air France/KLM deals I'm just always checking the app to see if I can get a better deal on our return flight (currently booked on AA), and I've seen really good deals to from Paris. The awesome thing about the Flying Blue group (AF/KLM) is that both Chase and Amex are transfer partners. When looking at award space for AF/KLM don't use the website, download the apps.
You might want to sign up for SeatSpy's one month free trial (I think it's a month). They have a super easy snapshot view of a whole year's worth of AirFrance's flights, as long as they are a nonstop route, like ORD-CDG. When I had the membership, I was stalking our dates as well and it helped me see patterns of when biz fares would drop. Sometimes, fares would drop just a few days before the flight and sometimes they would stay high, but at least I knew it was possible.

Any chance you got that great Amex offer for AF? It's spend $1,000 get 20k MR points? It expires soon, like 11/06 for me. I wonder if there's some way to use it on a fare and then bank the voucher or something? I might look into that because I can't let it go to waste; I have it on several players cards.

I must have missed the conversation. Is this a site for finding deals on seats overseas? I’ve been booking directly with UA but I’m sure there are better deals out there. Usually it’s 30,000 points one way in economy from IAH to Frankfurt, Germany.
I think I've mentioned it before, but you should really check out Virgin Red/ Virgin Atlantic. They have fares on KLM or AF metal for 19k + $164, OW, economy. I seem to recall you have a big stash of Capital One points? They're running a transfer bonus of 30% right now, so you could get these flights for under 15k points.

1666280833037.png
1666280950042.png

I love all the Costa Rica talk. It's a trip we've been loosely talking about for years, as in, "hey we should go to Costa Rica!" but honestly other places were farther up on our lists so we haven't made it a priority. Now we are to the point where CR is one of the next two on our lists (that and Japan) and so we are looking to go either next winter 2023 or in winter 2024. I asked a question or two a month or so ago, and I've already been looking into the Hyatt properties, and taking notes on all these posts and researching, researching, researching. So I look forward to incoming reviews when you guys all go!
mines booked for winter 2023 the availability filled up . Last night I was thinking about it they had a 2 bed with an ocean view and I was like I'm going to ask DW this morning they didn't so YMMV but I think this property must be one of the better deals on points for 17k points seems too low for me (over 3 cents pp). I am too hoping for japan for a guy's trip, may have to "settle" for ireland.

I had Christmas booked on points at the Andaz (60 day cancellation policy!). But Japan reopened, so we're going there instead. 😁 I'd like to plan a trip some other time, but haven't figured out when yet.
What?! We could've had a DIS meetup? 😄 j/k I know you've been trying to get a trip to Japan for a long time, glad you are finally making it happen!

60 day cancellation policy, yikes! My reservations at Andaz have a 7 day cancellation policy and even that makes me nervous. Not as nervous, though, as my Alila Ventana Big Sur reservations that have a 14 day cancellation policy, those cash rates are crazy. I have not figured out the best way to guard against that whole Hyatt cancellation policy. If it's booked on points, and Hyatt decides rather opaquely to charge you the cash rate on the days you've planned to be there, how do you even purchase travel insurance for that, kwim?

What?! We could've had a DIS meetup? 😄 j/k I know you've been trying to get a trip to Japan for a long time, glad you are finally making it happen!

60 day cancellation policy, yikes! My reservations at Andaz have a 7 day cancellation policy and even that makes me nervous. Not as nervous, though, as my Alila Ventana Big Sur reservations that have a 14 day cancellation policy, those cash rates are crazy. I have not figured out the best way to guard against that whole Hyatt cancellation policy. If it's booked on points, and Hyatt decides rather opaquely to charge you the cash rate on the days you've planned to be there, how do you even purchase travel insurance for that, kwim?
yeah i wanted to do big sur i have a feeling they are going to go up in category DW wants our kid to go with us all the time though so not in the cards until DD is annoyed with us and wants to stay with uncles or aunts.

That would have been cool!

I had 12/25-12/31 booked. Did they change the policy or maybe the dates are different? The cancellation policy certainly made me nervous! If they charged the cash rate for a cancellation, that seems to me to be similar to a pay at hotel cash rate where you cancel in the penalty phase. I don't know if travel insurance covers that since it's not "prepaid". Not to mention the amount you'd have to insure for would be high.

My back-up plan for Ventana reservations is to get someone else to go. But it's not far for us, so I think I can find someone at the last minute. Costa Rica would be a different story!

yeah i wanted to do big sur i have a feeling they are going to go up in category DW wants our kid to go with us all the time though so not in the cards until DD is annoyed with us and wants to stay with uncles or aunts.

It's already the highest at Category 8. You think they're going to make a new Cat 9 or put it as an all-inclusive?

I have this on soooo many cards. But OD is 30 minutes away, and I would fee weird buying like 10 separate cards.
Don't feel weird, mine is like 20 minutes away and when I go in DH and I both use all the one we have in separate transactions. I just tell them ahead of time, this is all going to be separate transactions. Some look at you weird like "why are you doing this" and some could care less. I don't care what they think. Now my OD never has a line either, if there was a line I might just do a couple and then get back in line, I wouldn't want to hold anyone else up while I stand there and do 10 transactions.

Wow. Pretty insightful stuff there. Thank you!
Good to know about Chase 4/24 requirements (I saw that referenced in other conversations here and didn’t realize that’s what that meant). One store card was not on my report (only on my wife’s) and one would pass 24 mths in 1-2 weeks. So it seems after the Jan store card drops off I’d be eligible for Chase cards since I’d be 4/24. At this point would it be worth waiting until Jan for a Chase card or just get AmEx business gold now/soon? DVC dues will be due in Dec sometime unless I take their int. free monthly financing. i need to get park tickets at some point. A little nervous about whether I can stall til Jan without having a price increase sprung on us.

Once you're 4/24, you can look at the Chase Ink business cards. They earn URs, which are very flexible. When more cards drop off, then you can think about other personal cards to get (possibly Chase Sapphire Preferred and/or Reserve). I like to stay perpetually at 4/24 so I can keep getting Chase business cards.

Like others have said, you can start amassing Disney GC when deals come up for your DVC payments. If you have any Chase cards, there's a shopDisney one for 10% back up to $5. You can go through a portal like Rakuten (currently 11%) or RetailMeNot (10%) for additional cashback. YMMV if it tracks for GC, but usually has for me. So then you'd get 20% off, though it takes more work. That's just one current example. I've also done them through Best Buy, Staples, BJ's, Target, and Walmart. Those you can do online. There are ones where you'd have to go in store like Office Depot, Lowe's, Home Depot. The good offers will usually get mentioned here, or you can go to the GC thread for more details.

I'm not sure why I'm so scared to buy $30k in ibonds at once, LOL. I purchased $1k yesterday for my DD to make sure it went through okay. It did so I did 4 more $1k for her. Then I did $5k for my son. I need to do $5k for me. Tomorrow I'll finish off in $500 increments for my DD, $1k increments for me and my son. I'm doing smaller chunks so if I need to cash in I don't lose interest on everything.

I opened it on 8/11. So we'll see. I'm going to go for the CSR first as I want that one more so and then MDD for the CSP. No love loss if I don't get that one. Plus I'll likely downgrade the CSR to a CSP at some point anyways. We'll see.

I see you can do partial cash out of electronic bonds, so seems like you don't need to do the smaller increments. Link

That would have been cool!

I had 12/25-12/31 booked. Did they change the policy or maybe the dates are different? The cancellation policy certainly made me nervous! If they charged the cash rate for a cancellation, that seems to me to be similar to a pay at hotel cash rate where you cancel in the penalty phase. I don't know if travel insurance covers that since it's not "prepaid". Not to mention the amount you'd have to insure for would be high.

My back-up plan for Ventana reservations is to get someone else to go. But it's not far for us, so I think I can find someone at the last minute. Costa Rica would be a different story!
Based on my observations, it seems that the cancellation policy is dynamic and I speculate it depends on whatever the property is seeing for demand on their back end and how far in advance you're booking. I've seen it anywhere from 7 days (but your dates are the especially high demand dates, ours are a little earlier) to non-refundable for my dates, just depending on when I'm checking (I keep hoping to see a standard suite available for our dates, fat chance though lol).

It's already the highest at Category 8. You think they're going to make a new Cat 9 or put it as an all-inclusive?
Ventana Big Sur became an all-inclusive sometime in 2020. The points were definitely devalued though in March this year. I booked a Big Sur Suite for 48K/nt and now it's 66K/nt. Unfortunately I had no luck finding standard room redemptions there.

Don't feel weird, mine is like 20 minutes away and when I go in DH and I both use all the one we have in separate transactions. I just tell them ahead of time, this is all going to be separate transactions. Some look at you weird like "why are you doing this" and some could care less. I don't care what they think. Now my OD never has a line either, if there was a line I might just do a couple and then get back in line, I wouldn't want to hold anyone else up while I stand there and do 10 transactions.
Do you do 10 when it's the VGC offer is running?

I see you can do partial cash out of electronic bonds, so seems like you don't need to do the smaller increments. Link
Well now I see that. LOL. Oh well. I guess I'll just do lump sums tomorrow then.

I think I've mentioned it before, but you should really check out Virgin Red/ Virgin Atlantic. They have fares on KLM or AF metal for 19k + $164, OW, economy. I seem to recall you have a big stash of Capital One points? They're running a transfer bonus of 30% right now, so you could get these flights for under 15k points.

View attachment 711970
View attachment 711971
Yes, I did have over 500,000 C1 points at one time but have been spending some to erase travel charges from my August and September trips so I’m down to a bit over 400,000. That is a great deal! How easy is it to cancel flights? I’m constantly changing flights for overseas. I know the points can’t be transferred back. Need to learn more about Virgin Atlantic! Thanks for the info! 😊

Based on my observations, it seems that the cancellation policy is dynamic and I speculate it depends on whatever the property is seeing for demand on their back end and how far in advance you're booking. I've seen it anywhere from 7 days (but your dates are the especially high demand dates, ours are a little earlier) to non-refundable for my dates, just depending on when I'm checking (I keep hoping to see a standard suite available for our dates, fat chance though lol).

Ventana Big Sur became an all-inclusive sometime in 2020. The points were definitely devalued though in March this year. I booked a Big Sur Suite for 48K/nt and now it's 66K/nt. Unfortunately I had no luck finding standard room redemptions there.

Super interesting observations! I booked it right when the calendar opened.

You can find standard redemptions at Ventana near the calendar end. But peak is 45k now, so your 48k for suite is a good deal! :) I booked for next year for what will be our 4th visit! I keep saying maybe this year will be the last visit lol. I usually don't like going back to the same hotel since some of the mystery is lost, but we really do enjoy Ventana.

Adding myself to the list! :) Going over Christmas this year, and I'm really looking forward to it. I'd love to make it to Tabacon also, but there's no availability for the dates I need. I have fond memories of the La Fortuna area, and would love to get back there someday.

What car rental company did you use? How long was the drive from LIR and was it easy? We've been to Costa Rica a couple of times and always had a private shuttle service take us around, but looking at the map Guanacaste looks to be pretty straightforward from the LIR airport, so I'm thinking we might actually be able to handle the drive. Is 4WD necessary?
I didn’t thinking driving there was difficult at all. It just takes longer to get everywhere then you might think and you want to watch out for pot holes. Also Waze is better than google maps. We stayed in an air bnb in Arenal that I loved. I think if you google Casa Del Rio you can find it. There is a slide there that my kiddos loved and the whole property is gorgeous. We never needed 4WD but we didn’t go off the beaten track either. I can’t remember what rental car company, but I think maybe Adobe?

I opened it on 8/11. So we'll see. I'm going to go for the CSR first as I want that one more so and then MDD for the CSP. No love loss if I don't get that one. Plus I'll likely downgrade the CSR to a CSP at some point anyways. We'll see.

I opened a CIC in August, as well. Please report back if you are successful and maybe I'll give it a shot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter