I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

How old and what kind of phone? They wanted $226 for an old (S8) Samsung Galaxy a couple (3) years back. Back then I just bought a new phone (S10Plus) and 3 years later got a new S23plus 2 nights ago. The S10+ is in perfect condition due to a change in phone covers. I went to wallet style which so far protects better than the more convenient 'open' style Otterbox that did nothing for my dropped phone.

I'm using the old phone to do a shopping program on wifi. And, for those who can, chat also works over wifi, which I didn't know until it happened.
its an iphone 8,and I really like it a lot.... I can get it repaired locally for $79 which I think I'm going to do....

I LOVED Margutta 19! We stayed there in August. Great location and the staff was very nice and helpful. We had a classic suite room on the top floor and back side of the hotel. It had a lovely large balcony. They left us a welcome platter of fruit and the peaches were the best I have had since childhood, so juicy and full of flavor.

As someone else mentioned, it appears that the only option is to cancel and rebook. I am not aware of any hotels that do it differently than that because I have been in this position a few times. I have a Hilton reservation in London for 4 nts but needed to drop the last night. I couldn't even do that because the room was no longer available on pts for the first 3 nights. I didn't want to risk cancelling and rebooking because I was afraid the first 3 nts might get snapped up while they were rebooking. They said there is no way to just "change" an existing reservation. However, in my case they called the hotel directly and they said that they would refund the pts if I let them know upon arrival that I would be checking out 1 day early. I'm hoping they honor that; otherwise, I'm out 80K pts.
because of that I've started booking my nights individually. then I email the hotel with all the confirmation numbers so I can stay in same room! if I wanted a 5th night free I wouldn't be able to do that but this is mainly 3 and 4 night reservations

Cap1 is not Chase so just count your Chase cards.

I keep mine around $5k with a few that are higher to draw from for future approvals.

They gave me 3K for my CIU but, if needed I can add a few more K to that by transferring from the biz card with 7k on it. It's a balancing act. I won't close the biz card that earns a free night, but I will eventually close the CIU (probably). That credit will go back to the other card to keep credit money available for another app, maybe way in the future.
Thanks so much! Just when I feel like I’m more confident about cc rewards, I realize there’s still so much I don’t know. I’ve only lowered credit limits and closed accounts a couple of times and and I don’t want to do something that negatively hurts my credit or raises any red flags. That said, I don’t honestly need any cards with a 25k limit and the fact that I had one approved for that high of an amount, requiring me to move funds around and reduce limits, is annoying.

Good to know that Capital One isn’t Chase, so not to bother adjusting that one. DH and I have 3 Disney cards from before 2017. Would it make sense to close 2 of those and just keep one without an AF with a reduced limit? How many cards can we close and/or lower at one time? Should we space it out?

Also, out of curiosity, which business card gives the free night? That sounds like a nice perk.

Hi! New here and wondering if you can help. 18 year old needs first credit card. College freshman and major expenses paid by parents. Makes ~$1500/month and spends about $50-$100/ month at Target, restaurants. Just wants to start earning credit, possibly earn some money/points. May shop a little on Amazon after getting a card. Very responsible kid, will pay off card each month. Currently has US Bank account and debit card.
Welcome! As @havaneselover mentioned, many of us had our college age kids get the Discover card and more recently the CF student card. I started my 3 as freshman and by the time they graduated, they all had a second card too. Having a couple of lines on their credit report after graduation helps with car loans, insurance, apartments etc.

Make sure you have another discussion about paying in full each month. When my niece got her first card, my sister didn't really explain to her how it worked. Let's just say if was a few months before a payment got made. :headache:

Cap1 is not Chase so just count your Chase cards.

I keep mine around $5k with a few that are higher to draw from for future approvals.

They gave me 3K for my CIU but, if needed I can add a few more K to that by transferring from the biz card with 7k on it. It's a balancing act. I won't close the biz card that earns a free night, but I will eventually close the CIU (probably). That credit will go back to the other card to keep credit money available for another app, maybe way in the future.
Thanks so much! Just when I feel like I’m more confident about cc rewards, I realize there’s still so much I don’t know. I’ve only lowered credit limits and closed accounts a couple of times and and I don’t want to do something that negatively hurts my credit or raises any red flags. That said, I don’t honestly need any cards with a 25k limit and the fact that I had one approved for that high of an amount, requiring me to move funds around and reduce limits, is annoying.

Good to know that Capital One isn’t Chase, so not to bother adjusting that one. DH and I have 3 Disney cards from before 2017. Would it make sense to close 2 of those and just keep one without an AF with a reduced limit? How many cards can we close and/or lower at one time? Should we space it out?

Also, out of curiosity, which business card gives the free night? That sounds like a nice perk.

Last edited:
Also just got approved for a CIU for P2 using my support link. His chase Biz cards have all been closed out for several years now. He used to have a couple CIP’s in there and also a United Biz card. When I went to log in to his biz account it was locked and there was a number to call to unlock it. MUST I have him call to unlock or will having a new card to add to the account unlock it automatically?
Congrats on the approval. I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to your question, but I’m in a similar situation and am anxious to hear the answer.

It's the Chase Marriott Bonvoy but it of course has a $95 annual fee. There aren't any Marriotts for under $95 on I 95 when I'm driving to Disney from Maryland, so it is like getting a discounted room. Plus the Chase offers help. In The last 2 months I've picked up $27 in offers on just that card.

3 Disney cards - I have 2 right now and as soon as the fee one gets to be a year old, I will product change it to the no fee card. I have 3 business cards and 6 personal cards. This is about my comfort limit for one issuer. So, in your case, if you only have 4-5 cards from Chase, keep them and watch the offers. The fee card - if you want to keep it, product change to the no fee once it's a year old. Or, cancel it. Definitely reduce the amount of credit if it's crazy high. I think most of us probably cancel some as we go along - especially fee cards once they are a year old and if the perks don't justify the annual fee. (That would be a Disney card with an annual fee.) Some people collect the Disney rewards, but I find there are so many better options for rewards. The recent SUB's have been good though with relatively small spend required.

Just to give you a sense - I have 4 Amex cards, but have held a few more. Most of them cost too much to keep after the first year or two, plus, you may get used to a benefit and it will get stripped from the card. That can happen with almost all issuers.

I also have a Citi fee free, a US Bank fee free, the current Amtrak fee free card, and 3 Navy Federal Credit Union cards. That's 19 cards, and a few are headed out the door - US Bank I'm looking at you. Juggling is what I do, but I'm retired and very good at monitoring and managing my spend, plus I pay in full, no floating anything - I don't have the need but understand that sometimes this is going to happen. I paid lots of interest when I was young and married with family. Now those same credit card issuers are paying me back in rewards.

Through all this my credit score has reached perfect. Learning to manage my funds and my credit is what got it there.

It is going up a category on March 31st (it's an amazing redemption at 20k pts / night).

I'm going to try calling again this morning; I am not willing to risk losing the entire reservation to get 20k pts back.

If you try to modify something that's changed categories from when you booked, I know that definitely requires a cancel/rebook and would cost the points difference.

Sounds like that's not the case here. A common recommendation for hotels that play games with their awards is to book the longer stay and then call to shorten. So I would have thought you can do this without the award availability. But maybe things have changed or it's different due to the hotel being SLH. Here's a similar DP where they were able to shorten through the Twitter Concierge, though it wasn't straightforward. Link

Good luck with your HUCA!

After being forced to be a carry on only traveler, the size of my checked bag is HUGE! LOL. I'd almost be done for carry ons for this trip, but w/ our flights from DTW to BOS on JB I booked the lowest category, so we only get a personal item. But my CC gets us checked bags, so we were planning on checking 3. That said, I've heard the cars are tiny. So I guess I'll see what it looks like once I start packing everything. I did snag a "personal size" travel bag for souvenirs on the way home for $7 off Amazon. I figure we can carry that on for our return flight if we needed the space. We have free checked and carry on for the trip home. I think the biggest challenge will be packing the raincoats, winter coats, and boots/shoes. That's the only reason I feel we'll need the bigger bags. I do have a bag between my carry on size and huge checked bag, so maybe DD and I will share that.

Also thanks for the kinds words about DD. It's been a rough year in general. Losing my dad hit us all harder than we expected (probably because I truly thought I'd have 20 more years, I mean my granny (his mom) just died 4 years ago). I know becoming an adult has been weighing on her since she was 13 too! I remember she was having a panic attack her freshman year about taxes and her counselor laughed and told her even she doesn't know how to do her taxes. Furthermore the ex is a CPA, so taxes we have covered, LOL.

I really really really hope this storm doesn't mess us up. We need some luck of the Irish, and my dad perhaps to pull this off.

With all the planning you have done for the Ireland trip I really hope that it goes. Ds’s flight to London was delayed just over 3 hours due to freezing rain, but he made it. Is there any way that you can get to BOS on Monday night to avoid any potential flight delay out of Detroit?

The cost per night was 25k pts, which I think is a great deal for a high end AI. I had to cancel the room a few hours ago to secure space at the Margutta 19 in Rome in late October. It’s still available if you want to grab it. Be aware that they have a $50.00 cancellation fee smh.

I envy your ability to travel so much without exhausting yourself. I am still getting up at 5:30am several days after coming back from London.

I'm not worried as much about getting to BOS, it's getting OUT of BOS I'm more worried about. Our flight to BOS is earlier in the day and the timelines I saw was it's a 2 day event (going into Weds), so I think we might land early enough to be okay. I know I'll be annoying my BF asking him like crazy to look at the weather and reports. Gotta have some use for a pilot on the roster, LOL. And honestly a delay out of BOS to DUB would be okay with me, as then we'd land later. Right now we're landing at 5am. I booked a hotel for us to go grab a few hours of sleep before we start the day. I know everyone says not to do that, but the dang locals aren't siteseeing at 5am, so I think 2-3 hours of sleep won't wreck us, LOL.

I may look and see if dates are available. It's adults only right? My 17yo has been begging for sunshine, which Ireland isn't going to give us. But it IS spring break, and non-rev for her might be hard. She would be 18 though....I mean if the BF didn't want to go, LOL.

For Chase CL limits… does the 50% of income or $75k guideline include cards you are an AU on or just the actual cards that are yours?

After being forced to be a carry on only traveler, the size of my checked bag is HUGE! LOL. I'd almost be done for carry ons for this trip, but w/ our flights from DTW to BOS on JB I booked the lowest category, so we only get a personal item. But my CC gets us checked bags, so we were planning on checking 3. That said, I've heard the cars are tiny. So I guess I'll see what it looks like once I start packing everything. I did snag a "personal size" travel bag for souvenirs on the way home for $7 off Amazon. I figure we can carry that on for our return flight if we needed the space. We have free checked and carry on for the trip home. I think the biggest challenge will be packing the raincoats, winter coats, and boots/shoes. That's the only reason I feel we'll need the bigger bags. I do have a bag between my carry on size and huge checked bag, so maybe DD and I will share that.

Also thanks for the kinds words about DD. It's been a rough year in general. Losing my dad hit us all harder than we expected (probably because I truly thought I'd have 20 more years, I mean my granny (his mom) just died 4 years ago). I know becoming an adult has been weighing on her since she was 13 too! I remember she was having a panic attack her freshman year about taxes and her counselor laughed and told her even she doesn't know how to do her taxes. Furthermore the ex is a CPA, so taxes we have covered, LOL.

I really really really hope this storm doesn't mess us up. We need some luck of the Irish, and my dad perhaps to pull this off.

I'm not worried as much about getting to BOS, it's getting OUT of BOS I'm more worried about. Our flight to BOS is earlier in the day and the timelines I saw was it's a 2 day event (going into Weds), so I think we might land early enough to be okay. I know I'll be annoying my BF asking him like crazy to look at the weather and reports. Gotta have some use for a pilot on the roster, LOL. And honestly a delay out of BOS to DUB would be okay with me, as then we'd land later. Right now we're landing at 5am. I booked a hotel for us to go grab a few hours of sleep before we start the day. I know everyone says not to do that, but the dang locals aren't siteseeing at 5am, so I think 2-3 hours of sleep won't wreck us, LOL.

I may look and see if dates are available. It's adults only right? My 17yo has been begging for sunshine, which Ireland isn't going to give us. But it IS spring break, and non-rev for her might be hard. She would be 18 though....I mean if the BF didn't want to go, LOL.
It is adults only, but I doubt they'd ask for her age at check-in.

When I was tracking flights on the night of ds's departure I noticed that N. American routes were being cancelled but the majority of international flights were departing (his flight was delayed because the incoming aircraft was delayed, not because of the freezing rain).

Sending positive vibes your way for your flight to takeoff without any delays (though ds said the delay worked in his favor as he fell asleep before they took off, woke up long enough to put his seat into a bed and slept until the FAs woke him up for breakfast).

If it helps, you might not need winter boots in Ireland. I packed my winter boots for the Christmas Market trip in December (never took them out of the suitcase); what they call cold we refer to as pleasant weather ;) In London I was fine wearing my casual shoes the entire trip (didn't even pack boots). If anything you might want waterproof / hiking shoes to keep your feet dry, but you can wear those on the plane. For rain coat and warmth, I wear a goretex shell with an insulated jacket underneath (both Arcteryx). Worked fine for December trip -- only used the inner jacket for London and only on 1 or 2 of 6 days. I wore my beanie most days and had lightweight insulated gloves and warm socks.

When dh and I were in Ireland pre-wedding I asked for the smallest car because the lanes are narrow, esp. on small and winding country roads. Didn't matter because he got too close to a parked car in Dublin and knocked the rearview mirror off our rental :scared:.

Just came to post the same! Looks like there are some offers for Gold 90k+$200 statement credit and Personal Plat for 150k+$200 statement credit, which might be the unicorn and her crown!

You can create a support link with the biz plat (or any Amex with the 5x offer if that's what you want) and then when P2 follows the link, scroll to personal cards.
Y'all are the smartest people on the planet!! I've been pondering downgrading/canceling my Amex Plat for some time because I can't justify the huge fee but did consider going for the Gold to have a place to park my MR. It never occurred to me to have DH support for this card from his Plat! I thought it was only the card you held that could use for support!

The first link pulled 60K offer and incognito pulled 75K so I'll try a couple of more browsers to see if I can get the 90K unicorn, but no matter what it'll be a win to get the bonus! Thank you all for always sharing your knowledge with internet strangers (even though I don't feel like we're strangers) :)

For Chase CL limits… does the 50% of income or $75k guideline include cards you are an AU on or just the actual cards that are yours?
Are you an AU on your player 2's cards? Are you using household income when you apply for a card?

Most AU cards that you are on are not directly your responsibility so, in general, it's just the actual cards that are yours. I'm way above 50% right now, and they are still approving me. My income structure has changed since retiring. I have assets but I haven't felt the need to share that info with any card issuer to get approved. But, I've only app'ed 2 Chase cards in the last year.

It's the Chase Marriott Bonvoy but it of course has a $95 annual fee. There aren't any Marriotts for under $95 on I 95 when I'm driving to Disney from Maryland, so it is like getting a discounted room. Plus the Chase offers help. In The last 2 months I've picked up $27 in offers on just that card.

3 Disney cards - I have 2 right now and as soon as the fee one gets to be a year old, I will product change it to the no fee card. I have 3 business cards and 6 personal cards. This is about my comfort limit for one issuer. So, in your case, if you only have 4-5 cards from Chase, keep them and watch the offers. The fee card - if you want to keep it, product change to the no fee once it's a year old. Or, cancel it. Definitely reduce the amount of credit if it's crazy high. I think most of us probably cancel some as we go along - especially fee cards once they are a year old and if the perks don't justify the annual fee. (That would be a Disney card with an annual fee.) Some people collect the Disney rewards, but I find there are so many better options for rewards. The recent SUB's have been good though with relatively small spend required.

Just to give you a sense - I have 4 Amex cards, but have held a few more. Most of them cost too much to keep after the first year or two, plus, you may get used to a benefit and it will get stripped from the card. That can happen with almost all issuers.

I also have a Citi fee free, a US Bank fee free, the current Amtrak fee free card, and 3 Navy Federal Credit Union cards. That's 19 cards, and a few are headed out the door - US Bank I'm looking at you. Juggling is what I do, but I'm retired and very good at monitoring and managing my spend, plus I pay in full, no floating anything - I don't have the need but understand that sometimes this is going to happen. I paid lots of interest when I was young and married with family. Now those same credit card issuers are paying me back in rewards.

Through all this my credit score has reached perfect. Learning to manage my funds and my credit is what got it there.

I have the Chase Marriot Bonvoy. It’s my oldest Chase card. I keep forgetting about the free night, though, we did regularly take advantage of it before the pandemic. I have to remember to continue using it now. I have 6 Chase personal cards and 3 business.

I agree on the Disney cards. There’s definitely better rewards cards out there. We have one that has a $49 fee. I’m going to PC that down to a NF card and close out the other two.

Does Chase factor in the personal chase cards limits when approving for a business card. I’m assuming I need to worry about CC limits on all Chase products and not just the personal ones?

I have the CIU and haven't used for a long time. I got the letter stating if I don't use they'll close it.
I already have CIC and CFU and P2 does as well.
Any drawbacks to letting the CIU die?
Thank you

Does anyone have the Ritz Carlton Chase card? Have been reading up on it and I may product change one of my Marriott cards to this. I like the unlimited people for PP and looks like this one you can still use at restaurants plus authorized users get the same.. just want to make sure that is correct

Also, I have had the Marriott cards for many years. If I do change to this and add my family as AU’s. Will the 5/24 not be an issue since the card is older than 2 years?

I have the CIU and haven't used for a long time. I got the letter stating if I don't use they'll close it.
I already have CIC and CFU and P2 does as well.
Any drawbacks to letting the CIU die?
Thank you
Only drawback I can think of is if you were to apply for a new CIC or CIU and the CL given was low you could transfer some of the CL on the older CIU to your new card

Are you an AU on your player 2's cards? Are you using household income when you apply for a card?

Most AU cards that you are on are not directly your responsibility so, in general, it's just the actual cards that are yours. I'm way above 50% right now, and they are still approving me. My income structure has changed since retiring. I have assets but I haven't felt the need to share that info with any card issuer to get approved. But, I've only app'ed 2 Chase cards in the last year.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I’m an AU on my P2’s CSP, Freedom and Freedom unlimited. They all have fairly high CL’s. I usually just put our whole household income on an app, and we both work 2 jobs each.

I only have Amazon visa and the free Disney visa. Plus a SWA Biz, which I know doesn’t count for personal. If I add up all our chase CL’s we are basically at the 50% mark. I don’t use or need the Disney visa since buying DVC last year so I don’t necessarily need the $8k limit anymore. I’ve had it 15+ years so I don’t want to cancel it to keep the long history, but I could lower the limit, if I need to. I’m wanting to apply for the personal SWA card so I can earn CP, which is why I was asking about how the CL counts. I don’t want to be denied for having too much CL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter