I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thanks for the info.

Yes, I’m an AU on my P2’s CSP, Freedom and Freedom unlimited. They all have fairly high CL’s. I usually just put our whole household income on an app, and we both work 2 jobs each.

I only have Amazon visa and the free Disney visa. Plus a SWA Biz, which I know doesn’t count for personal. If I add up all our chase CL’s we are basically at the 50% mark. I don’t use or need the Disney visa since buying DVC last year so I don’t necessarily need the $8k limit anymore. I’ve had it 15+ years so I don’t want to cancel it to keep the long history, but I could lower the limit, if I need to. I’m wanting to apply for the personal SWA card so I can earn CP, which is why I was asking about how the CL counts. I don’t want to be denied for having too much CL.
Chase just looks the CLs on your cards both personal and business not the ones you are an AU on

The cost per night was 25k pts, which I think is a great deal for a high end AI. I had to cancel the room a few hours ago to secure space at the Margutta 19 in Rome in late October. It’s still available if you want to grab it. Be aware that they have a $50.00 cancellation fee smh.

Just booked Secrets Impression Moxche for next year. In my excitement, I didn't realize we'd be gone for DD's birthday. :headache: Bad mom! Luckily found some other dates that worked and asked chat to change the dates. Had a moment of panic as I would hate to lose $50 for a dumb mistake!

I was also considering a speculative booking and almost pushed the button and then reread the cancellation fee more closely to see it was $50 anytime after making the booking. Which is fair with this category change coming up, that way people like me don't hog dates others could have taken. I hadn't thought of looking for next year, so maybe I'll peek at that. It's much harder when it's an adults only thing.

Can someone please check my math/reasoning please? I booked 3 nights via the UR portal at the HRH for this June, at a cost of $2,449 or 163,277 UR's on DH's CSR. There's an AP rate available for the HRH directly through the hotel for the same 3 nights for $1,784 total. Because I can use PYB on grocery/gas purchases on DH's CSR thru 3/31, I think if I use the AP rate I'm better off ($1,784 = 142,687 UR's at 1.25) minus original booking 163,277 means of savings of 20,590 UR's.

Currently we only have $1,152 (92k UR's) of PYB transactions available, so we'll need to spend an additional $632 ($1,784 - $1,152) at gas/grocery stores in time to use PYB before it ends on 3/31.

Does that all sound correct? Also, just to verify, we don't really have a balance remaining on that card, so if we use PYB and end up with a credit balance, we can request a refund from Chase into our bank account, correct?

Thank you for anyone willing to go through all this math with me! I think it's worth it to save approx $205, but only if I'm thinking of everything correctly. :goodvibes

Can someone please check my math/reasoning please? I booked 3 nights via the UR portal at the HRH for this June, at a cost of $2,449 or 163,277 UR's on DH's CSR. There's an AP rate available for the HRH directly through the hotel for the same 3 nights for $1,784 total. Because I can use PYB on grocery/gas purchases on DH's CSR thru 3/31, I think if I use the AP rate I'm better off ($1,784 = 142,687 UR's at 1.25) minus original booking 163,277 means of savings of 20,590 UR's.

Currently we only have $1,152 (92k UR's) of PYB transactions available, so we'll need to spend an additional $632 ($1,784 - $1,152) at gas/grocery stores in time to use PYB before it ends on 3/31.

Does that all sound correct? Also, just to verify, we don't really have a balance remaining on that card, so if we use PYB and end up with a credit balance, we can request a refund from Chase into our bank account, correct?

Thank you for anyone willing to go through all this math with me! I think it's worth it to save approx $205, but only if I'm thinking of everything correctly. :goodvibes
I thought PYB for the CSR was 1.5cpp? I only have a CSP so don't pay that much attention. Otherwise your math is correct.

I thought PYB for the CSR was 1.5cpp? I only have a CSP so don't pay that much attention. Otherwise your math is correct.
PYB is now only 1.25 and no longer for dining. It is for grocery and gas. I didn’t realize that was ending 3/31. It’s possible they will extend the benefit at the last minute beyond the 3/31. They repeatedly did that for the 1.5% dining. I was actually shocked when it finally ended because they extended it so many times.

I believe your math is correct. Also remember that if you book a the AP rate with the CSR, you will be earning additional points for reimbursement and/or future travel. You won’t have those earnings if you use the portal for the reservation.

Is it okay to request a CL reduction on multiple chase cards at the same time or is that too aggressive? Can you tell I’m nervous? I don’t even know why? It just stresses me out that I have to ask them to reduce my credit at all. Also, I may need to close a couple cards. Is it okay to close more than one card at a time or should I just first focus on reducing the credit limits and not worry about closing any?

Does anyone know if chase biz cards can be used in the Apple Pay wallet? DH prefers the personal cards because we haven’t been able to add the businesses cards to Apple Pay. I don’t ever use it, so I don’t really care.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the Ritz Carlton Chase card? Have been reading up on it and I may product change one of my Marriott cards to this. I like the unlimited people for PP and looks like this one you can still use at restaurants plus authorized users get the same.. just want to make sure that is correct

Also, I have had the Marriott cards for many years. If I do change to this and add my family as AU’s. Will the 5/24 not be an issue since the card is older than 2 years?
Chase backdates AU accounts, so it should appear with the open date of the original card.

I don't have the card but that's my understanding of the PP benefits as well. It's not a bad card if you can get good use of the 85k FNC and all the other benefits. Just have to do some work to setup the AU PP since that hasn't been available through the website. Last I heard you just call or SM after the AUs are added to get them the PP membership.

Is it okay to request a CL reduction on multiple chase cards at the same time or is that too aggressive? Can you tell I’m nervous? I don’t even know why? It just stresses me out that I have to ask them to reduce my credit at all. Also, I may need to close a couple cards. Is it okay to close more than one card at a time or should I just first focus on reducing the credit limits and not worry about closing any?

Does anyone know if chase biz cards can be used in the Apple Pay wallet? DH prefers the personal cards because we haven’t been able to add the businesses cards to Apple Pay. I don’t ever use it, so I don’t really care.

I don't think it matters but I'd call to do it all. I'd worry that an sm to change more than one cl could get messed up.

I have a really old Marriott Amex (formerly the SPG Amex) that I want to cancel. I have a stockpile of Marriott points that I can never seem to use so I am switching over to UR. I also struggle to use the free night certificate. I have one that is about to expire unused.

This is the only Amex I have and I don't think there is anyway to downgrade it to a different card. I would eventually like to open a different Amex but I just got the CSP and I am working on that MSR right now. The AF will be hit next month. Can I cancel after that and get the AF back? Is it an issue to cancel that old of a card and then have no Amex or should I wait until I can open a new Amex? The CL on my new CSP is close to what the Amex is so my overall CL is still the same.

How can you tell if it is a joint card or someone is just an AU? Both DH and I have this card but it is so old I don't remember how we opened it. Or maybe this doesn't matter at all?

I don't think it matters but I'd call to do it all. I'd worry that an sm to change more than one cl could get messed up.
Thank you!! I’m considering reducing the CL on two biz cards and leaving my personal credit limits alone. This is because I plan to apply for a biz card. Does it make more sense to reduce the biz cards versus the personal? (One personal card has a CL of 20k), but we use those more, so I’m worried reducing the CLs for these cards will hurt my utilization.

Does product changing an old card then treat it like a new card? In other words, will I lose the benefit of its age? It’s my oldest card, but I pay a $79 fee just to keep it open so as to not hurt my credit score. I was just hoping to change it to something that doesn’t charge an AF but still retain the fact that it’s my oldest credit card.

Thank you!! I’m considering reducing the CL on two biz cards and leaving my personal credit limits alone. This is because I plan to apply for a biz card. Does it make more sense to reduce the biz cards versus the personal? (One personal card has a CL of 20k), but we use those more, so I’m worried reducing the CLs for these cards will hurt my utilization.
When I reduce a CL or close a card…I’ve always done it one card at a time …
sending a SM from the card asking them to reduce the CL on card xyz to abc …fingers crossed they have always done it correctly.

One thing to consider if you reduce CLs on the business cards…if you are approved for a new one with say a $3,000CL…and you want to increase it…you can’t transfer personal cards CL to business cards

I sent an sm to chase asking to close a card. They said they got my message and will get to it in 2-3 business days. My AF is due Monday. I'm thinking if it doesn't show closed Monday morning I'm going to have to call.

Does product changing an old card then treat it like a new card? In other words, will I lose the benefit of its age? It’s my oldest card, but I pay a $79 fee just to keep it open so as to not hurt my credit score. I was just hoping to change it to something that doesn’t charge an AF but still retain the fact that it’s my oldest credit card.

I am of the opinion that you can secure message for one transaction and once it happens, secure message again for next transaction.

But if I need things done quickly, I'm more likely to call and then I'm able to see my account and what has happened.

Product changing doesn't change the account age. But I'm not sure what card you are referencing with the $79 fee? There has to be a card without a fee in the product line to change to also. For instance you can't change a fee SW card to a no fee Disney card or similar, and you may know this already and have one that will work.

One thing - Biz credit stays in the biz credit pile.
Personal credit stays in the personal credit pile.

So, in keeping up with your credit lines - keep enough in each pile to cover a new card in the event you need to pull from an existing card to have the new card approved.

And, some cards require a minimum credit line - CSR -10K, CSP -5K and this may not be accurate for everyone or even now, but when I got my CIC they wanted 5K which surprised me. I haven't heard that mentioned (or I missed it. ) But I had enough on my other Biz card to make it. Then, last week they approved me with no hassle immediately.

Also, if not approved immediately, I call to see what the hold up is but only with Chase.

Somehow, I think you will be fine with your 2 apps. Just make sure you follow the rules on time between app's. Someone else can tell you which card to app for first, and how long before second app. I just don't ever worry about that as I don't do many cards in a year.

I figure my travel hacking friends will appreciate this story! My 20 year old son is studying in Florence for the semester. Before he left we added him as an authorized user on DH's Venture X so that he could get his own free priority pass membership.

He and his friends travel almost every weekend. This weekend they flew to London. I just got a snapchat from him saying "This is the best food we've eaten all weekend". They were in a lounge at Gatwick, LOL.

My kid has learned well. He and his friends are flying cheap on Easy Jet or Ryan Air, just taking a backpack to avoid baggage fees, staying in hostels, and getting free food at the lounge when they can.

Anyone under 12 is allowed to use Precheck if an adult on the same reservation has it.
It's actually age 12 and younger (so under 13), according to the TSA site. I only know this since my son just turned 12 and was looking on whether I'd have to get him his own pre-check (will do it at some point this year, but no rush to get it done before our spring break trip).

I’m also interested that someone a while back (don’t remember who) mentioned paying off your Target Red Card with vgc at the customer service desk in store. Sounds like a bit of a hassle but might be worth it to save a little more in URs. Has anybody tried this and not had it work?
I've been doing this for about a year with no issues. I've seen some horror stories of Target shutting people down without warning for this, but that seemed to be more along the lines of MS, where they ended up with thousands of dollars of credit on the Red card doing this and asked for a refund. I only pay the balance I have each month (so, usually $200-300 or so) and haven't carried a substantial credit ever, so I'm guessing I'm doing this far more casually than some who have had issues?

A product is a collection of benefits that can be assigned to an account. (Think points earning rates, travel protections, redemption options - these are all types of benefits that make up a product.)
Your account is the card, it has an account number (card number), history, credit limit, etc.

So when you do a true product change of a credit card, only the benefits change and no changes the account *. With Chase they do a true product change so your card number and history all stay the same, in fact, nothing will look any different on your credit report at all from just a PC. AmEx is the same. But it can vary with other card issuers if they do PCs. Wells Fargo for a while (maybe still?) would offer product changes but they really would close and open a new account. I think they maybe kept the terms the same like credit limit, maybe the APR and whatnot but it was essentially a new account on the credit report, IIRC. Caught some people off guard. So it's best to research the card issuer specifically to find the rules. And I'm sad to say, don't just go by a single phone rep from the company. Not all phone reps are trained well on the details of their products. Do some basic fact finding first before committing to a change.
If you can't PC that card to something without an AF, I wouldn't keep paying it just for the credit history if it's not doing anything else for you. Closed accounts stay in your report for up to 10 years and for FICO scores are counted as part of your history. So you have many years before you have to worry about account history dropping off, as long as you make sure to keep some cards that will have 10+ year history at that point (so anything you open around now at least). Do you have any other cards around the same age? It might not make as much impact as you think if it's just one of multiple.

Or if they don't have any 0 AF products, and offer true PC, maybe you can change it to something that you'd actually get benefit from? For me $79 is a lot to spend for just credit age, but if there was something else of value I might be able to justify it. Unless I was going for a loan or mortgage soon or was on the very edge of a 'good' credit score, I'd take the temporary credit hit to save the money. There are some sample score calculators that will let you adjust your credit info to see the impact changes will have.

Hopefully this makes sense!

*You can have the account number change on a true product change if you are switching networks, i.e. changing from a Visa to a MasterCard. That should be the only visible change on an account.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter