• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

@NewbieMom @CyndiLouWho

We’re driving to Los Altos tomorrow, are there any specific questions you’d like answered before you arrive? I’m happy to help, and can be on the lookout for any specific questions you may have in advance.

We’ve been in La Fortuna the past 3.5 days. Staying in an Airbnb. We’re getting more comfortable with every passing day, and truly enjoying the country.

Happy to answer any questions.

@NewbieMom @CyndiLouWho

We’re driving to Los Altos tomorrow, are there any specific questions you’d like answered before you arrive? I’m happy to help, and can be on the lookout for any specific questions you may have in advance.

We’ve been in La Fortuna the past 3.5 days. Staying in an Airbnb. We’re getting more comfortable with every passing day, and truly enjoying the country.

We're going in December. Would love to hear some food recs in MA!

Yes, I've used it a ton for restaurants, annual fee, and now grocery. I thought several of these transactions were in activity, not pending but it looks like they are all still pending (even purchases on 3/16). I'm guessing that's the problem.
Yes, I’m sure that is the issue then. That’s surprising they are still pending now!

Back from another lovely stay at the Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe. Used up 3 plat hotel credits and a Cat 7 FNC. The weeknights were $250/night, so only $50 OOP. Saturday night was the most expensive, so I used the FNC. Feel like I can do better with the FNC, but it expires in 6 months so I find it hard to maximize.

1 night, I booked on DH's Amex Travel account using my plat. Interestingly, the reservation showed up on my Amex Travel account as well as his. 2 nights were with DH's twin plats, which are now canceled. The weather was looking iffy and I wasn't sure if we were going to cancel, so I made back-up reservations on those plats before I canceled them. I think this would prevent claw back, but glad to not have to put it to the test.

For all 3 reservations, I put DH's Hyatt number and they showed up on his Hyatt account. Along with the FNC night, they all got merged into one reservation after check-in and it was pretty seamless. At check-in, we presented an Amex like you're supposed to, but they ended up charging the Hyatt biz that was used to hold the FNC res (works for me lol).

Globalist recognition is very good here and we were upgraded to a lower cottage with a small kitchen. Last time was an upper cottage with a wet bar.

@NewbieMom @CyndiLouWho

Yes food recs would be good. I see a lot of small restaurants within walking distance and hope to check them out. I think breakfast is included? We will be there one week from tomorrow!
Little disappointed in the guide we hired. He is apparently not thrilled with driving 5-6 hours from Andaz to Los Altos and then back. I mean I don't know why he agreed if he is unhappy about it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes food recs would be good. I see a lot of small restaurants within walking distance and hope to check them out. I think breakfast is included? We will be there one week from tomorrow!
Little disappointed in the guide we hired. He is apparently not thrilled with driving 5-6 hours from Andaz to Los Altos and then back. I mean I don't know why he agreed if he is unhappy about it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Will definitely report on restaurants we try. I also noticed several within walking distance.

I’m sorry to hear about your guide. Obviously he knew ahead of time how long the drive is. Seems unprofessional to gripe about it. Hopefully he changes his tune when he picks you up.

@NewbieMom @CyndiLouWho

Thanks for the tag! What tours did you do in La Fortuna? Any particular you'd recommend? We will be staying at Tabacon in the area and have a few things booked. Are the roads easy to navigate? We've also rented a car, but a bit nervous about driving. I'd love your thoughts on Los Altos. We're not going that way, but might take another trip to the south side if we enjoy it!

Does anyone know how long a referral link remains eligible for the referral sign up bonus, as well as how long the bonus you can apply for in the link is available? I’m referring to the Chase Ink unlimited — referral at 40k bonus points and sign up for $75k?

We're staying at dolphin for the first time, using amex plat $200 hotel credit + $100 resort credit (and hoping the Marriott $200 credit will also trigger).

• How do I make sure my Marriott account is linked to my reservation since I booked through amex? (It's linked on my Amex account already)
  • Do I need to ask for the room upgrade benefit or will it just be a luck or the draw when we check in?
  • Any other tips to maximize benefits?
I just did this last month, it showed up in my Marriott account pretty much immediately since I entered my loyalty number in the Amex booking. As long as you have the two night minimum stay for The Hotel Collection benefits you should be eligible for an upgrade, I hear gold-upgrades are extremely stingy so I'm sure my upgrade to resort view (no balcony) was from THC. I did online check in and could see the room upgrade (listed Resort View) after my room was ready and the room number was listed. I didn't get to the hotel until very late so I already had a room assigned before stopping at the desk for a key, I did not ask about any further upgrades since I was happy with the resort view and they were sold out anyways.The front desk never mentioned the amex plat benefits or gold status but it was crazy busy (like 20 people in line) so I'm sure they were just trying to move things along. The $100 resort credit will be automatically applied to the resort fees on your invoice upon checkout so don't bother charging any dining to your room if you have 3 or more nights (aka over $100).

Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum—Which is better? I’ve had the CSR for over 4 years and feel seasoned with Chase UR but trying to feel out other options. I know the Amex Platinum AF is higher, but are the rewards enough to justify the $100 cost difference? I don’t see it making sense to maintain both, but perhaps I’m wrong?

Does anyone know how long a referral link remains eligible for the referral sign up bonus, as well as how long the bonus you can apply for in the link is available? I’m referring to the Chase Ink unlimited — referral at 40k bonus points and sign up for $75k?
Unfortunately no way to know…usually with Chase the support links(DISboards frown on the R word) last a bit longer than the public offer…but…with the Ink 90k offer the support links died before the public offer ended

Chase Sapphire Reserve or Amex Platinum—Which is better? I’ve had the CSR for over 4 years and feel seasoned with Chase UR but trying to feel out other options. I know the Amex Platinum AF is higher, but are the rewards enough to justify the $100 cost difference? I don’t see it making sense to maintain both, but perhaps I’m wrong?
I don't have either card, I have the card below each of them (CSP and Gold.) I think it depends on what you want to do with the points. If you fly Delta, stay at Hilton, use Clear and don't mind needing another card to earn the points to use, go with a Platinum. If you fly United or SW, stay at Hyatt and want one card to earn and use, then go CSR.

If I had to choose - CSR wins out due to easy to use travel credit and ability to combine points with the Chase Freedom family earning 5x on quarterly categories.

And - what sticks out to me from your post - I’ve had the CSR for over 4 years - so time to cancel/downgrade the CSR and apply for a new one to earn another SUB.

So it looks like my taxes credited back to my IHG card for my Aer Lingus taxes. Can I have Chase apply the credit to a different card? Also I had $250 returned to an Amex card, can I have that sent to a different balance too? In the end I only lost like $1 on the car rental (I'm sure in exchanging back and forth) and $13 for the wifi hot spot "shipping". And I think we'll all be in a much better place next year. It stinks her 18th was uneventful. That said she went from 1 tattoo (a shamrock she got on her "golden" birthday) to the #18 (her soccer number and her brother's hockey number, LOL) on her bday, a heart harry style designed and my dad's handwriting saying "I love you now and forever" this weekend. UGH! At least they can all be covered and except for the Harry heart, all have meaning, LOL. I swear this child!

Does anyone know, can I use my BFs Marriott FNC if he's not there? He's thinking of letting me use them to take the kids to Mexico. But w/ his job we'll never know if he will have those days off. I guess worse case, we can book and cancel if needed. Otherwise I was going to book using Hyatt (URs) to take the kids to Mexico in April/May. Spring Break is next week, but my daughter will still be in her program, and I want her to be in a good place. Also I don't think I can use the FNC (prices too high) until May.

I've been in such a whirlwind, I missed the close of the 90k. UGH! I was going to do the CIU but I was dragging my feet. When I went to do it last night I saw it's back to 75k. So I went to do the Wyndham Biz card. I got that I'm under review. I was denied the JB biz saying I had the card before. When I called they were like, oh no...you haven't and approved me. So we'll see. While I'm waiting on Barclay, can I apply to another card? Next on my list (since Inks are just "back to normal") is the AA citi biz, to get free baggage and more AA miles. Last time it took Barclay a few weeks to get my denial to me. I just don't want to get the AA card and then have Barclay deny me in 2 weeks because I got the citi card. It sucks not having a MSR right now. I just dropped $1k for the BF to get new satellite sides for his LoveSac. And then all the money I'm spending on my daughter's treatment.

Dd texted me a while ago and said she doesn't think she wants to travel at the end of April. Primary reason is her bf would like to spend some time here before he heads to CA (he graduates this spring). Depending on what job she takes and when it starts, she may go to CA (Mill Valley) with him for a few weeks. I am going to try calling Ashford Castle and seeing if they will refund my booking (made with URs); if not I bought CFAR insurance, but it only covers 75 or 80% of the cost. Flights and London and Dublin hotels I can cancel without penalty.

I got to thinking, since I'm not traveling at the end of April, why not go to Europe for an extra few days in early April (I was scheduled to fly to FRA, then on to Amsterdam on April 10th). Since I booked a cash fare and used a SWU to get into biz class, I had to find a flight that had a seat open on a SWU. Found the same flight on April 5th, so called AA, the amazing CSR confirmed the SWU, then cancelled the April 10th flight, booked me on April 5th, then applied the SWU.

Decided that I will take the train from FRA to Brussels (3 hours) on April 6th, spend 3 nights in Brussels (definitely taking a day trip to Bruges), then take the high speed train to Amsterdam on the 9th. Since the trip is over Easter weekend I'm hoping that most restaurants / shops / museums will be open on Easter Sunday and Monday. Looking forward to my trip!
So no Ireland for you either? Maybe this isn't the year to go, LOL. Even though it's the "it place" to travel this year.

Not churning related, but this group has such good advice on such a wide variety of things, I thought I'd ask.

I am traveling for work with 3 of my employees. As in, we are on the same flights to/from, and we are all in the same hotel (all separate rooms of course) and will likely be Ubering to/from the airport (in Sacramento) to the hotel and back

I am still relatively new to being a manager and I am pretty sure none of them have traveled for work before.

Is there anything specific you think I need to be aware of in this situation? I have traveled for work before but always alone.
I travel w/ my colleague often. We normally keep our expenses separate. But she knows I play the game. So she has me do any "shared" expenses, like a rental car, or uber, etc. We both buy our own meals though. We obviously text each other normally, so it's no different for travel. We invite each other to meals or other random things we're doing. Sometimes we meet up, sometimes we don't.

Will definitely report on restaurants we try. I also noticed several within walking distance.

I’m sorry to hear about your guide. Obviously he knew ahead of time how long the drive is. Seems unprofessional to gripe about it. Hopefully he changes his tune when he picks you up.
It's weird. He's telling me how Manuel Antonio has the same wildlife as Arenal area (which is his area ) and we don't need to go that far. I'm like too late to cancel now, he says I didn't say you should cancel. All this because he said we should leave Andaz at 7 am and I asked if we could make it 7:30 so we could get some breakfast. He seems enthusiastic about the tours (tubing & zip-lining etc) so hopefully it will be ok.

I thought I missed someone. Will definitely report back on restaurants.

Thanks for the tag! What tours did you do in La Fortuna? Any particular you'd recommend? We will be staying at Tabacon in the area and have a few things booked. Are the roads easy to navigate? We've also rented a car, but a bit nervous about driving. I'd love your thoughts on Los Altos. We're not going that way, but might take another trip to the south side if we enjoy it!

ATV tour with La Finca ATV. Our family’s favorite. Would do this again in a heartbeat. I booked/paid for this 1 month in advance through their Whatsapp.

The 2nd day we drove to Rio Celeste and went tubing down the river with Onca Tours. This was just ok. Paid the deposit 1 month in advance through Whatsapp.

Don Olivo chocolate tour was highly recommended by our local ATV tour guide. We genuinely enjoyed it, and would recommend it. I contacted them through WhatsApp 2 days before, and was told to just show up.

I paid for them all in USD cash. Except for the things I pre-booked.

Driving is an adventure. We rented a hotspot cell phone along with our car rental and it came equipped with Waze. We have used Waze successfully with only 1 minor detour on the way to Rio Celeste. The roads are potholed in many areas so you definitely want a small SUV just for the bigger tires. But really the roads are fine. It was a bit nerve wracking for DH the first couple of days just due to the unfamiliarity, but he has settled in and can now just go with the flow. We love having a car.

It's weird. He's telling me how Manuel Antonio has the same wildlife as Arenal area (which is his area ) and we don't need to go that far. I'm like too late to cancel now, he says I didn't say you should cancel. All this because he said we should leave Andaz at 7 am and I asked if we could make it 7:30 so we could get some breakfast. He seems enthusiastic about the tours (tubing & zip-lining etc) so hopefully it will be ok.
Well, I’m certainly no expert, but we haven’t seen any wildlife in the Arenal area except for a couple of distant sloths. No monkeys hanging around that’s for sure.

It will be a long day in the car for you guys, but I don’t think it’s fair for him to say Arenal is like MA. I’m guessing he’s assuming you don’t realize how far the drive is, and doesn’t want you to be disappointed. Kind of like “are you sure you really want to drive that far?” I guess you could reassure him you are well aware, and want to stick to your plan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter