• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Does the AmEx Gold Personal Card have the TSA Precheck / Global Entry fee benefit? I'm not seeing it on the benefits when I'm signed in, but in some terms I'm seeing on their website, it looks like it does.

I found this on their website:
All American Express® Corporate Gold Card Members, Corporate Platinum Card Members, Business Platinum Card® Members and Platinum Card® Members are qualified to receive a TSA PreCheck application fee credit. To receive the statement credit Additional Card Members must charge the application fee to the eligible Card account.

But, I don't see it listed under benefits on my account. So, I'm confused (as usual lol).

The ATV tour sounds really fun! Too bad my kids are too young...Good to hear you enjoyed the Don Olivo tour! I have that one booked too! Too late for you, but fyi to others interested, this one is on the Chase UR portal. (That's where I booked ours). We have a large SUV reserved, so that's good to know.
Sorry to hear your kids are too little for the ATVs. It was such an amazing time. You’ll enjoy Don Olivo. I’d recommend arriving about 10 minutes early. Parking was tight, and they start right on time. You’ll have to go down a dirt road for a bit, adds to the adventure 😜

We have arrived at Los Altos and all I can say is WOW! The service so far has been outstanding, without feeling pretentious or snobby given the price point. I will do a better write up when I get home Monday, but highlights so far:

As you guys know the 25k points is for 2 people for 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom condo. The other bedrooms would be locked off. She told me it would be an additional $150/night per additional bedroom for the kids. She asked if I wanted 1 extra room or 2. I said 1 extra room would be fine costing us the $150 extra per night. She said she would discount it for us to $130. Great! We had to pay the additional $587 immediately at check in for our 4 nights.

She then proceeded to give us a guided tour or our 2500sq ft condo. When we came to the 3rd bedroom on our tour she offered to give us the 3rd bedroom for free if we left a nice review on Trip Advisor. My son immediately got so happy to not have to share a room with his sister. So we have the entire 3 bedroom 2.5 bath place to ourselves.

We are on the 3rd floor, and yes we face the parking lot, and as I am sitting on our balcony typing I can hear karaoke from a nearby restaurant, but I’m not mad. Except some of it is pretty bad 😂

And the wifi isn’t amazing.

Other than that I could see myself returning here often.

ETA: Also the elevator door opens directly into the room, which is slightly weird because you can hear people talking in the elevator as it goes by the room. I’m sure I’ll get used it, but the first time it was a little disconcerting thinking the door would open and people would be in our room.20B17FC0-8A13-4E58-AFCF-1256663FE5DF.jpeg

Now that I have been earning MR's and UR's I started researching redeeming them for flights. My current thought is to use some of them for Biz seats to Europe for a Greek Isles cruise in 2025 or 2026. In looking at google flights the options for us are flying out of IAD, JFK, EWR, PHL, Toronto, or Montreal using United, American, Delta, Air Canada, or Iberia. When I tried looking for award flights to get an idea of availability and price most of what I am finding are really high. United is usually 155k miles one way and Delta is around 180-255k miles one way. The only ones which are low are AA but it is on BA flights with $752 in surcharges. Is it that hard to find award availability in Biz for less than 100k a person one way or am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to pay for Expert Flyer or point.me for a month to try to figure out award prices and availability?

I know I need more points/miles but I need to figure out what flights would cost and what airlines so I can determine what my next new cc's should be. I want to make sure that I get cards with SUB's which will work for our flights or hotels pre/post cruise. You all are so knowledgeable and make it look easy. My head is swimming trying to figure out finding good award availability options.
I remember someone on the board saying you could get free access to point.me by signing up for an Bilt rewards account even if you did not have the Bilt Mastercard

If you needed a passport by the end of July, would you pay the extra $60 to expedite it? Its for a first-time passport, not a renewal.
I'm in the same boat but we can't apply until mid April because we'll need DS's passport til then. I do plan to expedite and will need it by August.

Which also means that we can't travel internationally in between April and Aug. And a kid's passport isn't a renewal, it's technically a new application, but we've always had to turn the passport in with the new application. Does anyone know if there a way to keep using the existing passport for a kid?

I all the DIS credit card experts I need some advice as to the best versatile points credit card for my son who just turned 18 to get his first credit card in his name. He won’t be charging a ton, $400-500 per month on it so nothing with an annual fee. Thanks for your help in advance.
This question gets asked every few months here--if you do a search of this thread you'll find some good answers. I've written a few times about the secure Discover card, which two of my kids started with.

I all the DIS credit card experts I need some advice as to the best versatile points credit card for my son who just turned 18 to get his first credit card in his name. He won’t be charging a ton, $400-500 per month on it so nothing with an annual fee. Thanks for your help in advance.

Both my kids started with Discover card - it gives double cashback for the first year which is pretty good. My kids already had some credit history as they had been authorized users on my cards since 13 or 14 years old.

I agree with the others who have said to expedite it. My nephew applied for his first passport (non expedited) around the first or second week of Jan and he still doesn't have it back yet. We leave in May and I am starting to get worried.
I found this online if you are interested in paying the $60 to upgrade to expedited:

You can upgrade your application from routine processing to expedited processing for an additional $60. You may also choose to add a 1-2 delivery service of your completed passport book for an additional $19.53. One-to-two day delivery is not available for passport cards. We only send cards via First Class Mail.

If you applied in person or renewed by mail, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) and ask to upgrade your application service type. You’ll need either your application number or your last name and date of birth, as well as your credit card to pay the $60 expedite fee.

If you renewed online, you can login to your MyTravelGov account and upgrade to expedited service or pay for 1-2 delivery service of your completed passport book. You can pay for these additional services in your account up until the time that your application is approved.

We have arrived at Los Altos and all I can say is WOW! The service so far has been outstanding, without feeling pretentious or snobby given the price point. I will do a better write up when I get home Monday, but highlights so far:

As you guys know the 25k points is for 2 people for 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom condo. The other bedrooms would be locked off. She told me it would be an additional $150/night per additional bedroom for the kids. She asked if I wanted 1 extra room or 2. I said 1 extra room would be fine costing us the $150 extra per night. She said she would discount it for us to $130. Great! We had to pay the additional $587 immediately at check in for our 4 nights.

She then proceeded to give us a guided tour or our 2500sq ft condo. When we came to the 3rd bedroom on our tour she offered to give us the 3rd bedroom for free if we left a nice review on Trip Advisor. My son immediately got so happy to not have to share a room with his sister. So we have the entire 3 bedroom 2.5 bath place to ourselves.

We are on the 3rd floor, and yes we face the parking lot, and as I am sitting on our balcony typing I can hear karaoke from a nearby restaurant, but I’m not mad. Except some of it is pretty bad 😂

And the wifi isn’t amazing.

Other than that I could see myself returning here often.

ETA: Also the elevator door opens directly into the room, which is slightly weird because you can hear people talking in the elevator as it goes by the room. I’m sure I’ll get used it, but the first time it was a little disconcerting thinking the door would open and people would be in our room.View attachment 748092
This write up makes me so excited for our trip! We booked Los Altos at 21k/nt since it’s non peak, but we’ll likely be bringing friends/family so they’ll have to pay the additional room charge. I can’t wait to read the full review after you’ve stayed for 4 nights!
Also, I wouldn’t be mad at that mostly jungle/little bit of parking lot view with the ocean in the distance 😍😍😍

Is he a student? My DD's first two cards when she turned 18 were Discover and Capital One for students, then at 19 Chase for Students, then at 20 the Chase FreedomFlex. Chase likes to see a history of credit with other issuers (or seems to). Interestingly, her "go to card" remains the CapitalOne card. None of these have an annual fee and the C1 is a MC as is the CFF.

This write up makes me so excited for our trip! We booked Los Altos at 21k/nt since it’s non peak, but we’ll likely be bringing friends/family so they’ll have to pay the additional room charge. I can’t wait to read the full review after you’ve stayed for 4 nights!
Also, I wouldn’t be mad at that mostly jungle/little bit of parking lot view with the ocean in the distance 😍😍😍
Thought you might like to see the additional bedrooms. The 3D tour on Los Altos website of the rainforest room is exactly the room we are in.

1 queen bed
34775859-D143-4625-94F3-2ED5897A5CBC.jpeg

2 twin beds
79599B10-5FE5-4EE0-9FB9-1BA629FB7FE0.jpeg

Master
456586D4-64A7-455A-B17B-E273938ACC01.jpeg

Now that I have been earning MR's and UR's I started researching redeeming them for flights. My current thought is to use some of them for Biz seats to Europe for a Greek Isles cruise in 2025 or 2026. In looking at google flights the options for us are flying out of IAD, JFK, EWR, PHL, Toronto, or Montreal using United, American, Delta, Air Canada, or Iberia. When I tried looking for award flights to get an idea of availability and price most of what I am finding are really high. United is usually 155k miles one way and Delta is around 180-255k miles one way. The only ones which are low are AA but it is on BA flights with $752 in surcharges. Is it that hard to find award availability in Biz for less than 100k a person one way or am I doing something wrong? Do I just need to pay for Expert Flyer or point.me for a month to try to figure out award prices and availability?

I know I need more points/miles but I need to figure out what flights would cost and what airlines so I can determine what my next new cc's should be. I want to make sure that I get cards with SUB's which will work for our flights or hotels pre/post cruise. You all are so knowledgeable and make it look easy. My head is swimming trying to figure out finding good award availability options.

Flights to Greece are expensive, especially the nonstop ones from the US and of course flights in 2023 are very very pricey in terms of points/miles and OOP. It's a good idea to look and get an idea and save/squirrel away more than you need, just in case things cool down but rarely does that happen, frankly. Then, if you want business class you're adding on even more expense, so you're not doing anything wrong, per se, you're just experiencing sticker shock, lol.

I'm always searching 2 years out and keep a notebook with goals and the flexible miles to attain them as well as Plan B and Plan C. For instance, in 2019, I had a goal of traveling to Australia in biz or better with DH and my list included - Plan A- United 400K miles, Plan B AA 220K miles, Plan C Delta 500K miles when an alert came up for 2 seats available one way on Qantas F via AA for 220K AA miles, which I had, so I was able to book those flights (and then booked a cruise around the flight, lol).
ETA- I could have transferred United miles from UR and Delta from MR*

On the bright side, it sounds like you have lots of time to play with dates and your cruise isn't locked in, so you could fly to a cheaper airport like Rome, Barcelona, Lisbon or Paris, spend a night or two there and then fly on to Athens and do the same on the return or do an Athens to Rome cruise and then fly RT FCO and fly more cheaply in and out of Rome (or IST or...).

Last edited:
I am in the same situation. I applied for a CIC on the 12th and the automated system is still giving the 2 week message so I talked to a rep assuming the automated system had not been updated and she told me it is still pending. I have never had one take more than a couple of days and this is now at 9 days. I didn't ask for an immediate review because I already have 5 CIC and I am hoping to avoid being questioned on why I need so many.

I broke down and called again and this time the rep looked at my account and said it was being handled by the business and acquisitions dept (or something like that) and asked if I would like to be transferred and I said yes, please.

The new guy asked some basic questions, how long has the company been in business, what type of business is it, annual income, if I rent or own my home and how much I pay per month, and why I was late on a CC payment in Dec 2022 (oops, I overlooked the bill and paid it in full once I realized it was late). He DID notice I had a lot of open cards but just asked it I minded transferring some of my credit line that was being underutilized to the new card. Yes, thank you very much!! He even let me pick which card I wanted the CL moved from.

It's amazing what one customer rep will tell you and what another can do for you. HUCA is the best advice.

Good luck.

Does the AmEx Gold Personal Card have the TSA Precheck / Global Entry fee benefit? I'm not seeing it on the benefits when I'm signed in, but in some terms I'm seeing on their website, it looks like it does.

All American Express® Corporate Gold Card Members, Corporate Platinum Card Members, Business Platinum Card® Members and Platinum Card® Members are qualified to receive a TSA PreCheck application fee credit. To receive the statement credit Additional Card Members must charge the application fee to the eligible Card account.

But, I don't see it listed under benefits on my account. So, I'm confused (as usual lol).
I only see "Corporate Gold" in the terms you copied. That's in a completely different line of cards from a personal gold or a business gold card. (AmEx has 3 lines: corporate, small biz aka biz cards, and personal)

AFAIK that list is correct, I only recall it on Plats and some Corp cards. What some people have mentioned is that AU users of the Platinum cards also get their own GE/PreCheck credit, even the free Gold level cards. The Gold level AU cards have nothing to do with the AmEx Gold card or its benefits, in this case its more like a level of service than a product. (You pay for Plat level AUs but they get more of your benefits for the price, like their own Lounge access, which isn't available to the free Gold level AUs) Several DPs from the group here that Personal Platinum Gold level AUs each get the GE or TSA Pre check credit.

Otherwise I haven't heard of personal or Biz Gold cards getting that perk.

I am trying to come up with a plan for my new few cards.
I need to be able to transfer URs with Dh to make my decision. We used to be able to until I closed my CSR which was linked to him to transfer.
How do I go about transferring now? Call/ SM?
I would like to upgrade his Freedom to a CSR so I can get the in branch CSP. But I am traveling next year and want the CSR redemption rate. All 200,000+ URs are in my acct.

If I cant transfer to him I might just apply for the CSR for myself.

I need to be able to transfer URs with Dh to make my decision. We used to be able to until I closed my CSR which was linked to him to transfer.
I would like to upgrade his Freedom to a CSR so I can get the in branch CSP. But I am traveling next year and want the CSR redemption rate. All 200,000+ URs are in my acct.

I thought you or or P2 had to have a Reserve or Preferred to be able to transfer but I could be wrong.

We transfer online but my MIL account is not online. She wanted a new iPhone and we called chase and they were able to transfer her UR from her CSP to my CSR when they were allowing UR to be redeemed at the same value as using the travel portal.

Has anyone ever linked your Chase UR personal accounts with your Chase UR business accounts? I have just been doing a secure message to transfer points, but recently got a response that I could link the accounts. Just curious if there is any downside to doing this? A message popped up that said by linking accounts, I would be giving sub users access, but I’m not concerned about that as I don’t have any sub users. My biggest concern is if it would affect future applications with Chase, because all of the accounts would be visible, but they should have access to all of that anyway, right? Just want to make sure there isn’t any reason not to link the accounts before I do it? TIA

Yes, the Plat covers clear membership up to $189 per calendar year. DH and I are both going to renew. Now that airports are busier it is nice to cut to the front of the Pre-check line.
More and more airports are going to the same type of setup that MCO has, there is one line for Pre with Clear and one for Pre without. In some airports, MSP, ATL in particular, it is faster to go through Pre without Clear than it is Pre with Clear.

Personal Gold does not have a Precheck/GE benefit. I get it from my Navy Federal Flagship and my Delta Platinum.

Well I got a call from DE yesterday and answered it. Turned out to be Barclay calling about the Wyndham Biz app I put in, LOL. They were like we see 6 inquiries in the last 12 months, can you tell us why? HA! In the end they approved me w/ $1500 CL. I love that they always give me such a little limit. My AA biz was $1500 and my JB biz is $1500. It's only a $2k spend I think. So I'll hit that! Anyone know how fast it takes to update your Wyndham acct to diamond? I want to jump on the casino status matches :)

I guess I can try planning my next card too, either the CIU or the Citi Biz. Woooo!

You can apply for a CIU every 90 days, but you can space closer together, although not recommended to do so too frequently.

I had a feeling that dd would rather spend time with her bf than me -- she's going to be 21 on Star Wars Day, so it's not surprising. Hope that you are able to travel next year with your dm and dd, maybe with a few extra days...

Dd told me that she wants to get a tatoo, which I am fine with; dh, OTOH is not!
Her dad is the one who's took her for her first tattoo. And her 2 this year on her bday. Neither of us have any, but she's on a roll. UGH. I just want to make sure she is putting them where she can hide them. She wants to likely be a hygienist and my BIL is a dentist and said he makes his staff cover them.

Has anyone ever linked your Chase UR personal accounts with your Chase UR business accounts? I have just been doing a secure message to transfer points, but recently got a response that I could link the accounts. Just curious if there is any downside to doing this? A message popped up that said by linking accounts, I would be giving sub users access, but I’m not concerned about that as I don’t have any sub users. My biggest concern is if it would affect future applications with Chase, because all of the accounts would be visible, but they should have access to all of that anyway, right? Just want to make sure there isn’t any reason not to link the accounts before I do it? TIA
Chase did it in branch for me when I opened up my biz account (banking). Quick and easy.

You can transfer, you'll need SM chase and ask to transfer your points to his Freedom (you'll need the entire card number) and ask them to permanently link the accounts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter