• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I’m a veteran solo traveler. I am fine being by myself, eating by myself. I’ve been to Disneyland x2, Universal (Hollywood and Florida), Colorado, South Carolina, New York, Boston, LA, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Canada, … and I’m sure more solo. Sometimes I was on a work trip and I extended with some leisure days. Sometimes I just didn’t have a travel partner like my recent trip to Banff And I went alone.

I still like traveling with family/friends but I don’t shy away from traveling solo. The biggest issue is I don’t have someone to watch my bag at the airport or save my place when waiting for a parade.

For Utah, I wouldn’t have a problem. I was glad my son went to Glacier NP with me. I would have skipped some trails if I had gone solo due to the fear of bears. I was worried about Banff but as I said it was busy and I stuck with the most popular trails.

We are going to Glacier next week. It's been a big bucket list item for many years but the closer we get the more nervous I am about bears. I think I've read too much for my own good. 🐻

For the CFF bonus categories, does anyone know if any of the third party ticket sellers will code as live entertainment? I seem to remember someone in the past saying UT codes as travel. I am guessing they probably all do.
Safest bet is to go with one of the options specifically listed on the FAQ/Examples page: Chase Merchants

Additional data points from my past history:
Undercover Tourist codes as travel
TicketsatWork is on Chase's list and it's posting as "ticketing agency" for me as of yesterday, but hasn't translated to UR yet.
Orlando Informer, while an authorized ticket reseller, codes as "personal services." So much for getting 5% back on my meetup tickets... :sad2:

I’m a veteran solo traveler. I am fine being by myself, eating by myself. I’ve been to Disneyland x2, Universal (Hollywood and Florida), Colorado, South Carolina, New York, Boston, LA, San Diego, Grand Canyon, Canada, … and I’m sure more solo. Sometimes I was on a work trip and I extended with some leisure days. Sometimes I just didn’t have a travel partner like my recent trip to Banff And I went alone.

I still like traveling with family/friends but I don’t shy away from traveling solo. The biggest issue is I don’t have someone to watch my bag at the airport or save my place when waiting for a parade.

For Utah, I wouldn’t have a problem. I was glad my son went to Glacier NP with me. I would have skipped some trails if I had gone solo due to the fear of bears. I was worried about Banff but as I said it was busy and I stuck with the most popular trails.
I need to learn this skill- thank you!

We are going to Glacier next week. It's been a big bucket list item for many years but the closer we get the more nervous I am about bears. I think I've read too much for my own good. 🐻

I know how you feel! I was very nervous when we went in 2017. We did a ranger led hike as our first hike (to Grinnell Glacier) figuring a group would make us feel better and it did!

The next day we did the hike to Iceberg Lake on our own, though there were people on the trail. I think we literally asked every person we came across on a trail if they’d seen bears for the whole week!

The hike from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake Overlook is packed with people, we didn’t do avalanche lake but I’d think the same, people wise.

Fun fact: we were staying at Sperry Chalet (hike in lodge) when the main/shortest trail back to our car was closed due to a fire started by lightning. So instead of our 6 mile downhill hike to leave, we (and all the other guests) had to hike out via the 13 mile Gunsight Trail, over 2 passes and eventually thru some very thick vegetation where we were yelling “hey bear” every 1-2 minutes (they told us the section was “grizzly area”). Had to use the park shuttles to get back to our car at Lake McDonald lodge. We thought we’d be at our car by 11am, but didn’t make it there until 6pm. (We were the last group of people who stayed at Sperry Chalet before it burned a few weeks later and was closed for 2 years before it reopened after restoration.)

Glacier is AMAZING and you’ll love it. Always have your bear spray. The only bears we saw were from a long distance, thankfully.

I know how you feel! I was very nervous when we went in 2017. We did a ranger led hike as our first hike (to Grinnell Glacier) figuring a group would make us feel better and it did!

The next day we did the hike to Iceberg Lake on our own, though there were people on the trail. I think we literally asked every person we came across on a trail if they’d seen bears for the whole week!

The hike from Logan Pass to Hidden Lake Overlook is packed with people, we didn’t do avalanche lake but I’d think the same, people wise.

Fun fact: we were staying at Sperry Chalet (hike in lodge) when the main/shortest trail back to our car was closed due to a fire started by lightning. So instead of our 6 mile downhill hike to leave, we (and all the other guests) had to hike out via the 13 mile Gunsight Trail, over 2 passes and eventually thru some very thick vegetation where we were yelling “hey bear” every 1-2 minutes (they told us the section was “grizzly area”). Had to use the park shuttles to get back to our car at Lake McDonald lodge. We thought we’d be at our car by 11am, but didn’t make it there until 6pm. (We were the last group of people who stayed at Sperry Chalet before it burned a few weeks later and was closed for 2 years before it reopened after restoration.)

Glacier is AMAZING and you’ll love it. Always have your bear spray. The only bears we saw were from a long distance, thankfully.
This brings back memories of our family trip to Yellowstone... :rotfl2: One teen boy and one preteen loudmouth....lots of camp cabins etc and we carried bear spray with my younger one yelling "hey bear" every couple of minutes which drove his older brother crazy.....good times

Now that I'm caught up on work. I flew through the new airport in Kansas City last weekend. Had I not known that there was a brand new airport I would have thought I got dropped in the wrong city. Had a woman on the escalator to baggage claim turn around and ask me if she was in Kansas. Then look confused when I told her no, she was in Missouri.

ETA: The all gender restroom threw me for a bit of a loop. Walked off the plane, the men's room near the gate was closed for cleaning, the next was the all gender right by security. All I was looking for was a urinal so it was kind of lost on me.

Last edited:
We saw lots of bears but either from the car or far from where we were hiking. As long as you are in a group, you should be fine. We also were on most of the popular trails. I think there was one or two trails where we were alone for a large portion. But with two of us, I wasn’t too worried.

Safest bet is to go with one of the options specifically listed on the FAQ/Examples page: Chase Merchants

Additional data points from my past history:
Undercover Tourist codes as travel
TicketsatWork is on Chase's list and it's posting as "ticketing agency" for me as of yesterday, but hasn't translated to UR yet.
Orlando Informer, while an authorized ticket reseller, codes as "personal services." So much for getting 5% back on my meetup tickets... :sad2:
It's tricky. Even though Disney World is listed as entertainment, my Behind the Seeds purchase coded as dining. I was somewhat hopeful about that one, not a huge deal.

This brings back memories of our family trip to Yellowstone... :rotfl2: One teen boy and one preteen loudmouth....lots of camp cabins etc and we carried bear spray with my younger one yelling "hey bear" every couple of minutes which drove his older brother crazy.....good times

🤣

Honestly that was the only time I was concerned because of how thick it was and there were no long range sight-lines to at least see if a bear was up ahead. It was mostly wooded and then we were literally walking thru some sort of waist high berry bushes.

Part of our Glacier stay was staying in the Cabins at Swiftcurrent and we decided to walk to Many Glacier Hotel for a drink...about a mile. About halfway there we realized we left our bear spray behind. It was mostly a road walk, so wasn't too worried, but of course, as we sat on the back deck of MG Hotel, we see a bear up on the hillside beside the road...that we had to walk back on. Fortunately it was very high up, but still.

We've hiked some in Yellowstone and the Tetons but never really felt too worried about bears, but we also always have bear spray there too.

To anyone out there that has the BILT Mastercard, do you know if that will work to pay the rent for someone else or does the apartment lease have to be the same name as the card? I was wanting it to pay the rent for two of my kids but it looks like you can only pay rent once per month. That should still work for us because one kid's rent is only due at the beginning of the semester and the other one is due once per month. One landlord wants venmo and the other one wants a check. It's nice to see BILT does both now. I am just a little worried about using one of my 5/24 slots on this card unless I am sure I can use it pay both rents.

Why don’t you try to use one of the kids 5/24 slots? I would not waste a 5/24 on Bilt.
I was planning to “help” my DS22 apply for a Bilt card and then have him use it to pay for his rent AND DD20 rent as well so I’m very interested in the answer to this question as well. My plan was to have him apply to avoid the hit to my 5/24 status. But I never considered that the lease might have to be in the name of the cardholder. In which case my plan wouldn’t work.

I do have a Twitter account so I could msg there if you haven’t heard back from anyone with an answer yet, @DogCat . Have you heard anything?

I was planning to “help” my DS22 apply for a Bilt card and then have him use it to pay for his rent AND DD20 rent as well so I’m very interested in the answer to this question as well. My plan was to have him apply to avoid the hit to my 5/24 status. But I never considered that the lease might have to be in the name of the cardholder. In which case my plan wouldn’t work.

I do have a Twitter account so I could msg there if you haven’t heard back from anyone with an answer yet, @DogCat . Have you heard anything?
I was curious about this question so I did a Google search and found two comments that you're restricted to one rent payment a month.

This was published 3 weeks ago, scroll down to the comments section https://frequentmiler.com/bilt-rewards-complete-guide/

The other comment I can't locate right now, but it was in the r/CreditCards subreddit if you want to do a search there.

Disclaimer, I don't have the Bilt CC so I don't have personal experience with it.

My sister wants to go to Key West for her 50th this December. Could I get recommendations for hotels, etc? I am Marriott Platinum and Hyatt Explorist.

I was curious about this question so I did a Google search and found two comments that you're restricted to one rent payment a month.

This was published 3 weeks ago, scroll down to the comments section https://frequentmiler.com/bilt-rewards-complete-guide/

The other comment I can't locate right now, but it was in the r/CreditCards subreddit if you want to do a search there.

Disclaimer, I don't have the Bilt CC so I don't have personal experience with it.
Thanks for the link! It’s helpful.

Anyone book direct Delta flights through AirFrance or KLM? We are looking to go to Italy next summer and I can find the direct flights on a few days but not many. Does anyone know how many days out they post and what time of day? I can't find anything direct to Rome, but have found flights to other cities. Any really good resources for help? I am not finding much. We are not even trying to get business class, although I would love it! I know Delta isn't a favorite for many, but that is what we usually fly. Of course, complicating this trip is that we got in the presale for one of Taylor's shows next year. There is a tiny chance we will actually get tickets, but then all my planning is out the window!

I'll let you know how it goes if I decide to give it a go. I think I will. We fly a lot of J/F on BA as we go to London 3-4 times a year. I just flew F back last week, and it was fine, but so much depends on the plane. I need to do a better job of figuring out what planes to try to get, but my luck it will get change. I love the new J suites (with doors), but DH finds them too tight.

Thanks. I'd love to hear more about it. I tried for F but was told that the flights from here to LHR never sell F for points (maybe that wasn't true? but they definitely had nothing available when we booked). I'd be much happier in F or even in the new J but when we booked none of the flights here had the new J so I just went with the A380 for the novelty of being on the second floor. I'm not sure I'd buy points because we seem to have a lot of MRs right now but it's always something I consider.

Anyone book direct Delta flights through AirFrance or KLM? We are looking to go to Italy next summer and I can find the direct flights on a few days but not many. Does anyone know how many days out they post and what time of day? I can't find anything direct to Rome, but have found flights to other cities. Any really good resources for help? I am not finding much. We are not even trying to get business class, although I would love it! I know Delta isn't a favorite for many, but that is what we usually fly. Of course, complicating this trip is that we got in the presale for one of Taylor's shows next year. There is a tiny chance we will actually get tickets, but then all my planning is out the window!

I haven't been able to, but I didn't put too much effort into it TBH. We wanted a flight back from Rome using Flying Blue and could only see overpriced KLM and AF flights for our dates. If I'd seen Delta I would have happily booked with them but it wasn't showing up on the FB page.

No I still haven't done the twitter thing so it would be great if you can message them! I just an email to "support". I will let you know if they reply.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link! It does say only one rent payment per month but it doesn't say only 1 rental property per Bilt account so I think I could still make it work by paying the "semester rent" when it is due (twice per year) and in those 2 months I just won't be able to use Bilt to pay the other monthly rent.

Also, I was planning to have the older child apply for the card (rather than me) and use one of her 5/24 slots since right now she is paying rent every month and not receiving any points at all. I thought about Bilt previously but hesitated because other SUBs were out there. But now that my college kid is also paying apartment rent, I thought it might be worth it.

We saw lots of bears but either from the car or far from where we were hiking. As long as you are in a group, you should be fine. We also were on most of the popular trails. I think there was one or two trails where we were alone for a large portion. But with two of us, I wasn’t too worried.
🤣

Honestly that was the only time I was concerned because of how thick it was and there were no long range sight-lines to at least see if a bear was up ahead. It was mostly wooded and then we were literally walking thru some sort of waist high berry bushes.

Part of our Glacier stay was staying in the Cabins at Swiftcurrent and we decided to walk to Many Glacier Hotel for a drink...about a mile. About halfway there we realized we left our bear spray behind. It was mostly a road walk, so wasn't too worried, but of course, as we sat on the back deck of MG Hotel, we see a bear up on the hillside beside the road...that we had to walk back on. Fortunately it was very high up, but still.

We've hiked some in Yellowstone and the Tetons but never really felt too worried about bears, but we also always have bear spray there too.
OK you guys are all talking about a subject I thought I was having an irrational fear of, LOL. We are doing Yellowstone/Tetons in early May next year, and I've read that's when wildlife is REALLY active, coming out of hibernation, etc. and bears can be a little more aggressive during that time since they're just waking up/hungry. Did you all just buy or rent bear spray when you arrive to the national parks? I believe I read it can't go on planes. But I know I don't want to get stuck on a trail in Yellowstone without it!

OK you guys are all talking about a subject I thought I was having an irrational fear of, LOL. We are doing Yellowstone/Tetons in early May next year, and I've read that's when wildlife is REALLY active, coming out of hibernation, etc. and bears can be a little more aggressive during that time since they're just waking up/hungry. Did you all just buy or rent bear spray when you arrive to the national parks? I believe I read it can't go on planes. But I know I don't want to get stuck on a trail in Yellowstone without it!

We've done it both ways. Purchased from Walmart or rented from the vendor in Yellowstone (a little cheaper if you're going for a week or less), they have different drop off points to return the canister so you shouldn't have to backtrack to where you picked up. We also rented bear spray from an outfit just outside the Bozeman airport since we were renting a spotting scope from there and returning it before we flew out. When we purchased it, we just donated it to the staff at SIgnal Mtn Lodge when we checked out.

I wouldn't worry too much about the bears in YNP/GTNP honestly, but I would definitely have bearspray. We've been to both parks 3 times since 2015 and did a fair amount of hiking w/o seeing bears on the trails. We did hear about a black bear+cubs on the Cascade Canyon trail in GTNP (HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend, we have gone into the Canyon every time we've gone and hiked all the way up to Lake Solitude, around 13 miles rt, twice. If you hike up to Inspiration Point, just keep going a little bit and the hordes of people will disappear and you'll be in a gorgeous canyon - you can hike as far or not as you'd like and then turn around) and despite being on high alert, never saw them.

We've never gone as early as early May, but have gone in early June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter