• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

What’s the general consensus here on Ziva Cap Cana? The reviews I have read in the past seem mixed, and most seem to say that with the increased points redemption it’s not worth it. I think some of you here have been, would you go back at the current rate of 66k/night for a suite? 😲

Have not been, but that's steep. I value Hyatt/URs minimally at 1.5 cpp, so that would make it $990/night. Plus if you are traveling with more than 2 people, additional are 20k/person/night. Or you can do a cash rate for the additional, from Flyertalk looks like that's $180 for age 13+ and $125 under 12.

I looked into the Ziva Cancun before the category change, but it just seemed like a lot paying for the kids.

Have not been, but that's steep. I value Hyatt/URs minimally at 1.5 cpp, so that would make it $990/night. Plus if you are traveling with more than 2 people, additional are 20k/person/night. Or you can do a cash rate for the additional, from Flyertalk looks like that's $180 for age 13+ and $125 under 12.

I looked into the Ziva Cancun before the category change, but it just seemed like a lot paying for the kids.
yeah i want to say it was 90 before the change for kids under 12. but yeah I agree I always get 2 cent + a point at hyatt .

You should be filling out that application right now 🤣🤣 😜
I like your thinking, and thanks for the shove, LOL. Went ahead and applied, using DH referral link, and instant approval with $5K CL. Sent a SM to see if I can have it expedited, as we have a big purchase coming up on Tuesday. Might be a shot in the dark to get it in time, but it would be like 1/3 of the spend so it's worth a shot!

Can't wait to have another 124K URs :cheer2:

Last edited:

Yeah 66k/night shocked me. I get that it’s AI, but dang! I’d be willing to try it, but I would have to have an abundance of URs burning a hole in my wallet.

I like your thinking, and thanks for the shove, LOL. Went ahead and applied, using DH referral link, and instant approval with $5K CL. Sent a SM to see if I can have it expedited, as we have a big purchase coming up on Tuesday. Might be a shot in the dark to get it in time, but it would be like 1/3 of the spend so it's worth a shot!

Can't wait to have another 124K URs :cheer2:
I was approved last Th and got my CIP expedited. They said it would take 2 biz days and it did arrive on Monday.

Woke up this morning to emails from Booking dot com confirming my Days Inn reservation in Orlando...that I did not make. Couldn't cancel on Booking website since the reservation was for tonight and they charge for cancellation. From what I can see on Booking it is not my CC but it might have been an old card of mine (don't remember adding a crd bc I never use that site). I did manage to call them and the woman said they would send an email to the hotel to cancel but that I should also call the hotel to let them know. I did and the hotel guy was super rude and just said "you need to call Booking, I'm not doing anything" after I just said "I canceled with Booking and they told me to call you to alert you to look for an email from them." 🙄 I froze all my cards this morning and will be spending this evening changing passwords for all CCs and all hotel, airline, etc accounts.

Dd and I can't go away next summer because she will start work the 1st or 2nd of May. Everyone with young kids and adults enjoy your travel time with them because it ends far too fast.
I am trying to decide where I want to go in September. Thinking Taiwan for a few days, then hopping over to Bali (it's been on my radar for a while). Then maybe Europe on the way home. Not sure -- I have several weeks to decide before I book seats. Nothing is really calling out to me now, but I might need to visit Norway again to do more hiking (I have a few hikes planned for September but really feel like I'm just scratching the surface). We shall see how much my knees allow :sad2:!
I know how it feels. DD has basically said that she can't join us on big trips anymore. I'm just booking things for me and DH and telling her that if she can get away for a few days we will try to find air for her to join us wherever we happen to be. I agree that for those with younger kids, enjoy the family vacations while you can.

Thanks and luck to you on the return flights! I know what you mean. I'd like to try Virgin too but BA opens up earlier and I'd rather have my flights booked sooner rather than later.
Thank you. I'm going to need it. We always book BA because it opens first, but DD got to fly "upper class" on VA when we "evac'd" her out of Europe when the world was shutting down. We booked that ticket one day before the flight (fantastic deal on points), and felt lucky to find anything. She said that VA was really, really nice. But I'm more of a "bird in the hand instead of two in the bush" kind of person, so if BA opens and the points are reasonable I'm going to book it (at least the AMEX transfer deal will help soften the cost).

I know how it feels. DD has basically said that she can't join us on big trips anymore. I'm just booking things for me and DH and telling her that if she can get away for a few days we will try to find air for her to join us wherever we happen to be. I agree that for those with younger kids, enjoy the family vacations while you can.
This isn't directly related, but today I came home early from work and told the sitter to go ahead and leave early. Then as I was settling in, I noticed my 3 yr old had on a different shirt. I asked her why, and she said she got paint over it. I found the shirt sitting on top of the dresser and "got paint over it" was an understatement. It looked like she rolled around in a puddle of paint. So I proceeded to check where the painting was done, and found that she had emptied 10 jars of acrylic paint on the granite countertops and made a big swirling masterpiece. Needless to say, I called the sitter to not come back tomorrow.

I know it's not the same as what you're saying and it's absolutely not my 3 year old's fault at all. But as I'm sitting waiting for the cleaning solution to soak for the next 30 mins, I'm trying to remind myself I would miss this one day.

I buy stuff and resell it on Facebook Marketplace. When Rakuten has their 10x or 15x at Dell, I can turn the credit into almost pure cash profit.
What types of stuff have you found easy to resell? I've "smart" our home already and used our last credit on a nice scanner to scan receipts/docs, but starting to run out of ideas..

I know that it says AmEx points take up to 48 hours to show up when transferred to Aeroplan. But DPs say instant. My account shows them as earned today, but they're not available to redeem. Stressing b/c I really want to snag this flight to Africa and my travel dates aren't super flexible. Just sharing my stress w/ ppl who understand!
Mind sharing your trip plans? No chance I'm going to Africa in the next 5 years, but I love reading about other people's trips and redemptions.

Mind sharing your trip plans? No chance I'm going to Africa in the next 5 years, but I love reading about other people's trips and redemptions.
Got my points transferred and was able to book my flight to Africa :) I booked through AirCanada and am doing a combo of First and Business on Air India. 140k and ~$50 cash one way. I know there are likely better redemptions out there if I was willing to wait, but I'm the kind of high-anxiety person that sleeps better having a flight booked.

Now I need to figure out the return!

Spending a few days in Nairobi (including one night at Giraffe Manor) and then hopping to Tanzania for a mix of safari and time on Zanzibar (in both Stone Town and at the beach). Still working out the details.

This isn't directly related, but today I came home early from work and told the sitter to go ahead and leave early. Then as I was settling in, I noticed my 3 yr old had on a different shirt. I asked her why, and she said she got paint over it. I found the shirt sitting on top of the dresser and "got paint over it" was an understatement. It looked like she rolled around in a puddle of paint. So I proceeded to check where the painting was done, and found that she had emptied 10 jars of acrylic paint on the granite countertops and made a big swirling masterpiece. Needless to say, I called the sitter to not come back tomorrow.

I know it's not the same as what you're saying and it's absolutely not my 3 year old's fault at all. But as I'm sitting waiting for the cleaning solution to soak for the next 30 mins, I'm trying to remind myself I would miss this one day.
While I didn't have anything like that happen when DD was little, I do remember days when I would have to remind myself that I would one day wish for those days back. Someone said that with parenting "the days are long but the years are short" and I really resonate with that. I hope you can get the paint out, and find a more attentive/responsible sitter. ;)

What types of stuff have you found easy to resell? I've "smart" our home already and used our last credit on a nice scanner to scan receipts/docs, but starting to run out of ideas..

Bose sells well. I loved it when they had the $199 Bose headphones, but they’ve upgraded to the more expensive ones (normally $299 but looks like they are on sale for $249!). I don’t love spending more than the $200 credit. This most recent time, I bought an Xbox on sale for $249. I did well on that one and wound up with $186 profit, not including the 10% cash back I’ll get through Rakuten. The Xbox was really easy to sell on FB Marketplace (no fees!) whereas I sold the headphones on eBay, which cut into my profit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter