I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Have a great time!
We travel with 4 carry-ons and 4-backpacks now that the girls are older, when they were young we would bring 1 large checked suitcase + 1 carry-on and 4 backpacks. DH was in charge of the large checked bag and 1 girl, I was in charge of carry-on and 1 girl. You can’t have more bags than hands available.
I want to get to this. I always overpack and take a medium suitcase for just me. I want to get to not needing to check a bag.

I’m pretty sure my timing is right, but checking with you all. Has anyone who opened the 900 chase checking/saving bonus early this year, closed their account? I think I’m good As it’s been 6 months.

Look into sleep masks. I needed that for my trip to Band since it was light until 10:30. Much smaller than curtains. I have to google that since I can’t figure out how you hang them or know how many windows are in the room or the size of the windows.
We have sleep masks for dh and I but ds won’t wear one so the curtains are mainly for him. We have two curtains that we bring. It may not cover the windows entirely if they’re big windows but it helps. They suction onto the window.

One of my goals is to fly on an A380 plane. One of the options is Emirates to Dubai and if we did that, would like to stay at the Al Maha. It seems this is going to be alot of points and taxes on the Emirates flights now seem quite high. 2 business class seats from JFK to DXB are 552,000 miles and over $3400 in taxes. The nights at Al Maha are 116,000 -120,000 per night for dates in Feb. We would stay 5 nights so we would get one free. I know no one can answer if it is worth it but especially from those of you who have been there, would you spend this many points/money to go? Thanks
I am flying Emirates first class on the A380 in September from Toronto to Dubai, with a 13 hour layover, then on to the Maldives (also first class). I also get the Emirates layover package, which gives me a hotel room, 3 meals and a private driver to and from the hotel (though I'll be shopping in the souk most of the time). I booked 11 months in advance and used around 165k points for a 1 way flight + approx. $1,300.00 in taxes. If you want to do the trip I'd recommend booking as far in advance as possible to save on the amount of points that you need -- I think that 552k points is really high for biz class seats. I also did the Al Maha and it is a wonderful resort, super relaxing with lovely staff. Not sure I'd do 5 nights again, but glad that I tried it once. I gather Marriott points through SUBs and always seem to have enough to get 5 nights at a luxurious property every 18 or 24 months. I pay cash for Marriott stays at lower-priced hotels and use my Marriott AmEx for 6x points. To answer your question, is it worth it? Personally I wouldn't use 552k miles for 2 in Emirates biz class, but there is no right answer -- we all use our points differently, so it's a question only you can answer. I try to book my points seats as soon as the seats that I want drop.

Just got AMAZING value on a 35k bonblah FNC. Using at the STRAF Milan in October -- cash price $715.00; I got for FNC + 14k points. I had the night booked on points, but was able to book using the FNC, then cancelled the points reservation. I have my eye on a nice Marriott property for 2024 or 2025 so need to keep the points that I am amassing after redeeming at the Ritz Carlton Maldives and Al Maha last year.

Has anyone been to Grenada? There is an accredited vet school there that I want dd to tour. She's a bit finicky and is certain that she'll get into a school in the US or maybe the only school here that she can apply to (we have residency restrictions that limit where she can apply). I think the school in Grenada is perfect for her because she can do her Masters and DVM concurrently and she needs her masters for the kind of work that she wants to do (conservation and wildlife vet). I want to visit on her reading week in November but she doesn't want to. So, if anyone here has been and can offer some amazing selling points on the island I'd love to hear them. She'd only be living 3 years there, then back here for her final year.

I am flying Emirates first class on the A380 in September from Toronto to Dubai, with a 13 hour layover, then on to the Maldives (also first class). I also get the Emirates layover package, which gives me a hotel room, 3 meals and a private driver to and from the hotel (though I'll be shopping in the souk most of the time). I booked 11 months in advance and used around 165k points for a 1 way flight + approx. $1,300.00 in taxes. If you want to do the trip I'd recommend booking as far in advance as possible to save on the amount of points that you need -- I think that 552k points is really high for biz class seats. I also did the Al Maha and it is a wonderful resort, super relaxing with lovely staff. Not sure I'd do 5 nights again, but glad that I tried it once. I gather Marriott points through SUBs and always seem to have enough to get 5 nights at a luxurious property every 18 or 24 months. I pay cash for Marriott stays at lower-priced hotels and use my Marriott AmEx for 6x points. To answer your question, is it worth it? Personally I wouldn't use 552k miles for 2 in Emirates biz class, but there is no right answer -- we all use our points differently, so it's a question only you can answer. I try to book my points seats as soon as the seats that I want drop.

Just got AMAZING value on a 35k bonblah FNC. Using at the STRAF Milan in October -- cash price $715.00; I got for FNC + 14k points. I had the night booked on points, but was able to book using the FNC, then cancelled the points reservation. I have my eye on a nice Marriott property for 2024 or 2025 so need to keep the points that I am amassing after redeeming at the Ritz Carlton Maldives and Al Maha last year.
Thanks for your input, it seems all the dates I have checked are 138,000 per person each way even for the dates that have just come out. Between that and the taxes, I am thinking it’s not worth it.

Has anyone been to Grenada? There is an accredited vet school there that I want dd to tour. She's a bit finicky and is certain that she'll get into a school in the US or maybe the only school here that she can apply to (we have residency restrictions that limit where she can apply). I think the school in Grenada is perfect for her because she can do her Masters and DVM concurrently and she needs her masters for the kind of work that she wants to do (conservation and wildlife vet). I want to visit on her reading week in November but she doesn't want to. So, if anyone here has been and can offer some amazing selling points on the island I'd love to hear them. She'd only be living 3 years there, then back here for her final year.
There's also a medical school there, so there's a large international community of people (and many Americans, I believe) that would be around her age. I spent some time there before a cruise and had a blast at a beach bar called Umbrellas. It was definitely the hangout spot for the twenty-somethings and had I been younger, it would have been even more fun than it was!

Friends of mine did an island tour that day and really enjoyed it, but it was several years ago and the specifics are a little hazy (might have been the rum!) Tell her to take the trip, tour the school, and treat it like the tropical vacation it is if she ends up not wanting to go to school there.

Thanks for your input, it seems all the dates I have checked are 138,000 per person each way even for the dates that have just come out. Between that and the taxes, I am thinking it’s not worth it.
doesnt first get a shower? to me that experience is worth the points :)

You can use the car seat on the plane. We always did.
Love hearing this! As a former flight attendant, I STRONGLY recommend using a car seat on the plane. It drastically reduces the risk of injury for the child in severe turbulence and any emergency. A car goes 70 mph, but the plane is going 150 mph down the runway and 500+ mph in the air. A recent severe turbulence story mentioned injuries to children. Are the odds of injury on a plane lower than in a car, absolutely, but just not worth the risk when paying for the child's seat anyway. And adults should always observe the seat belt sign when in your seat.

Love hearing this! As a former flight attendant, I STRONGLY recommend using a car seat on the plane. It drastically reduces the risk of injury for the child in severe turbulence and any emergency. A car goes 70 mph, but the plane is going 150 mph down the runway and 500+ mph in the air. A recent severe turbulence story mentioned injuries to children. Are the odds of injury on a plane lower than in a car, absolutely, but just not worth the risk when paying for the child's seat anyway. And adults should always observe the seat belt sign when in your seat.
We’ve always used a car seat but ds is so tall. If we put him in the car seat now he kicks the seat in front of us because his legs reach too far

Last edited:
Ah, it's a return flight. I would consider booking flights there on Emirates, then come home using a different points currency, possibly in premium economy to save points. I almost never go and come back on the same airline. For a return flight it's a decent value, but I would try to get first class, if possible, for the shower experience and of course the pajamas ;). Emirates seems to be stingy about releasing first class seats -- I had to stalk their site, then jump on the seat when it opened for the date I wanted.

DS was adopted from China and our flight home (him in car seat) was about 8 hours of turbulence on a 12 hour flight. That and the fact that DS slept over half the flight in his seat made me thankful we lugged the car seat all the way there.

I know someone who just graduated in May from St. George’s university with their masters degree. They really enjoyed their time there. If you need any specifics I’d be glad to ask them.

Haven't been but my sister is a vet and my friend graduated from a caribbean vet school so if you have questions about other schools I am happy to pass them on!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter