• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

For a check in GBP I'd probably go to the branch, just to be sure they deposit in the correct currency. And I hate going in to the bank.

I wouldn't mind going in branch, but I think the fees are going to be the issue. Alliant charges $35 to deposit a non-US check. US Bank told me there's a courier fee and initiation fee, but I need to go in branch to find out how much (sounds expensive). The check is only worth $35, so I guess I might have to keep it as a souvenir lol.

I wouldn't mind going in branch, but I think the fees are going to be the issue. Alliant charges $35 to deposit a non-US check. US Bank told me there's a courier fee and initiation fee, but I need to go in branch to find out how much (sounds expensive). The check is only worth $35, so I guess I might have to keep it as a souvenir lol.
Do you have any credit union memberships you can try and leverage? I'm a member of PenFed and NavyFed, I have asked them both this question out of my own curiosity, I will let you know what they reply to me with.

Do you have any credit union memberships you can try and leverage? I'm a member of PenFed and NavyFed, I have asked them both this question out of my own curiosity, I will let you know what they reply to me with.

Thank you! Alliant is a credit union, I was able to find the $35 fee online. I have one more CU I can ask.

OT-ish but please go to the dermatologist for annual skin checks! As travelers we spent a lot of time outdoors in the sun and if skin cancer is caught early, it can be dealt with easily!
Funny you should post this as I was thinking about this today when I noticed a new little spot on my leg. The last time I went for a skin checkup, the dermatologist told me to come back in 5 years! I thought it was odd at the time, but figured it must be typical. Do most people go every year?

Funny you should post this as I was thinking about this today when I noticed a new little spot on my leg. The last time I went for a skin checkup, the dermatologist told me to come back in 5 years! I thought it was odd at the time, but figured it must be typical. Do most people go every year?
i do. I am overdue now too.

There is some debate about whether annual skin checks save lives. I don’t think most people go every year. Five is probably more common unless you have some issues. I keep an eye on certain areas of my own skin.

Yes, that is exactly what I've read has been done with these offers previously. New Money means money that wasn't being held as a deposit with Chase previously. For instance if you used Chase for your primary banking, using money from that account would not be New Money. Transferring it in from AMEX would be.
Oh I see... thank you so much!

I have an appointment in a couple weeks. I went right before covid and he wanted me back in 6 months... never happened. I went back 6 months ago and am going again now. Everything looks good so far but he measures and notes every little spot.

I wouldn’t say “most people “. If you are high risk( fair, blue eyed, red head, previous blisters sun burns) , then yes, annually probably a good idea. . I go frequently. Right now annually as my Derm hasn’t found much to biopsy lately.

Generally I think annual is recommended. My mom is fairer than I am and has had all kinds of skin cancer so she goes more frequently (maybe every six months). I just went back after not going for ten years and have to go to an an oculofacial plastic surgeon to see about getting a growth on my lower eyelid removed and biopsied (I don't think it's anything but I'd rather get rid of it than keep watching it).

When I lived in NJ, I did not. But since moving to FL in 2006 I go annually as do most people I know here.

Melanoma can potentially be fatal if not caught and treated (a friend lost their father bc of it) and we don’t always notice changes or know what to look for in terms of our skin, so I feel like it’s worth the annual visit.

I am thinking about taking just a carry-on to the Maldives and Scandinavia in September. Part of my plan is buying a few pieces of Merino wool clothing (2 t-shirts, tank top, l/s t-shirt and active-wear l/s for hiking). Does anyone have any pieces? What is the truth about needing to wash? I'm not a sweaty person, but when I workout I do sweat (a lot lol) and I anticipate hiking in Norway will be strenuous. Will it be possible to wear the same t-shirts for several days w/o washing?

Also for those that take carry-on only, how do you do the workout sneakers? I need to take my hiking shoes, so that is what I will wear on the plane. I'll also need sneakers for working out, flip flops for the beach and casual shoes for everyday. That's a lot of shoes! Any shoes that are good for running and also look decent with jeans? Plus I'll be collecting 4 pairs of pajamas (2 first class emirates flights and 1 first and 1 Q-Suite flight with Qatar), but I will be taking a collapsible ABD duffle with me for things that I collect along the way (ahem, amenity kits and pajamas lol).
Do you already have hiking shoes you love? If not, you may want to look at hiking sneakers. They can do double duty so you don't have to take both hiking shoes and sneakers.

Just read an article in The NY Times about restaurants adding fees for paying with a CC. Ran into this myself a few days ago on vacation in Wisconsin. 4% fee if paying by card. I used cash instead. It’s a touristy area.
I’ve decided to stop supporting those establishments. I don’t like being nickel-and-dimed.

I’m also done tipping for crappy service. During COVID I felt bad for those in the service and food industry, and tipped 20% for everything. I’ve gone back to 10% for okay service, 15% for good service and 20% for great service. The service has really gone down hill since COVID.

Just read an article in The NY Times about restaurants adding fees for paying with a CC. Ran into this myself a few days ago on vacation in Wisconsin. 4% fee if paying by card. I used cash instead. It’s a touristy area.
I hope this isn't a trend. A small locally owned bakery near my work charges a % now, but that's the only business around me that I have seen it.

About 5 years ago we rejoined our neighborhood pool/tennis club and spend more time outside in the summer. We started going annually since then. First time I went she found somethings to freeze off But not since. We actually see the PA and I’ve started to wonder if we should see the actual MD because I think the PA does a lot of cosmetic stuff (Botox etc) tho maybe all derms do this now?
I’ve decided to stop supporting those establishments. I don’t like being nickel-and-dimed.

I’m also done tipping for crappy service. During COVID I felt bad for those in the service and food industry, and tipped 20% for everything. I’ve gone back to 10% for okay service, 15% for good service and 20% for great service. The service has really gone down hill since COVID.
We almost always tip > 20% unless service is average. Rarely less than 20% ever. Some places we go to locally still are short staffed. Last night the bartender was covering part of the dining room. Service was slower than normal, but it wasn’t her fault.

I’m not opposed to tip less than 20% but I have to feel confident the service was totally the servers fault.

I am thinking about taking just a carry-on to the Maldives and Scandinavia in September. Part of my plan is buying a few pieces of Merino wool clothing (2 t-shirts, tank top, l/s t-shirt and active-wear l/s for hiking). Does anyone have any pieces? What is the truth about needing to wash? I'm not a sweaty person, but when I workout I do sweat (a lot lol) and I anticipate hiking in Norway will be strenuous. Will it be possible to wear the same t-shirts for several days w/o washing?

Also for those that take carry-on only, how do you do the workout sneakers? I need to take my hiking shoes, so that is what I will wear on the plane. I'll also need sneakers for working out, flip flops for the beach and casual shoes for everyday. That's a lot of shoes! Any shoes that are good for running and also look decent with jeans? Plus I'll be collecting 4 pairs of pajamas (2 first class emirates flights and 1 first and 1 Q-Suite flight with Qatar), but I will be taking a collapsible ABD duffle with me for things that I collect along the way (ahem, amenity kits and pajamas lol).

I think the shirts do work, but I worry about them feeling itchy (DH has one that he wears with an underlayer - without that it's itchy). I know lots of people don't have issues with that, though. DD doesn't have any issue with the merino shirts.

I will 2nd or 3rd the baselayers for a trip like this. It also can cut down on washing. We found that the "technical" fabrics also hand wash well and dry very quickly.

We did carry-on this summer in the Med - it was easier than our trip to Norway, but it's always tight for that long of a trip. For Norway, I brought regular running shoes and waterproof ones (needed those a lot). Unlike other parts of Europe, wearing North Face/REI/Lululemon type clothes is really common. You don't need to dress up to fit in with the locals. And remember to bring layers, layers, layers.

Shoes are the toughest part of the carry-on packing for me. I generally bring flip flops and a pair of thin (easy to pack) ballet flats along with my tennis shoes. Oh, and I learned from a friend to bring older running shoes that are still good, but don't have much life left in them. That way I don't have to bring them back home (making more room in my suitcase).

I was in Norway for a week in early September a few years ago. It was often cold and rainy, but there were also some sunny days. Just be prepared for it all. ;)

I hope this helps.

Do you already have hiking shoes you love? If not, you may want to look at hiking sneakers. They can do double duty so you don't have to take both hiking shoes and sneakers.
I do! I bought them for Peru and I find that I enjoy the stability that they offer when I'm hiking. I could rent shoes or boots in Norway, but I don't want to have to deal with blisters on the kind of hikes that I am doing.

I think the shirts do work, but I worry about them feeling itchy (DH has one that he wears with an underlayer - without that it's itchy). I know lots of people don't have issues with that, though. DD doesn't have any issue with the merino shirts.

I will 2nd or 3rd the baselayers for a trip like this. It also can cut down on washing. We found that the "technical" fabrics also hand wash well and dry very quickly.

We did carry-on this summer in the Med - it was easier than our trip to Norway, but it's always tight for that long of a trip. For Norway, I brought regular running shoes and waterproof ones (needed those a lot). Unlike other parts of Europe, wearing North Face/REI/Lululemon type clothes is really common. You don't need to dress up to fit in with the locals. And remember to bring layers, layers, layers.

Shoes are the toughest part of the carry-on packing for me. I generally bring flip flops and a pair of thin (easy to pack) ballet flats along with my tennis shoes. Oh, and I learned from a friend to bring older running shoes that are still good, but don't have much life left in them. That way I don't have to bring them back home (making more room in my suitcase).

I was in Norway for a week in early September a few years ago. It was often cold and rainy, but there were also some sunny days. Just be prepared for it all. ;)

I hope this helps.
I have plenty of base layers from years and years of skiing. I thought about trying to cut down on packing and use Merino wool items instead of packing base layers (I don't think many of the ones that I own would look good as stand-alone pieces, unlike some of the Unbound pieces I am eyeing). But the cost of Merino is holding me back.

We almost always tip > 20% unless service is average. Rarely less than 20% ever. Some places we go to locally still are short staffed. Last night the bartender was covering part of the dining room. Service was slower than normal, but it wasn’t her fault.

I’m not opposed to tip less than 20% but I have to feel confident the service was totally the servers fault.
I am okay tipping 20% at establishments where service warrants it, but I won't do it at cafes where I am basically serving myself (I tip a token amount). People here are getting upset at the 'new' tipping etiquette -- some restaurants have 22% as the lowest amount, which I think is excessive. I tipped 20% after my pedi this morning and the girl gave me a look to indicate she didn't approve. Tipping culture is becoming a hot topic here. Yes, I did tip more during and just after COVID, but unless it's warranted I don't feel the need to tip excessively any longer. Actually I rarely eat out because the cost has gone up SO much in the past few years.

My pedicure place has started this - 3% fee. It makes me sad but they are my favorite and I’ve been going there for over 15 years, so I whipped out the cash today.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter