I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

The most difficult part of travel hacking is convincing P2 of more trips.
We have a Marriott FNC and 2 companion passes which means we should definitely take a one night trip to Disney World to attend the MVMCP, but he doesn’t think it’s worth the travel time for just one night.
Also, where would you all stay? Swan/dolphin not an option. Preferably somewhere that has shuttle services.
JW Bonnet Creek? I’m not familiar with the Marriott options.
Trying to convince DH to go 12/8 party.

Finally had enough Hilton points for five nights at the Hilton Tokyo. Still need to figure out a few nights for Disney. I do have a room in Osaka (one of the Miramus) but I may change that if I go the Chase Marriott with five nights offer.

Tomorrow they begin taking down 21 trees (and grinding the stumps) in my backyard. I guess I should enjoy the peace and quiet today. Trying to stay busy with my dad (not a great situation) and DS who is very slowly adjusting to being away from home. I miss him like crazy but he's also driving me insane.
Sorry to hear the update on your Dad but glad to hear the update on your son. I'm in the process right now of dropping oldest DD off at college 10 hours away and I worry about her being so far away. I know I shouldn't as she's been away a lot for weeks at a time and has no problem meeting people. I think it seems from how I felt initially when I went away and was 18 hours from home. It was still a great decision that I made, I know I can handle anything on my own and that is priceless as an adult.

I'd like to help my daughter with her first adult credit card.
She graduated college in May and starts Disney College Program next month. She has had a student Discover card which she pays fully and is a AU on one of my cards. Her credit score is very good.
She is frugal in some ways (Aldi groceries, thrift store clothes) but also likes good coffee, traveling, restaurants and quality skincare/makeup.
I think the Chase Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex but I don't know which to pick. She does not think she can meet the Sapphire SUB minimum spend. I could help with that, but I'm not sure of approval since her work history/income is summer jobs up to this point and she hasn't actually started at WDW.

Any suggestions for her?
My DD got the CFU as her second card (first with Chase). I thought it was better than the Flex for her since she wasn't going to meet those category spends on the Flex and the 1.5 on everything makes it simple. Hope this helps.

The most difficult part of travel hacking is convincing P2 of more trips.
We have a Marriott FNC and 2 companion passes which means we should definitely take a one night trip to Disney World to attend the MVMCP, but he doesn’t think it’s worth the travel time for just one night.
Also, where would you all stay? Swan/dolphin not an option. Preferably somewhere that has shuttle services.
JW Bonnet Creek? I’m not familiar with the Marriott options.
Trying to convince DH to go 12/8 party.
I can’t help with Marriott advice, but you and my DH are peas in a pod. Mine is like “hey let’s go to WDW for a day!” WTH? We live in Arizona. We can’t just fly to Orlando for 1 day. He’s alway like “why not?” I’m not quite that ambitious. I need a couple of days to recover from the travel time. He says I’m a buzzkill 😂

I can’t help with Marriott advice, but you and my DH are peas in a pod. Mine is like “hey let’s go to WDW for a day!” WTH? We live in Arizona. We can’t just fly to Orlando for 1 day. He’s alway like “why not?” I’m not quite that ambitious. I need a couple of days to recover from the travel time. He says I’m a buzzkill 😂
My husband and your husband should get together. He'll be like there's a great band at the food and wine let's go for a night......WTH it's a four-hour flight... I need at least a week's vacation or forget it. My husband can fall asleep anytime and anywhere. A plane ride is just a nap for him. I'm just not wired that way.

My husband and your husband should get together. He'll be like there's a great band at the food and wine let's go for a night......WTH it's a four-hour flight... I need at least a week's vacation or forget it. My husband can fall asleep anytime and anywhere. A plane ride is just a nap for him. I'm just not wired that way.

Curious to you and others. I realize flying does add more than just flying time, but would you drive 4 to 6 hours from home for one night to attend an event?

Feel like people are more likely to drive for something like that but not fly, also why I extended it to 6 since it's still doable and accounts for some of the airport time.

I had an AP the last time there was "strong" rumors of country bears getting closed and I said then I'd take the red eye Fri night and fly home sun if they announced it was going to close while I had my AP. But without the AP it just gets too expensive even with miles.

Hiya Dis-ies!!!

Talk me into it… I’m still new at this and I’m looking at that 100k elevated Chase Ink preferred offer, and with a referral from P2, that would be an extra 40k… but I’m choking on the $95 AF… the 8k spend would be a bit of a stretch, but do-able…compared to the 15k MSR, it’s at least POSSIBLE… Logically I recognize that it’s a net win, but emotionally I’m still allergic to AFs…

So, opinions? please and thank you

Hiya Dis-ies!!!

Talk me into it… I’m still new at this and I’m looking at that 100k elevated Chase Ink preferred offer, and with a referral from P2, that would be an extra 40k… but I’m choking on the $95 AF… the 8k spend would be a bit of a stretch, but do-able…compared to the 15k MSR, it’s at least POSSIBLE… Logically I recognize that it’s a net win, but emotionally I’m still allergic to AFs…

You could easily take 9,500 points and cash it out to cover the cost of the AF and still have 138,000 points from that one SUB.

Hiya Dis-ies!!!

Like @becauseimnew stated you could use the URs to pay the AF. I am also AF-averse. I have two cards with $95 AFs. I use my Discover IT cash back to pay for those AFs and I will probably downgrading one come Oct.

I am waiting for the CSP to have an elevated offer and then DH will apply for it with my referral. I will do the same - use Discover IT cash back to pay for the AF.

Curious to you and others. I realize flying does add more than just flying time, but would you drive 4 to 6 hours from home for one night to attend an event?
I did this last weekend. Got up at 0600, drove 5 hours to my tribe's pow wow with the kids, stayed for 10 hours, crashed in a horrible hotel for 7 hours and then drove the 5 hours back home for a kids event.

I would consider flying for one day for a big event, but the cost has to make sense. Of course I fly multiple times a year out on Friday morning and back on Sunday for my side hustle.

Feel like people are more likely to drive for something like that but not fly, also why I extended it to 6 since it's still doable and accounts for some of the airport time.

I had an AP the last time there was "strong" rumors of country bears getting closed and I said then I'd take the red eye Fri night and fly home sun if they announced it was going to close while I had my AP. But without the AP it just gets too expensive even with miles.
Yeah I’d drive. To a four flight add a couple hours of communizing to airport plus the stress of delays and cancellation, 3 hour time zone change. Also just the discomfort of flying. If I I was first class maybe I’d consider it.

Yes, I would and have. I'd drive distances like that for dog shows back when I used to show Golden Retrievers. It really would depend on the event nowadays. I'd absolutely drive 6 hours to go see Taylor Swift. We've driven the 3 hours to WDW and 3 hours back on the same day to attend an event. So 6 driving hours and staying the night is more than doable for the right event.

Chase Saphire reserve question. DD used her
Hiya Dis-ies!!!

I'm the opposite of you...I never let a big AF deter me from getting a really good SUB. Also, this card will pay for global entry (if you don't have it or a loved one doesn't). It's at least a one year keeper.

Last edited:

Yeah we drive that distance all the time for our kids' sporting events.

We live 3.5 hrs from Charleston, and 4 hrs from Hilton Head. We often drive over in the morning... get there by 10, spend the day at the beach, and leave by 6 or 7 to drive back home. It's a long day but it's worth it. Sometimes we'll stay over, but with the dogs it's difficult to stay in a hotel, one of them barks at EVERYTHING. They do really well on day trips to the beach... they sleep the drive there, play and get worn out when we're there, so then they sleep the whole ride back too.

We live in NC and I absolutely love Disney nighttime spectaculars. Last April we took a weekend to go to Disneyland to see Wondrous Journeys, the 100th anniversary fireworks show. We're actually going to be at DL for almost a week in December, but by then they'll have the holidays show, so we had to go. And it's only a 15 min show, lol. Flew 6.5 hrs Friday night, were at the parks all day Saturday and saw both Wondrous Journeys and DL's Fantasmic that same night. Even got a spot right in front of the castle for the former. Then flew home Sunday mid-morning. I am so glad we did this, too, because it was a week before the dragon burnt down and so we got to see that show before it went on hiatus and will likely not get the dragon back.

In Sep we're taking a weekend to attend Halloween Horror nights in Orlando. Flying Sat morning, back Sunday night. Using the Amex FHR for one night at Portofino. We did the same last September. Thanks, SW CP!

Sooo totally willing to fly across the country for basically a day trip. We actually do a weekend trip somewhere every month, in addition to our longer vacations. So much to see just a flight away! Love this hobby.

I’m a complete newbie to the credit card points game. However, I’ve been following this thread for several months and I’ve listened to a number of podcasts regarding credit card points for travel.

Yesterday, I broke down and applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Got approved immediately.

The main reason now: We are doing some landscaping to our front yard. We already have the funds, but a $3,000 landscaping project on the CSP will do a lot toward reach a $4,000 minimum spend.

The landscapers want $1,000 now. I realize I won’t get the card for another week. But the account is open. I put the card in my Apple Pay wallet. The card in the wallet shows the last four digits only. Is that normal? Will I just have to suck it up and just put the remaining $2,000 on the card?

Also, is there a way to find out my credit card number? Again, I have the funds, but I want to buy SW airfare. I found some reasonably priced airfare for February to visit my daughter in Houston.

As always, many thanks.

I’m a complete newbie to the credit card points game. However, I’ve been following this thread for several months and I’ve listened to a number of podcasts regarding credit card points for travel.

Yesterday, I broke down and applied for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Got approved immediately.

The main reason now: We are doing some landscaping to our front yard. We already have the funds, but a $3,000 landscaping project on the CSP will do a lot toward reach a $4,000 minimum spend.

The landscapers want $1,000 now. I realize I won’t get the card for another week. But the account is open. I put the card in my Apple Pay wallet. The card in the wallet shows the last four digits only. Is that normal? Will I just have to suck it up and just put the remaining $2,000 on the card?

Also, is there a way to find out my credit card number? Again, I have the funds, but I want to buy SW airfare. I found some reasonably priced airfare for February to visit my daughter in Houston.

As always, many thanks.
Call them to have the card expedited. If you call this morning, you should have it by Friday. I don't have DH's CSP on me but the number on the back of my CSR is 800-436-7970.

Call them to have the card expedited. If you call this morning, you should have it by Friday. I don't have DH's CSP on me but the number on the back of my CSR is 800-436-7970.
Don’t have time. The contract on the landscaping agreement is good through tomorrow. I’ll see if they take Apple Pay. If not, I’ll suck it up.

Speaking of which, SW takes Apple Pay. Will I get the points if I buy now? Will I get the travel points?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter