I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Speaking of impulsivity- my IHG certificate posted one week earlier than I could use it for its planned use next year. I tested some other options but nothing was close to the 40k points.

We have also been debating when to do the 3-4 hour round trip drive to finish our last state parks on our list (doing every state park in one spring/summer). This morning I realized IHG just opened a new hotel near where the last few state parks on our list is. My husband was just *thrilled* I booked a trip with less than 24 hours notice lol. But! Great use of a certificate I was having a hard time finding use for otherwise. That room is $300, and it cost me the $95 AF of the card basically. Plus now we can take our time and not do both ways of the drive on the same day.
I wish I had my IHG free night certificate. Just booked a Holiday Inn Express in Ashtabula Ohio for the night of the eclipse in April- 33,000 pts! We’ve been procrastinating making plans and prices are high. I lived there for 7 years as a child so a nostalgia trip to the shores of Lake Erie for me.

I agree with pp--either open a no AF every day to keep your MR open if you're AF adverse...or down grade your gold to the green and save $100 if you don't want to pay the $250 AF. Or, if you have any sort of business or "business" then the Blue Business Preferred earns 2X on everything (up to $50K spend, annually) and has no AF-hard to beat and holds your MRs.

Now, my favorite topic, which I haven't expounded on here for a while...Why MRs are Completely Underrated by Most of the UR Fans of This Thread!

MRs transfer to SO many airlines!

If you're an American Airlines fan, you can use MRs via British Airways-I've flown my mother back and forth to her sister's in Phoenix, for example, using BA and there is often an MR transfer bonus (currently 30% until the end of the month!).

United has representation via the Star Alliance reps of AeroPlan (Air Canada), Singapore, and ANA. People who are comfortable booking with them get some great values and impressive redemptions. I'm more of a SkyTeam Alliance girl myself so...I do not (but it's very possible :) ).

I will acknowledge that Amex passes on the taxes and fees for transferring MRs to domestic carriers. That stinks, I get it...but they do set a maximum of $99 and it's only for Delta, Hawaiian and JetBlue transfers.

I've flown business class from the US to Dublin on Aer Lingus (EI), Delta (DL) to London, Edinburgh, Madrid (and other places I've forgotten), and first class to London on British Airways (BA) thanks to MRs.

Flying home, I've been on KLM out of Amsterdam and Air France out of Paris multiple times. Intra Europe, I've utilized EI, KLM, and AF as well as Iberia, all with the assistance of MRs. Granted, URs also transfer to these airline programs but the transfer bonuses are very generous and more frequent.

Hotel wise, MRs transfer to both Hilton, Choice, and Marriott and again, this is another place where the complementary aspect of overlapping programs with URs shines-often the bonus will follow (or precede) the UR bonus so if you're short a few Bonvoy points, it's possible to top off. If you're not a Hilton or Choice hotels fan, then I can't sell you on that program (I get it, I'm not).

In short, if you want international flights, MRs can get you there. If you are interested in flying to Hawaii, MRs can assist with that. If you want other domestic flights...ditto.

Hotels are also an option, as are topping off various and sundry programs. While the cashing out option isn't strong at all unless you hold the pricey Charles Schwab (or Morgan Stanley) personal platinum, there are still ways to find value with MRs.

I like to think of URs and MRs as complementary- not either/or, btw, working hand in hand to assist in more comfortable and frequent travel to places I've been and loved and enjoy returning or to far flung places I dreamed about long ago💕🏰

Now stepping off my soapbox...it's been a while...
Ok, you've all convinced me, I'll open another MR card so I can maintain my MR balance! Thanks for providing all this information, Europe and Hawaii are definitely on our bucket lists, so hopefully they will be put to good use in the not-too-distant future!

Sounds like the Blue Business Preferred might be my best bet. I do have a "business" and have Chase Ink cards for it. Is the process roughly the same applying for Amex cards as a sole proprietorship?

Dh has a lot of MRs and I'm an AU on his card (from a long time ago); I think I read a while ago that he could transfer to one of my airline accounts as long as I am an AU (same last name). Has anyone ever tried this?

Yes, at one point in time, DH and DD were both AUs on my account and I added their Delta SkyMiles accounts as well as DH's BA account to my MR account. Now, whenever I go to cash out MRs all of their accounts are listed as transfer options as well as mine so I have to be alert-I'm never feeling that generous, lol.
I believe the accounts have to be "seasoned" so this is something you'll want to do way ahead of time, since you might not be able to do it last minute, IIRC. Otherwise, it's easy peasy. If he has a lot, I'd be linking ALL my accounts to his as his AU🤣.

What is your favorite way to find the best international flights using MR partners?

I start with google flights or skyscanner in to a region, then an airline (or two) and then I go to their website and do lot of award searches to guesstimate the number of miles required for the award tickets. I always do the searches myself because I believe no one cares more about my vacation than I do ...and I'm much like Sheldon--I'm very particular about seats/plane types, etc. No way would I trust anyone to book that for me. For the most part, certain airlines like BA release inventory at certain times- 355 days ahead of departure date is likely the best time to try to get business class seats, whereas others, like Lufthansa sometimes releases first class seats a week out (🤷‍♀️).
For my peace of mind, I start looking for most award bookings around 365 days, knowing full well the seats won't be released but ensuring I have the points/miles in place and by then and then being prepared is just good planning so when day 359 (KLM/AF), 355 (AeroPlan/ANA/BA), 337 (United) or 331 (DL/AA) hits, I'm prepared!

I also have a back up plan (or two) in case there aren't 2 seats (or one, if I'm flying solo), the route I want isn't flying, etc or the award price has gone up. It does happen!

Ok, you've all convinced me, I'll open another MR card so I can maintain my MR balance! Thanks for providing all this information, Europe and Hawaii are definitely on our bucket lists, so hopefully they will be put to good use in the not-too-distant future!

Sounds like the Blue Business Preferred might be my best bet. I do have a "business" and have Chase Ink cards for it. Is the process roughly the same applying for Amex cards as a sole proprietorship?
Oh, that's good. Yes, the sole prop business card app is very similar and amex is very supportive of small business :)

When I get a loaner from the dealership it's a 15 yr old Corolla; I don't make any plans for those days because it's such an old-school car -- think crank windows and doors that swing all the way open (remember those lol). Had the loaner yesterday because both mine and dd's cars were in the shop (it was her day off) -- neither of us used it!
Car will be paid for with cash. Leaning towards the new car, mostly because the dealership seems a bit shady (they advertised it with 3.5k miles less than what it has, said it had 2 fobs and it only has 1 -- they would have to provide 2 because I had them put in writing that it had 2 fobs, said it had adaptive cruise control, now it doesn't). It's leaving me with a nagging bad feeling.
Go with your gut! This info changes everything in my opinion.

What is your favorite way to find the best international flights using MR partners? We've got 200k+ MRs and would like to do biz class seats next fall (2024) to either LHR, somewhere in Italy, or somewhere in Switzerland (we'd probably fly back economy). It seems like there a dozen ways to use transfers and alliance and my eyes are glazed over. Do people do all the footwork themselves or do they use subscriptions like Thrifty Traveler or Point.Me? My window will open in a couple of months and I'm trying to get prepared, lol. We flew Aer Lingus to DUB this summer and that was very simple to do via Avios points because the # of points is fixed, just had to grab a flight that had award seats (which was simple and available for the date we wanted).
I usually read some bloggers to find the best airline for the city I want to fly into, then start playing with booking on their websites to see how many seats open. About a week before I need to book I move the points over and note how long the transfer takes (just in case I need to top up when the date arrives). I am a few years into churning so I have points with a few different airlines (AA, Singapore, AP and BA) that I can use as well as URs (but only if necessary), MRs and Cap 1 points. Dh flies a lot so a significant amount of the AP and AA miles are from his spend with them (he pays cash and only flies biz class (silly man has no interest in this hobby).

For some reason I thought you were headed back to give WA Los Cabos another whirl? That would be a great use of the FNC.

I've heard the WA Amsterdam IS bucket list worthy. You can do a free alert with StaywithPoints.
That's a contender, but I have to wait until January to book since they also release nights close to the dates. Since dd's reading week aligns with President's Day (I think), it seems unlikely that she and I will be getting nights on points at the WA Cabo. Plus I keep talking myself in and out of going back -- it would be nice to use the FNCs for travel that's already booked.

Do I need a membership with StaywithPoints to do a free alert? Is there a limit to how many trips I can set alerts for?

What is your favorite way to find the best international flights using MR partners? We've got 200k+ MRs and would like to do biz class seats next fall (2024) to either LHR, somewhere in Italy, or somewhere in Switzerland (we'd probably fly back economy). It seems like there a dozen ways to use transfers and alliance and my eyes are glazed over. Do people do all the footwork themselves or do they use subscriptions like Thrifty Traveler or Point.Me? My window will open in a couple of months and I'm trying to get prepared, lol. We flew Aer Lingus to DUB this summer and that was very simple to do via Avios points because the # of points is fixed, just had to grab a flight that had award seats (which was simple and available for the date we wanted).
I think both of those methods are used by people on here, it's just a personal preference. I am in the do it myself camp and have been very successful for my last two Europe trips (Aug 2022 and May 2023). My strategy is to start looking around 6-8 months out and I check every airline I would be able to use with my pts. I do it every day, usually in the evening after work (or at least most days). You will start to see the price ranges after a week or two, especially the bargain pts rates. Those come and go on every airline I've ever checked. Regardless of how far out you start checking, book as soon as you see a price that you are comfortable with.

I still haven't gotten anything on my application beyond the "fraud" phone call and letter... no card has magically appeared in my account... so I am super stressing.

It wouldn't be the end of the world as far as not getting that specific card, but it would be a serious blow to my self esteem!
I’m also still waiting on my Boundless app - applied last Friday and my status message still says we will let you know in “2 weeks”. The Chase flowcharts tell me this is good news but it’s driving me nuts!!

Anybody here got the Thrifty Traveler Premium+ subscription last year at the special $35 rate? I liked that price. My renewal price is $59.99, due in two days. At least I'm locked into that rate (which is lower than the current $89.99) if I keep the subscription, but not sure if I get enough value. Not sure what to do, what are others doing?

I usually read some bloggers to find the best airline for the city I want to fly into, then start playing with booking on their websites to see how many seats open. About a week before I need to book I move the points over and note how long the transfer takes (just in case I need to top up when the date arrives). I am a few years into churning so I have points with a few different airlines (AA, Singapore, AP and BA) that I can use as well as URs (but only if necessary), MRs and Cap 1 points. Dh flies a lot so a significant amount of the AP and AA miles are from his spend with them (he pays cash and only flies biz class (silly man has no interest in this hobby).

That's a contender, but I have to wait until January to book since they also release nights close to the dates. Since dd's reading week aligns with President's Day (I think), it seems unlikely that she and I will be getting nights on points at the WA Cabo. Plus I keep talking myself in and out of going back -- it would be nice to use the FNCs for travel that's already booked.

Do I need a membership with StaywithPoints to do a free alert? Is there a limit to how many trips I can set alerts for?
You do have to sign up with StaywithPoints, but you can login with google, if that's preferred. You get one free alert, which is either a single date, consecutive dates or an alert by month.

I also never seem to be able to use FNCs for travel that's already booked- somehow I'm inspired to find a new trip to use them on! :rotfl2:

We were back at the WA Los Cabos Pedregal in July and I actually booked 3 rooms, all on points and FNCs. Our room was upgraded to the Estrella Suite, which was simply magical. It was super private and had a corner infinity pool on the top floor in the building closest to the ocean, with sun loungers and firepit. On our last trip I was a bit mixed, but this stay was simply over the top. We can't wait to return. Our adult kids and their SOs joined, and they could not stop gushing about the service. My son's gf said that we've ruined hotels for them and also that she can never get a divorce (lol, they aren't even married yet).

Anybody here got the Thrifty Traveler Premium+ subscription last year at the special $35 rate? I liked that price. My renewal price is $59.99, due in two days. At least I'm locked into that rate (which is lower than the current $89.99) if I keep the subscription, but not sure if I get enough value. Not sure what to do, what are others doing?
Mine doesn’t expire until October but should also renew at $59.99. I think I’m going to let mine go when the time comes. P2 doesn’t have a ton of flexibility in his job where spontaneous travel is really possible - and I feel like that’s necessary for TT to be worth it.

I got in at $35 too. I didn't renew it since I'm planned a year out, so it's hard to take advantage. I did like it while it lasted though. It's good to see what's possible and I've kept most of the award booking e-mails.

Thank goodness for global entry! Ds didn’t sleep the entire 9 hour flight. He didn’t sleep until around 11 pm Munich time. I have no idea how he stayed up so long. When we landed we were exhausted and the customs line was really long. Luckily we were the only ones in the global entry line. Scanned our faces and went to baggage claim. We all woke up early today around 4:30-5 am and have to sit around for our flight home. We had a good trip but I’m so ready to be in my own house.

I have a lot of pages to catch up on! Been reading sporadically as we’ve had a busy summer at work. I’m heading back over to Germany in September with DH to help DD and her family with the move back to the USA. This time, we are planning to use military aircraft to get us from either BWI or Dover Air Force Base to Ramstein. I’ve been kind of spoiled booking lie flat seats on United to get to Frankfurt. The flights from BWI are chartered commercial planes with meal service and flight attendants, while the big gray planes from Dover are for cargo. Passengers are secondary but the trip is free. Seating is a bit more austere on some of the flights though if there’s room, you can have a lie flat spot! See photos! 😂 We are giving ourselves a few days to try standby to get to Germany. I have family in Baltimore to stay with. We hope to be on the same chartered commercial plane as our DD and her family going back to BWI. They will be traveling with 2 kids under 2 and 2 cats in carriers that will go under their seats. I do have backup tickets on United from Frankfurt to Dulles for DH and I for the return if needed. So I haven’t really made any plans for the week we are in Germany until just now. Booked a day trip to Munich for the opening parade of Octoberfest. It’s been on my bucket list to do that and the timing worked out. Bus transportation from Ramstein R/T and the parade has been provided, but I will need to make a beer tent reservation. Has anyone attended? We are older (60’s) so looking for great entertainment. We’re not much into drinking, though I don’t mind beer. Since we don’t know our arrival dates, I’m not planning to book hotels until we get to Germany. We would normally stay at our DD’s, but they have to move out of their house to live on base in temporary housing that last week. Anyway, I love reading updates from this group and have learned so much about travel hacking here! We are using SWA points and a CP to get us from Houston Hobby to BWI and back. I love free travel! 😍

Attachments

• IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2215.jpeg
    IMG_2215.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 36
Mine doesn’t expire until October but should also renew at $59.99. I think I’m going to let mine go when the time comes. P2 doesn’t have a ton of flexibility in his job where spontaneous travel is really possible - and I feel like that’s necessary for TT to be worth it.

I got in at $35 too. I didn't renew it since I'm planned a year out, so it's hard to take advantage. I did like it while it lasted though. It's good to see what's possible and I've kept most of the award booking e-mails.
Sometimes the deals are almost for a year out, but often 6 months or so. So same for me, hard to use because of that. But we did use one deal, 37K avios for J seats to Barcelona via Madrid next May on Iberia. That was about 10-11 months out.

BTW, there's always the free version...

You do have to sign up with StaywithPoints, but you can login with google, if that's preferred. You get one free alert, which is either a single date, consecutive dates or an alert by month.

I also never seem to be able to use FNCs for travel that's already booked- somehow I'm inspired to find a new trip to use them on! :rotfl2:

We were back at the WA Los Cabos Pedregal in July and I actually booked 3 rooms, all on points and FNCs. Our room was upgraded to the Estrella Suite, which was simply magical. It was super private and had a corner infinity pool on the top floor in the building closest to the ocean, with sun loungers and firepit. On our last trip I was a bit mixed, but this stay was simply over the top. We can't wait to return. Our adult kids and their SOs joined, and they could not stop gushing about the service. My son's gf said that we've ruined hotels for them and also that she can never get a divorce (lol, they aren't even married yet).
How far out did you book the rooms at the WA Cabos? I would like to go back, esp since I will have 4 FNCs (3 nights didn't feel long enough for such a long way to go).

Forgot to mention that I also tried to book the Hilton Paris Opera for my December trip and it doesn't have any rooms either.

I’m also still waiting on my Boundless app - applied last Friday and my status message still says we will let you know in “2 weeks”. The Chase flowcharts tell me this is good news but it’s driving me nuts!!
Well shoot. I finally had to call and the auto response is 7-10 days. That's not good then! Wow. I've never been denied for a card.

Well shoot. I finally had to call and the auto response is 7-10 days. That's not good then! Wow. I've never been denied for a card.
If you’re willing I would strongly recommend speaking to a human. Since you received those fraud alerts I’m assuming speaking to them might be required. I think it’s worth a shot. I’ve always had friendly/easy interactions when calling Chase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter