I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

This is great! Thank you! I think we need to look at the other cruise lines. Since we’ve only done a Disney cruise that’s the only experience I have and I remember there not being a ton of play areas for kids his age. It sounds like some of the others have awesome things to offer! He would love the carousel or trampoline park. He likes character meet and greets but he doesn’t actively ask to do them.

Maybe I can get dh on board (no pun intended lol) if we find one with ports he likes. I think he doesn’t like getting on and off the ship and would rather stay put somewhere. But again the only cruise we did was to the Caribbean and we’re not huge beach people so I don’t think it was a good fit for us
When DS was little, we did Disney and he absolutely the club despite being a clingy boy. We now do RCCL and they’re definitely so much to do. Especially on the bigger ships with the carousel, younger kid water play area and more. Many times we don’t even get off at port and just enjoy the quiet ship.

Crazy question- I am taking DS to his first college football this weekend at the University of Alabama. He is hoping to go college there next year. Has anyone been and have any advice? I have never been to a college game so this is brand new territory. Roll Tide!
Tennessee girl/fan so I will not join you in the roll tide lol BUT we have been to many many SEC football games. Are you going to the Texas game? That is going to be intense. It will be FUN. But, be prepared. Arrive several hours early. Yes, several. If you aren't staying in walking distance then add hours to that several so you can get parking easily. It will be loud and chaotic but honestly most fans at most may do some mild trash talk but they won't get rude or anything. (And I hate Texas more then Bama so I'll root for a win for him for his maybe future alma mater!).

Crazy question- I am taking DS to his first college football this weekend at the University of Alabama. He is hoping to go college there next year. Has anyone been and have any advice? I have never been to a college game so this is brand new territory. Roll Tide!

Tennessee girl/fan so I will not join you in the roll tide lol BUT we have been to many many SEC football games. Are you going to the Texas game? That is going to be intense. It will be FUN. But, be prepared. Arrive several hours early. Yes, several. If you aren't staying in walking distance then add hours to that several so you can get parking easily. It will be loud and chaotic but honestly most fans at most may do some mild trash talk but they won't get rude or anything. (And I hate Texas more then Bama so I'll root for a win for him for his maybe future alma mater!).
As a grad of another SEC school, I second what @orangecuse said. Hopefully stay within walking distance, get there hours early and if you've never been to an SEC game before it will be something that you've never seen before. Walk around the tailgates to soak up some of the atmosphere. DD has a few friends that go there and we went to a game down there a few years ago, lots of fun.

We are also not beach people so we usually find places where we can do something else! One of the tricks I use to evaluate ports is to look up each port of call followed by "carnival shore excursions". Carnival doesnt require you to be booked/logged jn to see their lists for each port and most cruise lines offer similar things so you can get an idea. Another option is cruisecritic and searching the ports there (also don't need to be logged in). A mass aggregator site like cruises.com will also let you search multiple lines at once while filtering by date and destination.
Dh found out his sister might be cruising near Italy next year so we might tag along with them. It depends if dh has enough vacation since we’re already doing 3 weeks in Japan. They’re the only family we have that really travels anywhere so we asked them if they had any trips planned. They’re looking at royal Caribbean.

Otherwise, we’re looking at doing some long weekend trips in the states over holiday weekends. Not sure yet where to go

Wear bama gear and you will have no problems. You will have a great time since I'm sure they have a fantastic atmosphire. College football games are a blast to see in person because they are often THE event in the college town hosting the game. However, you might want to avoid the student sections -just for your own sanity given he might be sitting there next year.:)

I'm thinking about cancelling my Chase SW card as I rarely fly Sw anymore. The $99 annual fee posted on 9/1/23 and I received my 6000 rapid rewards points. If I cancel will I get a prorated annual fee back? What happens to the 6000 RR points? Do they get taken back?

I'm thinking about cancelling my Chase SW card as I rarely fly Sw anymore. The $99 annual fee posted on 9/1/23 and I received my 6000 rapid rewards points. If I cancel will I get a prorated annual fee back? What happens to the 6000 RR points? Do they get taken back?
You can cancel now and get the full AF refunded. The 6k RR points are yours to keep. You can cancel via secure message if you prefer, over calling.

Thanks! Yes, the Texas game. I was able to book the Home2Suites in Tuscaloosa. I stayed at the Embassy Suites in July but it is sold out and H2S had rooms going for $1100 a night or 60k. Probably the best Hilton redemption never. So it will be a bit of a hike but so would on-site parking.

We are playing into Atlanta so we have a bit of a drive. It was a last minute decision to throw this trip together and total surprise for DS.

I am excited to go. For what tickets will cost, I am going to consider this an early Christmas gift

Dh found out his sister might be cruising near Italy next year so we might tag along with them. It depends if dh has enough vacation since we’re already doing 3 weeks in Japan. They’re the only family we have that really travels anywhere so we asked them if they had any trips planned. They’re looking at royal Caribbean.

Otherwise, we’re looking at doing some long weekend trips in the states over holiday weekends. Not sure yet where to go
We did RCCL Med this summer from Barcelona and had an AMAZING trip. We are still talking about it 3 months later. We saw many families with young kids on the ship. If you go during the summer be prepared for the heat. It feel like you didn’t leave FL. We were lucky it was only in the mid 90s during our visit to Pompeii. The next week was in the 100s and there is no shade there.

American changed DS' flight home for Thanksgiving. They moved it up and he would have to miss a class which I'm not comfortable with. Of course the other options aren't great.
Is this the week of Thanksgiving or the week before? If it's the week of Thanksgiving, there's a decent chance that the professor will cancel the class. It's possible it's already on the syllabus as cancelled. I'd ask your son to check the syllabus and maybe book a cancellable backup in case the class doesn't get cancelled, but after four kids I'd say odds are good that the class will be cancelled if it's the week of Thanksgiving.

We did RCCL Med this summer from Barcelona and had an AMAZING trip. We are still talking about it 3 months later. We saw many families with young kids on the ship. If you go during the summer be prepared for the heat. It feel like you didn’t leave FL. We were lucky it was only in the mid 90s during our visit to Pompeii. The next week was in the 100s and there is no shade there.
Oh yuck that heat doesn’t sound fun. We aren’t for sure we’ll go unless we can get a direct flight from somewhere in Florida. We looked at flights to Rome and didn’t see anything. I didn’t look at Barcelona though. It’s good to know you loved it!

ETA: I see some to Barcelona that are direct but I didn’t realize it’s an 11 hour flight. Yikes. Our flights to Japan are so long and I’m not sure I’ll be ready to do it again a few months later

Last edited:

You can cancel now and get the full AF refunded. The 6k RR points are yours to keep. You can cancel via secure message if you prefer, over calling.

You can also use your two EBCI before cancelling, if you or someone you know has SW flights currently booked.

Thanks! Yes, the Texas game. I was able to book the Home2Suites in Tuscaloosa. I stayed at the Embassy Suites in July but it is sold out and H2S had rooms going for $1100 a night or 60k. Probably the best Hilton redemption never. So it will be a bit of a hike but so would on-site parking.

We are playing into Atlanta so we have a bit of a drive. It was a last minute decision to throw this trip together and total surprise for DS.

I am excited to go. For what tickets will cost, I am going to consider this an early Christmas gift
My son just moved there for grad school. It’s a beautiful campus, which if you visited you already know that. We’re not football people but my son looked into student tickets for friends that are and even those are incredibly expensive. I don’t really have helpful advice on the game. Just chiming in since I was there a couple weeks ago. We ate at Another Broken Egg on the river for brunch and it was good food and nice scenery.

Next year we have

April- eclipse at Niagara Falls

July- Rhode Island

August- San Diego, LA, Mexico (Mexico via cruise)

November- Miami to South America via cruise

We LOVE cruising with our kids. Our oldest went on his first at a year old. Our youngest has done Bermuda last year as a fresh 3 and Canada this year at 3.5. Without kids we have been all over on cruises.

For us these are what we like/find as good rules for ourselves for cruising with the kids

1. If possible, book a larger ocean view room. Our Canada cruise we had a corner room that had a walk in closet and a bunk area for the kids. It was like $100 more than a standard ocean view during a sale. Makes changing and unpacking everyone easier and allows space to play in the room if a quiet break is needed.

2. We keep their meal and bedtimes similar to on land whenever we can. We book the early dining and do casual breakfast/lunch, and pick our shows/activities with bedtime in mind. We have a fun routine where once the kids are asleep one parent goes out and loads up on drinks and treats for the room for us (or we get room service) and we watch shows on the ipad while having our own personal buffet lol

3. Book itineraries long enough to entice other families (5-7 days at least) and pick a line that focuses on family programing/kid friendly spaces.

4. Book a cruise excursion w/ the cruise line* so we have guaranteed understanding of transportation, age limits, length, and no stress on getting back on time. Also usually has bus transport so can avoid the car seat issue.

*exception here is if we have someone with us who knows the places well (like my dad who has lived in some of the countries we will see next year in SA or its a place that overnights you like Bermuda so you can get back anytime that first day).

We love cruising with our kids and they love it too! Our 2 next year are another 5 night and a 14 night.
Ok you got me interested.... I have a tentative plan for a couple of nights at Niagara falls for the eclipse dates...... I haven't been there in years, the hotel I found is across the Canada border so I guess I can dust off my passport.....

does anyone know how much time I have to cancel to get the full AF refunded. It was billed 9/1 and the statement closes 9/16. Can I wait until after it closes so I get the points I earned this month?

DH just got approved for the SW Biz 120K offer through my referral link! Hopefully this will work out for us to get the CP again. Plan is to change the due date to the 28th or 29th as discussed previously. But I'm wondering when to call to make that change? Wait for the card to arrive first?

ETA: actually, the due date is currently Oct 28. So did we luck out and no need to change? Maybe to the 29th to be safer?

does anyone know how much time I have to cancel to get the full AF refunded. It was billed 9/1 and the statement closes 9/16. Can I wait until after it closes so I get the points I earned this month?

Yes, you can wait. You can get get your AF refunded until 30 days after statement close, iirc. If not, you have at least until the end of the month.

Is this the week of Thanksgiving or the week before? If it's the week of Thanksgiving, there's a decent chance that the professor will cancel the class. It's possible it's already on the syllabus as cancelled. I'd ask your son to check the syllabus and maybe book a cancellable backup in case the class doesn't get cancelled, but after four kids I'd say odds are good that the class will be cancelled if it's the week of Thanksgiving.
Tuesday before--I'll ask him to double check. My daughter at Georgia Tech has never had a Tuesday class canceled but this is a new school.

DH just got approved for the SW Biz 120K offer through my referral link! Hopefully this will work out for us to get the CP again. Plan is to change the due date to the 28th or 29th as discussed previously. But I'm wondering when to call to make that change? Wait for the card to arrive first?

ETA: actually, the due date is currently Oct 28. So did we luck out and no need to change? Maybe to the 29th to be safer?
You need to set your statement CLOSING date to the 1st of the month. This way your statement will close on December 1st, giving you from Dec 2nd to 4th to finish your MSR and have the points to post in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter