• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Found a 10% off wireless on DH's Platinum (up to $40).
i got this too. but when I went to pay my verizon bill, ah is the 17th so I figured I'd pay it now with amex it said I'd lose my ach discount. i thought if you paid prior to debit date you'd be fine. :(
but with 4 lines , my discount is $40 s not worth losing it
any ideas?

I usually do a price breakdown for trips, but when traveling with so many people, I'm not sure it's helpful, so instead, I thought I'd do my top tips for planning a trip to Iceland:

1. Just order a digital guidebook from Iceland with a View. She's done all the research for you- what to wear, what to pack, highlights in each area, plus maps. Watch her content on youtube as well, it's great! This will save you hours and hours and hours of planning.
  2. Book your lodging well in advance (like 10-12 months), especially if going in the peak summer months. When possible, book flexible cancellation, because you're sort of putting a puzzle together. T
  3. Aim for the summer months, like June-August, especially if you aren't a fan of cooler temps. You'll get a ton of daytime hours (even the midnight sun if you go in early summer), warm temps (50s and 60s- perfect for being active) and it's easy to self drive in the summer months. The colors are amazing in the summer!
  4. Unless you're going for just a few days (IcelandAir has a free stopover!), don't stay only in Reyjkavik. Get out and explore the rest of Iceland on your own.
  5. Iceland is known for being expensive. It is. The same lodging we stayed in in 2021 had a 100% price increase in 2023! But, outside of airfare, lodging, car rental/gas, you can do and see a lot for very few fees. While food is expensive like any island, if you choose to cook your meals, it can be very reasonable.
  6. Consider staying in cabins, cottages, guesthouses, etc. As points enthusiasts, we are sort of conditioned to stay in hotels, but you'll be really limited if only staying in hotels.
  7. We've done amazing tours and experiences, like a zodiak tour of the glacier lagoon, hiked a glacier to an ice cave and visited the Blue Lagoon. A lot of these you can book on credit card portals. But, you really don't have to pay big fees to have an amazing experience. Maybe pick just one "tour" you have to do and self explore otherwise.
  8. If your only opportunity is to visit the Blue Lagoon to or from the airport, I recommend skipping it. It can be a great experience, but the locker rooms can be very, very chaotic, and after an overnight flight, jet lag and time change, you might be low on patience. Your spa-like, $100pp experience might not be worth the pricetag when your flesh is touching someone else's in a crowded locker room. We wish we had just stuck with our spa at the hotel in Reyjkavik (free with status!)
  9. Embrace gas station food! It's not unusual for a "restaurant" to be in a gas station or connected to one. Or get an icelandic hot dog or a bowl of soup. It's the icelandic way!
  10. Move locations every two days or so. We aren't fast paced travelers, but unless you want to drive a ton, you'll need to move along every couple of days. But don't forget to slow down and just enjoy the beauty of it all.
we loved Iceland. we drove arond the entire ring road, moving evey night or 2. and yes, gas station food was usually where we had lunch!

i got this too. but when I went to pay my verizon bill, ah is the 17th so I figured I'd pay it now with amex it said I'd lose my ach discount. i thought if you paid prior to debit date you'd be fine. :(
but with 4 lines , my discount is $40 s not worth losing it
any ideas?
https://www.verizon.com/digital/nsa/nos/ui/payment/otp/login#/
I have been paying my verizon bill through this link, I make 3 $10 payments using our Plats, then 1 larger payment using MSR card, then leave about less than $5 to be auto paid with our checking account.
Other on Reddit users pay the entire balance off, I've read one that said they cancelled his discount, but has worked fine for me.
I usually just make 2 payments each day, I don't know if that makes a difference.

https://www.verizon.com/digital/nsa/nos/ui/payment/otp/login#/
I have been paying my verizon bill through this link, I make 3 $10 payments using our Plats, then 1 larger payment using MSR card, then leave about less than $5 to be auto paid with our checking account.
Other on Reddit users pay the entire balance off, I've read one that said they cancelled his discount, but has worked fine for me.
I usually just make 2 payments each day, I don't know if that makes a difference.
thanks! maybe the key is leaving something for the ach!

I usually do a price breakdown for trips, but when traveling with so many people, I'm not sure it's helpful, so instead, I thought I'd do my top tips for planning a trip to Iceland:

1. Just order a digital guidebook from Iceland with a View. She's done all the research for you- what to wear, what to pack, highlights in each area, plus maps. Watch her content on youtube as well, it's great! This will save you hours and hours and hours of planning.
  2. Book your lodging well in advance (like 10-12 months), especially if going in the peak summer months. When possible, book flexible cancellation, because you're sort of putting a puzzle together. T
  3. Aim for the summer months, like June-August, especially if you aren't a fan of cooler temps. You'll get a ton of daytime hours (even the midnight sun if you go in early summer), warm temps (50s and 60s- perfect for being active) and it's easy to self drive in the summer months. The colors are amazing in the summer!
  4. Unless you're going for just a few days (IcelandAir has a free stopover!), don't stay only in Reyjkavik. Get out and explore the rest of Iceland on your own.
  5. Iceland is known for being expensive. It is. The same lodging we stayed in in 2021 had a 100% price increase in 2023! But, outside of airfare, lodging, car rental/gas, you can do and see a lot for very few fees. While food is expensive like any island, if you choose to cook your meals, it can be very reasonable.
  6. Consider staying in cabins, cottages, guesthouses, etc. As points enthusiasts, we are sort of conditioned to stay in hotels, but you'll be really limited if only staying in hotels.
  7. We've done amazing tours and experiences, like a zodiak tour of the glacier lagoon, hiked a glacier to an ice cave and visited the Blue Lagoon. A lot of these you can book on credit card portals. But, you really don't have to pay big fees to have an amazing experience. Maybe pick just one "tour" you have to do and self explore otherwise.
  8. If your only opportunity is to visit the Blue Lagoon to or from the airport, I recommend skipping it. It can be a great experience, but the locker rooms can be very, very chaotic, and after an overnight flight, jet lag and time change, you might be low on patience. Your spa-like, $100pp experience might not be worth the pricetag when your flesh is touching someone else's in a crowded locker room. We wish we had just stuck with our spa at the hotel in Reyjkavik (free with status!)
  9. Embrace gas station food! It's not unusual for a "restaurant" to be in a gas station or connected to one. Or get an icelandic hot dog or a bowl of soup. It's the icelandic way!
  10. Move locations every two days or so. We aren't fast paced travelers, but unless you want to drive a ton, you'll need to move along every couple of days. But don't forget to slow down and just enjoy the beauty of it all.
The Author of Iceland with a View is my next door neighbor. They are renting the house next to us. They have been back here for a year now after living in Iceland for 10 years. They are currently in Iceland right now for vacation. Very nice family.

Gotcha. Yeah, I'll be worrying about this working until it actually works, lol. Chase is currently showing due date of Oct 28. We'll see if that changes for some reason when the card arrives. 🤞

Thanks!
I just applied last night and mine is showing a due date of October 18th. I've got a word document talking about when to set the date as. I'll be super nervous until it works!

Got DH the SW Biz card last night. The bonus tracker says we need to meet the MSR by Dec 5th to get the first 60k. Currently the first due date shows Oct 13 and there is no closing date. When do I want to change my date to so that I don't miss the Dec 5th spend date, but the points don't credit until January?
I think if you change the due date to the 28th or 29th, it should close 3 days after, which for the Nov due date would mean Dec 1st or 2nd. At least I hope I'm understanding correctly! I've read on DoC: don't get too close to meeting the first MSR of $3K or Chase might count it as complete and send the points to SW too early!
I just applied last night and mine is showing a due date of October 18th. I've got a word document talking about when to set the date as. I'll be super nervous until it works!
IKR?! Lol. I think I got lucky that it shows a due date of the 28th so I don't have to ask for a change myself. Nervous that they'll change it for some reason come November.

I was really excited to only have to do one app for the SW CP this time, 2 years ago we had to get two biz cards. We've really squeezed so much value out of that CP.

Got DH the SW Biz card last night. The bonus tracker says we need to meet the MSR by Dec 5th to get the first 60k. Currently the first due date shows Oct 13 and there is no closing date. When do I want to change my date to so that I don't miss the Dec 5th spend date, but the points don't credit until January?

I think if you change the due date to the 28th or 29th, it should close 3 days after, which for the Nov due date would mean Dec 1st or 2nd. At least I hope I'm understanding correctly! I've read on DoC: don't get too close to meeting the first MSR of $3K or Chase might count it as complete and send the points to SW too early!

Chase operates on a 28 day calendar, so a due date of 28th should close on the 3rd (and 29th the 4th). There was some uncertainty about business cards being 6 days later instead of 3, but looks like that's only the Inks.

I think @platamama and @miztressuz settled on the 28th with the thinking being that it must close in the next month as there are no closing dates on 29/30/31. Comments on DoC are saying the 26th to close on the 1st with the thinking that allows the most time to meet MSR.

Note that Chase unofficially allows 115 days to meet spend. But it seems risky to rely on that as they could stop at any time.

@punkin - I'm going to say a bit about life time language and Amex.

Amex is always going to do what's best for Amex. They've had lifetime language as far as I can remember. I've been a card holder since the 90ties (after I divorced using my own developing earnings ie nothing big).

I've had up to 7 Amex credit cards well before I had a charge card from them. I took myself down to 4 credit cards and recently got the Surpass which I had gotten the pop up for not too long before. Many people got the pop up by applying with various links. I didn't see anybody report getting it from Doc's link.

Most of the shut downs are usually very heavy hitters. People who do 3-4 cards in a year are not heavy hitters.

Chase could have followed the Amex lead long ago. I'm sure they understand the business. I highly doubt they will go further than the one every 2 years with many branded cards and the every four years with their premium products. With branded cards, the brand has input. We've seen that with Marriott. Marriott makes their own rules as part of their agreements with both issuers.

With their own business cards Chase rolls the dice. They do good promos because it's a crapshoot of who will be the next 'big' deal. Right now they've gone with high SUB's and almost moderate rewards. I don't think we are going to see a whole lot of changes anytime soon. They'll stay with what pays the bills. Not everyone out there is a churner.

When we apply, they can always say 'No'. And later on they usually say 'Yes' in time and with some moderation.

I do think the most important thing past moderating app's is to make consistent payments, with nothing late, and keep rollovers to a minimum (moving debt to no interest card offers).
Very thoughtful and informative post. I agree with your analysis. I still think in my particular case, DH can wait 2 weeks to apply and be past 90 days, so discretion is the better part of valor here. If I really needed it...I would risk it, but not for an extra 1k spend that I can make up organically in 3 months.

IKR?! Lol. I think I got lucky that it shows a due date of the 28th so I don't have to ask for a change myself. Nervous that they'll change it for some reason come November.

I was really excited to only have to do one app for the SW CP this time, 2 years ago we had to get two biz cards. We've really squeezed so much value out of that CP.

We have gotten a lot of value out of it as well - in 2022 and 2023, we've used it 10 times. Without it, we wouldn't fly nearly as much. I hope the benefit stays around for a long time and DH and I can keep alternating years to get it! We'll be able to use it even more when we retire!!

Chase operates on a 28 day calendar, so a due date of 28th should close on the 3rd (and 29th the 4th). There was some uncertainty about business cards being 6 days later instead of 3, but looks like that's only the Inks.

I think @platamama and @miztressuz settled on the 28th with the thinking being that it must close in the next month as there are no closing dates on 29/30/31. Comments on DoC are saying the 26th to close on the 1st with the thinking that allows the most time to meet MSR.

Note that Chase unofficially allows 115 days to meet spend. But it seems risky to rely on that as they could stop at any time.
I'd agree with the 26th if you want it exactly on the 1st to squeak a couple MSR tracker days in. I double checked all my cards and I do have one that's due on the 28th with a statement close of the 3rd. (Personal card with the 3day rule) I think @platamama confirmed SW Biz cards are still using the 3 day calculation. ETA actually @palhockeymomof2 confirmed for us too! I like multiple sources :thumbsup2

So when calculating dates just pretend that 29/30/31 doesn't exist in the month and 26 should equal 1st, 27->2nd and 28->3rd. (You shouldn't be able to select 29/30/31)

I'm losing track of my last read posts here so not sure if anyone has brought it up yet but since we're starting SW CP season hopes a little early this year the kind soul on r/churning that tracks CP DPs has updated the Mega threads already.

It was a fairly uneventful season last year so it's the same threads with updated info. So the titles have the wrong year but they've up to date.

Maximizing SW CP Duration: What can go wrong?

SW CP Megathread

If you're new to Chase or SW MSRs, unsure of the CP timing dance, or just like to be a voyeur, I highly recommend going through the main posts of each thread. There can be some pitfalls that people don't think about that can ruin your year.

I think a big one that trips people up is Chase counting gross spend when automatically posting the bonus. We calculate net spend and account for returns per the terms but Chase's auto post algorithm seems to be setup for gross spend. Many DPs from people who made returns and thought they were still under the threshold have been surprised with points posting too soon. (The DP about fraud purchases putting them over freaked me out a little too.)

I'd agree with the 26th if you want it exactly on the 1st to squeak a couple MSR tracker days in. I double checked all my cards and I do have one that's due on the 28th with a statement close of the 3rd. (Personal card with the 3day rule) I think @platamama confirmed SW Biz cards are still using the 3 day calculation. ETA actually @palhockeymomof2 confirmed for us too! I like multiple sources :thumbsup2

So when calculating dates just pretend that 29/30/31 doesn't exist in the month and 26 should equal 1st, 27->2nd and 28->3rd. (You shouldn't be able to select 29/30/31)
Got it. So perhaps I'll change it to 26, statement closes on the 1st, then make purchases or one big purchase (maybe I'll do my DVC dues) so they're in by Dec 5. Whew, thanks so much all for all the hand-holding. This will be the third time we get a SW CP so I thought I had mastered it, but then this one 120K card threw me a curve-ball (though I'm certainly not complaining!)

thoughts on any of the United cards? I'm down to 16k miles.. I've got plenty of UR, Cap 1, IHG and MR but usualy book with miles.

or do i have p2 refer me for another Ink? and jus t use them. i like the free bags! i do have $200 travel ank, thanks to amex plat I could use as well.

i've got a 4k insurance bill in November.

I'd love to make use of my 16k taxes but not sure how. town charges a fee to use cc

btw i put $100 on my platinum today to hopefully get bonus, leaving about $45 for ach. i still got notice it may affect my ach discount. i'll see what happens

Is there any way to find tracking for AMEX Hilton MSRs? We got 2 Hilton Honors cards and 1 Hilton Biz card during the last promotion with FNCs and are working on our MSRs. I love how Chase tracks your spending and shows the SUB you will receive when you meet the spend by a certain date. Is there anything like that with AMEX?

thoughts on any of the United cards? I'm down to 16k miles.. I've got plenty of UR, Cap 1, IHG and MR but usualy book with miles.

or do i have p2 refer me for another Ink? and jus t use them. i like the free bags! i do have $200 travel ank, thanks to amex plat I could use as well.

i've got a 4k insurance bill in November.

I'd love to make use of my 16k taxes but not sure how. town charges a fee to use cc

btw i put $100 on my platinum today to hopefully get bonus, leaving about $45 for ach. i still got notice it may affect my ach discount. i'll see what happens
I don’t think I’ve ever gotten the bonus. Did you login before you clicked on the link?

It’s because of funding. I had to look it up. The VPK program is free for all kids age 4 and the schools get funding but can lose that if the kids aren’t meeting the attendance policy.
Interesting, so it's not actually voluntary. If you sign up, it's now mandatory. In IL, there is nothing like that. All preschool is private unless your child receives services like PT, OT or Speech therapy.

Any tips for a short weekend trip to Phoenix? We’re thinking about going next year over Presidents’ Day. We’ve never been before. Mostly interested in easy hikes and trails in the area. We just started looking at places to stay so if anyone has any recommendations I’ll gladly take them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter