• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Yeah, I am super interested in Munich, Fussen, Salzburg, Hallstatt, and Zurich. I've always loved Germany (it's my ancestry on both sides, so maybe that is why). But DH is more interested in Italy. I just don't know which way to sway, and where we'd be happier! lol. Flights are around the same pts wise for us, so that doesn't factor in.
Maybe I need to look at it this way... which places between Germany/Austria/Zurich, and Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) are easier to stay in with IHG, Hilton, and Hyatt points?
Time of year might factor into the decision. I'd try to stay clear of Italy in the peak summer months. Since you are a more active couple and enjoy the outdoors/hiking, you might want to try the Dolomites and Venice, so you can get some hiking and outdoor activities in. Definitely do Rome and then figure out if you want another city vibe or if you might want more of a rural or beach vibe. I find too many cities in one trip isn't for me. I think you'll be well covered by IHG, Hilton and Hyatt in Italy.

Switzerland is known to be a wonderland for active people (I haven't been). Have you looked at via ferrata in Switzerland? If not, Youtube some videos, it's crazy!

Not helpful to throw this into the mix, but Portugal seems right up your alley.

Time of year might factor into the decision. I'd try to stay clear of Italy in the peak summer months. Since you are a more active couple and enjoy the outdoors/hiking, you might want to try the Dolomites and Venice, so you can get some hiking and outdoor activities in. Definitely do Rome and then figure out if you want another city vibe or if you might want more of a rural or beach vibe. I find too many cities in one trip isn't for me. I think you'll be well covered by IHG, Hilton and Hyatt in Italy.

Switzerland is known to be a wonderland for active people (I haven't been). Have you looked at via ferrata in Switzerland? If not, Youtube some videos, it's crazy!

Not helpful to throw this into the mix, but Portugal seems right up your alley.
Thanks for these suggestions. The Dolomites look amazing! I don’t know why I was thinking there weren’t much hiking opportunities in Italy.. this looks fantastic and right up our alley! It would probably satisfy our need to be outdoorsy, and Rome would satisfy DHs love of history. We are planning the trip for mid-late May 2025 to early June for wherever we wind up going. Is that a good time in Italy, or would June start the peak season? I assume Italy is pretty easy to get around by public transit, from city to city, or is renting a car more preferable?

Oh, Portugal is on my list too! Just a little farther down, but we’ll get there eventually. Wherever we go in 2025, whether Germany/Austria/Switzerland or Italy, we’ll do the other likely the following year.

I think we’ve decided on London for summer 2025. We really wanted to fly from here without a positioning flight and there aren’t a ton of options. Our plan is to fly BA in business. I think we want to spend some time in the city and then try to get out of the city for part of the trip. We wouldn’t want to travel too far because we would have to go back to London to fly home. Does anyone have any suggestions for places close to London to see nature or hike? Also would May or June be better?

Last edited:
I think we’ve decided on London for summer 2025. We really wanted to fly from here without a positioning flight and there aren’t a ton of options. Our plan is to fly BA in business. I think we want to spend some time in the city and then try to get out of the city for part of the trip. We wouldn’t want to travel too far because we would have to go back to London to fly home. Does anyone have any suggestions for places close to London to see nature or hike? Also would May or June be better?

Have you been to Ireland or Scotland? From London it would be a quick flight to Ireland (various airports, my suggestion would be Shannon or Kerry and avoid Dublin) and the countryside is gorgeous. Small charming towns, plenty of walks/hikes, coastal tours in abundance via ferry to islands. We spent 2 weeks this summer and it met our interests (not big cities, gorgeous landscape, opportunity to get outside).

Scotland is also an option from London -- I believe the LNER train gets you to Edinburgh in about 4 hours? We haven't been but we're considering a London/Scotland trip. Or a London/revisit to Ireland.

If you are firm on flying in/out London, then just disregard! :)

Have you been to Ireland or Scotland? From London it would be a quick flight to Ireland (various airports, my suggestion would be Shannon or Kerry and avoid Dublin) and the countryside is gorgeous. Small charming towns, plenty of walks/hikes, coastal tours in abundance via ferry to islands. We spent 2 weeks this summer and it met our interests (not big cities, gorgeous landscape, opportunity to get outside).

Scotland is also an option from London -- I believe the LNER train gets you to Edinburgh in about 4 hours? We haven't been but we're considering a London/Scotland trip. Or a London/revisit to Ireland.

If you are firm on flying in/out London, then just disregard! :)
We looked at trying to do Ireland or Scotland with London but I don’t think it’ll work since we don’t want a positioning flight. We would fly out of Orlando and can only get direct to London. Ireland and Scotland both look great though. We had planned on doing Ireland this year but the flights didn’t work out. Dh said he doesn’t want to do a positioning flight. I think he’s sick of it lol

We looked at trying to do Ireland or Scotland with London but I don’t think it’ll work since we don’t want a positioning flight. We would fly out of Orlando and can only get direct to London. Ireland and Scotland both look great though. We had planned on doing Ireland this year but the flights didn’t work out. Dh said he doesn’t want to do a positioning flight. I think he’s sick of it lol

Aer Lingus flies direct from MCO. Or at least I thought. You can use avios. It's just a headache, LOL. But it would for sure cut down on the taxes into London. I know when I was looking for flights for our trip MCO was a direct option.

All this 2025 talk has me thinking that I haven't even started looking at what points we'll need for 2025. I've got half of our 2024 travels booked but we are running low on URs and MRs, I like to have at least 200K of each in case any good opportunities present themselves, but I've been focusing on Hilton and AA.

I think our 2025 plan is to visit the Philippines over Christmas break (so the end of 2025) but I would like to have the points available for summer 2025 in case we decided to go during the summer. As much as I would love to fly business class - I've settle on flying economy since we'll be traveling during prime travel season, so I'll consider myself lucky if I can get 4 economy seats.

Last edited:

Aer Lingus flies direct from MCO. Or at least I thought. You can use avios. It's just a headache, LOL. But it would for sure cut down on the taxes into London. I know when I was looking for flights for our trip MCO was a direct option.
I don’t think they release 3 seats though. Last time we checked they only had 2 at a time

You can still fly direct to London and then train to Scotland. We flew in and out of London and went to Lincoln, York, Edinburgh and London. I loved York, cutest little town ever.

You can still fly direct to London and then train to Scotland. We flew in and out of London and went to Lincoln, York, Edinburgh and London. I loved York, cutest little town ever.
Do you remember how far it was from London to York? I think we would want to only stay in two different spots so we aren’t moving around too much. When I looked at London to Edinburgh it said 8 hours so I must’ve been looking at it wrong

ETA: wow yeah I was looking at something way wrong. It was showing much longer times between cities. We could make a 4 hour trip to Edinburgh work. Do you think York or Edinburgh would be better?

Do you remember how far it was from London to York? I think we would want to only stay in two different spots so we aren’t moving around too much. When I looked at London to Edinburgh it said 8 hours so I must’ve been looking at it wrong
We went from Lincoln to York I think, so I am not totally sure. Edinburgh to London is about 5 hours I think. York is much closer, looks like 174 miles, so I think no more than a couple hours.

We went from Lincoln to York I think, so I am not totally sure. Edinburgh to London is about 5 hours I think. York is much closer, looks like 174 miles, so I think no more than a couple hours.
If we had to choose one, which do you think would be better? York would be nice since it’s closer

We transferred 50k MR to aeroplan and the points still haven't shown up yet. If this flight sells out I will be super bummed! We can use them for when our return leg opens I guess but what a pain.
Update- per reddit multiple people who also have points missing are now being told aeroplan is no longer a partner with Amex and cant help with missing points. Amex says they sent them and doesn't know anything.

If we had to choose one, which do you think would be better? York would be nice since it’s closer
I'm guessing overall, there is probably more in Edinburgh. We loved York though, it's so charming and cute and quirky. But with your ds age, Edinburgh is probably a better choice.

Does anyone have the BOA Alaska Business Card?
Is it difficult to get approved? We don't have a BOA relationship.

Looking at 2025 plans and I think some Alaska miles might come in handy.

I'm guessing overall, there is probably more in Edinburgh. We loved York though, it's so charming and cute and quirky. But with your ds age, Edinburgh is probably a better choice.
I have no input on york but Edinburgh is a fairy tale city with a castle on the hill...absolutely amazing!
Thanks! I’m just not sure we want to make the 5 hour trip there and back

Does anyone have the BOA Alaska Business Card?
Is it difficult to get approved? We don't have a BOA relationship.

Looking at 2025 plans and I think some Alaska miles might come in handy.
I do have a boa alaska business card. the website and payment are really weird. fee for acct. fee for card. 2 separate accts but only recieve one card and make payment to acct without card. really strange. did not have any problem getting it but do have boa accts. also currently holding boa alaska personal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter