• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Anyone who has flown to Italy (FCO) what airline did you fly? We are in the DC area but are willing to position for better options. DH wants to go in 2025 so I want to start scoping at how many points I might need to accrue.

My DS and DDIL just flew IAD-FCO direct a little over a week ago. They flew on United. I have no idea if they used points or not. They flew Naples-MUC-IAD on the return but I think that was a different airline.

Update- per reddit multiple people who also have points missing are now being told aeroplan is no longer a partner with Amex and cant help with missing points. Amex says they sent them and doesn't know anything.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I always worry every time we move MRs or URs over to the airlines, but of course I still do it. I really hope they can find your missing points. It's not right that they just send you back and forth when they are the ones who messed this up.

We are planning to open a Chase checking account to get the Disney Visa debit card version so that we can get room discounts. MDE and all our reservations are always booked under me. We do plan to keep it this way with MDE since I do all the planning.

I was going to open up the Chase checking in my spouse's name just because...but then I wondered if the Disney Visa HAD to be under my name to apply the room discounts? Anyone know?

(also posting here bc r/t credit cards)
Terms of those deals have just said that the card holder has to stay in the room, nothing about it being in their name. Never heard of a problem using a spouse's card.

Chase gives bonuses for opening bank accounts, anywhere from 200-300 for just a checking account to 500-900 for doing a combo checking/savings. You both could open accounts, get the bonuses and have debit cards. Just have to work a plan to avoid the monthly fee, which is pretty easy. But whether one account or two, look for a bonus when you open it.

If you Google search for Chase checking bonus you should at least get an offer like this: https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/seo

Several people on the thread here who have other Chase accounts were targeted for the $900 combo recently.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I always worry every time we move MRs or URs over to the airlines, but of course I still do it. I really hope they can find your missing points. It's not right that they just send you back and forth when they are the ones who messed this up.
Thank you! They called us back and told us they could escalate it in an hour and to call back again. We are now waiting on another call back. I'm sure escalating it will do nothing though.

50k MR is a lot to just give up on. If Aeroplan doesn't relent does anyone know what you do next?

In the mean time if I could book a business class fare via BA but it'd mean transferring my MR (the missing points are my husbands) but of course I am gun shy on that!

My AmEx Plat annual fee is going to post in the next couple of weeks, and I am going to cancel. I am wondering if I can use the Sak's credit now before I close it. I used the Saks's credit last year and then again in March. It credited within 4 days both times. Will I be okay if I use the credit and then cancel my card a couple of weeks later?

Terms of those deals have just said that the card holder has to stay in the room, nothing about it being in their name. Never heard of a problem using a spouse's card.

Chase gives bonuses for opening bank accounts, anywhere from 200-300 for just a checking account to 500-900 for doing a combo checking/savings. You both could open accounts, get the bonuses and have debit cards. Just have to work a plan to avoid the monthly fee, which is pretty easy. But whether one account or two, look for a bonus when you open it.

If you Google search for Chase checking bonus you should at least get an offer like this: https://account.chase.com/consumer/banking/seo

Several people on the thread here who have other Chase accounts were targeted for the $900 combo recently.
Thank you! Getting the debit card was my plan…However, I forgot about the monthly fees and we really can’t maintain the balances. And P2 doesn’t want to change our primary checking account/ have direct deposits go there monthly.

Now looking at biting the bullet on a 5/24 spot for the credit card version.

Update again (just in case anyone else is transferring to aeroplan soon)

1. I tried transferring 1000 MR to my aeroplan account (old account, not new) and it never came in

2. I transferred some MR to jetblue and it was instant

After THREE HOURS on hold they finally told my husband that Amex has "issued a notice" to Aeroplan that there is an issue with MR to Aeroplan transfers and everyone is being instructed to wait an additional 48 hours so we can call them again Saturday morning. *sigh*.

Does anyone know where I can find out when my CSR travel credit resets? I’ve looked under benefits and see the square that says it has been used this year but nothing about when it resets. I did also try going into the app but still don’t see it. Have some stuff to pay for for our Hawaii trip and it would be nice to have it available in Oct.

Does anyone know where I can find out when my CSR travel credit resets? I’ve looked under benefits and see the square that says it has been used this year but nothing about when it resets. I did also try going into the app but still don’t see it. Have some stuff to pay for for our Hawaii trip and it would be nice to have it available in Oct.
i think when your annual fee hits but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will know lol.

Thank you! Getting the debit card was my plan…However, I forgot about the monthly fees and we really can’t maintain the balances. And P2 doesn’t want to change our primary checking account/ have direct deposits go there monthly.

Now looking at biting the bullet on a 5/24 spot for the credit card version.
The fee is annoying but it doesn't need to be a DD to waive it. An electronic transfer of 500 each statement will do it and it doesn't need to stay there. I transfer from one of my other accounts and then use it to pay one of my Chase CCs, but you could always send it back to the original account.

If there's no other way to get the discount on the room that you want, you could calculate that savings as part of the CC value. So the sign up bonus is small but with the room savings how does that compare with the bonus on a different card? We usually don't recommend the Disney cards because you could have better savings with others, but what would be your alternative for that slot? How does it compare?

After doing this for a few years I realized my P2 will never be close to 5/24. I think the highest he's been is 3/24 and at one point I the middle of this journey was actually 0/24. So some cards that aren't the best value and a 'waste' of a slot aren't really a waste since nothing else was going in that slot anyway! Something is better than nothing so look at your roadmap and see where everything fits in. (I never call CC churning 'plans'. Things change in the game so always need to adjust. But still a good idea to map out your route to a goal with plenty of alternatives and room for detours)

In the app, get into the UR portal for the CSR card. (My android app is Rewards and Benefits > Ultimate Rewards > ) On that page open the menu and go to Ultimate Rewards Home. At the bottom of that page should be the box for the credit -

Annual travel credit​

Congrats! You have received your entire $300 annual travel credit this year. Next year's travel credit will begin after your statement closing date in 10/2023. Learn more

My AmEx Plat annual fee is going to post in the next couple of weeks, and I am going to cancel. I am wondering if I can use the Sak's credit now before I close it. I used the Saks's credit last year and then again in March. It credited within 4 days both times. Will I be okay if I use the credit and then cancel my card a couple of weeks later?
Absolutely!

DH applied and got a new CIP last night. He said there was some new language about only using points to benefit the business and not any individual. Anyone have any idea what's that about?

Congrats on the new CIP.

This language.....

7) The Business and I are responsible for all rewards program redemptions and will ensure that such rewards are: redeemed for business purposes only; used to benefit only the Business and not for the personal benefit of any individual; and used in compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, ethics standards, and Business policies.

Probably has about as much importance as this language.....

1) This is a business account which shall be used only for business purposes and not personal, family or household purposes.

Make of that what you will. :rolleyes1

In the app, get into the UR portal for the CSR card. (My android app is Rewards and Benefits > Ultimate Rewards > ) On that page open the menu and go to Ultimate Rewards Home. At the bottom of that page should be the box for the credit -

Annual travel credit​

Congrats! You have received your entire $300 annual travel credit this year. Next year's travel credit will begin after your statement closing date in 10/2023. Learn more
yep mines in December i think my annual fee actually hits right then or right after.

Happy day for me. After a week of waiting my new CIC was approved. Now I get to start my normal process of worrying that I didn't use the correct link and my support points won't post. I'll probably wait a week or two and then I'll request a match to the 90k offer.
so you went directly from refer-hit msr-ask for match?

Question on AA/Avios- in general, if I'm wanting to book using AA on BA, if I see availability, then transfer over ,will it still be available by the time I can book airfare? (It's been years since I booked non domestic like this)

Question on AA/Avios- in general, if I'm wanting to book using AA on BA, if I see availability, then transfer over ,will it still be available by the time I can book airfare? (It's been years since I booked non domestic like this)
Since you mention transferring then I gather you wish to book an AA operated flight using Avios and booking on the BA website using BA Avios. You would need to search by segment on BA and see if the AA flight is listed. If it is not, you need to be sure that the AA flight you are trying to book is a saver flight on AA’s website. If it is not a saver AA award flight then BA cannot book it with Avios. If it were me and I was unsure, I’d call BA verify it can be booked with Avios and ask them to wait with me while I transfer the points to BA. My transfers have always been instant but theoretically it can take up to 3 days. If you are booking for multiple people online, under your Avios account be sure to add them to your list of people you can book using your account ahead of time. Hope this helps.

Congrats on the new CIP.

This language.....

7) The Business and I are responsible for all rewards program redemptions and will ensure that such rewards are: redeemed for business purposes only; used to benefit only the Business and not for the personal benefit of any individual; and used in compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, ethics standards, and Business policies.

Probably has about as much importance as this language.....

1) This is a business account which shall be used only for business purposes and not personal, family or household purposes.

Make of that what you will. :rolleyes1
🤭 That's exactly what I told him, but it seemed like new language so I thought I'd ask.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter