• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I upgraded DW's Amex biz gold to a biz platinum. The approval page said the card would be delivered within 10 days. I tried to request expedited shipping via chat but they said she had to call. Will she need to call or will it be shipped quicker than what Amex said?

I upgraded DW's Amex biz gold to a biz platinum. The approval page said the card would be delivered within 10 days. I tried to request expedited shipping via chat but they said she had to call. Will she need to call or will it be shipped quicker than what Amex said?

You can still use the old card. Once the upgrade is reflected in the online account (usually next day), it should be safe to spend towards the upgrade bonus.

In general, you can't request to expedite with Amex. If it's something that's expedited it will be. New biz plats are expedited, I would think upgrades are as well. Though they've been changing things (such as not expediting biz golds), so I can't be sure.

You can still use the old card. Once the upgrade is reflected in the online account (usually next day), it should be safe to spend towards the upgrade bonus.

In general, you can't request to expedite with Amex. If it's something that's expedited it will be. New biz plats are expedited, I would think upgrades are as well. Though they've been changing things (such as not expediting biz golds), so I can't be sure.
Thanks for the information. I only need to spend $10k and 90% of that will be my cruise next year and 2023 property taxes so I can wait for the card. I just wanted to make sure I could get the 2023 airline credit and the July-December Dell credit but it's only December 4 so that shouldn't be an issue.

Cautionary tale... a tale of "what not to do"...

My husband went to Kroger Saturday evening to buy Airbnb gift cards because they're 4x's fuel points right now. He purchased two - one for $500 and the other for $277. He forgot to give our loyalty number to the clerk before purchasing and turned around to ask if they could enter it directly afterwards. They wouldn't help... neither the clerk or the manager that evening would/could refund the money or do anything to help.

He then either lef them on the counter or they were stolen from the shopping cart or something in the realm of that. However it happened - they're gone. And he didn't realize it until Sunday morning. We went to Kroger, searched for them, asked customer service (where he bought them, but of course they're not there), scoured through all of the shopping carts. Nothing.

Kroger would not reverse them and Airbnb can't help either since we don't have the physical cards. I called today to ask Kroger customer service for the fuel points to be added to my account and they can only refund a max of 500 points.

Just a huge fail all around. My husband is upset. I feel bad for him because he tries so hard...

If anyone has any ideas -- I'm listening!!

My husband went to Kroger Saturday evening to buy Airbnb gift cards because they're 4x's fuel points right now. He purchased two - one for $500 and the other for $277. He forgot to give our loyalty number to the clerk before purchasing and turned around to ask if they could enter it directly afterwards. They wouldn't help... neither the clerk or the manager that evening would/could refund the money or do anything to help.

He then either lef them on the counter or they were stolen from the shopping cart or something in the realm of that. However it happened - they're gone. And he didn't realize it until Sunday morning. We went to Kroger, searched for them, asked customer service (where he bought them, but of course they're not there), scoured through all of the shopping carts. Nothing.

Kroger would not reverse them and Airbnb can't help either since we don't have the physical cards. I called today to ask Kroger customer service for the fuel points to be added to my account and they can only refund a max of 500 points.

Just a huge fail all around. My husband is upset. I feel bad for him because he tries so hard...

How frustrating! I don't know if this would work, but I guess you can't contact the credit card and they might possibly have some recourse if they were stolen??

So this Hawaiian/Alaska thing, does this mean I might actually be able to use the Hawaiian miles I have been sitting on since Covid? Alaskan Air at least flies out of here.
yeah i think that its good they are in one world. I wouldn't transfer yet though.

I'm sorry this happened. Does he have the receipt or the activation receipt? I would hope Kroger can trace it from that.

Looking for suggestions. We were caught up in the very beginnings of the Southwest Christmas meltdown last year, and was awarded $100 travel funds each. Traveling as a family of 5, 3 (tickets purchased on points, 2 were companion passes) Each of the $100 was delegated to a person in our family, not just a $500 lump sum. Our companion passes were still good for this year, so we literally had no good way of “using” 2 of the $100 credits. I had thought about switching companions around and back and forth but it just wasn’t feasible to link/unlink that many times and risk someone not having a flight (all kids are under age 12.) I figured the funds were just a lost cause (we always book with points anyway), but I stumbled about something on Southwest Airlines website that we might could request a refund simply bc the problem was their fault? I also saw someone suggest to book new WGA+ fares and then cancel those and it would reset the expiration date? Just looking to see if anyone had any insight! Thanks!

Looking for suggestions. We were caught up in the very beginnings of the Southwest Christmas meltdown last year, and was awarded $100 travel funds each. Traveling as a family of 5, 3 (tickets purchased on points, 2 were companion passes) Each of the $100 was delegated to a person in our family, not just a $500 lump sum. Our companion passes were still good for this year, so we literally had no good way of “using” 2 of the $100 credits. I had thought about switching companions around and back and forth but it just wasn’t feasible to link/unlink that many times and risk someone not having a flight (all kids are under age 12.) I figured the funds were just a lost cause (we always book with points anyway), but I stumbled about something on Southwest Airlines website that we might could request a refund simply bc the problem was their fault? I also saw someone suggest to book new WGA+ fares and then cancel those and it would reset the expiration date? Just looking to see if anyone had any insight! Thanks!
We were also caught up in that Southwest meltdown last Christmas, totally can commiserate with that!

What I did with the LUV vouchers that were in each person's name (these had an expiration date) was buy a WGA+ fare so that I could transfer the money to whomever in our family who would need it most in the future. The good news is that all SW travel funds NEVER EXPIRE anymore. My suggestion is buy a ~$100 WGA+ fare for each person whose name is on the travel funds. The origin/destination doesn't matter; the purpose here is to get the $100 in non-expiring travel funds. Then cancel the fare and take the refund as travel funds that can now be transferred to someone else with a RR account, probably the 5th in your family who is not covered by the CP, or whoever you want to designate. [Note: the transfer can only be done once and is irreversible.] IME a young traveler just needs to be linked to one of the adults in the travel party, so as long as the adult has a confirmation code, you should be able to book a ticket in the young one's SW account by providing the traveling adult's confirmation code. I'd probably book a dummy ticket for the adult using points - just to generate the confirmation code - to make it easy to cancel later.

I'm sorry this happened. Does he have the receipt or the activation receipt? I would hope Kroger can trace it from that.
I was going to 2nd what @wanderlust7 said about a receipt, I was thinking you could pull it up in the app, but if he didn’t use the loyalty card then that won’t work. It would seem that you’re kind of out of luck here. Unfortunately you have no proof that you don’t have the gift cards. These stores are often scammed by nefarious people, and innocent people like yourself suffer the consequences. I don’t think you have any recourse here seeing as the gift cards were “misplaced.” My heart goes out to you guys, and I’m hoping maybe someone can chime in with a brilliant solution.

Our original plan for England was to book British airways through Cathay Pacific but it looks like that might not be an option anymore. Looks like BA changed their partner award availability and we’re seeing nothing on Cathay Pacific.

Ack!! I need two seats to open up on a SW flight to book my companion pass tickets. We just got back from Vegas yesterday and when I changed my companion back to my daughter today I saw our flight to Palm Springs is sold out! I guess I'll be checking the site multiple times a day hoping someone changes their plans!
When is your flight? I almost missed booking our companion tickets for our return trip for next Monday. I got the last 2 seats available when I booked yesterday, today it is showing one ticket available. Hopefully 🤞 yours opens up.

We were also caught up in that Southwest meltdown last Christmas, totally can commiserate with that!

What I did with the LUV vouchers that were in each person's name (these had an expiration date) was buy a WGA+ fare so that I could transfer the money to whomever in our family who would need it most in the future. The good news is that all SW travel funds NEVER EXPIRE anymore. My suggestion is buy a ~$100 WGA+ fare for each person whose name is on the travel funds. The origin/destination doesn't matter; the purpose here is to get the $100 in non-expiring travel funds. Then cancel the fare and take the refund as travel funds that can now be transferred to someone else with a RR account, probably the 5th in your family who is not covered by the CP, or whoever you want to designate. [Note: the transfer can only be done once and is irreversible.] IME a young traveler just needs to be linked to one of the adults in the travel party, so as long as the adult has a confirmation code, you should be able to book a ticket in the young one's SW account by providing the traveling adult's confirmation code. I'd probably book a dummy ticket for the adult using points - just to generate the confirmation code - to make it easy to cancel later.
Thank you! This was what I was thinking but was exactly sure how it worked. The credits expire here in a couple weeks so I’ll search for some cheap dummy flights!

PSA to anyone who thinks they might be on the same flight as I am. Get yourself on another flight. Seriously.
Heading to Paris today from Toronto. My flight was through Montreal. I received a text that my flight was delayed due to an “operational” issue. So I immediately moved to an earlier flight, which is a good thing because my original flight was delayed almost 4 hours and I would’ve missed the connection. My new flight ended up leaving 2 hours late, but I still had 2 hours for the connection. Excellent.
Flight to Paris boarded and everything was looking great. We had to de-ice due to snow in Montreal. When we finished the process we didn’t move. Then there was an announcement looking for a medical doctor for a “passenger issue”. Not sure if there was a doctor on board or not because I’m in the 5th row and the issue was in the back. Anyways, we sat and sat and sat in nowhere land.First we were told that a shuttle was coming to the plane to take 2 passengers off. But the shuttle never arrived. Then an announcement that we were heading back to a gate, BUT this is a wide body aircraft (A330) and not many gates can accommodate a plane this size.So we had to wait and wait and wait. And wait some more. Finally after 3 hours we moved back to the gate. Then an announcement that since we had been on board for over 2 hours anyone who wanted to leave the aircraft was free to leave, but had to talk to an FA first. Apparently at least 1 person (other than the one with the medical issue) got off. Then we had to re-fuel because, you know, we had been sitting somewhere at the airport for 3 hours and must’ve burned a lot of fuel. So now we are de-icing again almost 4.5 hours after we were supposed to leave and I haven’t eaten anything but a granola bar since 4:30 and I’m hangry and tired.
After my fiasco on BA trying to get to Florence in October I am left wondering if perhaps I’m just not meant to travel. Regardless I don’t recommend for anyone who wants a smooth travel experience to get on a flight with me.
The FA told me that it was a mental health issue. I figured it couldn’t have been too serious since there wasn’t a rush to get the person off the plane.
Also a little while ago the FAs came around asking if I’d still like to eat; she was serious. Like we aren’t all starving? But the thought of eating food that has been sitting in a warming bin for 5.5 hours is incredibly unappealing. We‘ll all probably get salmonella. Because what else could go wrong?!

PSA to anyone who thinks they might be on the same flight as I am. Get yourself on another flight. Seriously.
Heading to Paris today from Toronto. My flight was through Montreal. I received a text that my flight was delayed due to an “operational” issue. So I immediately moved to an earlier flight, which is a good thing because my original flight was delayed almost 4 hours and I would’ve missed the connection. My new flight ended up leaving 2 hours late, but I still had 2 hours for the connection. Excellent.
Flight to Paris boarded and everything was looking great. We had to de-ice due to snow in Montreal. When we finished the process we didn’t move. Then there was an announcement looking for a medical doctor for a “passenger issue”. Not sure if there was a doctor on board or not because I’m in the 5th row and the issue was in the back. Anyways, we sat and sat and sat in nowhere land.First we were told that a shuttle was coming to the plane to take 2 passengers off. But the shuttle never arrived. Then an announcement that we were heading back to a gate, BUT this is a wide body aircraft (A330) and not many gates can accommodate a plane this size.So we had to wait and wait and wait. And wait some more. Finally after 3 hours we moved back to the gate. Then an announcement that since we had been on board for over 2 hours anyone who wanted to leave the aircraft was free to leave, but had to talk to an FA first. Apparently at least 1 person (other than the one with the medical issue) got off. Then we had to re-fuel because, you know, we had been sitting somewhere at the airport for 3 hours and must’ve burned a lot of fuel. So now we are de-icing again almost 4.5 hours after we were supposed to leave and I haven’t eaten anything but a granola bar since 4:30 and I’m hangry and tired.
After my fiasco on BA trying to get to Florence in October I am left wondering if perhaps I’m just not meant to travel. Regardless I don’t recommend for anyone who wants a smooth travel experience to get on a flight with me.
The FA told me that it was a mental health issue. I figured it couldn’t have been too serious since there wasn’t a rush to get the person off the plane.
Also a little while ago the FAs came around asking if I’d still like to eat; she was serious. Like we aren’t all starving? But the thought of eating food that has been sitting in a warming bin for 5.5 hours is incredibly unappealing. We‘ll all probably get salmonella. Because what else could go wrong?!
Are you in the air yet? Or at least heading for takeoff? Safe travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter