I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Oh, this is very helpful information! They have quite a few URs and a CSP, so that could definitely be an option. They also have a Cap One. Maybe they could use that for excursions?

Are there any great sites where you can see all the Alaskan cruises available, or do you just have to go to each company's site and see what they offer? I serious know nothing!

Thank you so much!
I would go to cruisesonly.com first. Then put in Alaska and the dates you are looking at. You can also put in other info like # of days, cruise port etc so you can narrow it down. Once I find the cruise that I want then I go to that Cruise Lines website and find my pricing by selecting what kind of cabin I want and where I want to be on the ship.

Once I have all the info, then I will book with Chase so I can make sure everything is correct. Just note - that Chase would essentially be the Travel Agent and any changes (if allowed) would need to go through them. Although excursions, drink packages, dining and stuff you should be able to do on your own once you have your confirmation # with the cruise line and have created an account with that Cruise Line.

With the CSP - if cruise cost was $2000 total, you would use 160,000 UR's. They will ask how many you want to use when booking. I like to add my gratuities on at time of booking so then that is discounted also, when using points. Depending on when they got the CSP and the cost of the cruise. It may be worth it to upgrade to a CSR. The same $2000 cruise would then be 133,333 points instead. Saving 26,667 in points. The Annual Fee is $550 but they would also get a $300 Travel Credit that they could use now and then again when next years fee posts - and then they can downgrade back to CSP or Freedom Card. If the cruise is more expensive then of course, it saves even more. Just a thought.

As long a the Excursions code as Travel - you can erase the charges with Cap One points 1:1. I think you have like 60-90 days after the charge shows up to do this.

Any other questions - just ask. We go on a lot of cruises. Not been to Alaska yet - Covid cancelled that one in 2020..

My understanding is that the Bilt card helps you avoid paying the CC surcharge that you would otherwise pay on paying rent or in some cases HOA fees, while getting reward points.

While you can pay your property taxes on it, you would have to pay any CC fees your county charges for using a CC, which negates any benefits, IMO. Therefore, you might as well pay the property taxes on a card with a SUB you are working on.
That's Bilt the service, not Bilt the card. In the original iteration of Bilt before they got the card deal with Wells Fargo, they either had a deal with the landlord/management company for ACH transactions or they would print and mail a check to your landlord. To the best of my knowledge they never had any deals with governments for taxes.

Planning ahead…I want to ditch P2’s Amex Gold this year. His AF will hit 3/28/24. Last year, he got a retention offer on 3/29/23. He met the requirements and got the retention bonus on 4/8/23. Will he be ok to cancel on 4/9/24? I seem to recall hearing you have to wait 13 months to cancel after a retention bonus, but I’m not sure if that’s accurate or when the 13-month clock starts ticking.

Planning ahead…I want to ditch P2’s Amex Gold this year. His AF will hit 3/28/24. Last year, he got a retention offer on 3/29/23. He met the requirements and got the retention bonus on 4/8/23. Will he be ok to cancel on 4/9/24? I seem to recall hearing you have to wait 13 months to cancel after a retention bonus, but I’m not sure if that’s accurate or when the 13-month clock starts ticking.
Would like to know as well. I thought the 13 months was just the time to wait before asking for another retention. I'm planning to choose DH's Gold, too, this year.

Oh, this is very helpful information! They have quite a few URs and a CSP, so that could definitely be an option. They also have a Cap One. Maybe they could use that for excursions?

Are there any great sites where you can see all the Alaskan cruises available, or do you just have to go to each company's site and see what they offer? I serious know nothing!

Thank you so much!
We did Disney Cruise to Alaska in 2018. Used Disney GCs but purchased cruise thru Costco. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for your parents. I was recently looking for another Alaska cruise for next summer and a big part was seeing Glacier Bay. It is a National park and allows only a few cruise lines in. Norwegian is one and I think Princess (I could be wrong because many cruises leave on a weekday and I was focused on weekend departures). Another thing is July seems to be the best month to see bears and whales if that is their thing. We went at beginning of June, saw 1 bear and only 1 or 2 whales on the whale watching excursion we took. As for the excursions, while we didn't use URs for our cruise, we did book all excursions thru the Chase portal and use URs for that.

Last edited:
However, I am looking to get another CSP in DH's name as soon as there is an elevated offer. He did have one in the past (over 4 years ago). When we get this one, we will keep it for a year and then cancel/downgrade either his or mine.
When it is time try to downgrade to a regular CF not the flex. You will keep the same account number as it will remain a Visa as opposed to switching to a MC if going the CFF route. Since it is a Visa you will be able to use the 5x at Costco since they only take visa when it is the warehouse 5x quarter.

I would go to cruisesonly.com first. Then put in Alaska and the dates you are looking at. You can also put in other info like # of days, cruise port etc so you can narrow it down. Once I find the cruise that I want then I go to that Cruise Lines website and find my pricing by selecting what kind of cabin I want and where I want to be on the ship.

Once I have all the info, then I will book with Chase so I can make sure everything is correct. Just note - that Chase would essentially be the Travel Agent and any changes (if allowed) would need to go through them. Although excursions, drink packages, dining and stuff you should be able to do on your own once you have your confirmation # with the cruise line and have created an account with that Cruise Line.

With the CSP - if cruise cost was $2000 total, you would use 160,000 UR's. They will ask how many you want to use when booking. I like to add my gratuities on at time of booking so then that is discounted also, when using points. Depending on when they got the CSP and the cost of the cruise. It may be worth it to upgrade to a CSR. The same $2000 cruise would then be 133,333 points instead. Saving 26,667 in points. The Annual Fee is $550 but they would also get a $300 Travel Credit that they could use now and then again when next years fee posts - and then they can downgrade back to CSP or Freedom Card. If the cruise is more expensive then of course, it saves even more. Just a thought.

As long a the Excursions code as Travel - you can erase the charges with Cap One points 1:1. I think you have like 60-90 days after the charge shows up to do this.

Any other questions - just ask. We go on a lot of cruises. Not been to Alaska yet - Covid cancelled that one in 2020..

This is all extremely helpful! Thank you!!

I am curious about the excursions coding as travel. May have to dig into that some more.

We did Disney Cruise to Alaska in 2018. Used Disney GCs but purchased cruise thru Costco. I wouldn't necessarily recommend that for your parents. I was recently looking for another Alaska cruise for next summer and a big part was seeing Glacier Bay. It is a National park and allows only a few cruise lines in. Norwegian is one and I think Princess (I could be wrong because many cruises leave on a weekday and I was focused on weekend departures). Another thing is July seems to be the best month to see bears and whales if that is their thing. We went at beginning of June, saw 1 bear and only 1 or 2 whales on the whale watching excursion we took. As for the excursions, while we didn't use URs for our cruise, we did book all excursions thru the Chase portal and use URs for that.

This is great info! And good to know about booking excursions through the Chase portal. I will keep that in mind.

Thank you!

Amex Plat Credits from 1/1 finally posted this morning. already cancelled the card, they offered 35K MR with $5K MSR for keeping the card.

Lucky! My entertainment tracker moved the other day but still no credit. My flight tracker for my 1/2 purchase still hasn't moved. I've passed impatient 🙂

1705003075066.png

Chase used to have a tracker to see how much you spent with the $300.
I can't find it anywhere. Did they remove it?
I know mine was reset in October and am planning to use it with Hertz in March but I never get the full credit (at once that is) as there always seem to be parking charges, ez-pass etc. Just trying to monitor to make sure I haven't already put small travel charges on it already.

View attachment 824983

I know mine was reset in October and am planning to use it with Hertz in March but I never get the full credit (at once that is) as there always seem to be parking charges, ez-pass etc. Just trying to monitor to make sure I haven't already put small travel charges on it already.
From Ultimate Rewards page, should be under Rewards Details>Card Benefits.

From Ultimate Rewards page, should be under Rewards Details>Card Benefits.
That's where I was.

The Pelaton shows 0 pts but the $300 ATC tile doesn't show anything even when clicking learn more.

On the app version I did end up finding it by clicking the card, scrolling down and Rewards and Benefits, Then clicking on Ultimate Rewards, then scroll and scroll and scroll at the very bottom it showed up.

Wish I could find it on the desktop site but at least I was able to see this.

Thanks!

View attachment 824983

On the app from the home page I click on Sapphire Reserve>Rewards and Benefits>Ultimate Rewards and I see it towards the bottom.

On a computer from the home screen it's Sapphire Reserve>Redeem (it'll be at the top of the screen next to your UR total)>scroll down a bit.
And now we all know why I need the big screen!!

Sapphire Reserve>Redeem (it'll be at the top of the screen next to your UR total)>scroll down a bit.
That took me to Ultimate Rewards and it was on that main screen.

I used to get it to like @Crazed4DisneyinSC had mentioned under Rewards details and Card Benefits.

This is much easier I just never thought to scroll down past the ads (Gift Cards, Apple, etc)

Thanks again to you both, @Crazed4DisneyinSC and @lsutigers03!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter