I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

When it is time try to downgrade to a regular CF not the flex. You will keep the same account number as it will remain a Visa as opposed to switching to a MC if going the CFF route. Since it is a Visa you will be able to use the 5x at Costco since they only take visa when it is the warehouse 5x quarter.
Are we able to product change to the old Chase Freedom Visa card? Last time I downgraded, I only remember the CFF Mastercard and the CFU Visa.

We just got back from a 4 night trip to Key West (first time for us). We xferred 135k URs last March to Hyatt (before the devaluation or however you say it) and booked then. Used AA miles for RT tickets from RDU-CLT-EYW (were only 18k each and it was from one of those buy anything with the AA/Barclay card and get 50k pts, happy with that).

We had a great time on the trip, since all the travel/accommodations were essentially free, we sprang for a seaplane trip out to Dry Tortugas NP. That was definitely the highlight (booked that in August, they fill up fast). The weather was very breezy to windy for the most part, but it didn't stop us from snorkeling around Fort Jefferson.

The Hyatt Centric is a fabulous location with the ability to walk to everything but not be in the middle of everything. We walked to Ft Zachary state park and beach which was GORGEOUS. We had plans to return on a different day to actually sit and enjoy the beach, but the winds shifted and the surf was crazy on that side of the island.

My only complaint about the Hyatt Centric is they charged (pending) me $1000 early the morning we were arriving (we weren't arriving until 9pm). When I asked at check-in what that was about (by that time I also had a $300 charge pending), she said something about 1 being a security deposit and the other a pre-charge for incidentals. $1000 for a security deposit seemed high, but given it's Key West I thought maybe it was standard or something. By the next day, the $1000 went from pending to a full charge on my card (plus 80.40 that I presume was tax). So I went back and asked and the person at the desk who seemed very confused why I was charged. She asked if I converted a cash booking to a points booking....nope. Anyway, she reversed it and I see it's now pending with my Amex. We did end up getting 2 drinks at the pool bar one day which was $25, but now I see a $100 charge pending (the $300 dropped). So a little annoying to make sure I'm not overcharged over and over.

Question: a Hyatt booking on points does or does not incur the "resort fee"? The statement on our check out only shows the $25, so I feel like that should be the only thing I'm charged.

We enjoyed our trip as first timers but it is a bit more claustrophobic (understandably) than other beach/tropical vacations and there is no way we would ever have paid for the rack rate at the Hyatt (or anywhere else probably). So it was a perfect redemption for a trip like this. Wish the weather had been sunnier (it was in and out every day) and not so crazy windy, but it's January. It was FANTASTIC to be wearing shorts/Ts.

We just got back from a 4 night trip to Key West (first time for us). We xferred 135k URs last March to Hyatt (before the devaluation or however you say it) and booked then. Used AA miles for RT tickets from RDU-CLT-EYW (were only 18k each and it was from one of those buy anything with the AA/Barclay card and get 50k pts, happy with that).

We had a great time on the trip, since all the travel/accommodations were essentially free, we sprang for a seaplane trip out to Dry Tortugas NP. That was definitely the highlight (booked that in August, they fill up fast). The weather was very breezy to windy for the most part, but it didn't stop us from snorkeling around Fort Jefferson.

The Hyatt Centric is a fabulous location with the ability to walk to everything but not be in the middle of everything. We walked to Ft Zachary state park and beach which was GORGEOUS. We had plans to return on a different day to actually sit and enjoy the beach, but the winds shifted and the surf was crazy on that side of the island.

My only complaint about the Hyatt Centric is they charged (pending) me $1000 early the morning we were arriving (we weren't arriving until 9pm). When I asked at check-in what that was about (by that time I also had a $300 charge pending), she said something about 1 being a security deposit and the other a pre-charge for incidentals. $1000 for a security deposit seemed high, but given it's Key West I thought maybe it was standard or something. By the next day, the $1000 went from pending to a full charge on my card (plus 80.40 that I presume was tax). So I went back and asked and the person at the desk who seemed very confused why I was charged. She asked if I converted a cash booking to a points booking....nope. Anyway, she reversed it and I see it's now pending with my Amex. We did end up getting 2 drinks at the pool bar one day which was $25, but now I see a $100 charge pending (the $300 dropped). So a little annoying to make sure I'm not overcharged over and over.

Question: a Hyatt booking on points does or does not incur the "resort fee"? The statement on our check out only shows the $25, so I feel like that should be the only thing I'm charged.

We enjoyed our trip as first timers but it is a bit more claustrophobic (understandably) than other beach/tropical vacations and there is no way we would ever have paid for the rack rate at the Hyatt (or anywhere else probably). So it was a perfect redemption for a trip like this. Wish the weather had been sunnier (it was in and out every day) and not so crazy windy, but it's January. It was FANTASTIC to be wearing shorts/Ts.
Glad you enjoyed your trip.

You should not have a resort fee if you booked with all points. If you booked with a combination then yes.

Add me to the waiting on United Travel bank, Dell, and Saks credits. My FHR credit credited super quickly though! (Booked 1/2, credited 1/3)
The meter moved for my Dell credit on my PlatBiz today, guessing I'll see the credit in the next day or two. Meters haven't moved for UTB (Plat + Plat Biz) or Saks (Plat). All purchases made the same day so there really seems to be no rhyme or reason!

I did it! I caught up on like a gazillion pages on this thread that had built up during my November and December travels! Lots of excellent info as always, down to the slippers that I just ordered 😆

In late November we were in Italy over 2 weeks, flew Biz class both ways. First time with Emirates--very fancy but I would like more storage space like you get with Air France. All but one night (San Marino) were Hyatt award nights and Globalist got us upgraded in all of those. Went to Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, San Marino, Venice, the Dolomites, Trento, Verona, and Milan. The latter was our least favorite. Meanwhile, loved Florence as others here have also. San Marino was surprisingly gorgeous as well--no need for more than one night here, but such striking views from this mountain-top microstate!

Anyway, love this hobby!
Did you stay at a hyatt in Rome? And which one and your thoughts on it. Thx

Amex Plat Credits from 1/1 finally posted this morning. already cancelled the card, they offered 35K MR with $5K MSR for keeping the card.
Are you in your first year or have you had it for a while? My credits haven't posted from 1/2 yet
and annual fee due end of the month. I would keep the card if they didnt take away audible so
will prob cancel. Feel guilty... Amex CS has been exceptional for me last year. Would like to get
maybe the gold but don't see any good offers.

Last edited:

I now know that if I book separate Hyatt rooms on points, that I only get credit towards elite nights for one of them.

I am wondering if I book 2 rooms at 2 different hotels for the SAME night. Will Hyatt give me elite points in this case? Obviously, I can't be sleeping in both hotels simultaneously. :rolleyes1

I thought I would cancel my personal plat when it came up for the first renewal in Oct, but I took a 25K for $3,000 offer. Wish I would have received the 35K offer. Oh well, I definitely made my money back on last year's fee and anticipate doing so again this year. The lounge access is a cherry on top because I have been traveling a lot.

I now know that if I book separate Hyatt rooms on points, that I only get credit towards elite nights for one of them.

I am wondering if I book 2 rooms at 2 different hotels for the SAME night. Will Hyatt give me elite points in this case? Obviously, I can't be sleeping in both hotels simultaneously. :rolleyes1

You only get elite nights for the room you're in (doesn't matter if it's booked on points or cash). So by the terms, you shouldn't get double elite nights for overlapping stays. Maybe there are some cases where the system credits both, but I don't think it's something you can count on.

Recently was approved for the Chase Hyatt card and met the $3K spend for 30,000 points. I could spend another $15K for another 30,000 points. This just does not seem like a good deal, even though I would hate to leave the extra points. Is there something I'm missing? Like extra benefits to putting more spend on the Hyatt card? Or any tips for maximining the card's benefits?

Recently was approved for the Chase Hyatt card and met the $3K spend for 30,000 points. I could spend another $15K for another 30,000 points. This just does not seem like a good deal, even though I would hate to leave the extra points. Is there something I'm missing? Like extra benefits to putting more spend on the Hyatt card? Or any tips for maximining the card's benefits?

15k spend also gets you a fnc on the personal card which I think this offer is from.

I have a stay booked for April at an IHG hotel. It's two nights and I should be getting a FNC this month. Can I call them and apply the FNC to the existing reservation? If not what's the best way to rebook two nights and use the FNC?

It's a very misleading offer. It's not actually 30k more points, but 1 additional point until you hit $15k. So the total SUB would be 45k if you maxed out at $15k spend. The other 15k is points you'd get anyways.

That said, if I was chasing Globalist, I would spend to $15k to get the FNC and elite nights (2 elite nights per $5000 spend).

Keep in mind that if you plan to churn the card, the date of the last additional point transaction is the date of last SUB for the 24 months criteria. I'd say it's not worth churning though unless you're chasing status (5 elite nights from old card, 5 from new card).

Planning out P2's CP strategy, and I think in the past we've done both MDD and 1 each personal/biz. Leaning towards the latter since I didn't have a good result with the sapphire MDD. Anyone have a personal preference or recent experience?

That's a pretty solid retention offer. I might keep one of two open if I was offered that. Gosh, I always do this, say I'm done with this coupon book stuff and then I get sucked back in.
I thought about it for a split second but then remembered my goal for 2024 and said no. Goal for 2024 is to keep annual fee expenses under $1,500.
Coupon book isn’t necessary, I keep buying Dell items I don’t really need and we have plenty of SW points for domestic flights. I refuse to use airline credit on United because we’ve been burned on the last 2 United flights we’ve taken.

Stick to my 2024 goal.

Got the $100 United credit this morning from my travel bank purchase on 1/2.
I was hoping my Southwest purchases would credit today. I purchased on 01/03 and last year they credited in 9 days. This at least gives me hope I can see it at 10 days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter