I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

No update yesterday because I was sick last night. I decided to try the famous Cowboy Hat Lady’s pork dish at a night food market. I tend to have a sensitive stomach, but talking to others gave me enough confidence to think that I would be okay. Tbh I didn’t really like it, so didn’t eat much. I barely made it back to my hotel by tuk tuk. Ugh. What a stupid mistake. I feel better this morning, thank goodness. Being sick on a solo trip is one of my biggest worries and I have learned a lesson from this — don’t take risks with my health.

Yesterday I had a driver / guide pick me up from the hotel to go to an “elephant sanctuary”. I did not enjoy this at all. First of all, he left me in a parking lot to board a tram to the “park” and the tram driver did not speak English, nor did the other 2 passengers. We arrived in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere and were told to get off. In this area there were several Asian elephants chained by the leg eating while waiting for a “show” to begin. I was very angry with myself for supporting this with my admission and left immediately. This was the antithesis of what I wanted to experience. I had asked to visit the Friends of the Asian Animal Hospital, which luckily wasn’t too far away. This hospital treats elephants who have stepped on land mines, assists with live births, cares for sick and injured animals and provides a loving home for the duration of their lives if they aren’t well enough to survive on their own (they have 2 elephants that stepped on land mines that will live there for the remainder of their days). There seems to be a broad range of what people here consider ethical, but most of the excursions I have seen advertised make me sad for the elephants.

Next up we went to the Lanna Temple, which is a very holy site. There were several tour buses and dozens of school children. It was quite pretty. On the way back to Chiang Mai we stopped at a roadside pottery market, which was interesting. I purchased 2 small flower pots (I only have carry-on), one a cat and the other an elephant. Super cute! Then we went to another temple which was nice, but at this point I realized I have seen enough temples. On our way back we stopped at a local roadside market and ugh, omg it was disgusting. My guide came through me to point out what items were for sale. Remember my previous comment that I have a sensitive stomach? I felt nauseous. Definitely could have done without this stop. Luckily I was smart enough to pack a cheese sandwich from my breakfast spread because I think this was our lunch stop 🤮. By this point I wanted to be back in Chiang Mai, so we made a quick stop on the ‘silver street’ on our way back (nothing appealing to me). We arrived back 90 minutes early.

Before my ill-fated trip to the night food market I wandered around Old Town and had a foot massage at a shop that has trained former female prisoners to help them with gainful employment when they are released. This was my third foot massage since arriving in Chiang Mai!

No plans for today. I am going to read by the pool for a while hoping that my breakfast of plain toast stays down. If all is okay then I will head to the Nimman area and wander around Old Town this afternoon. I’m going to stick with hotel food for the remainder of today, as plain as possible.

Tomorrow I’m off to Koh Samui for a 5 night stay at the Cape Fahn. The Cape Fahn is a SLH and I booked using Hyatt points (20k / night — I think it has gone up since I booked). Stay includes breakfast and mini bar. I will have my own private villa with pool overlooking the ocean which looks lovely. I had also booked the Conrad using HH points, but ultimately decided to stick with the Cape Fahn.

Sorry so few pictures, upload speed is very slow. If the WiFi is better at the Cape Fahn I will load more pictures.

Lanna Temple

IMG_6677.jpeg

Booonme, who stepped on a land mine when she was 7 (she’s 20 now). She will live the remainder of years at the elephant hospital
IMG_6633.jpeg

Neither the CIU or the Bilt that my parents' applied for have arrived even though Chase was suppose to expedite her CIU. Supposedly Chase mailed it by rush delivery yesterday but she didn't get anything by the end of day today. :charac2:

She's having out patient surgery tomorrow and she has about a $2900 to pay when she checks in at the hospital that I was hoping to put on one of the new cards. Currently, I can put $1300 on an existing card to finish up a SUB.

Trying to figure out what card to use to put the remaining balance on, AMEX Gold, Capital One Venture, or on my Dad's CIU. I am leaning towards the CIU because they will get 1.5 points on the charge. What do you all think? Thanks!

Neither the CIU or the Bilt that my parents' applied for have arrived even though Chase was suppose to expedite her CIU. Supposedly Chase mailed it by rush delivery yesterday but she didn't get anything by the end of day today. :charac2:

She's having out patient surgery tomorrow and she has about a $2900 to pay when she checks in at the hospital that I was hoping to put on one of the new cards. Currently, I can put $1300 on an existing card to finish up a SUB.

Trying to figure out what card to use to put the remaining balance on, AMEX Gold, Capital One Venture, or on my Dad's CIU. I am leaning towards the CIU because they will get 1.5 points on the charge. What do you all think? Thanks!

Well, there was a problem with using my Dad's CIU for payment. I tried it twice. So, I just put the entire amount on the Gold Amex that I was finishing the SUB on. I figure, not every place accepts AMEX.

No update yesterday because I was sick last night. I decided to try the famous Cowboy Hat Lady’s pork dish at a night food market. I tend to have a sensitive stomach, but talking to others gave me enough confidence to think that I would be okay. Tbh I didn’t really like it, so didn’t eat much. I barely made it back to my hotel by tuk tuk. Ugh. What a stupid mistake. I feel better this morning, thank goodness. Being sick on a solo trip is one of my biggest worries and I have learned a lesson from this — don’t take risks with my health.

Yesterday I had a driver / guide pick me up from the hotel to go to an “elephant sanctuary”. I did not enjoy this at all. First of all, he left me in a parking lot to board a tram to the “park” and the tram driver did not speak English, nor did the other 2 passengers. We arrived in what seemed to be the middle of nowhere and were told to get off. In this area there were several Asian elephants chained by the leg eating while waiting for a “show” to begin. I was very angry with myself for supporting this with my admission and left immediately. This was the antithesis of what I wanted to experience. I had asked to visit the Friends of the Asian Animal Hospital, which luckily wasn’t too far away. This hospital treats elephants who have stepped on land mines, assists with live births, cares for sick and injured animals and provides a loving home for the duration of their lives if they aren’t well enough to survive on their own (they have 2 elephants that stepped on land mines that will live there for the remainder of their days). There seems to be a broad range of what people here consider ethical, but most of the excursions I have seen advertised make me sad for the elephants.

Next up we went to the Lanna Temple, which is a very holy site. There were several tour buses and dozens of school children. It was quite pretty. On the way back to Chiang Mai we stopped at a roadside pottery market, which was interesting. I purchased 2 small flower pots (I only have carry-on), one a cat and the other an elephant. Super cute! Then we went to another temple which was nice, but at this point I realized I have seen enough temples. On our way back we stopped at a local roadside market and ugh, omg it was disgusting. My guide came through me to point out what items were for sale. Remember my previous comment that I have a sensitive stomach? I felt nauseous. Definitely could have done without this stop. Luckily I was smart enough to pack a cheese sandwich from my breakfast spread because I think this was our lunch stop 🤮. By this point I wanted to be back in Chiang Mai, so we made a quick stop on the ‘silver street’ on our way back (nothing appealing to me). We arrived back 90 minutes early.

Before my ill-fated trip to the night food market I wandered around Old Town and had a foot massage at a shop that has trained former female prisoners to help them with gainful employment when they are released. This was my third foot massage since arriving in Chiang Mai!

No plans for today. I am going to read by the pool for a while hoping that my breakfast of plain toast stays down. If all is okay then I will head to the Nimman area and wander around Old Town this afternoon. I’m going to stick with hotel food for the remainder of today, as plain as possible.

Tomorrow I’m off to Koh Samui for a 5 night stay at the Cape Fahn. The Cape Fahn is a SLH and I booked using Hyatt points (20k / night — I think it has gone up since I booked). Stay includes breakfast and mini bar. I will have my own private villa with pool overlooking the ocean which looks lovely. I had also booked the Conrad using HH points, but ultimately decided to stick with the Cape Fahn.

Sorry so few pictures, upload speed is very slow. If the WiFi is better at the Cape Fahn I will load more pictures.

Lanna Temple

View attachment 826943

Booonme, who stepped on a land mine when she was 7 (she’s 20 now). She will live the remainder of years at the elephant hospital
View attachment 826944
Oh, poor baby! Sometimes I wonder if I should quit my job and just go work protecting/taking care of elephants. Sigh.

Last edited:

Update: I think I'm now able to link my credit union account to my CIC. I attempted a relatively small payment to my CIC. Payment is not showing on my credit union account, and it's showing as pending on my CIC. We will see. (hoping, hoping).
This sounds promising.
It makes sense since you made the payment on the chase site/app it is showing pending there and not your CU.
It may not show on your CU until Monday/Tuesday do to the weekend.

If it's worth it to you, once your mom's CIU arrives and you've tested it, you might try calling the hospital and seeing if they'll reverse and recharge the preferred card. Might be worth a shot.

Anyone have experience with family friendly hotels in Vegas that will sleep 5? My kids are still young so a couch or roll-away is fine, but the websites won't even let me add more than 2 kids to the room to search. It'll just be 1 night, but I'd still love if it was near something the kids would find fun to do.

I haven’t paid attention to any cruise talk since we usually go to Orlando to visit our son and do Disney vacations. But we are going to be married 40 years in September.
Good friends will be celebrating also and want to do a Mediterranean cruise this August….I know we are really late with this.
They are suggesting the NCL Epic….does anyone have any experience with this ship and or NCL in general.
Any and all advice/help on where to look for pricing etc is appreciated

Edited to add…I started researching the ship and doesn’t seem to have very good reviews….looking into other ships that have stops I. Italy and Greece

Last edited:
I haven’t paid attention to any cruise talk since we usually go to Orlando to visit our son and do Disney vacations. But we are going to be married 40 years in September.
Good friends will be celebrating also and want to do a Mediterranean cruise this August….I know we are really late with this.
They are suggesting the NCL Epic….does anyone have any experience with this ship and or NCL in general.
Sorry I don't have any advice.

I did want to say congratulations!!

We're sailing NCL on the Epic in June. You can get pricing on the website, just make sure to take it through to the end because it won't add taxes and fees until the last possible step. For NCL info, I use cruisecritic.com.

Edited to add…I started researching the ship and doesn’t seem to have very good reviews….looking into other ships that have stops I. Italy and Greece

We've sailed NCL a couple times and enjoyed it. I like that the main dining room dinner times are more flexible, though I still make a reservation so we don't have to wait. I also like the free speciality dining that's always included in the promos.

Once you've decided on the ship, date, cabin type, request a quote on cruisecompete.com. Figure you can get about 10% discount or onboard credit from the pre-tax fare.

look into Virgin Voyages. adults only, great food, no annoying announcements. they have a few Mediterranean and greek cruises

If it's worth it to you, once your mom's CIU arrives and you've tested it, you might try calling the hospital and seeing if they'll reverse and recharge the preferred card. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. Of course the card came in today after we got back from the hospital. :rolleyes1

I think I'm going to let things be. Unfortunately, Mom's surgery was not successful today and will need additional surgeries to fix her issue. She has a 40% deductible because the hospital is out of network. and her annual max OOP has not been reached yet. She will have more opportunities to complete the MSR for SUBs for the CIU she will be receiving as well as any future ones, all organically.

That's the silver lining in a very disappointing day for her. She was hoping that this would be her last surgery...

Thanks for the suggestion. Of course the card came in today after we got back from the hospital. :rolleyes1

I think I'm going to let things be. Unfortunately, Mom's surgery was not successful today and will need additional surgeries to fix her issue. She has a 40% deductible because the hospital is out of network. and her annual max OOP has not been reached yet. She will have more opportunities to complete the MSR for SUBs for the CIU she will be receiving as well as any future ones, all organically.

That's the silver lining in a very disappointing day for her. She was hoping that this would be her last surgery...
So sorry your Moms surgery was not successful sending 🙏🙏the next one is

I was up super early (again) today and was in my Hilton app. I noticed that I had 3 FNCs. Upon clicking through them, noticed one is a “goodwill” FNC from AmEx! I wasted no time and booked a third night at the Aleph Rome. Yay AmEx for coming through on their promise to do something for the inconvenience of waiting 4 months for my SUB. Though tbh I did not expect such a generous goodwill gesture!

A few more pics from my day trip:

Roadside market for locals that live in the countryside ( about an hour outside of Chiang Mai)
IMG_6693.jpeg

Wat Phra That Hariphunchai

IMG_6702.jpeg

IMG_6699.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6698.jpeg
    IMG_6698.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter