• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

The two Hyatt CCs have elevated SUBs until 3/6, and I'm tempted to help me keep Globalist beyond this year. I was waiting for an elevated SUB to get the personal one since I figured it would be a keeper for me, but the higher offer is only 5K more points than normal. Meanwhile, the Biz card is 15K higher. I wouldn't be getting any new cards until close to the end date of the elevated SUB (around early March), so I'd only be getting one. Seems like I should plan to apply for the Biz one, then, right? Or am I missing something?

My previous ways of earning Globalist were promotions and mattress runs, these cards seem like a lot less work 😆
ITA. I am eyeing the biz Hyatt card for the elevated offer. I can always get excellent redemption values with Hyatt points.

Not a DL expert- have only been once. Are you a "I could sleep anywhere, it's just a room" type person or are you a "I really like a nice accomodation" person? It was on our only trip to DL where we stayed at the Howard Johnson, which so many people on the DL forum raved about. On the backend of the trip we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on property. It wasn't until we got to the Disneyland Hotel that I felt like I was actually on vacation. That trip really helped me solidify some of my travel style. Now I know that I like nice lodging and it sort of makes/breaks a trip for me.
Even though we may barely be in the room - we still like nicer accommodations. Ideally something right across the street but am open to walking a bit too. (not more than half mile or so). For the on site hotels - the Pixar Place was cheapest but still $2300 for 4 nights. Not going to pay this as this is just an added little trip this year.

If you value your feet and time, book the WOC dessert party. You get dessert and a drink but even better, chairs to sit on. People line up hours ahead for that show. It's very unique and nothing you'll see at WDW. Fantasmic was good, we did a dining package when we went last because I had a broken shoulder at the time. I felt it was worth it because I'm not a stand in-line forever kind of person. I'm not a huge Fantasmic fan but it was definitely different than the WDW version.
For hotels, most of the really close places are motels. There are some chain hotels, most are a bit of a walk and farther than the motels. If I had no budget I'd for sure do with Grand Californian, but in real life I'm fine with a motel since it's close and we spend way more time in the parks. That said, many of the motels are conveniently close to take a break mid day which we never do at WDW. Also park hopping is amazingly easy, and so close. Have fun!
Thanks for this. Yeah - I am not about to sit on the ground. I might never get back up!! Will definitely have to look into those.

I've stayed at the PHNY on points before but it was booked about 6 months before. The Park Hyatts and the Andazes (sp?) seem to want a certain number of nights, and calling Hyatt can't always fix it. I tried to add a 2 night stay onto a 7 night Andaz stay in Maui (with a suite upgrade so it needs to be a different reservation) and even the Globalist concierge couldn't get them to agree to do it. It's ok, we are staying somewhere else for those 2 nights so we can use up the Hilton resort coupon book credits and our FHR credit, but it's really annoying that Hyatt is doing this.
yeah last time I went was in January I got a prive rate less than 500$ a night and got upgraded to a suite, I was supposed to get upgraded to that special suite but the globalist that was in there didn't have the room ready or something. I may have a point problem (we all do on this thread to some degree) but I want 2+ a point. I have no problem getting this I realize that that rate isn't normal either, I mean I have to go for Lifetime Globalist so sometimes I have to spend too :) Also it was really cold and I cant remember the exact number but we got 3 FC tickets for under 275 a pop was a great trip.

Just got back from 5 nights at Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana - loved it :thumbsup2 Fabulous resort which I was fortunate to book a year ago at 25k pts per night before the huge increase to 40/45k per night. As such, I got close to 4c/pt redemption value.

Was upgraded to club room as a globalist - not much difference to the standard room but better view. We were assigned a butler (not that we really know what to do with one :o ) and whilst we didn't ask her for much, she was great and helped us with dinner reservations - though technically, they don't take reservations - and late checkout. She also arranged a couple nice surprises on my wife's birthday.

Very impressed with resort - excellent service, good food (surprisingly so for an all-inclusive), wonderful pools and beach - there were a couple minor niggles with the housekeeping, but they were minor and did not detract from our opinion of the resort.

I'm not into trip reports - but happy to answer any questions. I didn't think I would ever consider this resort at 45k/nt , but having stayed there, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Club rooms seem to go for over $900/nt at this time of year, so that still represents 2c/pt redemption which is still OK. That said, it is rare that we go back to the same resort when there are so many new places to try....but who knows.

Just got back from 5 nights at Hyatt Zilara Cap Cana - loved it :thumbsup2 Fabulous resort which I was fortunate to book a year ago at 25k pts per night before the huge increase to 40/45k per night. As such, I got close to 4c/pt redemption value.

Was upgraded to club room as a globalist - not much difference to the standard room but better view. We were assigned a butler (not that we really know what to do with one :o ) and whilst we didn't ask her for much, she was great and helped us with dinner reservations - though technically, they don't take reservations - and late checkout. She also arranged a couple nice surprises on my wife's birthday.

Very impressed with resort - excellent service, good food (surprisingly so for an all-inclusive), wonderful pools and beach - there were a couple minor niggles with the housekeeping, but they were minor and did not detract from our opinion of the resort.

I'm not into trip reports - but happy to answer any questions. I didn't think I would ever consider this resort at 45k/nt , but having stayed there, I wouldn't completely rule it out. Club rooms seem to go for over $900/nt at this time of year, so that still represents 2c/pt redemption which is still OK. That said, it is rare that we go back to the same resort when there are so many new places to try....but who knows.
from what ive read zilara resort club level has different booze and a special restaurant most of the time . What a great deal.

Not a DL expert- have only been once. Are you a "I could sleep anywhere, it's just a room" type person or are you a "I really like a nice accomodation" person? It was on our only trip to DL where we stayed at the Howard Johnson, which so many people on the DL forum raved about. On the backend of the trip we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on property. It wasn't until we got to the Disneyland Hotel that I felt like I was actually on vacation. That trip really helped me solidify some of my travel style. Now I know that I like nice lodging and it sort of makes/breaks a trip for me.
I had a really similar experience to yours!

When we went to DL a few years ago I booked a split stay between the Fairfield Inn opposite DL and the GCH... The Fairfield Inn really was just a place to sleep, whereas we completely enjoyed staying at the GCH - helped that it was Christmas season so it also had the gingerbread house, tree, Santa, and carollers! But I managed to book the GCH on a pretty good price - and whether I'd book it again would depend on the price of the room.

But yes I also realised from that trip that I really like staying somewhere nice when on holiday! It's just whether my budget allows it (sometimes yes, sometimes no). There's also a bit of lifestyle creep here since when I went to DL as a university student I was more than happy staying in a cheap old motel (that no longer seems to exist) nearby...

There's also a bit of lifestyle creep here since when I went to DL as a university student I was more than happy staying in a cheap old motel (that no longer seems to exist) nearby...
Ha! DH and I were musing that when we went to WDW together in college, we used to stay at a Red Roof Inn in Kissimmee for $49 per night 🤣
Back then. we didn't care about the half hour drive to the hotel after park closing with our feet hurting. Now, we have to stay on property, lol. DVC certainly had a lot to do with that, but also being used to nice accomodations in centrally-located places during our travels thanks to the CC/points hobby

from what ive read zilara resort club level has different booze and a special restaurant most of the time . What a great deal.

Yeah, there is a club bar with some premium booze, but it was pretty dead in there so we never used it. The 'club' restaurants were for breakfast and lunch - nice option with excellent service.

The two Hyatt CCs have elevated SUBs until 3/6, and I'm tempted to help me keep Globalist beyond this year. I was waiting for an elevated SUB to get the personal one since I figured it would be a keeper for me, but the higher offer is only 5K more points than normal. Meanwhile, the Biz card is 15K higher. I wouldn't be getting any new cards until close to the end date of the elevated SUB (around early March), so I'd only be getting one. Seems like I should plan to apply for the Biz one, then, right? Or am I missing something?

My previous ways of earning Globalist were promotions and mattress runs, these cards seem like a lot less work 😆

Makes sense to go for the more elevated SUB next. But do you plan to get the personal sometime this year? That comes with 5 elite nights for holding the card. If the plan is to only get one, then it's a harder choice.

Makes sense to go for the more elevated SUB next. But do you plan to get the personal sometime this year? That comes with 5 elite nights for holding the card. If the plan is to only get one, then it's a harder choice.
I think I would end up getting the personal, but Hyatt might throw in a wrench with some fast track way of reaching Globalist that might negate the need for the two cards. Last year they had the Bilt promo. I guess I'll see if something like that has happened by March, then decide.

Okay refresh me on how cancel an Amex card is in relations to the AF posting. I think my AF for my Delta Plat Biz will post this month. I'm thinking of using the new $200 "stay" credit on a hotel for Ireland. I can pay now or pay when I stay. Since we're not 100% sure we're going, I want to wait and pay when we stay. But I'm not sure when my AF posts and how long I have until I have to cancel. Even if I get a partial credit, I'd be okay with that. The stay would likely be mid-March. I opened the card 2/5/23.

Back to reading, LOL. Page 237

Okay refresh me on how cancel an Amex card is in relations to the AF posting. I think my AF for my Delta Plat Biz will post this month. I'm thinking of using the new $200 "stay" credit on a hotel for Ireland. I can pay now or pay when I stay. Since we're not 100% sure we're going, I want to wait and pay when we stay. But I'm not sure when my AF posts and how long I have until I have to cancel. Even if I get a partial credit, I'd be okay with that. The stay would likely be mid-March. I opened the card 2/5/23.

Back to reading, LOL. Page 237

30 days to cancel. They don't prorate an af if you can after the 30 days only if you downgrade.

I'd look back at your Feb and March statements to see when it posted last year.

All caught up. YAY!

Hilton generally does have a terrible redemption rate. However, I feel like I maximized the benefits of getting a couple cards when their SUB was high. I think I got 5-6 nts total out of 2 SUBs (1 personal and 1 biz). I have the Aspire that gives me Diamond status and 1 free night per year plus some other benefits I am able to use. I have gone all in on Hilton over the past year or so because a friend added me to her employee friends and family list, so I get to use that discount. I earn money on those rates plus I get a lot of bonus pts by using their credit card. As someone else said, the 100% pts purchase can be a good deal too.
I've been almost all Hilton since being added too! I really want to get a part time gig like she has when I retire.

Hm, you know, I didn't look into Delta Stays before jumping into conclusions! This may be a useful perk after all.
I have the Plat Biz but was going to downgrade to the Gold Biz when renewal comes up. I didn't catch the fee went to $150. But I guess it'll be wiped by using the credit. The airline credit is useless for me. And the Plat credits aren't worth the cost.

30 days to cancel. They don't prorate an af if you can after the 30 days only if you downgrade.

I'd look back at your Feb and March statements to see when it posted last year.
It posted 2/21 last year. So I'm assuming that means it would be 2/21 this year? And I have 30 days from then to cancel, well downgrade likely.

Well, looks like Delta Stays is just an Expedia overlay. Here's how this was helpful for me:
I'm staying two nights at a Hyatt Place outside Atlanta for my cousin's son's birthday party. First night was 8K Hyatt points, the second was 9.5K. I found the property on Delta Stays and it was $147 per night on either night--so I'm using up the credit on my Delta Biz Gold ($150) to book the second night and saving the 9.5K points. At check in, I'll ask for the reservations to be linked so I don't have to move rooms, but I'd be okay if they say they can't do it (though I really think they will do it).

The only negative is not getting the 1 night stay credit, but it's okay.
Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't looked at the updated benefits. But DH has a Delta Gold Biz, does he get the new benefits?

I see there's a $75k Barclay AAviator offer. I think I might jump on that as I need a spend (though it has none, LOL). Anyone know if Barclay is a decent 2nd card for an 18 (almost 19yo). My daughter's BFFs live in Texas. It would be an easy way for her to see them. ETA: Instant approval for $30k. I guess Barclay loves me more for personal cards. As my biz cards all have like $900 limits, LOL.

I guess also back to look for a card to put my taxes on, LOL. I guess I could always just add it to the Hilton Surpass towards my $15k spend. I used that for the fridge, and the property taxes. Then I normally buy VGC w/ it throughout the year to hit the $15k, LOL.

Thanks for sharing this, I hadn't looked at the updated benefits. But DH has a Delta Gold Biz, does he get the new benefits?
A tracker should already show on the website. Mine does for the Delta Plat Biz.

Last edited:
Biz Gold is what I have. I think that's better than the personal because the AF is the same but the Delta Stay credit is higher ($150 vs $100). The other benefits are the same, free 1st checked bags and 15% off point bookings.

I remember a while back people using a Rental Property as their business were getting denials from Chase. Has that changed? My sister is going to apply for a CIP and that is what she would use as a business, wanted to be sure there still weren't issues going on with that category. Thanks!

Even though we may barely be in the room - we still like nicer accommodations. Ideally something right across the street but am open to walking a bit too. (not more than half mile or so). For the on site hotels - the Pixar Place was cheapest but still $2300 for 4 nights. Not going to pay this as this is just an added little trip this year.
Courtyard Marriott Theme Park Entrance would be perfect, and I’m sure it would meet your expectations. But it’s pricey, with cash or points. But I think it would be exactly what you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter