• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Well, I just messed up my SW Biz promo that I applied for last September. I hit the first bonus 6,000 points in January which is what I wanted to do, but I thought the total spend was $12,000 and I wanted to hit it by the end of January to get my companion pass early February.

Well, the total spend was $15,000 ($12,000 additional), so I will not hit until end of February/beginning of March. We have one flight booked on Feb 23rd and the return flight is March 3rd. I'm now hoping that I'll get it in time to change the March 3rd flight to use the companion pass. The good thing is our flight on 2/23 was only $82 (5,176 points) each, so not too much lost, but still makes me mad at myself!!

Does anyone know the formula/points value that Chase is using for their 1099-MISC forms? I received several this year, two for personal SW cards, and one for Bonvoy. I did the 5 50k FNC's, and my 1099 is for $330.68, which seems like an odd number. Also, for my SW cards, I had 2 referrals on one of the cards, and the 1099 was for $500, and for the other I don't think there were any referrals and it was for $70. Could it be adding anniversary points in somehow? Not saying these are wrong, but I'd like to understand their valuation. Thank you!

Chase uses 1 cent per point. The 1099 for FNC SUB makes no sense, but I know others have gotten it too.

I think that I could have written this sentence! As I have worked on our lodging for our Italy trip in May, I have quickly realized the places that I want to stay are incredibly expensive. Definitely needing more chase points.
Honestly, I've had sticker shock pretty much every time I try to book a hotel. We are traveling more than ever right now, but also booking almost every night on points.

Well, I just messed up my SW Biz promo that I applied for last September. I hit the first bonus 6,000 points in January which is what I wanted to do, but I thought the total spend was $12,000 and I wanted to hit it by the end of January to get my companion pass early February.

Well, the total spend was $15,000 ($12,000 additional), so I will not hit until end of February/beginning of March. We have one flight booked on Feb 23rd and the return flight is March 3rd. I'm now hoping that I'll get it in time to change the March 3rd flight to use the companion pass. The good thing is our flight on 2/23 was only $82 (5,176 points) each, so not too much lost, but still makes me mad at myself!!
Not too bad, at least. When I started reading your message I thought you were going to say you missed the window to earn the SUB (though I should have known better as we're working on the same SUB and I know it's not over until June, lol).

DH is $500 away from meeting it, so it'll definitely be done this month. We have one roundtrip in late Feb that won't be covered, but I got a promotional CP last August that is good January through March 8 so we're using that for this first trip. Love SWA!

ETA: do you see the tracker on the app? That's pretty useful to know how much spend you have left to do

Does anyone know the formula/points value that Chase is using for their 1099-MISC forms? I received several this year, two for personal SW cards, and one for Bonvoy. I did the 5 50k FNC's, and my 1099 is for $330.68, which seems like an odd number. Also, for my SW cards, I had 2 referrals on one of the cards, and the 1099 was for $500, and for the other I don't think there were any referrals and it was for $70. Could it be adding anniversary points in somehow? Not saying these are wrong, but I'd like to understand their valuation. Thank you!
They use 1 cent per point, for the SW cards did you receive a $100 retention offer on the one and $70 on the other ?

and this was my experience,but it was awhile ago (7 yrs) WOC is incredible, but we stood in line for the dessert party for well over an hour. sitting at the table was nice after that, but it was annoying to see all the regular crowds go in and settle down while we stood there.....and paid for it.
That's true in as far as you have to stand in line twice, once for your table and then a little later when you return to get seated. Both times, we just missed the cut-off for the first group to be seated. There are a lot of benches in the waiting area, though, so some people are able to sit on benches, depending upon your position in line. And you do get to sit for an hour or so before the show and of course during the show.

The first time we went last April, it was incredibly confusing where to stand, which created a lot of conflict between two groups that were waiting for the same show in two different areas. I complained about it by e-mailing the Disneyland president directly when guest relations was completely unhelpful and was comped a return visit, which we used this past Christmas Eve. By then, it was incredibly organized and impossible to miss where you were supposed to wait.

It's all over the place and seems impossible to tell what the numbers are based on. My Marriott for 3 50K FN was $460.79! So you got off easy there. Can't be based on usage as I haven't used them yet.

DH referred me for that Marriott card, and got 40,000 pts for it, but he did not get a 1099 for that. I'm wondering if it will come along many months down the road.

It's all over the place and seems impossible to tell what the numbers are based on. My Marriott for 3 50K FN was $460.79! So you got off easy there. Can't be based on usage as I haven't used them yet.

DH referred me for that Marriott card, and got 40,000 pts for it, but he did not get a 1099 for that. I'm wondering if it will come along many months down the road.

I still don't get why some have gotten a 1099 for the fnc subs, no one should have. It's given based on spend. Only referrals or retention that don't require a spend should be reported.

I haven't gotten anything but if I had referrals last year it was only one or two. Still waiting on some but I'm guessing they are online and just didn't notify me. Now I just wait for my stuff from Edward Jones so I can file in a couple of weeks.

I still don't get why some have gotten a 1099 for the fnc subs, no one should have. It's given based on spend. Only referrals or retention that don't require a spend should be reported.

I haven't gotten anything but if I had referrals last year it was only one or two. Still waiting on some but I'm guessing they are online and just didn't notify me. Now I just wait for my stuff from Edward Jones so I can file in a couple of weeks.
If it’s Chase they unfortunately aren’t available online

Browsing the comments on DoC no one gets it. People are even getting different valued 1099s for the FNC offers despite them being the same offers. Lots of weirdness in Chase’s 1099s this year. I’m not in this boat but this seems ripe for revised 1099s down the road…

If it’s Chase they unfortunately aren’t available online

Nope, my various hysa's. I know they'll be online it's just some email when they are ready and others don't. Need to get them all sorted so I can print them.

Browsing the comments on DoC no one gets it. People are even getting different valued 1099s for the FNC offers despite them being the same offers. Lots of weirdness in Chase’s 1099s this year. I’m not in this boat but this seems ripe for revised 1099s down the road…

I haven't gotten one for my 5 fnc so we'll see. But chase always seems to mess up their 1099s which I don't get how

They use 1 cent per point, for the SW cards did you receive a $100 retention offer on the one and $70 on the other ?
Yes I did. Thank you, that's what it is!

Oh, my DH will not be happy with me if that happens and we have to file an amended return. He's hoping to file soon.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess at least I'm not alone 🙂

Need recommendations…. Planning our first trip to Aulani at the end of sept. Will have to fly from MEM to either LGB or LAX to make connection to HNL. We’ve never been on the west coast so this is unknown territory for us. Is one airport better or easier to navigate than the other? We will have a 4 year old with us also. What’s a good hotel near each airport? Only going to be there to sleep so it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive, but don’t want a dump either. Something near the airport.

Need recommendations…. Planning our first trip to Aulani at the end of sept. Will have to fly from MEM to either LGB or LAX to make connection to HNL. We’ve never been on the west coast so this is unknown territory for us. Is one airport better or easier to navigate than the other? We will have a 4 year old with us also. What’s a good hotel near each airport? Only going to be there to sleep so it doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive, but don’t want a dump either. Something near the airport.

I would fly into and stay near the airport you're flying out of to HNL, it'll just be easier.

We flew into LGB from BWI last summer when going to DL. It’s a super small airport. Like maybe 10 gates. They board from both the front & back of the plane (at least we did flying Southwest home). There’s a few restaurant options. We are flying into there again this year.

Attachments

• IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 5
  • 70879093795__4A9171E8-0CD2-451E-86D3-B2DEC8D0B22D.jpeg
    70879093795__4A9171E8-0CD2-451E-86D3-B2DEC8D0B22D.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
We flew into LGB from BWI last summer when going to DL. It’s a super small airport. Like maybe 10 gates. They board from both the front & back of the plane (at least we did flying Southwest home). There’s a few restaurant options. We are flying into there again this year.
That’s good to know. We’ve never been to LAX, but on movies it always seems super big and busy so I was hoping LGB would be an easier option. 😆

Was Global Entry expiration extended during Covid? We got GE back in August 2019. I read you can reapply at the 4 year mark. So, went to do that and it says that my GE does not expire until June 2025 and I can't renew until June 2024. Almost an entire year longer than it should be....
Expiration is based on your birth date. You get 5 years from your next birthday, so your first membership can be up to 6 years from approval. After that it'll be 5 years from the last expiration date.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter