I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Do you know of any hotels that might be a good option? We can fly into either one, the prices are basically identical.
I haven’t stayed at any of the local airports near Long Beach as we Ubered directly to DL upon landing but I remember there was a Holiday Inn very close to the airport. Looking at Google maps there’s also a Marriott close by. I’m sure there’s a few others. We arrived mid morning and there was no traffic. If the cost is the same I’d fly into LGB.

I haven’t stayed at any of the local airports near Long Beach as we Ubered directly to DL upon landing but I remember there was a Holiday Inn very close to the airport. Looking at Google maps there’s also a Marriott close by. I’m sure there’s a few others. We arrived mid morning and there was no traffic. If the cost is the same I’d fly into LGB.
I agree. I like the idea of the smaller airport so I think that’s what we will do.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - but I have an overnight layover at JFK so am looking for a hotel close to the airport to spend the night.

Currently I've booked the new Marriott near JFK (just opened couple of months ago!) which looks very nice and new and shiny, but am debating whether to pay a bit more for the TWA hotel...

Pros of TWA hotel over Marriott: right at JFK T5 so no need to deal with airport shuttle, plus I'm flying out with Jetblue which uses T5. Pretty cool looking hotel.

Cons of TWA hotel over Marriott: reviews don't seem particularly enthused about the rooms themselves, costs about 1/3 more.

Wondering if anyone has any experience of the TWA hotel? Or if there are any recommendations for other hotels near JFK?

1st Post

Would love a little guidance.

Haven't had a new credit card in over 10 years. Neither has my spouse.

Averaged out over 12 months I would say we put $3,000-4,0000 a month on a credit card.
Paid in full every month.
Usually fly out of Boston or Providence both of which have Southwest and which we have no problem using.
Use DVC but no large existing hotel rewards balances or program preference.
Looking to travel more and to branch out to travel to different places now that the we are older and kids out of the house.
Could possibly qualify for a business card offer depending on how difficult the issuer wanted to be.

I have seen some talk about the Southwest companion card in the past but I can't seem to find anything too recent on the best tips and tricks.
Open to info on that or other ideas.
Thanks in advance.

I noticed the points for my delta flight is lower now. I'm used to being able to "change" my flight on SW to get the lower price but when I try to do that on Delta, it grays out the original flight. Do I need to cancel and rebook instead? If I do that, are points back right away? Last time I called and they took care of it for me but wait time is 39 minutes right now.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask - but I have an overnight layover at JFK so am looking for a hotel close to the airport to spend the night.

Currently I've booked the new Marriott near JFK (just opened couple of months ago!) which looks very nice and new and shiny, but am debating whether to pay a bit more for the TWA hotel...

Pros of TWA hotel over Marriott: right at JFK T5 so no need to deal with airport shuttle, plus I'm flying out with Jetblue which uses T5. Pretty cool looking hotel.

Cons of TWA hotel over Marriott: reviews don't seem particularly enthused about the rooms themselves, costs about 1/3 more.

Wondering if anyone has any experience of the TWA hotel? Or if there are any recommendations for other hotels near JFK?
No experience but that TWA has been reviewed by like all flying bloggers and my takeaway is always “don’t stay there”.

Isn’t that the hotel that didn’t even put trash cans in the rooms? Using a mat instead?

P2's CSP will roll over on 22 April. I am thinking we should close it to save the AF... Is there a way to move his URs to a central location or transfer them to his ink? Or do we have to use/cash them?

I noticed the points for my delta flight is lower now. I'm used to being able to "change" my flight on SW to get the lower price but when I try to do that on Delta, it grays out the original flight. Do I need to cancel and rebook instead? If I do that, are points back right away? Last time I called and they took care of it for me but wait time is 39 minutes right now.
if you arent a card holder its been greyed out recently people think there is a bug in the site, (this seems to happen once a year when they revamp the program)I did this for a recent trip I had 2 tabs open the original flight was on one screen other had the older flight. be careful though sometimes the price is for 1 ticket vs. two or 3.

1st Post

Averaged out over 12 months I would say we put $3,000-4,0000 a month on a credit card.
Usually fly out of Boston or Providence both of which have Southwest and which we have no problem using.
Looking to travel more and to branch out to travel to different places now that the we are older and kids out of the house.
Could possibly qualify for a business card offer depending on how difficult the issuer wanted to be.

I have seen some talk about the Southwest companion card in the past but I can't seem to find anything too recent on the best tips and tricks.
Thanks in advance.
delta and jetblue imo are the biggest out of BOS . if you have status you can get a nice deal with JetBlue (If its still going not sure if it passed). Delta is going to cost more. I might just get a CSR card and call it a day if you aren't locked into any brand.

I'm glad to hear there is a new hotel near JFK. There were no good options when I needed a room last May. I don't know anything about the TWA hotel. However, there is no way I would choose a hotel with worse ratings over a brand new hotel, especially if the one with poor ratings cost that much more.
If I remember correctly, they do not post instantly (but that might have been them refunding my cash to an e-credit) . I would call and try to change it through a phone agent.

1st Post

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! One of the most important things to remember about earning the CP is that you can only hold one personal card in the SW family of cards. So you either have to get 1 personal and 1 biz card, or do a modified double dip (MDD) for two personal cards. An MDD is when you apply for one card and then apply for a second card the next day. Two biz cards is also an option.

The CP is valid for the rest of the calendar year in which you earn it and the following calendar year. are some very important timing rules to consider if you apply at the end of a calendar year in order to earn it early the next calendar year. You don't need to worry about those if you are going to go for it now. Many husband/wife duos trade off earning it every 2 years so you don't have to juggle the card churn every 24 mos.

Sole proprietor biz card applications are usually not a problem with Chase and AmEx. As long as you earn money from doing it, it's a biz.

DL Gold Biz $150 hotel credit
-purchase 2/2
-email of pending stmt credit 2/4

The back end is Expedia, price was very close to what Marriott was charging direct. No Marriott benefits obvs but I don’t care for this one night stay. Used the link on the Amex Benefits page to book, tried through the DL website but kept ending up on the DL Vacations booking page.

Nice little extra bonus. Might make the math work out to keep the card if I fly delta enough to want the free bags next year. Weird the personal versions of these revamped DL cards have the same AF but less hotel credit.

I have always had to cancel and rebook. My points are always returned instantly. I usually have to log out and log back in, but they have always been there right away.

P2's CSP will roll over on 22 April. I am thinking we should close it to save the AF... Is there a way to move his URs to a central location or transfer them to his ink? Or do we have to use/cash them?
Yes, you can combine the points with his Ink (CIC,CIU or preferred, just not Premier). If you look through the menus when you’re in the rewards section, you’ll see “combine points” (someone else might be able to chime in with better detail on where it is - I always have to hunt around and they recently moved it).
Remember though that you can't transfer to travel partners from CIC or CIU - only the CIPreferred.

DL Gold Biz $150 hotel credit
-purchase 2/2
-email of pending stmt credit 2/4

The back end is Expedia, price was very close to what Marriott was charging direct. No Marriott benefits obvs but I don’t care for this one night stay. Used the link on the Amex Benefits page to book, tried through the DL website but kept ending up on the DL Vacations booking page.

Nice little extra bonus. Might make the math work out to keep the card if I fly delta enough to want the free bags next year. Weird the personal versions of these revamped DL cards have the same AF but less hotel credit.
Mine posted very quickly, too. We usually have at least a couple of Delta flights, and even if we don't check bags it's nice to have the 15% off point bookings

Yes, you can combine the points with his Ink (CIC,CIU or preferred, just not Premier). If you look through the menus when you’re in the rewards section, you’ll see “combine points” (someone else might be able to chime in with better detail on where it is - I always have to hunt around and they recently moved it).
Remember though that you can't transfer to travel partners from CIC or CIU - only the CIPreferred.
Awesome, thanks! I realize that we won't get as good a redemption value without his points being used through a sapphire, but if it really looks like it will be a greater than $95 deal, we can always get him a new account right before we take our trip next year... won't have a bonus, but oh well... and who knows, maybe when he goes to cancel they'll throw us an offer (fingers crossed...)

Next question... exactly one year ago today, I took the plunge back into credit cards after marrying into a heap of debt looonnnnggg ago and spending 15+ years digging out... (Thank you all for the encouragement...) Between URs, bank bonuses, and actual cashback, we have squirreled away over $5k for our big trip next year! All "free"!

The first card I chose was a Capital One Quicksilver, which has been fine... I liked the SUB and the 1.5% cash back... but overall, I *HATE* the company... 8 more days and I will be cashing out my (excellent rate, but what a headache!!!) CD's with them and burning all bridges...

I am looking at the Chase Flex next... that will give me the same 1.5% that C1 was doing, plus a $200 SUB, plus 5% on gas and groceries for a year. I looked at the Flex categories and I don't think that I would use them enough to be worth it...

Before I bite that bullet any feedback on that card? Any desperate reason I should consider the Flex?

Awesome, thanks! I realize that we won't get as good a redemption value without his points being used through a sapphire, but if it really looks like it will be a greater than $95 deal, we can always get him a new account right before we take our trip next year... won't have a bonus, but oh well... and who knows, maybe when he goes to cancel they'll throw us an offer (fingers crossed...)

If no offer, you can downgrade to a Freedom. Then when you need the benefits, upgrade back.

You wouldn’t be able to get a new Sapphire as Chase doesn’t approve cards if you’re not eligible for the bonus.

Next question... exactly one year ago today, I took the plunge back into credit cards after marrying into a heap of debt looonnnnggg ago and spending 15+ years digging out... (Thank you all for the encouragement...) Between URs, bank bonuses, and actual cashback, we have squirreled away over $5k for our big trip next year! All "free"!

The first card I chose was a Capital One Quicksilver, which has been fine... I liked the SUB and the 1.5% cash back... but overall, I *HATE* the company... 8 more days and I will be cashing out my (excellent rate, but what a headache!!!) CD's with them and burning all bridges...

I am looking at the Chase Flex next... that will give me the same 1.5% that C1 was doing, plus a $200 SUB, plus 5% on gas and groceries for a year. I looked at the Flex categories and I don't think that I would use them enough to be worth it...

Before I bite that bullet any feedback on that card? Any desperate reason I should consider the Flex?
I would get the CSP if you can meet the SUB requirements and handle the $95 AF. Then (after meeting the CSP SUB) I would get the CFU and/or CFF (not at the same time if you get both). Make sure you space this all out if you choose to get more than one card over a period of time.

The URs from the CFU and CFF can be moved to the CSP - which would give you the ability to use the URs for travel, as well as just cashing them in if that is your preference.

Of course, you could get the CSR instead of the CSP for a greater redemption value of URs (and other benefits), but the AF is $550. You would have to see if the benefits of the high AF are worth it for you and your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter