I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

So now it looks like my mom doesn't want to go to Ireland. She's upset she doesn't have a biz class seat. She's upset w/ the time of year we're going. She's upset that we're going "too short". I've booked hotels for 3, which I'm sure you know are harder to find. So now I need to go back and look at booking hotels for 2. She hasn't decided 100%, but she seems pretty set in her ways. I've thought about asking my 18yo to give up her seat for my mom, but again, this was her bday trip. I could give up my seat, but if I do that, I would try to non-rev instead on Delta. But then there is a chance I won't get there at all. So I'm super torn. I'm going to talk to her about it this weekend. But I think she wants a summer trip for closer to 2 weeks. TBH, I don't want to do something that long, LOL.

I'm a people pleaser, and so I am very much taking on the "guilt" of my mom not going. This trip was planned for 13 years, then fell apart. And now keeps falling apart. I worry what if she never gets to go later (esp after suddenly losing my dad). I'm struggling to deal with it all. It is not fun!

I think you're struggling because you know in your heart is was never right that a flight wasn't selected with three available business class seats. And the fact that your mom's cancer has returned, and there's still no courtesy to exchange seats with her, is probably a cause for a lot of her hurt. I could see how one could get the impression that they're not honored or valued. My guess is that calendar dates and length of trip are just reasons to back out of the trip because she is hurt.
Dreaming about a trip and actually planning/booking a trip are different things. Booking things with longer lead times in the future will likely result in less stress.

So now it looks like my mom doesn't want to go to Ireland. She's upset she doesn't have a biz class seat. She's upset w/ the time of year we're going. She's upset that we're going "too short". I've booked hotels for 3, which I'm sure you know are harder to find. So now I need to go back and look at booking hotels for 2. She hasn't decided 100%, but she seems pretty set in her ways. I've thought about asking my 18yo to give up her seat for my mom, but again, this was her bday trip. I could give up my seat, but if I do that, I would try to non-rev instead on Delta. But then there is a chance I won't get there at all. So I'm super torn. I'm going to talk to her about it this weekend. But I think she wants a summer trip for closer to 2 weeks. TBH, I don't want to do something that long, LOL.

I'm a people pleaser, and so I am very much taking on the "guilt" of my mom not going. This trip was planned for 13 years, then fell apart. And now keeps falling apart. I worry what if she never gets to go later (esp after suddenly losing my dad). I'm struggling to deal with it all. It is not fun!

The age old dilemma of trying to please everybody - always seems to bite you in the butt.

For me it boils down to this - it is your daughters trip. Will it enhance her trip to have your mother come along? Or would a Mother/Daughter trip for just the two of you be a better experience? If it is the latter - then you have your answer - just plan something else with your mother at another time.

If, however, your daughter really wants your mother to come - then as much as it sucks - I think you have to give up your Biz seat. You don't have to non-rev as this would put everything at risk. I just know that if I took my mother on vacation and put her in econ whilst I was in Biz, she would probably ruin the rest of the vacation by being grumpy at every opportunity and I would feel guilty to boot.

Hope it all works out for everyone. Good luck.

DH didn’t end up having to work this morning as he thought, but by the time he knew for sure, we still had to take the last flight out of MEM tonight. And wouldn’t you know it… the one time we don’t arrive at WDW at an early time, we get a room ready text at 10:30 am. I’m sure when we go in May and get there early, our room won’t be ready until late. We are on our layover at MDW now, and will arrive at MCO at 10:30 tonight, just in time for everything to be closed for the night. But that’s okay because tomorrow morning, we are getting up early and will hit the ground running for a park open to park close day. Snagged an ‘Ohana reservation for dinner tomorrow night. I know it’s hit or miss with a lot of people, but we love it!

DH didn’t end up having to work this morning as he thought, but by the time he knew for sure, we still had to take the last flight out of MEM tonight. And wouldn’t you know it… the one time we don’t arrive at WDW at an early time, we get a room ready text at 10:30 am. I’m sure when we go in May and get there early, our room won’t be ready until late. We are on our layover at MDW now, and will arrive at MCO at 10:30 tonight, just in time for everything to be closed for the night. But that’s okay because tomorrow morning, we are getting up early and will hit the ground running for a park open to park close day. Snagged an ‘Ohana reservation for dinner tomorrow night. I know it’s hit or miss with a lot of people, but we love it!
:wave:From Chicago. For our upcoming spring break trip there’s a later flight, we arrive 130 am. Bleh. But staying at Hyatt MCO and then a resort day the next day.
Have fun!!

Advice please

Just got notice that my C1 Quicksilver card will be closed (for inactivity) soon. I literally haven't used it since I came back from Japan in November 2018 (in fact at the time, before I "met" you all, I was simply looking for a card with no foreign transaction fees).

Do you all think I should make a small charge just to keep it open, or is it OK to let it go?
I have ran into that with a couple of my cards lately and elected to just make the small charge and keep it open. When they are no annual fee cards I really don’t see a disadvantage to just having them. Life changes rapidly and you never know when you might wish you had them again.

Yesterday I took my final final for my Master's program. Can't believe I'm done. I now need to figure out Japan in May. I just don't know what to do because my dad is very sick (been in the hospital the last 2.5 weeks--I need to get down to Naples in the next few weeks and spend time with him and support my mom who's exhausted) and then I've got a 17 year old dog. My ex would keep her, but I absolutely don't want her to die and to not be there. This has been a really tough season in my life:(

I hope you got in already with early entry. Enjoy your trip!!!

DH was just received denial from Chase (CIC) for the following reasons:
1. You have too many active accounts or too much available credit
2. New Chase business card recently opened

His last Chase business card was opened 7/11/2023, he opened a person Chase card 11/9/2023, applied for new card on 2/7/2024. He's 4/24 with 5 chase business cards open.

I'm not going to have him call the reconsideration line, I'll close 3 of his business cards and try again next month.
Your DH's denial got me worried about my plan to open a Hyatt Biz card in early March since I just got an Ink in mid January. I hope the real reason is #1, because #2 really doesn't make sense for you--and bodes poorly for me!
Ouch - hope this isn't a sign of Chase tightening lending policy.

I assume you have checked the obvious but just in case....

1) Total credit lines with Chase <50% income
2) Total credit utilization <10%
3) Checked credit report for anything strange (new chase biz card reason seems odd if last one was July)
4) Total Chase cards open? I haven't seen anything definitive, but I like to keep it below 4 Biz and 4 personal.

Hopefully all goes well next time.
I had not heard about the "under 4 biz and 4 personal" before! I have a lot of Inks and will consider closing some. One has a pending referral bonus so I think I should wait until that posts and then transfer. On the personal side, I have 4 but don't see wiggle room as the two I don't use are two of my oldest credit lines so I need to keep them open for that.

Anyone have experience with the southwest standby on the app? It seems I could add myself to the list for an earlier flight(more expensive) and still keep my original flight if I don't get on? Do I need to pay the higher fare if I do get on?

Oh I'm willing to drive! But Austin and San Antonio have even longer waiting times than Houston does. That said, when you click on all three cities you are not even given the option to make an appointment. I've never seen one apointment in all of these months. I've even looked into Louisiana to no avail. I could fly to like... PA or something, but geez...
Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket. I got conditional approval last night and made my appointment at one of the three airports you listed before the end of this month. I just picked soonest available and the location, there was 1 available.

Hanging head in shame ... 2 rookie mistakes last week.

First mistake: I was so excited about the companion pass deal for opening a new card, I totally forgot that DH (and I) already have SW personal cards. I was surprised when he got the 7-10 day screen as he hasn't opened any cards in a while and has plenty of income, which is when I remembered the only one personal card rule. UGH. We like the Southwest card we have so much with the 4 upgraded boardings per card that we stopped churning it. So looks like route #2 is in play ... can someone remind me how long he has to wait before applying for a SW business card? I'll have to hope for a big credit limit to put taxes/estimates on it.

Second mistake: The Hilton aspire has been one of the favorite cards in our portfolio (until the recent changes but that's another story), and we've always gotten great "value" out of the free night awards, In the past we've used them to visit our daughter and play golf in Phoenix (Biltmore and Boulders) as well as the fancy hotel in Amsterdam (can't remember name). But I totally spaced this year and forgot DH"s was expiring March 6th! Normally that wouldn't be a problem but we are in London for two weeks before that, and super busy before we leave. Trying to figure out how to not let it go with a "staycation" but it's hard swallowing it on cheap cash stays in the SF Bay Area for not great hotels. I didn't realize we didn't have any high end Hiltons near us. Thought about a last minute one-night trip to So Cal for Disneyland (we are pass holders) but flights are outrageous. So mad at myself!

I'd appreciate any help/ideas on both!

On the personal side, I have 4 but don't see wiggle room as the two I don't use are two of my oldest credit lines so I need to keep them open for that.
I'm not an expert on this but I have seen discussions suggesting that the impact of the oldest card on credit scores is minimal, especially if you have others that have been open 10 years.

First mistake: I was so excited about the companion pass deal for opening a new card, I totally forgot that DH (and I) already have SW personal cards. I was surprised when he got the 7-10 day screen as he hasn't opened any cards in a while and has plenty of income, which is when I remembered the only one personal card rule. UGH. We like the Southwest card we have so much with the 4 upgraded boardings per card that we stopped churning it. So looks like route #2 is in play ... can someone remind me how long he has to wait before applying for a SW business card? I'll have to hope for a big credit limit to put taxes/estimates on it.

Second mistake: The Hilton aspire has been one of the favorite cards in our portfolio (until the recent changes but that's another story), and we've always gotten great "value" out of the free night awards, In the past we've used them to visit our daughter and play golf in Phoenix (Biltmore and Boulders) as well as the fancy hotel in Amsterdam (can't remember name). But I totally spaced this year and forgot DH"s was expiring March 6th! Normally that wouldn't be a problem but we are in London for two weeks before that, and super busy before we leave. Trying to figure out how to not let it go with a "staycation" but it's hard swallowing it on cheap cash stays in the SF Bay Area for not great hotels. I didn't realize we didn't have any high end Hiltons near us. Thought about a last minute one-night trip to So Cal for Disneyland (we are pass holders) but flights are outrageous. So mad at myself!

This game is getting harder and more complicated. And yes, there aren't any great uses for Hilton around here. I'm also having trouble using the certs. I have used them at the GWR, the WA in Cabo (which has availability this month but the flights don't work for us), the WA down in Del Mar, and I've booked the WA in Amsterdam (the guy at the Diamond desk was really nice and applied one FNC that was due to expire before that trip). I'd love some good recommendations as well. I have one expiring in June. Can you use it on the trip to London?

Just chiming in to say - remember that the SW CP SUB deal is only on the personal cards!

It might be faster to wait for a CSP offer an then upgrade to the CSR if you want those benefits.
That's what I did a few years ago. DH could churn his CSR but with the better insurance we keep putting trips on it so we are stuck with it until Fall 2024 now. I figured if I could get a CSR we could put all new trips on that one and then he could churn his. It may not be worth the work... It has been simpler to just get an Ink card instead for the better SUB.

Ugh. DH is the one who could really use that card and with the trouble he had getting the CFU I don't think it's possible.

Still waiting for an elevated CSR offer here (I know it may never happen).
i remember going to the bank to get 100k vs 75k or whatever it was felt so weird applying in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter