I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

I can't help yet, but we're staying at the Drury in April for a quick weekend trip, and I can report back then! It was appealing to us for this upcoming trip because I used URs and $50 CSP hotel credit, and they offer early entry, no amenity fee, shuttles to parks, etc. We are hardly ever in our room on Disney trips, so luxury is never important to us for these types of trips.
Please report back! I’d love to hear how it goes. We are very familiar with the drury hotels around our area and we have never had a bad experience so I’m sure this will be no different, but for sure I wonder how the Disney drury experience will be.

My parents applied for their first passports last month. My mom got hers back last week. Then both their birth certificates came back, but my dad has not received his passport yet. We checked his application status and it says “not available”. Any ideas what that might mean or is this common? I just found it odd that he got his birth certificate back already, but no sign of his passport even being sent to him yet.

They are planning on taking their first ever trip to Italy, where my brother has been stationed for 5 years. They are so excited to see him and his kids after such a long time. I told them from all I have learned on this thread, they are probably late in starting to plan an early fall trip. 😆

My parents applied for their first passports last month. My mom got hers back last week. Then both their birth certificates came back, but my dad has not received his passport yet. We checked his application status and it says “not available”. Any ideas what that might mean or is this common? I just found it odd that he got his birth certificate back already, but no sign of his passport even being sent to him yet.

They are planning on taking their first ever trip to Italy, where my brother has been stationed for 5 years. They are so excited to see him and his kids after such a long time. I told them from all I have learned on this thread, they are probably late in starting to plan an early fall trip. 😆
I recently renewed my passport, and the status page never worked for me. I only knew it was processed because they cashed my check. Passport took just a little over a month to receive. I get the impression their status page isn’t working.

Southwest changed their site today... Now when you search RT you have to select the first flight and proceed to a second step before you can see the return options. I know, its just one extra step to check flight point costs but its change!! :badpc:
I am not a fan of the new site layout. I check on 5 flights every day right now and this has been inconvenient for me. Before I just kept all the tabs opened on my phone and refreshed the screen each morning.

Southwest changed their site today... Now when you search RT you have to select the first flight and proceed to a second step before you can see the return options. I know, its just one extra step to check flight point costs but its change!! :badpc:
I don’t like the change, was much easier to see in one step if any flights went down in price the old way

Last edited:
Awhile back someone (perhaps @djmeredith ?) posted a very specific dp of getting their Hilton FNC extended. What I recall was that they called the diamond desk with a specific redemption date and property, past their expiration date. The rep did extend it to that date. They noted it was a one time extension and the amended cert had the date of the new redemption.

I thought their advice was that the Diamond Desk seemed more willing to do the extension with a specific redemption in mind than just a generic extension request. So their recommendation was even if you don't have a specific redemption, to find a property with a date further out, make the request and book it, and then you can cancel but keep the new (one time) extended date.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely pop down to WA Los Cabos pedregal to burn that cert, even if it was just for the night or two.
No, that wasn't me but I think someone mentioned something similar here recently.
I am taking the plunge and finally using up a bunch of points on a dream Japan trip in May/June. Used a chunk of Delta points for the flight (but still watching in case ANA / Virgin availability pops up), and am burning lots of Hyatt points as well. Snagged one stray night at the Park Hyatt Kyoto to possibly give it a try, need to decide if switching hotels is worth it since it looks like you do generally need a taxi to get there, I'd just send bags off to the next destination given just one night. Planning to spend the rest of the Tokyo days at the Grand Hyatt 25k/night most likely, sounds like the Hyatt Regency is due for lots of refurbs beginning in May/June and I don't want to deal with that. I would LOVE to grab the new Hyatt House Shibuya for 15k/night but points nights are sold out. Not sure how good of a chance I have of it reopening for my exact dates, as they have a washer/dryer in room, who would let that reservation go? :hyper: (Of course Tokyo Disney is in the plans too, but sadly I don't do Hilton points, so I have Toy Story hotel booked on cash for now)

I have a lot of Capital One points I haven't had a good use for that I can transfer to Virgin if needed. I know ANA awards are really hard to get that way, but once I'm a couple weeks out I'll start watching closely. Virgin does have good availability for direct flights to HND from my airport in the upcoming month or two, nothing for my trip dates but I imagine it might just be too far out. If they do become available, it'll be less Virgin points to fly direct from MSP than I am currently paying for Delta from LAX. Crossing all my fingers and toes. I'd have to pay for the 2nd bag, but I think I could handle that for a nonstop flight instead of having to do two RT flights!

Feels like I have just been hoarding points for so many years, and not using them, so it's good to finally have some plans forming. Once all this is done I'll have to start thinking about the next cc as I think I am down to 3 in 24 months now...
Congrats on cashing in your pts for an amazing trip! Several of us from this board are planning Japan trips right now, so we started a thread over on the Tokyo Disney Board here. There is also some good info over there from older threads if you haven't checked it out yet.

I tried multiple time to extend a cert that way with no luck. Then DH called to book the WA in Amsterdam with one cert and a bunch of points and the Hilton guy saw he had another cert that was due to expire and he said he could apply that one, too! Without asking, but with all of the comments about this is a one time thing, etc. So it may just be luck of the draw in terms of who answers the phone, although I did the HUCA quite a few times with no luck. Cabo is playing games with the points rooms right now (which really makes me like them a lot less than before) and by the time they release them I can't get a decent flight - after months of trying I'm pivoting to yet another trip to Hawaii.

Curious how long past expiration was he able to book? My impression is they can't extend it that far. I've read a 30 day limit, but also seen DP a little past that, so maybe it's something like 2 months.

. I would LOVE to grab the new Hyatt House Shibuya for 15k/night but points nights are sold out. Not sure how good of a chance I have of it reopening for my exact dates, as they have a washer/dryer in room, who would let that reservation go? :hyper:
Congrats on booking an amazing trip!! There are some good alert services out there. Openhotelalert, Staywithpoints, Maxmypoint
Yes the calling is the downside…I heard Virgin has long waits and they no longer hold flights for point transfers. Since I still have a few months I plan to get my virgin account set up and test transfer a small amount of points to at least get my account ready.
I have had good wait times with Virgin Atlantic Loyalty Club wait times, just be sure you select loyalty club or the similar prompt to get to the right place. 1-800-365-9500
I would set up a Virgin account right now.
If an account is less than 24 hours old, you can't book online (sounds like you can't anyways), but just an fyi.
I tried multiple time to extend a cert that way with no luck. Then DH called to book the WA in Amsterdam with one cert and a bunch of points and the Hilton guy saw he had another cert that was due to expire and he said he could apply that one, too! Without asking, but with all of the comments about this is a one time thing, etc. So it may just be luck of the draw in terms of who answers the phone, although I did the HUCA quite a few times with no luck. Cabo is playing games with the points rooms right now (which really makes me like them a lot less than before) and by the time they release them I can't get a decent flight - after months of trying I'm pivoting to yet another trip to Hawaii.
If I had to guess, I think the key words here were "DH called... and the Hilton guy." Male privilege :rotfl2:

I think we've commonly received our documents back first, which is our indication that passport should be coming within a week.

Also tagging @mmmears and @emilymad -

My advice is to make a dummy booking for the expiring FNC as far out as they'll allow. Ahead of the call, I would pick a booking two weeks out (which has a high likelihood of being approved) as the backup booking, and one farther out (one month? two months?) to see if they're willing to extend it that far. Ask to extend the FNC to the one furthest out, and if they can't, then request the other one. Once the FNC has been extended that's a one-and-done, no backsies. But once they extend it, it takes on the new expiration date and you can cancel it and it goes back into your account.

As an example, I extended an expiring FNC by two days expecting I would use it that weekend. Turns out the family weekend ended up scheduled the next weekend, and I couldn't use the FNC because I had already extended it once. So I ended up losing that FNC. 🙁

If you're Diamond, in the same area that your FNC resides there's a blue button "Request a Call" to be called by Hilton and I've found the reps much more helpful than the usual.

This is the Hilton FNC extension dp I was remembering. I do think it's good advice from others to HUCA if you don't get the response you want.

Curious how long past expiration was he able to book? My impression is they can't extend it that far. I've read a 30 day limit, but also seen DP a little past that, so maybe it's something like 2 months.

Looks like it was about 2 months. He did say that this wasn't usual. I'm very grateful, but it was kind of annoying that I called multiple times for my cert and they weren't able to do anything at all for me.

Trying to decide on either my next or DH's next card and have a few questions. I have to wait a bit for Chase due to timing so I'm looking at other issuer's personal or biz cards. Nothing for Amex is jumping out at me, so far I haven't gotten into MR's because I don't think they fit our travel needs. I'd like either cash back or points for travel expenses that can be erased. Our air and hotel is covered for our summer trips, but I would still like to cover the cost for Universal tickets, cost of car rental (but want to put on CSR for car rental protection) and food. So, here are my questions :)

US Bank Altitude Connect (personal) - this offer is for 50k points (worth $500), plus TSA precheck, $0 AF first year, 4 Priority pass visits, and $30 streaming credit. Only $2k MSR/120 days. This seems like a really good offer to me, but I don't see it on DOC's list of best cc offers. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any experience with this card that could weigh in with their experience? I've had previous US Bank biz cards, but never any personal cards.

Capital One Venture - can miles be redeemed for UCT ticket purchases? I found an article that said they could, but it was about a year old so wanted to check if that was still correct.

If there are any other cards I should consider please let me know that too. Thank you!

Trying to decide on either my next or DH's next card and have a few questions. I have to wait a bit for Chase due to timing so I'm looking at other issuer's personal or biz cards. Nothing for Amex is jumping out at me, so far I haven't gotten into MR's because I don't think they fit our travel needs. I'd like either cash back or points for travel expenses that can be erased. Our air and hotel is covered for our summer trips, but I would still like to cover the cost for Universal tickets, cost of car rental (but want to put on CSR for car rental protection) and food. So, here are my questions :)

US Bank Altitude Connect (personal) - this offer is for 50k points (worth $500), plus TSA precheck, $0 AF first year, 4 Priority pass visits, and $30 streaming credit. Only $2k MSR/120 days. This seems like a really good offer to me, but I don't see it on DOC's list of best cc offers. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any experience with this card that could weigh in with their experience? I've had previous US Bank biz cards, but never any personal cards.

Capital One Venture - can miles be redeemed for UCT ticket purchases? I found an article that said they could, but it was about a year old so wanted to check if that was still correct.

If there are any other cards I should consider please let me know that too. Thank you!
p2 had the Connect, super easy. Made the spend, cashed out the points into our checking. Seemed like a great deal to me.

Unless something changed drastically, UCT has always coded as travel with the Venture.

I've been using the link someone posted to pay your Verizon bill (or part of it) via CC but also keep your bank draft discount. Just went to pay mine today and got a pop up about the bank draft discount being removed if I paid by CC. I guess they closed that loophole (unless I have the wrong URL in my notes).

I tried paying all but $10 via CC and got the pop-up and then tried about half of it, same thing. Anyone else experience that recently?

What do people think of the likelihood of Hawaiian’s premium airport experience triggering the Amex Platinum airline credits? I’m tempted because I don’t have any other use for them.

Awhile back someone (perhaps @djmeredith ?) posted a very specific dp of getting their Hilton FNC extended. What I recall was that they called the diamond desk with a specific redemption date and property, past their expiration date. The rep did extend it to that date. They noted it was a one time extension and the amended cert had the date of the new redemption.

I thought their advice was that the Diamond Desk seemed more willing to do the extension with a specific redemption in mind than just a generic extension request. So their recommendation was even if you don't have a specific redemption, to find a property with a date further out, make the request and book it, and then you can cancel but keep the new (one time) extended date.

Since you're in CA, I would definitely pop down to WA Los Cabos pedregal to burn that cert, even if it was just for the night or two.
Thanks so much for the head's up. I wish I'd seen this before I had DH book something! We decided to do a day trip from London to Brighton and use it there. I hope this never happens again, but if it does, I will definitely give it a shot. We usually use them to visit out DD in Pheonix to play golf at the Biltmore or Boulders. I was trying to find Amsterdam availably but no luck. Ah well, now I have the dates on my calendar so hopefully this won't happen again. Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter