I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi disboards credit card community, newbie here looking for some advice (TLDR- I’d like to get the Disney Visa but want to make sure I’m putting the right charges on it). I’ve been reading the current pages for a little bit, searched Disney Visa, and I studied the posts on the first pages, so I think I understand the format of how I should phrase my question.

Current cards/only personal credit cards I’ve ever had (I had several in my name from an old job but those would have been canceled by them over 2 years ago)-

2001- Bank of Americard Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used a couple times a year at most because it auto-refills my Starbucks card only

2018- Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used randomly whenever I decide to switch from the Chase

2019 Chase Sapphire Preferred- sometimes carries a balance, used primarily, but with no thought process behind it or the BOA

Travel- infrequently for work (right now 1-2x year), frequently for fun. I have every airline loyalty number but always pick whatever is cheapest, therefore currently trying to book with my Frontier Annual GoWild Pass (or Southwest because I appreciate their cancelation policies but they are rarely the cheapest these days). I use WAS as my airport code, though DCA is definitely the most convenient. I book most non-Frontier/SW travel through Orbitz and use their rewards for hotel stays, though I try to go places with friends I can stay with so I don’t book that many hotels. I have no hotel allegiance, just whatever is cheapest. I travel alone so there’s no other input necessary to consider.

Spending- outside of travel, mostly utilities, groceries and random Amazon purchases. I have no car (and don’t rent them so never buy gas) and no pets. I have had all the streaming services in the past, but currently just HBO. I have no anticipated large expenses coming up (outside of significant dental work, haven’t thought through the best way to do that yet).

Goals- in general spend smarter, but more specifically I’d like to use my rewards for Disney! I’ve done 5 trips, and knees willing aim to keep going to WDW once a year for the marathon weekend in January staying on property. Last year I also made two 1-day trips to the Food and Wine Festival to eat all the things and it was perfect (stayed off property). I’d love to do that again, and other race weekends staying on property, but the park tickets always get me since I can’t use points on them (that I’m aware of with my current setup). Someday I’d love to be an AP but right now I’m only averaging 3 park days/year.

Impression: Though I read a bunch of articles saying how bad the Disney Visa is compared to other reward cards, I think it makes sense for me. Even if I only use it for the discounts on race merchandise it’s huge benefit, since that is stuff I’m buying at full price already. I also eat at some of the restaurants listed.

Question: so I guess my overall question is, assuming I apply for and get the Disney Visa, how can I best maximize my use of it? Between the two other CCs (ignoring the old BOA one since the others have better rewards) and discounted DGCs I know I need to play the game better of what charges go where. I think the Chase should get the travel and groceries, and Disney anything that codes as entertainment? Or other? I got the newer BOA just to have a backup when my first and only card at the time was stolen out of my hand. Should I use it less so my rewards get funneled to the other spots where I can accumulate them more efficiently?

I really appreciate this community and the opportunity to learn from you! Thank you!
If the only thing you are really going to use the Disney card for is the discounts, I'd look into getting a Chase Disney Checking account. That debit card has all of the benefits of the credit card except the six months no interest on a package. I'd look at either the Chase Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex to pair with your Sapphire Preferred. You can combine all the points and then transfer to SW, United or Hyatt for travel.

Regarding upgrading a Chase Marriott Boundless to a Ritz -- does it need to have a min $10K CL (like the CSR)?

Another question -- if you qualify for a SW CP and it gets issued, can it be clawed back if you have returns that reduce your qualifying RRs to below the required 135K?
That is what I've read for the RC because it's a Visa Infinite.

Chase hasn't actually clawed the points out of the RR account IME, you just go negative on the card and you work your way out of it. Once you go positive is when they start sending to the RR account again. So you should be able to 'make up' the spend.

Now that I have met the spend and earned my SW CP I need a new SUB to work on. I was thinking of going for an AMEX BIiz Plat because I will have the spend to meet the high MSR now. I have an elevated SUB offer of 150,000 MRs in my account but was hoping for something higher. Would you go for this SUB now or take the chance of a higher offer in the next month or two? I need to take a break from Chase since I just got 1 SW biz card in 11/23 and 1 in 1/24 so I am looking for a non-Chase biz card. Thanks for your thoughts.
I'd look for a higher offer. I found the 190K offer in my account recently so I know it's out there - you can probably find it online.

That is what I've read for the RC because it's a Visa Infinite.

Chase hasn't actually clawed the points out of the RR account IME, you just go negative on the card and you work your way out of it. Once you go positive is when they start sending to the RR account again. So you should be able to 'make up' the spend.
Thank you! That makes sense.

Hi disboards credit card community, newbie here looking for some advice (TLDR- I’d like to get the Disney Visa but want to make sure I’m putting the right charges on it). I’ve been reading the current pages for a little bit, searched Disney Visa, and I studied the posts on the first pages, so I think I understand the format of how I should phrase my question.

Current cards/only personal credit cards I’ve ever had (I had several in my name from an old job but those would have been canceled by them over 2 years ago)-

2001- Bank of Americard Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used a couple times a year at most because it auto-refills my Starbucks card only

2018- Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa Signature: no balance, used randomly whenever I decide to switch from the Chase

2019 Chase Sapphire Preferred- sometimes carries a balance, used primarily, but with no thought process behind it or the BOA

Travel- infrequently for work (right now 1-2x year), frequently for fun. I have every airline loyalty number but always pick whatever is cheapest, therefore currently trying to book with my Frontier Annual GoWild Pass (or Southwest because I appreciate their cancelation policies but they are rarely the cheapest these days). I use WAS as my airport code, though DCA is definitely the most convenient. I book most non-Frontier/SW travel through Orbitz and use their rewards for hotel stays, though I try to go places with friends I can stay with so I don’t book that many hotels. I have no hotel allegiance, just whatever is cheapest. I travel alone so there’s no other input necessary to consider.

Spending- outside of travel, mostly utilities, groceries and random Amazon purchases. I have no car (and don’t rent them so never buy gas) and no pets. I have had all the streaming services in the past, but currently just HBO. I have no anticipated large expenses coming up (outside of significant dental work, haven’t thought through the best way to do that yet).

Goals- in general spend smarter, but more specifically I’d like to use my rewards for Disney! I’ve done 5 trips, and knees willing aim to keep going to WDW once a year for the marathon weekend in January staying on property. Last year I also made two 1-day trips to the Food and Wine Festival to eat all the things and it was perfect (stayed off property). I’d love to do that again, and other race weekends staying on property, but the park tickets always get me since I can’t use points on them (that I’m aware of with my current setup). Someday I’d love to be an AP but right now I’m only averaging 3 park days/year.

Impression: Though I read a bunch of articles saying how bad the Disney Visa is compared to other reward cards, I think it makes sense for me. Even if I only use it for the discounts on race merchandise it’s huge benefit, since that is stuff I’m buying at full price already. I also eat at some of the restaurants listed.

Question: so I guess my overall question is, assuming I apply for and get the Disney Visa, how can I best maximize my use of it? Between the two other CCs (ignoring the old BOA one since the others have better rewards) and discounted DGCs I know I need to play the game better of what charges go where. I think the Chase should get the travel and groceries, and Disney anything that codes as entertainment? Or other? I got the newer BOA just to have a backup when my first and only card at the time was stolen out of my hand. Should I use it less so my rewards get funneled to the other spots where I can accumulate them more efficiently?

I really appreciate this community and the opportunity to learn from you! Thank you!
Welcome! Most people here do not think the Dis Visa is an effective way to earn bonus pts for Dis travel. I am definitely not an expert in using cards to pay for Dis trips. I remember some people have mentioned a Capital One "erase" travel purchase option. Off the top of my head, that is the only direct way to use cc pts to directly "pay" for Dis that I can remember.

Marriott cards sometimes offer a SUB of 5 free nt certificates (FNCs) (up to 55K). I used the 5 FNCs to book Swan Reserve last Labor Day weekend. Marriott lets you top off up to 15K per nt, so you can use those FNCs for any nt 70K or less. However, people here are reporting recently that it has become very hard to find Swolphin availability for 70K pts or less.

A lot of us here purchase Dis GCs using discount tricks then use those to pay for trip expenses. Use your credit cards to pay for those GCs, and you end up getting 10%+ off your Dis trip plus earning a bunch pts. There is another thread that gives specific tips on Dis GC discounts.

Last edited:
A lot of us here purchase Dis GCs using discount tricks then use those to pay for trip expenses. Use your credit cards to pay for those GCs, and you end up getting 10%+ off your Dis trip plus earning a bunch pts. There is another thread that gives specific tips on Dis GC discounts.
Thanks for the tips! I learned about the discounted GCs right before my last trip and it made a huge difference, will definitely be keeping an eye out again this year.

You might be able to pull up a 190k offer via public link. There is also a 200k offer via targeted link on DoC. Link
I tried the link but it was dead. Thanks for the suggestion.
I'd look for a higher offer. I found the 190K offer in my account recently so I know it's out there - you can probably find it online.
I tried several times on different computers but so far the highest I can get is 150k. I think I will just wait and support DD for an Ink and an AMEX Personal Plat in the mean time. Maybe I will find another biz card offer which will be good for future travel plans. Meeting MSRs and earning SUBs has become addictive.

I tried the link but it was dead. Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried several times on different computers but so far the highest I can get is 150k. I think I will just wait and support DD for an Ink and an AMEX Personal Plat in the mean time. Maybe I will find another biz card offer which will be good for future travel plans. Meeting MSRs and earning SUBs has become addictive.
That's a shame. DH got one for 150K late last year and we were so happy with the SUB but when there is a better offer out there it suddenly doesn't look all shiny and nice now. I've been looking for a better CSR SUB and can't find one so I know how it feels.

That's a shame. DH got one for 150K late last year and we were so happy with the SUB but when there is a better offer out there it suddenly doesn't look all shiny and nice now. I've been looking for a better CSR SUB and can't find one so I know how it feels.
I feel like I am being greeedy wanting something higher. I just checked and the support link is only giving 80K for Personal Plat for DD so I guess that will have to wait. It looks like she might be able to get 190K for the biz Plat so that might be an option. I know a lot of people are looking for better CSR or CSP SUBs so hopefully there will be one soon.

Went for the Barclays Wyndham biz because we have a trip to Vegas coming up. App went pending for a few days, so I called yesterday. Was told I was approved, but no approval e-mail and then the status website changed to declined ("Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card" message). Not sure what to think. Anyone run into this before?

Do Barclays biz cards show up in your online account along with personal cards? I used to have the Aviator biz and Jetblue biz, but now I can't remember. I think they used to be card specific sites back then.

Regarding upgrading a Chase Marriott Boundless to a Ritz -- does it need to have a min $10K CL (like the CSR)?

Another question -- if you qualify for a SW CP and it gets issued, can it be clawed back if you have returns that reduce your qualifying RRs to below the required 135K?

Yes, the RC will need a $10k CL

Went for the Barclays Wyndham biz because we have a trip to Vegas coming up. App went pending for a few days, so I called yesterday. Was told I was approved, but no approval e-mail and then the status website changed to declined ("Currently we are unable to offer you a credit card" message). Not sure what to think. Anyone run into this before?

Do Barclays biz cards show up in your online account along with personal cards? I used to have the Aviator biz and Jetblue biz, but now I can't remember. I think they used to be card specific sites back then.

Mine did.

I haven't dealt with Barclays since my last Arrival+, but the other day I read a person's experience with applying for the Wyndham Biz and it was an extended drawn out process lasting months and repeated mailing in of ID-sensitive documents. I think he applied in December and only just got approved recently. But not actually approved, because when he called back because he hadn't received the card yet, the fraud department said that the hold on his application was never cleared despite copious notes -- on their end! --documenting that he had been approved. He's still waiting for the card...and get this, his CL is $1300. I hope you have a better experience than he did!

Yes, the RC will need a $10k CL
Thanks! Do you recall when you got the 85K FNC and AF charge from upgrading? I also appreciated your tip about the UATB with the RC card, I'd never considered that. Back when I had the RC card (my first foray into the miles & points world ten years ago), it was a pain to use that $300 credit so I closed it. But both DH & I have Boundless cards we can upgrade if we want to.

Though I read a bunch of articles saying how bad the Disney Visa is compared to other reward cards, I think it makes sense for me. Even if I only use it for the discounts on race merchandise it’s huge benefit, since that is stuff I’m buying at full price already.
This won’t follow the norm of this thread, but I love my Disney card! I want to own DVC, but haven’t pulled the trigger. I want an AP, but I’m out of state and haven’t pulled the trigger there either (maybe this summer). So my attachment to this card is 100% emotional. It makes me happy every time i use it and has been the best conversation starter. I change my card design all the time and that discount when I’m on property and at rD events makes it worth it for me. I also like having the 6 month 0% option on resort packages. It’s also the card that my DD is an authorized user on so it gets any spend she makes until she’s old enough to get her own card.

I’ve learned A TON from this board and am so thankful for everyone who shares their wisdom. I have SW, CSR, and Hyatt in my wallet and a couple of biz cards. I was intentional with each and every one and use them primarily to get myself to visit the Mouse. The Disney dollars earned are pitiful compared to other card points, but you best believe I spend those “free” dollars at Disney with zero guilt 😂

I have also learned my comfort level with this hobby and I know I won’t be a high level churner. So I guess this was a long way of saying sometimes you just have to choose the card that makes the most sense for you. Reading your post, it sounds like it could make sense for you!

Thanks! Do you recall when you got the 85K FNC and AF charge from upgrading? I also appreciated your tip about the UATB with the RC card, I'd never considered that. Back when I had the RC card (my first foray into the miles & points world ten years ago), it was a pain to use that $300 credit so I closed it. But both DH & I have Boundless cards we can upgrade if we want to.
I don’t off the top of my head but it seems to be my card anniversary date. I think it upgrades based on your Boundless. So I’d upgrade before your card anniversary date.

You’re welcome ☺️ Those UTB funds do come in handy!

This won’t follow the norm of this thread, but I love my Disney card! I want to own DVC, but haven’t pulled the trigger. I want an AP, but I’m out of state and haven’t pulled the trigger there either (maybe this summer). So my attachment to this card is 100% emotional. It makes me happy every time i use it and has been the best conversation starter. I change my card design all the time and that discount when I’m on property and at rD events makes it worth it for me. I also like having the 6 month 0% option on resort packages. It’s also the card that my DD is an authorized user on so it gets any spend she makes until she’s old enough to get her own card.

I’ve learned A TON from this board and am so thankful for everyone who shares their wisdom. I have SW, CSR, and Hyatt in my wallet and a couple of biz cards. I was intentional with each and every one and use them primarily to get myself to visit the Mouse. The Disney dollars earned are pitiful compared to other card points, but you best believe I spend those “free” dollars at Disney with zero guilt 😂

I have also learned my comfort level with this hobby and I know I won’t be a high level churner. So I guess this was a long way of saying sometimes you just have to choose the card that makes the most sense for you. Reading your post, it sounds like it could make sense for you!
I think if there is one thing we can all agree on this board it’s that there is no wrong way to churn. We started off with just using our Disney cards for everything and earned a couple cruises along the way. Circumstances and desires being different we could easily still be doing that and it would be just fine. It was the announcement of the Scotland ABD that changed everything for me.

We all have to do what is in our comfort zone and there’s nothing wrong with that. FWIW I have never let go of my Disney Visa. I also have an emotional attachment to it. I only make an Amazon reload once a year now on it but I don’t ever see myself being able to cancel it either 😊

I do miss the Disney Visa as a conversation starter. Or servers at restaurants saying "OMG, that's the cutest card I've ever seen" to my Sorcerer Mickey card. I wish I had kept that design because they took it away! And DH gets compliments on his Millennium Falcon card and won't let go of that old design. But he only uses it on the off chance he's buying something in between me giving him MSRs to meet, lol.

Our Disney Visas were also the first cards DH and I got after getting together 13 years ago. We used the MSRs to get our first APs to WDW. We'll keep them forever even if we hardly use them.

If the only thing you are really going to use the Disney card for is the discounts, I'd look into getting a Chase Disney Checking account. That debit card has all of the benefits of the credit card except the six months no interest on a package. I'd look at either the Chase Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex to pair with your Sapphire Preferred. You can combine all the points and then transfer to SW, United or Hyatt for travel.
Is there a way I can get the Disney Debit card attached to my already open Chase account or does it have to be a new Checking account?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter